Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
laurajetter
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy thinks my Chocolate Lab Hershey is a cutie!
WHAT IS THE STUPID DEAL WITH THESE BANANAS?

Help me plan my menu for a summer backyard party

My 6 year old son's birthday party is this coming Saturday and we are having in the backyard. As we usually do, we're serving lunch to everyone, parents included. Things we've done in the past for the main dish are lunch meat trays & rolls to make sandwiches, fried chicken,

The sides we'll probably have will be along the line of pasta salad, chopped mixed fruit, potato salad.

I'm getting tired of the lunch meat tray and am looking for other main dish ideas that would be good for kids and adults alike, and that would work well outdoors in the heat. Would a pasta casserole work or would that be too hot and/or conflict with the cold pasta salad? Any other ideas? Just looking for something different than what we've done in the past.

Also, and interesting side dish ideas are welcome.

TIA... I always enjoy going to other peoples' parties but when it comes to planning my own menu my brain turns to mush!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

I've always found that chicken fingers go over well with everyone! You can get them pre cooked and then just have to pop them in oven to heat up (I use Tyson brand). I usually have a big tray of Mac'n cheese to go along with this (home made or from a pack, whichever is easiest for you).

Do you have a grill? Why not burgers or hot dogs? I've served London Broil (marinate for a few hours or overnight and just toss on the grill). Maybe one of the dads can watch over the grill to free up some time for you?
I've been served a ham (spiral cut makes it easier to serve) at a BBQ as well and that was a nice change of pace.

I like to have a big tossed salad with one or two dressings and top with some nice croutons and cheese (kept on the side to add as your guests want).

I always go for make ahead whenever I can so I'm not going crazy at party time especially when little kids are around. Have fun!
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneeyes View Post
I've always found that chicken fingers go over well with everyone! You can get them pre cooked and then just have to pop them in oven to heat up (I use Tyson brand). I usually have a big tray of Mac'n cheese to go along with this (home made or from a pack, whichever is easiest for you).

Do you have a grill? Why not burgers or hot dogs? I've served London Broil (marinate for a few hours or overnight and just toss on the grill). Maybe one of the dads can watch over the grill to free up some time for you?
I've been served a ham (spiral cut makes it easier to serve) at a BBQ as well and that was a nice change of pace.

I like to have a big tossed salad with one or two dressings and top with some nice croutons and cheese (kept on the side to add as your guests want).

I always go for make ahead whenever I can so I'm not going crazy at party time especially when little kids are around. Have fun!
I would definitely go with one of these ideas - probably the chicken fingers or the burgers and dogs.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
luckey-lasvegas
All our $$ is in IRA's - Ice Rink Activities

Do you belong to a Sams Club or Costco? When we have our large family gatherings I buy some Rotissire Chickens and cut them up. My cousins younger kids always seem to head to the chicken before the other options on the table. At $5 a piece you can kid 40 pieces of chicken for $20.00 and the kids love the drum sticks.
10/29/05 1st Disney Magic cruise
luckey-lasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: