Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #76
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suburban Philadelphia
Posts: 1,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I have been on ship excursions that returned late. I have never been on a private tour that returned late. Ship excursions sometimes return late because they can. If a private vendor returned late, that company would soon be out of business. The folks who "miss the boat" are usually not on tours but are on their own. They miscalculate the time, drink too much, are idiots...whatever!
I believe you are missing the point. While I agree with you about GOOD private vendors usually make sure they are on time (to stay in business) ... the whole idea is ... if a DCL tour is late ... THE SHIP WILL WAIT. If a private tour operator is late (for any reason, including those beyond their control ... traffic, mechanical breakdown, etc) ... the ship (generally) WILL NOT wait. We sailed DCL TransAtlantic in 2010. Two of our tours were late returning to the ship ... BOTH due to traffic. One DCL tour was 58 minutes late ... but the ship stayed in its berth. Had we been on a privately booked tour (or hanging out in a local bar), we would have had to pay our own way to the next port.

Steven
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #77
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suburban Philadelphia
Posts: 1,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
I booked nachi cocom through their website directly:
http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/default.cfm

There is a $11 pp non refundable deposit and you pay the rest in cash when you arrive. The taxi is 15 min and cost $15 for 1-4 ppl. I have never been there before, but have done lots of research Sorry there is no email response, I have never tried to reach them besides paying the deposit through paypal and that worked. Hope to see you there!
To this date, they have NOT responded to my queries. It's a shame ... the place looks nice (like I said, I think I was there previously, through another operator). I'm just concerned / confused as to why the operator (any operator) would spend $$$ on a website and promotion ... then fail MANY, MANY TIMES to respond to a potential guest.


Steven
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #78
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
I believe you are missing the point. While I agree with you about GOOD private vendors usually make sure they are on time (to stay in business) ... the whole idea is ... if a DCL tour is late ... THE SHIP WILL WAIT. If a private tour operator is late (for any reason, including those beyond their control ... traffic, mechanical breakdown, etc) ... the ship (generally) WILL NOT wait. We sailed DCL TransAtlantic in 2010. Two of our tours were late returning to the ship ... BOTH due to traffic. One DCL tour was 58 minutes late ... but the ship stayed in its berth. Had we been on a privately booked tour (or hanging out in a local bar), we would have had to pay our own way to the next port.

Steven
I understand your point that the ship will wait for their excursions. My point was that a reputable private tour operator (and I don't mean the taxi that you hail at the pier) will guarantee to get you to the the next port if they return late. However, I have never heard of that being necessary. Bet the private tour operators on your TA cruise were back in time!

By the way, anyone who misses the boat because they are hanging out in a local bar is an idiot.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #79
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran
 
parrotheadlois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Beautiful Warren County New Jersey
Posts: 2,144

Nachi Cocom does look beautiful - maybe they had reached their max?

Greg and I are going to Chankanaab National Park. We've been there before. It's a short cab ride from the ship (you can see the ship from the beach).
There's an admission fee of about $21.
We won't be swimming with the dolphins or going to any other shows that we'd have to pay extra for. We'll rent the snorkel gear - you can snorkel right off the beach. We're just planning on a relaxing day.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Peninsula.html

If we have time, we'll take a cab back to town for a little shopping.
__________________
parrotheadlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #80
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,406
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
If you are late, and miss the private tour ... private trip insurance generally WILL NOT cover you because you were at Cabana's too long (not even Disney covers you for that). If the tour operator does not show up, or does not fulfill their end of the bargain, there is no guarantee you will get a refund through private insurance. Typically, insurance companies want confirmation. Try getting confirmation from an operator who did not cooperate with the guest.
Most travel insurance does NOT cover you for default of the tour operator at all. They cover you for things that happen to you that cause you to miss a cruise, a tour, etc. If you book a tour with a company that goes out of business, or doesn't show up to pick you up, that is explicitly not covered by most policies. You're usually told to appeal the charge with your credit card company (although usually you can only do that up to 6 months after the purchase). Some policies will cover this kind of thing, but it's a special coverage you have to get within, say, 2 weeks of first deposit, like a pre-existing condition waiver.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #81
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
If you are late, and miss the private tour ... private trip insurance generally WILL NOT cover you because you were at Cabana's too long (not even Disney covers you for that). If the tour operator does not show up, or does not fulfill their end of the bargain, there is no guarantee you will get a refund through private insurance. Typically, insurance companies want confirmation. Try getting confirmation from an operator who did not cooperate with the guest.

I have heard many people use Captain Marvins - usually it is good feedback. That aside, of all ports to exercise caution ... Grand Cayman (or ANY port which tenders) is one you do not want to risk being late. Saving $10 sounds good, but if you are 2 minutes late ... you just spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to save ten!


Steven
If you prepay for a private tour and the ship doesn't make it to port - your private trip insurance (not DCL's) generally WILL cover that cost - if the vendor doesn't offer a refund. Trip insurance may or may not cover the cost of an excursion where the tour operator doesn't show up. (That tour operator may not be in business long, either!) As sayhello said - appealing to your credit card company to dispute the charge may be sufficient. However, trip insurance doesn't cover stupidity - like missing a tour (or the ship) because you weren't paying attention to the time - for whatever reason.

In 2005 I used Native Way Watersports for an excellent Stingray and Island tour in Grand Cayman: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/. That tour was in the middle of the day, with plenty of time before and after to get off and on the ship. I would have no problem booking with them again.

Last edited by NancyIL; 11-27-2012 at 07:47 AM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: