Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #31
korie99
Earning My Ears

We are surprising our kids with our upcoming January trip and I cannot wait! I am pretty set on waiting to tell them until we are actually at the airport. We will probably tell them Daddy is going away on a business trip and then as we're unloading the luggage tell them we changed our mind and we'd rather go to Disney. The trip we took in 2010 was not a surprise, but ever since we've been back the kids give us their change from lunch and/or milk money or anything they come across on the ground and tell us to put it in our piggy banks "for our next Disney trip". Just thinking about how excited they will be gives me goosebumps!
1/2012, Off Property - Sheraton Vistana Resort
7/2014, Bay Lake Towers
Me DH & our twin 9 yr olds

Follow our camping blog & our travels throughout New England!! www.podcastcamping.blogspot.com
korie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

I didn't think I would get all these responses...I love them, DISers!

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

Last edited by MouseEarsForAll; 10-06-2011 at 05:33 PM.
MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #33
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran

We are going this December and I am dying to tell the girls!

We have a Disney movie night most friday nights. On Dec. 14th when I pick the girls up from school I am going to tell them that Grammy wants to come to our party but she can't make it on Friday so we are doing it that night. The theme will be Disney Parks and while we are having our food my sis will ring the doorbell and leave a box on the porch addressed the the Keller girls.

In the box will be helium balloons with a note tied to the bottom telling them that they are so special to us that they deserve a prize. I may list a few prizes and then say, but we decided your prize is..... you don't have to go to school tomorrow. I am guessing they will be like Oh, ...... ok.....

Then they next page of the note will say, you don't have to go to school tomorrow because you're going to DISNEY!!!

I can't wait. Thank goodness that my 2 year old doesn't talk clearly enough for anyone to understand becasue I tell her all the plans all the time. I need SOMEONE to tell all this to!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
angryduck71
Mouseketeer

trip been in the plans for more than 5 years....

My DH said when I got pregnant, we'd plan a BIG trip to WDW. I decided since my baby would turn 5 in late October, that's when we'd do it (we went on a couple of short trips last year). My DS5 is now REALLY into Phineas & Ferb, Jake & the Neverland Pirates (esp. Hook!), Monsters, Inc., Cars, Toy Story (Lotso he loves for some reason!), Spiderman, Harry Potter, Sponge Bob, and Scooby Doo. He keeps BEGGING to go (he doesn't remember much from the last trips). On his birthday, we're going to do a treasure hunt with some presents -- one thing he asked for, others with the Disney/Universal theme. We're leaving 6 days after his birthday (his party will be Spiderman themed -- originally we were going ON his birthday, but long story why we had to wait). I have lots of magical surprises in store during the 12-day trip (we're staying at Shades of Green and got a GREAT deal since I booked early: $65.50/night! - well, one night at the end we're staying at HRH at Universal): Hoop-de-doo, Cinderella's Royal Table (he loves the castle!), free character breakfast at Shades, Mickey's Backyard Halloween party BBQ, MNSSHP, Pirates and Pals cruise, character breakfasts at Tusker House, Crystal Palace, and Hollywood and Vine (please let Jake be there then!). It's amazing what you can do when you save for five years, make plans early for deals, and save up points from the Disney Visa (plus get to stay at Shades of Green!).

This morning, I wrote out a draft of the treasure hunt clue/poem. I'll share. We'll start out when he wakes up with a single Spiderman card on the kitchen table that says:

"For your big-boy 5th birthday, a treasure hunt for you!
Let's get started with your first clue:
Go out back where the sky is bright blue."
(outside will be a rocket he's been asking for that uses recycled paper to light up and stuff)

"This rocket is one way to travel...
Where are we going? It's a mystery to unravel!
To figure out where we'll zoom,
Check out the clue in the dining room!"
(in the dining room, there will be a LEGO Hogwarts castle)

"Hopefully, Hogwarts castle won't become Voldemort's lair...
Find the next clue if you dare!
Check out what's on the computer chair!"
(that will have a few spidey action figures)

"Mommy & Daddy will fight against villains and with heroes for you because you are all we adore!
So peek outside....outside the front door!"
(I have a box of Disney gift cards, each with a favorite character)

"This is it! Your last clue...Disney cash cards, here's a few...
a few for you...
Wish we could give you all the cash cards in the WORLD,
because in 6 days we're going to Universal and Disney World!"

angryduck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #35
capegirl
DIS Veteran

This will be our first 'out of the blue' Disney trip. I am a planner by nature, so this should be interesting. I think I pretty much fried my brain last night trying to make all the last minute reservations.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #36
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

We are surprising our boys with a trip to Disney in just 4 weeks!!! We waited as long as possible to feed them the fake story and had to tell them last week. (They are missing a couple sports activities so we wanted them to know we are going to be away.) We told them that dad has to work in NC that week but since it's our 15th wedding anniversary & the kids only have half a week of school, we are going to join him in NC for the week. DH keeps saying things about how boring it's going to be sitting in the hotel while he's at work!

We are still on the fence about whether to have a big reveal or see how long it takes them to figure out that we aren't really going to NC! The big reveal would involve a scavenger hunt with a suitcase or box at the end. Inside would be a few balloons & a goody bag for each of the boys. I've made up a little guide booklet for each of them, with our itinerary, ADRs, etc. The cover says, "Surprise! We're going back to Disney World!" This is the direction I'm leaning...

I can't wait!!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #37
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Our surprise trip was two years ago. It was so great! I wish I could do a surprise trip every year.... but then I guess it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Our kids are used to an annual Disney trip in February. In 2010 we told them that we couldn't go and that we'd be spending February vacation at the grandparents house instead. Grandma & Pops live about three hours away, so we packed the kids in the car and started driving. After about four hours we stopped at a rest area and gave them some "late" Christmas presents. Two of the gifts were t-****s that said Disney 2010. My son, then 10, was the first to put the pieces together. He screamed and yelled "we're going to Disney!" My daughter, then 7, didn't believe it for quite awhile. They were both thrilled.
My husband and I had so much fun planning it all and keeping the secret.

Highly recommend a surprise trip to anyone considering it!!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #38
sarahbug79
Sarahbug79

Ours is at next month. I still haven't figured out how to tell the kids. We have an evening flight. The kids will get home from school at 2:30 I get home at 3 and we will have to leave right away to catch our 5:30 flight. I am going to be so excited all day at work just thinking about it. My mom will probably drive us so we might just say we need go bring grandma to the airport and tell them there. Not sure if it's outside by the curb however it will be winter here so maybe I will try to get them in the airport first. Maybe we can get them through security just telling them we are eating dinner there. I don't think they would realize you have to have a ticket to go through security. Any ideas ages 9,6,4.
sarahbug79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #39
MouseEarsForAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
I can't wait. Thank goodness that my 2 year old doesn't talk clearly enough for anyone to understand becasue I tell her all the plans all the time. I need SOMEONE to tell all this to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryduck71 View Post
My DH said when I got pregnant, we'd plan a BIG trip to WDW. I decided since my baby would turn 5 in late October, that's when we'd do it (we went on a couple of short trips last year). My DS5 is now REALLY into Phineas & Ferb, Jake & the Neverland Pirates (esp. Hook!), Monsters, Inc., Cars, Toy Story (Lotso he loves for some reason!), Spiderman, Harry Potter, Sponge Bob, and Scooby Doo. He keeps BEGGING to go (he doesn't remember much from the last trips). On his birthday, we're going to do a treasure hunt with some presents -- one thing he asked for, others with the Disney/Universal theme. We're leaving 6 days after his birthday (his party will be Spiderman themed -- originally we were going ON his birthday, but long story why we had to wait). I have lots of magical surprises in store during the 12-day trip (we're staying at Shades of Green and got a GREAT deal since I booked early: $65.50/night! - well, one night at the end we're staying at HRH at Universal): Hoop-de-doo, Cinderella's Royal Table (he loves the castle!), free character breakfast at Shades, Mickey's Backyard Halloween party BBQ, MNSSHP, Pirates and Pals cruise, character breakfasts at Tusker House, Crystal Palace, and Hollywood and Vine (please let Jake be there then!). It's amazing what you can do when you save for five years, make plans early for deals, and save up points from the Disney Visa (plus get to stay at Shades of Green!).

This morning, I wrote out a draft of the treasure hunt clue/poem. I'll share. We'll start out when he wakes up with a single Spiderman card on the kitchen table that says:

"For your big-boy 5th birthday, a treasure hunt for you!
Let's get started with your first clue:
Go out back where the sky is bright blue."
(outside will be a rocket he's been asking for that uses recycled paper to light up and stuff)

"This rocket is one way to travel...
Where are we going? It's a mystery to unravel!
To figure out where we'll zoom,
Check out the clue in the dining room!"
(in the dining room, there will be a LEGO Hogwarts castle)

"Hopefully, Hogwarts castle won't become Voldemort's lair...
Find the next clue if you dare!
Check out what's on the computer chair!"
(that will have a few spidey action figures)

"Mommy & Daddy will fight against villains and with heroes for you because you are all we adore!
So peek outside....outside the front door!"
(I have a box of Disney gift cards, each with a favorite character)

"This is it! Your last clue...Disney cash cards, here's a few...
a few for you...
Wish we could give you all the cash cards in the WORLD,
because in 6 days we're going to Universal and Disney World!"

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #40
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
hahahaha I almost spat my mouthfull of wine out when I read that! I would do the same thing. I didn't do a surprise because I knew I couldn't pull it off. Maybe the 2nd trip.
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #41
DisneySarah80
DIS Veteran

Here are some of the items we are putting in our girls surprise boxes!!!! We are leaving on 10/23!

DisneySarah80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #43
MouseEarsForAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySarah80 View Post
Here are some of the items we are putting in our girls surprise boxes!!!! We are leaving on 10/23!

Those are really cute!

Have a great vacation!

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #44
FirstTripEver
Mouseketeer

Smile The BIG REVEAL!!

Well, today was the DAY for the BIG REVEAL with my daughters!

And it was amazing!

After weeks of planning a Christmas trip, we decided to finally spill the beans today.

How did we do it??! We let the girls find out with a secret message that they discovered while they were carving their pumpkins!

It worked perfectly. And yes, I posted the whole thing on youtube so feel free to share their excitement! Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tWHm...=youtube_gdata
FirstTripEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #45
blu
Mouseketeer

We surprised DD 6 and DS 2, almost 3 in 2009. We picked them up from school and told them we were going to visit their aunt. The hotel that night was horrible and DD confided to me that it was the worst night of her life. Although a bit dramatic it was still crushing since I was planning this surprise for over 6 months. It got much better the next day when we visited with her aunt and gave her a button that said "I'm going to Disneyworld" DS's reaction is priceless. His button said "me to" but that isnt what he thought. That alone is worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-4A3QboraA

we are going again soon and will again pull them from school but this time it will be middle of the week. We still dont know how or when we are going to tell them because a) we have an 8 hour drive and dont want to hear it the whole way and b) we are camping and dont want to wait until the last minute and have them all geared when we get there to set up at 8pm and immediately tell them it is bed time.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, disneyland, surprise, trip, wdw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: