Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #2011
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
OT but some of you might just understand.

My dad, 82, was complaining about how his GPS keeps taking his "via" all the time instead of where he wants to go. I asked him if he ever "stopped" his trips and started new ones. Nope, not since he got it in 2006. So I showed him on mine how to go in and clear the trip information and start new trips. He still didn't get it, so he gave his GPS to me for me to clear. Ok, I go into the trip data and I exclaim quite loudly in shock, "113 miles per hour? When did you drive 113 miles per hour?" Boy, that go my mother going, "I'll tell you when he drove 113 miles an hour . . . " Then dad jumping in with, "I never drove that fast, that thing is wrong . . . " Well, it was all downhill from there. Talk about opening a can of worms! (Mom's going to call me when dad isn't home and tell me the story.)

So, what's the highest speed you've recorded on your GPS? Dh got up to 88 mph on either 77 or 26 once. I doubt I've ever reached 80.
Your father sounds like my 86 year old father. Loves to drive and drive fast. He can't stand to be behind anyone, so he's constantly switching lanes so he doesn't have to fool with his cruise control. It must be the generation when there weren't too many cars on the road so you could go as fast as you want.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #2012
chipper10
Disney Obsessed

Hi, everyone!
We are planning on driving to Disney in May. We will have our 6 year old and just turned 2 year old sons with us. Does anyone have any tips for driving with little ones? DS2 will just barely be 2, so I don't even know what to pack so that he will be entertained on the drive.
We will be driving from St. Louis to WDW. I would like to get to Gainesville before we stop for the night. (Well, ideally I would like to make it to Disney World in a day, but I just don't see that happening with the kiddos.) We will leave the house around 3am and DH and I will take turn driving.
Thanks for any advice!

Next Trip -- May 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #2013
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonR

Btw.....does anyone know where we can stop in each one of those states asking that route to pick up state refrigerator magnets? We need Delaware, Virginia, north and south Carolina, and Georgia.
The welcome centers usually have state magnets. The route you're taking won't take you through Delaware though.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #2014
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

We are driving from Michigan to WDW next month

I checked Mapquest and it gives two routes:

1). I 75 S to Florida's Turnpike S (18 hrs 21 mins / 1159.85 miles)
2). I 75 S to US 27 S 18 hrs 42 mins / 1160.35 miles

What are the pros and cons of taking each route?

Thanks!

1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR - Homebased Travel Agent Forum

Angela
Me DS24 DS19

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #2015
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Got a late start, left Pa at 11, in Virginia with about 340 miles till we stop for the night.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #2016
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody!!!!

2013 DH & I will be spending Thanksgiving on the Disney Fantasy for my 60th Birthday which actually falls right on Thanksgiving. Yay!!!!!
Be sure to let us know how it was! We are planning to be on the Fantasy in 2014 for Thanksgiving, once they finally release the dates! And Happy Birthday!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #2017
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Be sure to let us know how it was! We are planning to be on the Fantasy in 2014 for Thanksgiving, once they finally release the dates! And Happy Birthday!
Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

I sure will get back on how it went. I'm sure this thread will still be going since it has come this far along already.

We will be driving down in April 2013 for DHs Birthday, staying at AKLV 1 bedroom Concierge at Jambo for 3 nights and then going on a 3 night DCL cruise on the Dream followed by 1 night at BLT studio with a MK view. We will be driving for both this trip & the November trip. The April trip we were originally going to leave on Saturday night after I finish work and get to WDW by Sunday. I couldn't get Sunday at AKLV so now I am thinking of either leaving Sunday morning or still getting on the road Saturday & stopping at hotels on the way down. DH & I aren't getting any younger and it is getting harder to drive straight through. The stops at rest stops are getting longer and it would be easier to sleep on a bed in a hotel than in the car with the seats laid back. Since we will have a washer & dryer at the Villa we can wash stuff the last night before the cruise while we are relaxing. That way we wouldn't need to pack so much. What we wear at the parks will be the same stuff we will wear on the cruise. We won't need dressy clothes, so that will make it easier to pack, too.
97HINB&RIUS99CSR00WL01HRPDTD02HINB&WL30AnV&A03DTDTD04BWDTD&AKLSunsetSafari05DTDTD&POR06DTDTD07ASMFS08Wonder&BC09November28Magic&DTDTD10BW11May29Dream1/12DTDTD&WL8/12Fantasy40An.Remy&DTDTDJoinedDVC4/13AKVCL,DCLDream,BLT11/13Fantasy Thanksgiving/AKLVKidani

Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #2018
Allieran3

5 hours to go.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #2019
StuffedwFluff
Mouseketeer

Nervous

I am planning on driving 2350 miles in May, from Utah to WdW. It will be me, dh, ds 5, dd 4, ds 2, and the two in-laws. I've done this drive as a child several times and I loved it, but now that I'm the parent I'm kind of stressing out. My husband and I have driven to california and new mexico several times, but never across the country.
I'm nervous about being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. (My dear sweet husband and his father know nothing about fixing cars.) I'm at the point of packing a tent and sleeping bags just in case. I'm driving myself crazy! Please calm my fears about our first three day drive across the country!
Also, any route ideas would be great! I can't decide between the north or south route.

Last edited by StuffedwFluff; 11-27-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #2020
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Back home from our 4th drive to Disney with a side to spend Thanksgiving with the grandkids in TX. Car unpacked and now to put away the Disney ornaments, the wine from F&W, and all the other goodies we got.
Will be home for one week and then drive back down to Disney for the MVMCP and Candlelight Processional - our 5th drive down this year.
Oh by the way - looked at our top speed on the GPS - 103 - not the record though - our old one had 111.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #2021
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedwFluff View Post
I'm nervous about being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. (My dear sweet husband and his father know nothing about fixing cars.) I'm at the point of packing a tent and sleeping bags just in case. I'm driving myself crazy! Please calm my fears about our first three day drive across the country!
I looked at your routes on Mapquest, and it looks like it's going to be three long days. About 12 hours each day. One car or two? If one car with four drivers, it's doable. But I'd like a day or two extra to possibly do some sightseeing along the way. After all, you're be passing by such landmarks as...Graceland (southern route), Gateway Arch (northern route) and Lookout Mountain (northern route)

I wouldn't worry too much about cell phone coverage. Assuming you have good cell phone coverage and not Willie's Bargain Basement coverage, you'll be fine on interstate, and I think you'll be OK off the interstate as well.

Quote:
Also, any route ideas would be great! I can't decide between the north or south route.
Southern route is shorter, but it takes you off the interstate more. Northern route is more interstate (only about 50 miles off interstate vs. about 900 miles off interstate on the southern route). I may take one route down and one route home. If you're really worried about being in the middle of nowhere, I'd take the northern route. At least you'll be on interstate for over 95% of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #2022
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
Back home from our 4th drive to Disney with a side to spend Thanksgiving with the grandkids in TX. Car unpacked and now to put away the Disney ornaments, the wine from F&W, and all the other goodies we got.
Will be home for one week and then drive back down to Disney for the MVMCP and Candlelight Processional - our 5th drive down this year.
Oh by the way - looked at our top speed on the GPS - 103 - not the record though - our old one had 111.
Your 4th WDW drive is updated in this thread's all-time records [see post #1 on Page #1]

All-Time "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" Records (updated 11/27/12)

Most Total Drives: 53 (since '73): dvczerfs

Most Drives in One Decade/10-Year Period: 26 (2003-2012): bc1836

Most Drives in One Calendar Year: 4 (four times: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011): bc1836; (two times: 2009 & 2012): cruisingkat

Most Drives in One 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09): cruisingkat; (12/09-12/10): bc1836

Most "Non-Stop" Drives: 12 (2008-2012): bc1836

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009): cruisingkat

Most passengers in one vehicle: 10 (2010: 2 adults, 8 kids; 1999 Chevy Express Van): birdslightyear (aka just*the*ten*of*us)

Longest Drive (one way): 2,020 miles (2011): Shir Khan (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)

Second Longest Drive (one way): 1,953 miles (2011): peigirl (Stratford, Prince Edward Island, Canada)
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #2023
StuffedwFluff
Mouseketeer

Thank you LadyBeBop! I was thinking of doing two routes, one north (the shorter one to get there faster) and south on the way home. There will be four drivers in one car, so I think we'll be fine hours wise. My husband and Father in law love driving the entire way to California (10 hours). We're hoping to do 15-16 hours the first two days (starting at the butt crack of dawn so the kids can sleep in the car) and about four or five hours the last day.
Thank you for all of your great information!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #2024
wmcyip
Earning My Ears

Our (with dh and ds(4)) first drive scheduled for 12/1 but will be at SW before landing WDW on 12/5

Will take it slow spanning 2 days, will overnight in NC

Can't wait but nervous at the same time

And will expect many pee pee stops, lol
Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #2025
Allieran3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcyip
Our (with dh and ds(4)) first drive scheduled for 12/1 but will be at SW before landing WDW on 12/5

Will take it slow spanning 2 days, will overnight in NC

Can't wait but nervous at the same time

And will expect many pee pee stops, lol
We also took it slow, stopping in SC overnight. I could not drive straight thru. We did 8.5 hrs the first night and 7.5 the second day and arrived at Pop around 4:30pm yesterday!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: