Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #136
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
we are expecting 4-6 inches of snow on sat. i dont think the shore areas are expecting anything.
It's horrible. We NEVER get to go out just DH and I. We have a big night planned in AC on Saturday night. I can't believe I have to deal with SNOW!!!!

Could be a Nor'easter!

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #137
hushupu
Mouseketeer

we had snow on the ground here in central Mass this morning. IKt's pretty much gone but we are expecting more this weekend. Is my calendar broken?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #138
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Greetings from the Boardwalk!

The only snow we want to see is the "snow" at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #139
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
It's horrible. We NEVER get to go out just DH and I. We have a big night planned in AC on Saturday night. I can't believe I have to deal with SNOW!!!!

Could be a Nor'easter!
i hope you were able to make your night out in ac!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #140
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Ended up with 13" of snow here. I am so ready for Florida, only 170 days to go.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #141
Chuckles21
Earning My Ears

Got back last night from our first trip ever to WDW and obviously our first drive there as well. We were definitely nuts on how we did it, but our schedule dictated things.

Left Sunday 10/23 afternoon on at 5:00pm from Fond du Lac, WI (1 hour north of Milwaukee) would have left earlier if not for my wife having to work most of the day. The only saving grace for leaving at this time was we hit all major cities pretty much at night so no real traffic issues. Drove straight through to about Chattanooga before having to take a quick 1 hour nap in a parking lot to let my eyes rest. Then back on the road and to our only delay of the trip outside of Atlanta before the bypass splits off. Once past this we set the cruise again and never had anymore delays. Arrived at WDW around 3:00pm on Monday the 24th.

One way mileage was 1334 miles and we made it in 21 hours (taking out the time change). Not to bad for having 1 hours bad rest in 36 total hours. We did stop for the night on the way home as we were not as rushed and this made the trip a lot easier.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #142
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles21 View Post
Got back last night from our first trip ever to WDW and obviously our first drive there as well. We were definitely nuts on how we did it, but our schedule dictated things.

Left Sunday 10/23 afternoon on at 5:00pm from Fond du Lac, WI (1 hour north of Milwaukee) would have left earlier if not for my wife having to work most of the day. The only saving grace for leaving at this time was we hit all major cities pretty much at night so no real traffic issues. Drove straight through to about Chattanooga before having to take a quick 1 hour nap in a parking lot to let my eyes rest. Then back on the road and to our only delay of the trip outside of Atlanta before the bypass splits off. Once past this we set the cruise again and never had anymore delays. Arrived at WDW around 3:00pm on Monday the 24th.

One way mileage was 1334 miles and we made it in 21 hours (taking out the time change). Not to bad for having 1 hours bad rest in 36 total hours. We did stop for the night on the way home as we were not as rushed and this made the trip a lot easier.
glad you had a nice drive.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #143
sticker231
DIS Veteran

We got back last night. It was 72 leaving Orlando, with a high of 75 in Jacksonville. Cracked below the 40's right at King's Dominion and kept creeping down. We hit the snow in Maryland. Final temperature on the car thermometer was 31. Took about 15.5 hours with the weather.

Another wonderful trip in the books. Thinking May for the next adventure. Or maybe an adults only trip in February.

Safe travels to all my fellow 2k plus trippers!

OUR TRIPS TO WDW
OCTOBER 2005, APRIL 2006, OCTOBER 2006, MARCH 2007, JUNE 2007, OCTOBER 2007,
APRIL 2008, OCTOBER 2008, OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, OCTOBER 2010, OCTOBER 2011, MAY 2012,OCTOBER 2012, OCTOBER 2013
Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #144
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker231 View Post
We got back last night. It was 72 leaving Orlando, with a high of 75 in Jacksonville. Cracked below the 40's right at King's Dominion and kept creeping down. We hit the snow in Maryland. Final temperature on the car thermometer was 31. Took about 15.5 hours with the weather.

Another wonderful trip in the books. Thinking May for the next adventure. Or maybe an adults only trip in February.

Safe travels to all my fellow 2k plus trippers!
welcome home.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #145
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Greetings from Emporia, VA (which is not to be confused with Lake Buena Vista, FL). Twelve hours from the Boardwalk to here, our stopover for the night. No traffic problems at all during our 735-mile drive.

Our home temp is reportedly 28-degrees right now; a few days ago it was 82-degrees at EPCOT!

Full report upon on our safe arrival home tomorrow afternoon.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #146
WI_DisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles21 View Post

Thanks for this update! I live in the Sheboygan area, and we are planning our first drive next September. (We just booked our room last week, so we are officially going!) I've been planning on about 20 hours on the road, so seeing your 21 hours gives me a good indication that I'm not far off, considering your 1 hour "power nap". We will, however, be stopping for the night somewhere south of Atlanta because i don't think I could handle 20 hours on the road with just a quick nap. Could you tell me what route you took? Right now I am leaning heavily towards taking I-57 all the way down through Illinois and hooking up with I-24 just north of the Illinois/Kentucky Border. But all of the online mapping tools, as well as my GPS, tell me to take I-65 through Indiana and Kentucky, which then turns into I-24 around Nashville. Once I hit Nashville, both routes end the same, with me getting on I-75 at the Tennessee/Georgia border. The I-65 route is what other people I've spoken to have taken as well, so I'm just curious to hear what route you took. Thanks again!

I saw a lion he was standing alone
With a tadpole in a jar
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #147
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
i hope you were able to make your night out in ac!!!
Yes we did! By the time we got to Conshohocken, the snow was pretty much gone. Best part is the parents took my kids overnight, so we could enjoy ourselves, take our time and be alone for the first time in years!!

Had a great time - saw Duran Duran who were awesome!!!

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #148
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Yes we did! By the time we got to Conshohocken, the snow was pretty much gone. Best part is the parents took my kids overnight, so we could enjoy ourselves, take our time and be alone for the first time in years!!

Had a great time - saw Duran Duran who were awesome!!!
thats great!!! i had a feeling you may have been ok with the snow. we got 8 inches. alot of trees and power lines are down. we got lucky, our power goes out in the rain and for some reason, our stayed on this time. tammy and i seen 38 special in epcot a few weeks ago. glad you guys had a good time!!!! i forgot to tell you, tammy got the job!!! now its just to train someone for her job and for her to learn her new job. she has to go into nyc a few times in the next two weeks. its all in h.r. , working for the same person so im sure she will be fine.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #149
BC1836
DIS Veteran

We're back home! Drive #24 complete.

What's with this cold weather? And the poor folks in northern NJ have no power (and that includes fwd facing tentacles). Damn.

Here's our travel record from WDW to home (our departure details from home to WDW are found on reply #110):

Sunday

8:45 a.m. left Boardwalk
11:57 a.m. GA
1:35 p.m. SC
4:38 p.m. NC
7:16 p.m. VA
8:48 p.m. checked in at Peterburg, VA hotel

Monday

9:16 a.m. left Petersburg, VA hotel
11:09 a.m. stop and go near mm #173 in northern VA. Only lasted a mile.
11:18 a.m. MD
1:03 p.m. DE
1:19 p.m. NJ
2:50 p.m. home (1,072 miles from WDW to home) [73 miles driven in WDW]
{total miles driven: 2,208}

gas varied from $3.25 to $3.43

Tolls in MD increase by a $1 tomorrow (Baltimore tunnel: $2 to $3) (I-95 toll: $5 to $6). We just made it! [They'll get us in December upon our return.]

All the best.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #150
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

welcome home bc. you thought i was joking when i said we will shovel the driveway.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: