Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #151
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Next up: Invitation Construction.

DF and I have been working on this for a couple weeks now and we are finally starting to see results. My goal was to construct enough invites to give out to my family at Thanksgiving (which was last weekend in Canada). It was a bit of a push, but we finally have a lot of the work done and now we are just constructing the rest of the invitations as fast as possible. For example, I need one ready for a friend I'm meeting up with on Saturday and DF needs three for his parents to take to relatives in Hong Kong on the trip they leave for next week. We aren't really going to bother building them all and then sending them out in one huge mailing frenzy. We decided to hand deliver as many as possible to save on postage. We will still have a few to mail at the end, so, not really looking forward to seeing how much that will cost...

Anyway, here is a little photo walk-through of our wedding invitation construction process:

First step was to print out all the completed pages. We printed 35 copies of each of the three 11"x17" sheets. On each sheet there are 8 pages of the book--two spreads of four pages each. (I'm really struggling with all this lingo ).

Next we cut down the 11"x17" papers into the actual size of the pages to put in the books. First the top and bottom margins are cut off...

And then the horizontal margins. Some of these (especially the text only pages) were difficult to get exact and took extra care... slowing the process way down.

After all the sheets were cut they were folded into signatures. Three signatures per book with two spreads per signature.

And meanwhile there was more cutting to be done. Each book has two endsheets. We used a decorative wallpaper as our endsheets. These sheets hold the whole book together.

So next I put together one of each of three signatures, sandwich them between two endsheets, clamp them and sew them together with my industrial sewing machine.

And here we have a stack of the books all sewn together and ready to be put in covers.

As I mentioned the endsheets are wallpaper. We decided to use wallpaper so that we could use the glue already on the sheets to literally glue our books together. I've never wallpapered anything before, but I think after these invites are done I'll be ready to wallpaper a room. I wet it with a sponge, starting on the back endsheet...

Move into place along one of our covers...

And then clamp the wallpaper and cover together to dry a bit...

We leave them out to dry for a couple hours like this:

Then move them to flatten out and dry out like this:

Meanwhile DF cuts a few of these:

Once the book is completely dry and flattened (and sometimes they still need a little adjusting to get the spine into perfect position), we wrap them up in brown paper and twine and label them with a little mailing label.

And voila!: an enormous amount of time later, we have the book invitations I dreamed about.

Next I'll post a couple photos of the contents of the books. All of the finished ones I have at the moment are still drying under books.
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 10-12-2012 at 01:33 PM.
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #152
charliegirl76
Mouseketeer

Wow, those are amazing. You're guests will definitely appreciate the time, effort and creativity you've put into them! I wish I was that creative and crafty, but I only dabble here and there.
charliegirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #153
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl76 View Post
Wow, those are amazing. You're guests will definitely appreciate the time, effort and creativity you've put into them! I wish I was that creative and crafty, but I only dabble here and there.
Thank you so much! This particular undertaking is really pushing our combined crafty skills. They're aren't perfect, but I'm just happy it's working out!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #154
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Officiant and Hair/Make-Up

So I'm just going to jump in and interrupt my invitation posts for a moment to talk about our officiant and hair/make-up because it's topical.

I got to put two big check marks on the to-do list in the past couple weeks.

When we first got the list of recommended vendors from our consultant, one of the first things we did was go through the list, look up their websites and of course, look for reviews on the DIS. We automatically eliminated anyone without a website because we are a shy couple in Canada and phone calling is 1) Expensive and 2) Scary. (Scary for me anyway. ) We really wanted to be on top of this particular decision because we didn't want to risk losing out because our date/time was already booked up. After a lengthy search we decided we wanted to contact Rev. Jack Day. I'm not going to lie, the clincher was that a past DISbride wrote a review that raved about him and said it was like being married by Friar Tuck. DF turned to me and said, "you can't ignore that." We filled out the information form on his website as soon as we heard our dates and locations were available/set aside for us. And then we waited. And waited. And after about a month and a half we emailed him, in case the form thing didn't work out, which a lot of other DISbrides also said they'd done. To be honest, I was not really that worried, even at this point.

So at the last week of September after I lot of back-and-forthing and indecision I decided to contact Patricia Lejeune for hair and make-up. Annnd after the three day wait that they indicate on their website, it came back to me that they had no availability for our wedding day. This was quite discouraging, and to be honest I was kind of shocked. Our wedding is still nine months away!

Not wanting to waste another second I immediately contacted Beaute Speciale (our second choice, but not second by much) to check their availability. And, phheew, they were free. So hair and make-up is set for myself, my two maids of honour and my mom on the wedding morning. I haven't been told how early we'll need to be up yet, but I'm kind of scared.

With this little incident on my mind, now I started to feel a little panicky about the officiant. It was approaching four months since our first attempt at contact with Rev. Jack Day, and we had no reason to believe he would ever get back to us. So I quietly went back to the drawing board to look at more options. After more searches of the DIS, wedding videos and photos on youtube, DF and I decided to try contacting Rev. Glynn Ferguson from Sensational Ceremonies about officiating.

We sent him an email and he responded a few hours later. And it was a much bigger relief than I had expected. We set up a phone conversation time, where DF talked to him about the wedding. He asked about how we met and he told DF what it's like to live so close to WDW. Let's just say, I'm super jealous. So anyway, we booked Rev. Glynn Ferguson last week and he's been wonderful to work with so far.

Of course, yesterday Rev. Jack Day finally emailed DF back. Funnily enough, DF was reluctant to tell me about it. And now that I think about it, he didn't tell me what the email said... Oh well. It wasn't meant to be.

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 10-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #155
longwaybycarriage
Earning My Ears

Congrats on those two big check marks. I share your no website no deal philosophy! I can't imagine planning a wedding pre-internet.

I'm marvelling at your crazy crafting skills! Df wants storybook style invites. Keyword there is style. You've MADE books. Wow.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #156
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Wow, your invites look amazing! Everything I've seen from you has been absolutely incredible, I know you'll have a spectacular wedding!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #157
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwaybycarriage View Post
Congrats on those two big check marks. I share your no website no deal philosophy! I can't imagine planning a wedding pre-internet.

I'm marvelling at your crazy crafting skills! Df wants storybook style invites. Keyword there is style. You've MADE books. Wow.
Thank you! I always thought I wasn't very crafty... until this wedding. Now, if there's a will, there's a way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Wow, your invites look amazing! Everything I've seen from you has been absolutely incredible, I know you'll have a spectacular wedding!
Thank you so much for your very sweet comment! I'm blushing all over!

Just a belated Happy Halloween to everyone before I carry on with the PJ. I dream of the day when I can spend Halloween in Disney and attend Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, but until then, I like to add a little (or a lot) of Disney to my celebrations at home!

Managed to pull together my Merida costume, which my parents really seemed to love even though neither of them have seen Brave yet. They're looking forward to it now. Haha.

DF as Dr. Doof from Phineas and Ferb. Unsurprisingly, when the kids were coming around for candy Perry the Platypus was the most recognized character. One particular little girl told us a very long (and incomprehensible, though cute) story about how much she loved the show (I think...) and when DF agreed and said he loved the show, her dad asked if he was some kind of promoter. Um... can't adults just be fans too?

And a cameo from one of the Brave bears and our Expedition Everest Yeti kitten dressed as R2D2 (aka the popcorn bucket we got at DHS this past summer).
They were part of my Halloween dinner table centerpiece.

Happy Disney Halloween!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #158
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Invitations Contents

Finally I have a spare moment to post the invitations contents images. I started these pages pretty much as soon as the Save the Dates were out of the way back in December 2011. I spent a lot of my weekends (when I was away at school) writing the text and thinking of ideas and then making the initial layouts. DF also started work on the images around... February or so. Once I got back from school we really started pushing to get it all done. Anyway, without any more exposition here are the contents.

Here is the front cover. I tried my best to take a picture that actually shows the pearl on white design, hopefully it's visible in the image.

The inside cover. Each one has a little "book label" with the guests' names on handwritten on them. I can thank the Martha Stewart collection for these little details.

This is an addition made after we printed our first mock-up/test of the invitation. I think it's was DF's mom who suggested we add something to the page. It's from the lyrics of "As Time Goes By".

Our little attempt at a "how we met" story. I wanted to make something kind of fun to read and interesting to look at. I wrote the text (with some ideas from DF) and laid out the first couple frames, and then he took over once he knew what I was going for.

The formal invitation part of our invitation. I wrote the text, DF drew the picture and laid it all out.

Our wedding day schedule, as far as we know at this point. Mostly this is so guests can get an idea of the plans and the hint that they'll need to be waking up early. The design for this page took probably the longest of all, and we went through a bunch of rejected ideas before finally settling on this one.

Other events. Text and design were done by me.

RSVP. The envelope and RSVP card are held in place by the black photo corners and underneath it reads "Merci". My idea, I designed the RSVP based on some wording I found on the internet, hand labeled the envelopes and these were assembled by me. DF did the image and layout in the actual book.

Transportation information. Text by me (with help from the DIS). I laid out the text and DF added the images.

Some Disney World information for those guests who have never been. Text by me (with help from the DIS and various other sources). I'm pretty sure I did the layout on this, but by the end DF had messed around with all the layouts so it's hard to keep it straight.

Park Tickets, lest anyone think we're giving those away for free. DF did the design for this one, and I think it's probably my favourite of all the pages.

We suspect there may be a few people who are uninterested in buying park tickets (...crazy people...) so this was for them.

Last of the content pages was our resources. Planning resources, our favourite websites, and our own wedding email and website.

And that is our invitation! I think you'll all believe me when I say it was a labour of love.

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 11-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #159
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

HOLY PIXIE DUST....

Your invites are truly stunning. I them!! OMG! They really are beautiful; your guests will be stunned.

Amazing job!

Ps. your Halloween costumes were adorbs!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #160
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Your costumes are so cute! You make a great Merida

Also love the invites up close. It's clear you really put a lot of work and love into them! Your guests are very lucky!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #161
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

those invites are amazing!!! they turned out so well!! love love love them!
ShanaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #162
Evi
DIS Veteran

Amazing job on the invites and the Merida costume.

Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #163
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
HOLY PIXIE DUST....

Your invites are truly stunning. I them!! OMG! They really are beautiful; your guests will be stunned.

Amazing job!

Ps. your Halloween costumes were adorbs!
Thank you, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Your costumes are so cute! You make a great Merida

Also love the invites up close. It's clear you really put a lot of work and love into them! Your guests are very lucky!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaMouse View Post
those invites are amazing!!! they turned out so well!! love love love them!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
Amazing job on the invites and the Merida costume.
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #164
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Shoe Advice?

So I am in need of some advice. I've been searching high and low for a pair of shoes to wear on the big day, and finally I found a pair of shoes that I've been think about getting... but I'm finding it difficult to commit.

Here are the pair in question:

Shoes by American Duchess

They're quite plain on their own, so I would be looking to fancy them up to look a little more like these:

(I tried these on and was prepared to buy them, but they turned out to be too narrow for my foot.)

or

(1930s-1940s from the Met Museum collection)

or

(1930s-1940s from the Met Museum collection)

or

(These are around 350 Euros, so that's not going to happen!)

I've never done anything to shoes before, so that it's a little scary. I think I'd probably get an old pair from a secondhand store to experiment on before touching the actual shoes.

What do you guys think? I like the idea of having shoes that look a little bit more old fashioned because of the whole Casablanca theme and I need to find shoes with a heel height that is under 3" (which these are). I've been really swaying back and forth, thinking "yes I should do it!" and then but what if there's better shoes out there that require less work.

The heel height is the thing that is proving really difficult. It has to be low because I ordered a petite length dress (the hem is scalloped lace and of course there's money to be saved if it doesn't need a difficult hem job). So in that regard the shoes are quite a perfect fit. Buuuut.... I don't know, I'm so torn.

The shoes are in a pre-order phase, so I have until Nov. 19 to decide on them and then the price goes up.

Any thoughts, opinions or other bridal shoe-search-dilemma stories would be very greatly appreciated! I'm in desperate need of some second opinions!

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 11-05-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #165
tashka87
Mouseketeer

I absolutely love your invitations! How did you do the hard covers?
tashka87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: