Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #1516
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehas3 View Post
they are flying so we want to get there then as well. DH is suggesting we leave after he has worked all day at 9 pm Thursday night...
And go straight through? Or stop late and sleep for a few hours after you've been on the road awhile? I wouldn't suggest straight through if he's your primary driver. We sometimes do the overnight straight through but that's with me being able to nap and oversleep for a few days prior. I'm the primary overnight driver.

Best of luck deciding.

ETA: I see you are from LI. Yeah, I would go with leaving Thurs at 9 pm, and stopping at a hotel for a few hrs rest...I used Mineola as a starting point, and estimate you could make it to Richmond with a stop by about 1:30 a.m. and would be past all your morning commute hassles. Grab some sleep, hit the road with fresh eyes and a rested head, and be in WDW 13-14 hrs. after you start out (which assumes relatively good travel conditions and pit stops every 3 hrs.)

Again, good luck deciding what's right for your family and situation!

Last edited by nono; 08-09-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added more...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #1517
BC1836
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=dvczerfs;45761008]have a great trip bc!!!! where are you staying this trip? QUOTE]

The Grand Floridian.

[Construction at the the GF's Vacation Club building has reached its fourth floor.]

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #1518
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=BC1836;45771498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
have a great trip bc!!!! where are you staying this trip? QUOTE]

The Grand Floridian.

[Construction at the the GF's Vacation Club building has reached its fourth floor.]

All the best.
when i was there in may, they just started the 1st floor. dragging there feet!!! have a nice trip!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #1519
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=BC1836;45771498]
Quote:
have a great trip bc!!!! where are you staying this trip? QUOTE]

The Grand Floridian.

All the best.
hey bc, have you heard from sarah and john lately? i lost the contacts in my phone. if you hear from one of them, could you have them text me? thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #1520
BC1836
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=dvczerfs;45776108]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post

hey bc, have you heard from sarah and john lately? i lost the contacts in my phone. if you hear from one of them, could you have them text me? thanks!

Howdy!

Greetings from the Grand Floridian.

I forwarded your message to them.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #1521
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=BC1836;45782235]
Quote:

Howdy!

Greetings from the Grand Floridian.

I forwarded your message to them.

All the best.
thanks bc, she just sent me a text. we are meeting up next month.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1522
kteesmumma
DIS Veteran

Ok all you Driving Vets...help a newbie out. I am considering driving for our trip next April from just outside of Worcester, Ma. I expect to do a one night stay somewhere, but want to be able to get to Disney by mid day on our arrival day. Most likely leaving on a Friday. I know BAD IDEA LOL...but what would be the best time of day to leave and what should we expect for a stopping time and place to be able to make it to Disney mid day on Saturday
May 2010 - Offsite, May 2011 POP/POFQ, April 2012 POP/CBR, July 2012 AofA, Dec 2012 POP, April 2013 AofA/WL

Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #1523
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kteesmumma View Post
Ok all you Driving Vets...help a newbie out. I am considering driving for our trip next April from just outside of Worcester, Ma. I expect to do a one night stay somewhere, but want to be able to get to Disney by mid day on our arrival day. Most likely leaving on a Friday. I know BAD IDEA LOL...but what would be the best time of day to leave and what should we expect for a stopping time and place to be able to make it to Disney mid day on Saturday
Hi. I would suggest hitting DC no later than 10 am, best to be closer to 9. Not sure how much time you would need to get to that point, so that part is up to you.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #1524
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have you considered the inland route? Because unless you leave at about 3 a.m. on Friday morning, you'll hit northern NJ traffic on the Garden State Parkway and Turnpike (or NY traffic if you choose to go across the George Washington Bridge). And then, if you are making good time, you might catch the tail end of MD commute traffic on I-95...it's all do-able, and I'd do it, but I used to spend my life driving among all the cities between Boston and DC. But if I were coming from your area, I'd also definitely consider the inland route.

Good luck deciding. At least in April, you don't have to factor in shore/beach traffic!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #1525
pattibehan
Mouseketeer

Hi, driving vet here...we have driven from Albany NY 10 times, and leave on Tuesday at 7 am for our 11th drive to WDW...I can't wait..both DH and I love the drive, it gives us time to talk..we never see to have enough time to just chat in our real life! Is anyone interested in live updates..we usually stop in South Carolina for the night and arrive in Disney around two...soooo excited !!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Me(57)DH(56)DS(18)DS(17)

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010(two trips), 2011 (three trips), 2012(three trips) 2013(three trips) 2014 (one down, one to go !)
Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #1526
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattibehan View Post
Hi, driving vet here...we have driven from Albany NY 10 times, and leave on Tuesday at 7 am for our 11th drive to WDW...I can't wait..both DH and I love the drive, it gives us time to talk..we never see to have enough time to just chat in our real life! Is anyone interested in live updates..we usually stop in South Carolina for the night and arrive in Disney around two...soooo excited !!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
have a good trip.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #1527
cnjmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We're very close to you and just did this trip in June (well, essentially this trip. We were headed to the Villages, which is about an hour outside of Orlando). I would avoid DC traffic at all costs. We left at 6:30 AM and were in Baltimore around 2:30 (hit traffic in CT and again going through NYC), so we opted to go Route 301 which eventually brings you to Route 95 around Richmond. It adds on some time, but given the likelihood of hitting DC traffic during rush hour, I figured we probably did OK.

We wound up driving about 675 miles that first day, and we stayed in Wilson, NC. We arrived around 9:15. If you don't have small kids and don't take as long of a dinner break as we did or as many bathroom breaks, you would get there more quickly and could probably travel further. Wilson, NC is more than 1/2 way to the Villages from our neck of the woods, and we made it to the Villages by 6 PM the next day (and we left NC around 8:30).

My advice--

1. Leave by 5 AM
2. Avoid Route 95 in CT--travel on the Merritt Parkway
3. Not sure what to tell you about NY. We did the GW Bridge, and it was about what I expected for traffic
4. Avoid DC traffic
5. Take a shorter dinner break. Ours was about 2 hours, and we also had several longish bathroom breaks that were 20-30 minutes each.
6. Try to get to Wilson, NC or further south

Good luck. This was our first trip and it went pretty well. My kids are 8.5, 6 and 4.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #1528
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Hi. I would suggest hitting DC no later than 10 am, best to be closer to 9. Not sure how much time you would need to get to that point, so that part is up to you.
hi sharon!!! if i dont get a chance to log on tomorrow, you mike and the kids have a great trip on tuesday!!!! feel free to text me on your travels.
briana gets her wisdom teeth taken out on friday so tammy and i will be playing nurse all next weekend. briana gets pain killers and we have to live with her.
HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #1529
kteesmumma
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone for the great tips and advice. Is there a website that helps plan out road trips that you can suggest?
May 2010 - Offsite, May 2011 POP/POFQ, April 2012 POP/CBR, July 2012 AofA, Dec 2012 POP, April 2013 AofA/WL

Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #1530
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Hey all-

So here our plan but we need some help with a route, hotel, and other things

We are traveling from the Lehigh Valley area of Pa. We will be leaving Sunday Nov 25th @ about 6-7 am (first question is this to later of a start?)

We would like a route that takes over the Chesapake Bay Bridge (second question is this even a good ideal?)

We want a route that will take us to Atlanta Georgia (third question how long will it take us to get here? Any inexpensive hotel that are nice? And finally how far is WDW from here?)

TIA for the help

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: