Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
They are starting to take the position that discounts are damaging in the long term as they cheapen the brand. They are still offering lots of discounts, they just are trying to make it less obvious to the general American public. Lots of pin codes, AP discounts, Florida resident discounts. There was a room only offer for Canadians.
They believe they can reach the appropriate occupancy rates without offering steep discounts to the American general public.
And they would rather have 80% occupancy at $400 per night, as opposed to 85% occupancy at $250 per night.
That's their right, but I don't have to like it or agree with it. Since I am not Canadian, do not live in Florida, and never get pincodes, we'll just have to change the way we vacation. And for us that will mean staying offsite or renting DVC points. I think at some point Disney will reach the tipping point and people will start to push back.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC

Last edited by Tarheel girl 1975; 09-15-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
Christine9125
DIS Veteran

We are going and have a rate I am comfortable with, but would love to stay BC CL again next year like I did this year. We were spoiled.

1999-ASMo, 2002-ASMo, 2004-WL, 2008-POP, 2011-BC CL, 2013-POP, 2015-BC
Christine9125 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
kadesha
DIS Veteran

We will have to have some kind of discount to be able to afford it. I didn't realize that the prices have went up so much for 2012. Hoping they offer one, or I get a pin! I used to get them a lot but I haven't seen any in a while.

Last trips: August 2006, May 2007, November 2008, June 2009, and May 2012

Kadesha
Al
Alyssa
Destiny
kadesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #19
Gingerg11
I solemnly swear I am up to no good...

Booking for Fall 2012

Have to attend a wedding at WDW next October, prices without discounts are insane! The Deluxe resort room rates have really gone up alot in 10 years. A nondiscounted room in the Contemporary tower cannot be had for under $400 per night. Ten years ago I paid half that and 2 years before that under $200/nite. A Disney vacation is an expensive vacation, but almost $500 a nite for a room? I can't afford that. Most people I know can't afford that and I live in an area of the country where the cost of living is not cheap. Add to that the ticket prices going up every year...

Okay, rant over.

When we were there in August we noticed an overwhelming amount of visitors from other countries...I am wondering if they are running international specials to fill the rooms...

Jennie
Gingerg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #20
Pikester
DIS Veteran

I was hoping for a discount of some kind that would help us with our trip in Feb/March 2012. FD came out and I was so excited until I saw that the dates of our trip are excluded from that.

Twice I've gone to the Disney Website and seen an ad about discounts for a trip, twice I've gone through the steps of booking a vacation so that I could see what the price would be and twice I've been disappointed to see that the prices were actually for overseas vacationers. Free Dining could be combined with discounted rooms and tickets! Must be nice.

Not sure how I accessed that particular page.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #21
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran

Add me to this list. We have a family reunion of sorts in the Outerbanks in June of 2012 and I am still trying to figure out a way to get to Disney in the fall. money is tight, as we usually do one vacation a year!

I would love some sort of way to make our stay cheaper!!!!!!!

What are the free dining dates again?

Next trip to WDW
August 23, 2014-September 1, 2014 - POR!

Next cruise: August 30, 2015 RCCL Freedom of the Seas!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #22
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel girl 1975 View Post
That's their right, but I don't have to like it or agree with it. Since I am not Canadian, do not live in Florida, and never get pincodes, we'll just have to change the way we vacation. And for us that will mean staying offsite or renting DVC points. I think at some point Disney will reach the tipping point and people will start to push back.
I hope you're right. They do seem to change strategies every few years.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #23
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

I'm still holding out hope there will be a Disney Visa or general public discount during slow seasons of 2012. Time will tell......
Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #24
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

It really frustrates me that Canadians are being offered discounts right now that Americans are not!

Disney's Boardwalk Villas January 2015 Desperate For More Disney Magic

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
momtwoboys
DIS Veteran

I was sad that for 2012 the prices are so high! I priced out a package at ASMO with tickets, and dining and we are now renting points from a friend to stay at AKV jambo house with the dining plan and tickets from UT and it came out CHEAPER!!!! If this is the end of discounts we will be renting points from now on! Can you believe that? $184.04 cheaper to stay at AKV over ASMO????
DS (13)
Lily
momtwoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #26
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
It really frustrates me that Canadians are being offered discounts right now that Americans are not!
While I can understand your frustration (americans are constantly offered things that I can not be because I am in Canada) my assumption of why we are getting discounts (I don't have one for the dates I am going) is because it costs a hell of alot to fly to the US from Canada. So it helps balance out the cost so that it's still viable for us to vacation at Disney too.

I am very jealous of the cost of flights you can get in the US. For me and my three kids I'm looking at around $3000 for return flights!
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 AM   #27
Belle-To-Be
Mouseketeer

I am very jealous of the cost of flights you can get in the US. For me and my three kids I'm looking at around $3000 for return flights![/QUOTE]

Wow, that's more than I spend on the entire vacation or I don't go. Thanks for clearing that up. I won't begrudge any discounts you get!
Belle-To-Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #28
Saylan
Frosty Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLassell View Post
While I can understand your frustration (americans are constantly offered things that I can not be because I am in Canada) my assumption of why we are getting discounts (I don't have one for the dates I am going) is because it costs a hell of alot to fly to the US from Canada. So it helps balance out the cost so that it's still viable for us to vacation at Disney too.

I am very jealous of the cost of flights you can get in the US. For me and my three kids I'm looking at around $3000 for return flights!
I was thinking something similar. I'm very lucky to live within driving distance of the border (if you count 3 hours driving distance, which I do, but ugh). Not everyone is so lucky. The cost to fly out of the largest international Canadian airport near me is about 5 or more times the cost to fly out of the nearest American airport.

Not to mention, flying 'internationally' means having to check in earlier than domestic. I definitely prefer getting a ride down to the border regardless of the insanely early hours I have to do pull it off (9:00 am flight = 2 am or earlier leaving the house ).

Pretty much in every other category, it costs more to get something in Canada too, so we definitely know your pain (the US prices are on everything, so we know what we're missing out on too ).
Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #29
deedeew80
Dreaming of My Prince

I am hoping some sort of discount or pin comes out for my upcoming trip in Oct 2012. I haven't been to WDW since my honeymoon in Oct 2008 and when I was pricing for this upcoming trip I couldn't believe how much more expensive it is!!!! We always stay at CBR, but if I don't get some sort of discount we will have to stay at a value. Which I wouldn't mind, as long as I'm in Disney!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #30
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle-To-Be View Post

Wow, that's more than I spend on the entire vacation or I don't go. Thanks for clearing that up. I won't begrudge any discounts you get!
Not to high jack the post but yeah it's gonna cost me about $2600 for the 10 days, 11nights at POP and 8 day park hopper and then about $3000 to just fly there and back. (No direct flights out of Winnipeg to Orlando). lol So I'd LOVE a discount or free dining. Cause I still have to pay for food and souvineers on top of those #s I just gave!
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: