Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #91
DisneyShamrock
I would do anything for love, run right into hell and back. I would do anything for love, never lie to you and that's a fact....

Yay! Another costumer! Can I demand pictures?

Good news on calling DFTW! And, I'm glad to know they dropped back to 16-months so I don't fall behind . . .

Have fun at the bridal show!
Updated 9/12/2013: Our Wishes Wedding~11/7/2013~WP/WHR~Updated 9/19: Tuxes & BM dresses

My Disney Vacations: 1994 - 1996 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 (Twice) - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005
2009 - 2010 - Dec 2012 (1st MVMCP) - May 2013 (Planning Session) - Nov 2013 (Wedding)

Future Trips: ? Disneyland May 2014 ?
DisneyShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #92
virtuous girl
Faith, trust, & pixie dust

Yay on the first call! things are finally feeling more real I bet.. Have fun at the show!
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #93
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Wow, what an amazing program you just completed! Costume design sounds like so much fun but also a ton of work. What an amazing opportunity to design a replica gown right for the Titanic anniversary. Do you have any pictures of your gown that you designed that would be willing to share? I 'd love to see it!

Can't wait to see pics from the bridal show!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #94
tinydancr06
Mouseketeer

Wow! Costume design is so cool! What an awesome talent to have!

Referring to your question about the consultant, I was a little confused like you are but during our site visit I asked ours just about every question I could think of and she was able to answer all of them. We have Diane and, so far, she seems to be just as knowledgeable as the planners. This could be different depending on who you have but I think the very worst that would happen is that you may ask a question and they'll just tell you to keep that question for when you are assigned a planner. Seriously, though, we are still far out (about to hit 18 months!) and Diane gave us even more info than we expected at our site visit. I would definitely keep a list of your questions as they come to mind and bring them up during your site visit. I even asked some I already knew the answers to just to be sure. Hope this helps! Do you know who your consultant is yet?

Check Out My Planning Journal!!!

tinydancr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #95
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

The dress!

So wouldn't you know it, as soon as I start getting back into my planning journal and all excited for making new posts my computer goes and dies and I'm left completely without a way of making updates. My new laptop arrived yesterday, so the first thing I knew I had to do was update my PJ, because a few very big things have happened!

First, I know it was a looooong time ago but here are a couple pics of the costumes I mentioned making:

The Titanic dress:

The nineteenth-century dresses:

And the only photo I have of my tailcoat/tuxedo, sadly:

Bridal Show (Mini Report?)

I just realized that I never posted about my first trip to a bridal show. Well, I have to say it was not what I expected. It was probably the smallest exhibition style show that Iíve ever been to, however, apparently itís not the biggest one held in the area, that one will be coming up in September, I think.
I went with my mom and two of her friends, who were invited to the wedding. We got a little tote bag filled with vendor information and a free drink ticket to use that the Bacardi rum booth. For the most part none of the booths were terribly relevant to our event, and the ones that were (for our at-home reception) I felt like I hadnít discussed at all with DF, so I didnít really know what to do.

Iím sure this is typical but I was accosted by several vendors, and each time my mom and her friends would keep walking leaving me to fend for myself. Iím a shy girl; I really go out of my way to avoid talking to people in general, but salespeople especially. Iím such pushover. Iíll admit it wasnít too hard to say ďnoĒ to the custom candy buffet person with a Disney wedding in the works, but it was still quite a challenging experience. At least I got some ďcaviarĒ candy samples out of it: little black spherical mints.

I ended up buying some mineral make-up, partly because I was a shy girl getting the hard-sell from a very pushy and flamboyant (he swore an unnecessary amount for a make-up pitch), but also partly because I was interested in trying it out. It was a better deal than I would have gotten at Sephora, is what I think to console myself.

Keisha from Say Yes to the Dress was there promoting her new show and doing casting calls, I suppose. That was pretty cool. I donít know if she was wearing 5Ē heels or something but she is very, very tall.

After we did two or three rounds of the exhibition floor we got our seats for the fashion show. There were a group of girls behind us who had unfortunately used all their drink tickets and then some (which seemed a little tacky for early afternoon on a Saturday) and they were screaming and cat-calling the models on the stage. I guess they were starting the bachelorette party a little early.

There was a decent variety of dresses in the fashion show and I took a few photos of the ones I liked best. Unfortunately no mention of the designers of the dresses, only the salons. And I ended up actually deciding to go to one of the salons from the show, because it had the most dresses that I liked.

Some gratuitous dress pictures!
These were some very fast walking models, it was either take the photo or miss it, so I apologize in advance for the quality of some of these.

2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 06-21-2012 at 11:22 AM.
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #96
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

The DRESS Experience

And now Wedding Stuff!

I think the biggest and most major event I can mention is that I ORDERED MY WEDDING DRESS! It's the Ella Marie by Maggie Sottero.

I really enjoyed my appointment, although as I posted on the DISbrides facebook page the day before I went, I was feeling a lot more nervous than excited. I've read the book Bridal Bargains and I was endlessly worried about being pressured into buying something or worse, tricked into buy something. I think I needn't have worried. My consultant was very helpful as soon as I walked in I showed her my ideas, I was looking to try on a-line dresses and ballgowns and I told her my budget, and that was the last we talked of money until I was really getting serious about one or two dresses. I had my Disney princess Dooney and Burke purse with me, which she noticed, so she pulled the Alfred Angelo Cinderella dress for me to try and told me it was her first time putting someone into one of the Disney Princess dresses. It was the second dress I tried on, and it was big I had no idea! It was lovely and I felt very sparkly and princess-y, but unfortunately totally lost in the dress. It was the last ballgown I tried on for the day but I was really thrilled that if I only tried on one it was that one!

The appointment last about two and half hours, which I had no idea it had been that long, and if I had wanted to try on more she seemed willing enough to go get more. I think I tried on about twenty dresses, and I was surprised that even though many were very similar, once I put them on there were such definite things I loved or hated about them. Anyway the dress came out under-budget (I worried for nothing about being up-sold, apparently), but I'm going to making a few little adjustments. I'm getting rid of the flower under the bust and I'm going to have little matching cap sleeves made.

My only negative experience has to do with the closure. This has nothing to do with the salon and everything to do with the designer. This dress has a corset closure. As I was getting ready to "say yes to the dress" I asked if it was possible to get buttons. I've always loved the little buttons and there aren't many situations where you find them on clothes these days. She went and checked and said it only comes with the corset closure. That was fine.

Later that night I had a moment of, shall we say, panic. That I chose it too fast, that it wasn't the right one, blah, blah, blah. So I looked it up on the website to keep reminding myself what it looked like. It was then I saw the back view image of the dress on the website had buttons. I was like, WHAT?! I wasn't inclined to think the girl had deliberately misinformed me or anything, but seeing it made me both hopeful and annoyed. We called the salon and the consultant said she would call the designer right away to confirm. She called me back and apparently they had discontinued buttons in November but they do not take new photos. She asked if they would make an exception to which the flatly replied "no". Sigh. In a way I was more disappointed to be told no a second time, but oh well.

And finally to end things on a positive note:

I am strategically holding the fake bouquet to hide the bust flowers. I love it!

Oh, one last thing! In the photo I am wearing a birdcage veil. We only briefly talked about veils because I think I'm going to try to make my own veil or maybe get something off Etsy. When I was going through and re-trying on my top faves, she gave me a veil. And I really liked how it completed the look, but I said I was thinking of doing a birdcage. So she said she had one and gave me that right before picture time. But I think I actually prefer the veil. It was just a really lovely touch. Totally surprised myself.
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 09-06-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #97
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

WOW. Your Titanic dress looks GORGEOUS. All of them are great! So impressed!

Welcome to the awful world of Bridal Shows. I hate going to them as I feel that the vendors are waayy too pushy. And some of the other brides are nasty. Eek!

Some of those dresses are gorgeous!

Your dress is ABSOLUTELY stunning! And it looks amazing on you. You made such an awesome choice! I love it! CONGRATS!

PS. the birdcage looks awesome!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #98
pixie921
DIS Veteran

Your dress looks gorgeous on you! It's so very pretty and feminine - I think you made a wonderful choice!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #99
Icecoldpenguin
May the Force Be With You

your dress looks absolutely gorgeous. Your titanic dress is pretty darn amazing. still following along sorry if I have not commented lately.

Teresa

TRIPS:
Now a Florida Resident and Visiting as much as possible!
All 5 SWW 2014 Turkey Day '13 VWL, Labor Day '13, May '13/June '13-SWW 1,3 & 4 May '13-Disneyland, Nov '12-Pop, Oct '12 Swan, Jun/Jul '12 Disney World Wedding/Honeymoon, Dec '11 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '11 Poly, June '11-ASMo, June '10 ASMu, 2000 Offsite
Icecoldpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #100
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

I am finally caught up!

First off, you are such a creative person with the costumes you design and even with the bridesmaid giftbox. So different and I love it!

Your theme is going to be awesome and I hope you are putting Catsablanca somewhere in the wedding!!

Your STD's are so cute! It's a perfect replica of you both, lol.

You engagement story was perfect, even with the missing "real" ring. DF was actually afraid that I would see it somehow when going through the metal detectors and all on our trip! Too funny!

Your dress is incredibly gorgeous. So romantic. I also have a Maggie Sottero dress. I love the style of them. Dress Sisters!

I cannot wait to see more of your planning. Keep me posted often! Subbing!

Disney Fairytale Wedding PJ 9-22-12
Only trips after High school listed:
'03-'04 CP MK PG & Conductor
11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site
10/10 Engagement trip AKL CL
03-04/11 First DVC Stay POP/BCV
08/11 Big Family Trip OKW/BLT

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV
dsnygrl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #101
JP2013
Earning My Ears

Loving your PJ!! You and your DF are SO adorable! I LOVE all your ideas, they are SO creative and unique! Looking forward to hearing the rest of your great plans!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #102
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

I just caught up! Your dress is stunning!
NoOrdinaryPrincess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #103
BritKansas
Earning My Ears

Just caught up with your PJ. I love everything so far. Your dress is gorgeous & fits your theme very well. You did an amazing job with the Titanic outfits!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #104
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
WOW. Your Titanic dress looks GORGEOUS. All of them are great! So impressed!

Welcome to the awful world of Bridal Shows. I hate going to them as I feel that the vendors are waayy too pushy. And some of the other brides are nasty. Eek!

Some of those dresses are gorgeous!

Your dress is ABSOLUTELY stunning! And it looks amazing on you. You made such an awesome choice! I love it! CONGRATS!

PS. the birdcage looks awesome!
Thank you so much! I'm so excited to have my dress! I have to completely agree with you on those bridal shows. I'm not sure how keen I am on them, but I'll probably have to go to at least one more. Maybe it will help to know what to expect, and maybe next time DF will actually come and save me from the vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie921 View Post
Your dress looks gorgeous on you! It's so very pretty and feminine - I think you made a wonderful choice!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecoldpenguin View Post
your dress looks absolutely gorgeous. Your titanic dress is pretty darn amazing. still following along sorry if I have not commented lately.

Teresa
Thank you! No need to apologize of course, I know how close it is to your own wedding!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnygrl21 View Post
I am finally caught up!

First off, you are such a creative person with the costumes you design and even with the bridesmaid giftbox. So different and I love it!

Your theme is going to be awesome and I hope you are putting Catsablanca somewhere in the wedding!!

Your STD's are so cute! It's a perfect replica of you both, lol.

You engagement story was perfect, even with the missing "real" ring. DF was actually afraid that I would see it somehow when going through the metal detectors and all on our trip! Too funny!

Your dress is incredibly gorgeous. So romantic. I also have a Maggie Sottero dress. I love the style of them. Dress Sisters!

I cannot wait to see more of your planning. Keep me posted often! Subbing!
Yay for Dress Sisters! She has so many beautiful dresses, that is for sure! Thank you so much for joining and your lovely comments! I really love doing the DIY stuff, it's the only thing keeping me sane while waiting for our day to roll around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP2013 View Post
Loving your PJ!! You and your DF are SO adorable! I LOVE all your ideas, they are SO creative and unique! Looking forward to hearing the rest of your great plans!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
I just caught up! Your dress is stunning!
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritKansas View Post
Just caught up with your PJ. I love everything so far. Your dress is gorgeous & fits your theme very well. You did an amazing job with the Titanic outfits!
Thank you reading and your lovely comments!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #105
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

And now for the suits...

While Iím on the subject of Bridal attire, I might as well share the plan for the guysí attire. So in keeping with Casablanca theme, weíve decided to go with a look right out of the movie. Okay, Iíve decided and DF likes the idea so heís going to do it.

Hereís an image Iíve snagged from a real wedding with a similar look and feel:

(Hereís a link to the full wedding if anyone is curious: http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/gallery/3214)

And lastly hereís the look that I took from the menís warehouse website a while ago:

According to my favourite menís suit etiquette website (seriously ), ďthe white jacket variation of black tie began in the early 1930s as a way for well-heeled vacationers to dress formally in the tropical heat without having to endure the heavy and dark-colored fabrics that were standard for evening wear at the time.Ē So it is not only what I would like for DF to wear, I can also make a pretty good case for it being totally appropriate and acceptable. Not that I need that excuse, but itís nice to have it nonetheless.

When DF told his best man about it, apparently he was into the idea. DF said he was surprised because his friend isnít the kind of guy to usually go in for that sort of thing. I just agreed solemnly, but itís not like our wedding is going to be a costume party, it just has so unique aspects.

Now the only problem is that obviously DF and the best man arenít going to go and buy these suits, because they likelihood of them (especially the best man) using it ever again is probably a lot slimmer than any other kind of suit. We live in Canada, and while it sure felt tropical here when it hit something like 45 įC (113 įF) with humidity last week, itís not like thatís an everyday occurrence, and neither are formal dinner parties. Heh.

So we do want to rent the suits. I think this is going to be a bit of learning experience, that I hope DF will take care of and that I wonít have to get too, too involved in. Menís warehouse does not exist in Canada for example. And I would love to make use of the service where they drop off/pick up the suits at a Disney resort, but did they discontinue that service? I guess itís something Iíll probably need to research more and then get DF to care of once I know all the details. That seems to be how these things go.

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 06-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: