Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Amanda132
Mouseketeer

Amanda and Jeff's December 2015 Wishes Wedding!

Ahhhhh, I've been lurking on these boards for years, and now it's finally my turn to start a planning journal! We're hoping to get married in December of next year, so I've just started getting into contact with a wedding consultant! With all this wedding planning on the brain, and ideas to get out into the open, I think it's finally an appropriate time to start one of these!

Table of Contents:
Who We Are and Our Engagement Story
General Planning Ideas
April 2008 Off-site at WDW and Disney Wonder ~ August 2009 All Star Music ~ August 2010 All Star Music ~ January 2011 All Star Music ~ August 2011 Disney Dream ~ June 2012 Moved to Orlando! ~ February 2014 Re-Imagined Disney Magic ~ June 2014 Disney Dream

Last edited by Amanda132; 09-17-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Amanda132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Amanda132
Mouseketeer

Who we are:

This is us! Me, Amanda (22) and my fiance, Jeff (26). Oh, and Mickey Mouse (86).

We met through mutual friends, and we live in the Orlando area. We're both huge Disney fans, so we're always at the parks. (I'm also quickly turning him into a Disney Cruise addict, as you can see in the above picture.)

Our engagement story:
Our engagement story probably isn't as exciting as some other couple's, but it's perfect for us. We had talked about marriage quite a bit before getting engaged, since we live together, and Jeff was well aware that I did not want a public proposal. I don't particularly like being the center of attention, so the idea of getting engaged in front of the castle or something was sort of terrifying to me. So on September 2, 2014, we were walking from the Polynesian to the Grand Floridian after breakfast at Ohana, when Jeff proposed on the walk there. I was shaking, and my brain's first response was, "Are you serious?" Spoiler alert: he was. We spent the rest of the day at Magic Kingdom and Epcot, basking in the glow of my sparkly new ring and our "Just Engaged" buttons.

A photobooth picture we took in the Tomorrowland Arcade, about an hour after getting engaged:

Ring and Just Engaged button!

We knew basically right away that we would want a Disney wedding!
April 2008 Off-site at WDW and Disney Wonder ~ August 2009 All Star Music ~ August 2010 All Star Music ~ January 2011 All Star Music ~ August 2011 Disney Dream ~ June 2012 Moved to Orlando! ~ February 2014 Re-Imagined Disney Magic ~ June 2014 Disney Dream
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Amanda132
Mouseketeer

General Planning:
There are a few things that we knew right off the bat that we (I) wanted to do. I knew I wanted a weekday in the first two weeks of December, because of the lower minimums and because I've always imagined a winter themed wedding. I knew I wanted the Yacht Club Gazebo for the ceremony. I knew I wanted the Roots. Those were the three things on my list, pretty much ever since I found out that Disney FTWs exist.

The guest list was a little tricky. It seems like for every person you add, you have to add two more people because you can't invite Person A without the chance that Person B will find out and get upset. As a result, we originally had a crazy big guest list. I was getting really overwhelmed/scared at the idea of how much it would cost us, so we sat down and wrote out who we couldn't imagine getting married without. The list came to about 30. So right now, that's our plan, with a little wiggle room just in case.

As far as the reception, we're not quite sure what our plans are. I've started speaking a little bit to a wedding consultant, and she suggested for our relatively small group size, we look at the Napa Room at the California Grill. I like this idea because of the view of the castle and potentially Wishes if we have an evening reception (built in dessert party!). But I'm not crazy about the decor there (specifically the rug) and that you're stuck with their specific menu. Also with CG, we'd have to transport everyone from the Yacht Club to the CG and then back, which could add up.

On the other hand, the consultant mentioned that there is a convention at the Yacht and Beach on our tentative date. They don't have the smaller ballrooms booked, but I'm not sure how I feel about my small wedding being right in the middle of a big convention. I do prefer the Yacht and Beach ballrooms to the Boardwalk though, so Y&B is our other potential choice.

The consultant did email me pictures of the Attic, which would be the other option in the Y&B/Boardwalk area that would fit our group, but the decor just doesn't match our vision. Plus we want a DJ, which you can't have in the Attic.

One other thing the consultant mentioned, which I love, is having the pre-reception at the marina across from the gazebo. I've seen photos of weddings at the marina, and they look amazing. However, I would be too paranoid about weather to host the full reception there, especially worrying about whether or not it would be too cold in December. But having the pre-reception there is like the best of both worlds! I wouldn't be as worried about it getting moved due to weather, since it's only an hour. I'll just have to see how the cost would work out with having to put tables and decor out there.

So that's a lot of planning thoughts all crammed together, but we have basically decided that we'd like to see the Napa Room and a smaller ballroom at the Y&B convention center during our site visit. I also want to bring my mom (who is also local) along with us, so we can get her 100% on board with DFTW. I've been emailing with the consultant a bit, but I think I might call her in the next few days to ask her about scheduling a site visit.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Good luck with everything! I've also been a lurker for awhile, but have no reason to make a PJ of my own...yet. Your ring is gorgeous! Disney Cruises are easy to get addicted to so I can how it might be pretty easy to turn someone else into an addict! Can't wait to read more!

EpicBilynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: