Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #1966
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.
 
sharadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 6,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
good evening everyone.
just checking in. it has been a ruff week around here. we lost power monday night around 4pm. the roof came off around 10pm monday night.
we are well and the roof can be put back on. we were in a hotel near allentown from tuesday morning till sat. morning.our power came back on.
we went shopping and refilled our fridge and freezer that we lost.
we had a home cooked meal tonight for a change.
in other news, dd19, briana, auditioned to dance at wdw a few weeks ago in philly. she got an email tuesday afternoon, after we lost our roof and sitting in a hotel, she did not get the part. shes fine....... i took it harder than she did. she said no big deal, she had fun doing it and will try again in 6 months when the auditions start up again.
so, we are some what back to normal.
prayers for the people on the coast. i spent alot of time as kid on long beach island nj. (sea shell motel, beach haven.) sad to see it wiped out like it is. tammy and i got engaged at the sea shell in 1983. the hotel was on the beach and im sure not much of it is left.
ill check in later. have a good week!
Thanks for checking in. So sorry to hear that Briana lost the part, but she'll get one eventually!

Rough few weeks here, too. Started 3 weeks ago, my mother passed away without any warning or being sick, had to take care of all of the arrangements since my father was too distraught to really think straight. It was difficult but we made it through and I think we gave her a great send-off in the style she would have appreciated.

Also sold our house, so had to go through inspections on the one we want to buy and ours. The sellers on the "new" house were real jerks and didn't care that my mother had passed and wouldn't give us any extra time on inspections, etc, so we had to do all the "stuff" associated with buying a house at the same time. Believe me, I am deciding on a speech at closing to them, I know I will NOT shake their hand at the end of the transaction.

We lost flashing on the roof and lots of shingles, but never lost power. We were really lucky, I think we were in that sweet spot where the storm turned and we were really spared. Less than 2 inches of rain, just a few hours of really strong wind.

Anyway, life sometimes is rough but we all must make the best of it. I'm grateful I have this board and future Disney trips to inject a little levity and fun into life.

Take care everyone!
__________________
DH (Mike) & Me (Sharon) DS Shawn (17,ASD) DD Lauren (12) Daisy

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #1967
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehighvalley pa.
Posts: 9,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
We are terribly sorry to hear of your situation. Sandy's devastation has affected millions. May things improve for you as quickly as possible.

All the very best to you and your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
dvczerfs!

Don't worry about us at the coast. You lost your roof! Hope you get everything sorted out soon, and can get back to normal as quick as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Good to hear from you but sorry to know that you are going through stuff because of Sandy. I'm glad you are all safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Sorry to hear about your roof! I'm in Alburtis if you need anything! Hang in there!
thanks everyone!
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 58 trips, 429 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

dvczerfs is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #1968
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehighvalley pa.
Posts: 9,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Thanks for checking in. So sorry to hear that Briana lost the part, but she'll get one eventually!

Rough few weeks here, too. Started 3 weeks ago, my mother passed away without any warning or being sick, had to take care of all of the arrangements since my father was too distraught to really think straight. It was difficult but we made it through and I think we gave her a great send-off in the style she would have appreciated.

Also sold our house, so had to go through inspections on the one we want to buy and ours. The sellers on the "new" house were real jerks and didn't care that my mother had passed and wouldn't give us any extra time on inspections, etc, so we had to do all the "stuff" associated with buying a house at the same time. Believe me, I am deciding on a speech at closing to them, I know I will NOT shake their hand at the end of the transaction.

We lost flashing on the roof and lots of shingles, but never lost power. We were really lucky, I think we were in that sweet spot where the storm turned and we were really spared. Less than 2 inches of rain, just a few hours of really strong wind.

Anyway, life sometimes is rough but we all must make the best of it. I'm grateful I have this board and future Disney trips to inject a little levity and fun into life.

Take care everyone!
sorry to hear about your mother sharon.
just ignor some people and there asinine actions. its a shame some people have no heart.
after everything settles down, we have to get together.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 58 trips, 429 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #1969
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehighvalley pa.
Posts: 9,185

got some real good news today. came home from work today at around 2:30
and found this!!!!!



I HAVE A ROOF AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its going to get its first test wednesday night. the next storm is going to bring 30-40mph winds.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 58 trips, 429 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #1970
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,009

Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I don't blame you for your frustration with the sellers.

Wow, that roof certainly was taken care of quickly!
pwdebbie is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #1971
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I don't blame you for your frustration with the sellers.

Wow, that roof certainly was taken care of quickly!
Amen to both statements.

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1972
JustTJ
Luv Dising
 
JustTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 584

My sympathies to those affected by that storm in New Jersey and NY. WOW, unblievable!
Sharon, sorry to hear about your mom. That must have been and to some extent must still be tough. I can't imagine being without my mom, but do know it will happen some day. My only wish is that she can go like your mom did, with no illness, pain or suffering.
To those who lost their homes, or like pp's mentioned a roof, and food in the fridge and freezer, will home insurance cover for these losses caused by a storm like Sandy? It makes me question my own home insurance, and need to look into exactly what it will cover.


I originally came on to post a question about travelling, so I'll get to that now. We are driving down to Cape Canaveral in January. We've driven that trip before but only in the fall. Should we be concerned with anything when driving in January. I'm worried about ice, snow, storms, and we literally have only 2 days to drive down (it's a 24 hour drive) because my husband could not get the week before our cruise off for travelling down (funny that they gave him the week of the cruise off). So he'll use some sick days for our getting there days but can only take two without a Dr.'s note. From the Canada/NY border to what point would the snow and cold likely end?
__________________
2006 Disney Wonder "WISH" Cruise
2009 Disney Wonder "End of Chemo" Celebration Cruise
2010 Disney Magic "Halloween" Cruise
2011 Disney Dream "Mommy & Tim" B2B Cruise
2013 Disney Fantasy "Escape From Winter" Cruise

2014 RCI Oasis "Birthday Cruise"
2014 Disney Fantasy "Halloween" Cruise
JustTJ is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #1973
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran
 
LadyBeBop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky, right outside Cincinnati
Posts: 1,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTJ View Post
I originally came on to post a question about travelling, so I'll get to that now. We are driving down to Cape Canaveral in January. We've driven that trip before but only in the fall. Should we be concerned with anything when driving in January. I'm worried about ice, snow, storms, and we literally have only 2 days to drive down (it's a 24 hour drive) because my husband could not get the week before our cruise off for travelling down (funny that they gave him the week of the cruise off). So he'll use some sick days for our getting there days but can only take two without a Dr.'s note. From the Canada/NY border to what point would the snow and cold likely end?
Ouch. With that little margin of error, and you two taking a January cruise, I'd definitely look into travel insurance. You probably won't need it, but still...

Someone who knows the I-95 route better than me will probably chime in, but I don't think you'll be totally safe until you hit the Florida border. But I don't think you'll get much of anything snowy or icy once you hit North Carolina.

Good luck.
__________________
Next trip: When my next grandchild turns five. Probably around the turn of the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #1974
JustTJ
Luv Dising
 
JustTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Ouch. With that little margin of error, and you two taking a January cruise, I'd definitely look into travel insurance. You probably won't need it, but still...

Someone who knows the I-95 route better than me will probably chime in, but I don't think you'll be totally safe until you hit the Florida border. But I don't think you'll get much of anything snowy or icy once you hit North Carolina.

Good luck.
Hmm Perhaps we might think of buying a plane ticket for my hubby, and I drive with my kids and my mom and give ourselves 4 days to get there. Options still open at least
__________________
2006 Disney Wonder "WISH" Cruise
2009 Disney Wonder "End of Chemo" Celebration Cruise
2010 Disney Magic "Halloween" Cruise
2011 Disney Dream "Mommy & Tim" B2B Cruise
2013 Disney Fantasy "Escape From Winter" Cruise

2014 RCI Oasis "Birthday Cruise"
2014 Disney Fantasy "Halloween" Cruise
JustTJ is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1975
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.
 
sharadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 6,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
sorry to hear about your mother sharon.
just ignor some people and there asinine actions. its a shame some people have no heart.
after everything settles down, we have to get together.
Thanks - housewarming! Absolutely we must get together.
__________________
DH (Mike) & Me (Sharon) DS Shawn (17,ASD) DD Lauren (12) Daisy

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #1976
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.
 
sharadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 6,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I don't blame you for your frustration with the sellers.

Wow, that roof certainly was taken care of quickly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Amen to both statements.

All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTJ View Post
My sympathies to those affected by that storm in New Jersey and NY. WOW, unblievable!
Sharon, sorry to hear about your mom. That must have been and to some extent must still be tough. I can't imagine being without my mom, but do know it will happen some day. My only wish is that she can go like your mom did, with no illness, pain or suffering.

I originally came on to post a question about travelling, so I'll get to that now. We are driving down to Cape Canaveral in January. We've driven that trip before but only in the fall. Should we be concerned with anything when driving in January. I'm worried about ice, snow, storms, and we literally have only 2 days to drive down (it's a 24 hour drive) because my husband could not get the week before our cruise off for travelling down (funny that they gave him the week of the cruise off). So he'll use some sick days for our getting there days but can only take two without a Dr.'s note. From the Canada/NY border to what point would the snow and cold likely end?
Thanks to all of you. For anyone who loses a parent, it's always tough. Yes, it's going to happen someday, but it's never easy.

JustJT - we have driven in January and February a few times in the past 4 years. Yes, we've hit really bad weather. In 2010, the blizzard really messed up our drive home because the snow hit all the way into North Carolina. Those southern states have NO IDEA how to deal with snow on the highway so it was horrible.

I think in regular years, you should be good once you're into Virginia, but not sure how far. Washington definitely gets snow, so probably halfway or even further before NO snow threat on the ground.
__________________
DH (Mike) & Me (Sharon) DS Shawn (17,ASD) DD Lauren (12) Daisy

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #1977
JustTJ
Luv Dising
 
JustTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 584

Well, to take away the worry about having only a day and 1/2 to drive there, I spoke with my husband and we made final plans. I purchased him a plane ticket today for the day before the cruise. That way he only has to take one day off work instead of two, and then he's on legitamate Holidays I will drive with my mother and her fiance and my boys, giving ourselves 3 or 4 full days to drive down. That way, if we are delayed due to weather or road conditions, we have the time for those delays After the cruise, my mom and her fiance will fly home Everyone is happy with this plan. Now I can get excited about the trip
Thank you for the opinions and sharing your experience. It helped me make the final decision
__________________
2006 Disney Wonder "WISH" Cruise
2009 Disney Wonder "End of Chemo" Celebration Cruise
2010 Disney Magic "Halloween" Cruise
2011 Disney Dream "Mommy & Tim" B2B Cruise
2013 Disney Fantasy "Escape From Winter" Cruise

2014 RCI Oasis "Birthday Cruise"
2014 Disney Fantasy "Halloween" Cruise
JustTJ is offline  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #1978
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,134

Our last ten drives to WDW have been "straight-through" efforts (always beginning in the dark). Our past goal: a Lake Buena Vista non-Disney hotel for the night (which allows to drive to our WDW hotel in ten minutes the next morning).

However, we are planning our next behind-the-wheel journey by starting in the morning, i.e., sometime between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. And a day early. Our goal: Pooler, GA. The next day's drive brings us to our familiar non-Disney Lake Buena Vista hotel around lunch time/early afternoon. We're preparing to visit DTD and then the next morning take our ten-minute drive to our WDW hotel.

This plan actually devotes two nights to hotels on the drive but may prevent us from feeling like drive-all-night zombies. Who knows? We'll give it a try and take it from there for upcoming drive #28.

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #1979
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran
 
thumbalyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801

We normally drive straight thru but this year we are stopping at south of the border. I am worried that we might hit bad weather, we normally fly when we go in December but since we are going the week of xmas and new years flight prices were insane.
__________________
me DD(18)
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline  
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #1980
nono
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coastal NJ
Posts: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Our last ten drives to WDW have been "straight-through" efforts (always beginning in the dark). Our past goal: a Lake Buena Vista non-Disney hotel for the night (which allows to drive to our WDW hotel in ten minutes the next morning).

However, we are planning our next behind-the-wheel journey by starting in the morning, i.e., sometime between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. And a day early. Our goal: Pooler, GA. The next day's drive brings us to our familiar non-Disney Lake Buena Vista hotel around lunch time/early afternoon. We're preparing to visit DTD and then the next morning take our ten-minute drive to our WDW hotel.

This plan actually devotes two nights to hotels on the drive but may prevent us from feeling like drive-all-night zombies. Who knows? We'll give it a try and take it from there for upcoming drive #28.

All the best.
BC, next thing you know, you'll be trying the ferry! Your times are starting to line up!
nono is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: