Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

Just back split stay BC and RPH

Just returned from 10 day split stay Beach club/ Royal Pacific trip. If you look at my signature I am a huge fan of Disney deluxe resorts and always will be. We also love Loews properties and especially the Royal Pacific. I had to share with Universal fans some of my highlights of my Royal pacific stay. Especially for those trying to decide if it is worth it vs. Cabana Bay.

Our first trip to Royal Pacific was November ,2002. It was just as beautiful peaceful and tropical as it always has been. Very little noticeable wear and tear. Check in, Greeted by Aloha, huge vast ceilings, poly theme. courtyard, fountains, etc. I find that this lobby blows away the poly at disney. Complimentary flavored ice water, in the lobby, at the entrance, at the pool, all a great touch. Does not feel crowded or rushe,d just peaceful. Staff extremely attentive and eager to please. I needed a bottle opener, had one in minutes, same goes with rollaway bed, which was actually comfortable, and anything else you need from star service. It is far more relaxing and less chaotic than beach club entrance areas. Orchid Lounge. for breakfast quick service and an excellent sushi bar. Such a relaxing and beautiful place to get breakfast before the parks. Same staff at Lounge everyday, addressed me by name, knew what I preferred re: beverages etc. Absolutely gorgeous and comfortable area to relax. So spread out never felt crowded.

Our room, we got the Jurassic park suite with an AP discount for $303.00 a night. A real steal! Kids loved it. Lots of space. Way more dresser space than most hotels. A big deal for the 5 of us. Housekeeping was great. There was a crack in a piece of glass in the kids room furniture when we checked in. I let front desk know and they immediately, as in that second, addressed it and aplogized(sincerely).

Dining- a real treat. Food at the Loews resort is expensive. You can also count on it being very, very, good. Jake's was great and Mama Della's is outstanding at Portifino Bay. Speaking of eating at other hotels. Unlike Disney, where you have to take a cab or figure out how to catch a bus, boat, monorail your way to other resorts, Loews has a complimentary fleet of black Escalades and high end SUV's waiting at each hotel to take you to your reservation at no charge. Especially helpful during our one rainy night.

The pool and pool bar were great! no slide but kids did not miss it. Had a blast. Nightly movie you can watch from the pool. Loved walking or boating to park.

Bottom line, Loews does an excellent job at running this resort. The staff was so friendly and attentive. It is truly a beautiful place to stay. What I loved most was how much more relaxed I was here vs. the first half of the trip.

The fact that you get FOTL access is just further icing on the cake.We were there at a slow time, many waits were 10 minutes but at times the more popular ones were 45. To give you an idea of the difference it makes. On arrival night we were not going to go to any parks,it was almost 5 and the park closed at 7. But we headed over and got to ride all the main rides at IOA and were headed out just before closing. Another nice perk is that the FOTL access has a more direct entrance. So even if wait was only a 5 minute wait, we still used it because you avoid weaving thru the very long ques.

We will be back to Disney for sure, but we sure love our Royal Pacific!
2003; Gracie's first trip Wilderness Lodge;May, 2005 Logan's first trip Wilderness Lodge; December, 2005 Wilderness Lodge;January 2007 Poly and WL Marathon Weekend; Sept 2007 10 days WL/Poly;Sept 2008 10 days BCV/WLV; June 2009 Swan; Thanksgiving Fort WIlderness/Contemporary200;June 2010 Wilderness Lodge, September 2010 Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge; December 2010 Wilderness Lodge and Swan; September, 2011 WL and Dolphin; Buying a house instead of a 2012 trip, actually going anyway and got new house. Sept. 2012 10 days WL/BC concierge, July 2013 AoA and WBC to do all the Orlando attractions we never get to; Sept. 2013 WL Villas and BWV, 4/2014 Chaperone chorus trip to POP, September 2014, Beach club than Universal RPR, youngest finally big enough for Spiderman!
mom4graceandlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Great review!

Thanks

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
glocon
DIS Veteran

In a few weeks we will have our first RPR stay, and in the JP suite also. I am so glad to hear a good review so close to our vacation.

Thanks for the report!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

OP - Nice review Agree that RPR gets the nod for the better lobby and it never seems to me as congested/noisy either imo.

Re your BC portion of the trip, were you in hotel or DVC unit? Curious if your room was in good order? We've had hit or miss experiences both there & BW over the years.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

op, it is always nice to read reviews of how much they enjoyed RPH.

i've stayed at them all, but call RPH my home away from home.

i'll be leaving next week for the motherland then swithing my last 12 days to rph.
i love being able to totally relax on that portion of my vacation.
i have plenty of time to do the parks, city walk and just enjoy the hotel.

nothing like a laid back trip to de-stress and just be at that resort with no rushing for anything.

thanks again for sharing.
personal experiences always helps others make a decision on which hotel would be right for them.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

OP here. re: Beach Club. We stayed in a garden view regular room. Not the villas. The rooms and hall are starting to really show wear. It is definetely due for its rehab. I am not the best at reviewing Disney hotels because I tend to always let things slide because I love it and its Disney. Whereas with RPH, I expect alot because I stay at other Loew's properties and expect the same quality( and was very happy with RPH)Whenever we had issues or were unsatisfied at the Beach Club, my husband always comes back with, Yeah, but we can walk to Epcot(our favorite Park).

Since you asked, there were a few issues with our room condition. ( General moldy smell in bathroom and dirty ventilation fan.). My 5 year old son, brought me starburst he found under the bedskirt. Yuck. My only real gripe was the difficulty finding an outlet anywhere to plug in phones computers etc. Only one wall had a 2 prong outlet you could access. Every other outlet, was a tight squeeze behind furniture and very very very dusty. Don't think it had been cleaned since last rehab. Outlet in bathroom was over sink so really could not do computers ipads there etc. Hopefully this will be addressed in rehab. At WL, and I believe BW not sure, The table has outlets built in. There was also some really beat up furniture in our hall to our room(not intentionally distressed) but damaged. So those are the only things I noticed. Marketplace was a zoo as usual. Still love the Beach Club, look forward to seeing it again after they complete renovations.

AT RPH, room was spotless. There was a damaged piece of furniture(which I already mentioned in my review). That was addressed. I think that was a design flaw for the Jurassic Park room. Glass front cabinet and dinosaur crazed boys don't mix.
2003; Gracie's first trip Wilderness Lodge;May, 2005 Logan's first trip Wilderness Lodge; December, 2005 Wilderness Lodge;January 2007 Poly and WL Marathon Weekend; Sept 2007 10 days WL/Poly;Sept 2008 10 days BCV/WLV; June 2009 Swan; Thanksgiving Fort WIlderness/Contemporary200;June 2010 Wilderness Lodge, September 2010 Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge; December 2010 Wilderness Lodge and Swan; September, 2011 WL and Dolphin; Buying a house instead of a 2012 trip, actually going anyway and got new house. Sept. 2012 10 days WL/BC concierge, July 2013 AoA and WBC to do all the Orlando attractions we never get to; Sept. 2013 WL Villas and BWV, 4/2014 Chaperone chorus trip to POP, September 2014, Beach club than Universal RPR, youngest finally big enough for Spiderman!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
disneydawn71
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the review of RPH. We are staying there for the 1st time in November before heading over to a 3-way split stay at Disney. Looks like a stay at the RPH will do a nice job of easing us into our vacation!

We are fans of the Polynesian, (aren't staying there this time due to the construction), so this is why I thought the RPH would fit the bill and your review has reassured me it will!
WDW | 12.5-12 2015 | GF
disneydawn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Great review of RPH, especially for those of us who have never been to Universal, but are planning a trip.... thank you for sharing your experience!! We can't wait!! Glad you're trip was so wonderful !!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting this. We have our 1st Universal trip planned over Winter Break. We debated staying at Cabana Bay (and paying for the front of the line passes) or RPH. In the end, we decided on RPH, and I am so happy we did! I cannot wait for this trip - I know it's going to be packed, but we've done Disney at Christmas, so I figure with the front of the line pass - it can't be worse!!
3smithboys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
lazer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
Great review of RPH, especially for those of us who have never been to Universal, but are planning a trip.... thank you for sharing your experience!! We can't wait!! Glad you're trip was so wonderful !!!
Ditto! This made me even more excited to be there in three weeks (didn't know that was possible)!
lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
jitterbug
Mouseketeer

We will be splitting our stay just as you have. One week at BC and one week at RPH, but in a standard room, not a suite. Very interesting to hear the comparison on the 2 resorts. Thanks for sharing!
jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

The standard rooms are great too! That is where we stayed in the past. We did the Jp suite because we needed space as the 3 kids are growing!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I went back and forth on where to stay on this trip but eventually settled on our fourth visit to RPH. I just love it there. We've done many Disney/Universal vacations and one of my favourite memories ever was watching a movie in the pool at RPH and swimming around with ds. It wasn't the movie, or that we don't swim on vacation everywhere we stay. It was just a perfect night in a beautiful setting and we were so RELAXED! So as much as I would like to try Cabana Bay or the HardRock, I am really excited for another stay at Royal Pacific. It's been two years and that's too long!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

Pigletto, I totally understand! Royal pacific has become so special to us, nothing specific, just really great memories! It now ranks close to wilderness lodge,where we honeymooned in 1996, in being able to guarantee a great and stress free time!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4graceandlogan View Post
Pigletto, I totally understand! Royal pacific has become so special to us, nothing specific, just really great memories! It now ranks close to wilderness lodge,where we honeymooned in 1996, in being able to guarantee a great and stress free time!
Funny you should say that. We stayed at WLV last Christmas and one of my other favourite vacation memories ever was sharing a lounger with ds on the beach at WL and watching the electrical water parade!
I think sometimes theme park vacations can be anything but relaxing, so any time we are truly relaxed really sticks out in my mind!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: