Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,658

Best airline reward credit card?

Thought about posting this on the transportation board, but there are a lot of questions about traveling to Orlando on that board, so I thought I might get a more useful response from you guys. I have a Southwest Visa, but at this point I'm more interested in getting points for international flights, so I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting a different card. I see the commercials on TV for the Capital One Venture card and I'm interested since they claim that you will earn more points than the other airline rewards cards. I use my credit cards for most purchases and keep them paid off, so I'm able to accrue quite a few points. If you have a Captial One card, are the points easy to redeem? Is there anything you don't like about it? Or maybe somebody has another airline rewards card that they really like and would recommend.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
Denniee
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
Thought about posting this on the transportation board, but there are a lot of questions about traveling to Orlando on that board, so I thought I might get a more useful response from you guys. I have a Southwest Visa, but at this point I'm more interested in getting points for international flights, so I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting a different card. I see the commercials on TV for the Capital One Venture card and I'm interested since they claim that you will earn more points than the other airline rewards cards. I use my credit cards for most purchases and keep them paid off, so I'm able to accrue quite a few points. If you have a Captial One card, are the points easy to redeem? Is there anything you don't like about it? Or maybe somebody has another airline rewards card that they really like and would recommend.
If you feel and you have got enough knowledge about the card ... !! And it would benefit you too then you should go for it... But before doing any action, you should have complete knowledge about it.!!
__________________
Denniee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
Thought about posting this on the transportation board, but there are a lot of questions about traveling to Orlando on that board, so I thought I might get a more useful response from you guys. I have a Southwest Visa, but at this point I'm more interested in getting points for international flights, so I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting a different card. I see the commercials on TV for the Capital One Venture card and I'm interested since they claim that you will earn more points than the other airline rewards cards. I use my credit cards for most purchases and keep them paid off, so I'm able to accrue quite a few points. If you have a Captial One card, are the points easy to redeem? Is there anything you don't like about it? Or maybe somebody has another airline rewards card that they really like and would recommend.
You might want to ask on flyertalk.com. Also the transp. board is still a great resource for non-MCO info as well. There are a lot of frequent fliers there that can help.
Can't hurt to ask...
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,658

Thanks, I did think of looking on Flyertalk and found a lot of information. Looks like there are some pretty good rewards programs out there, but I think I'm just as well off sticking with what I've got (except for the Southwest card - since it has an annual fee I'll might get rid of it) and just taking the cash back rewards.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.
 
Pakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 20,097

I have Capital One. I use the points sometimes for domestic flights. Even though I charge a lot to accumulate points, it takes a lot so it's not like I'm picking up a free trip every year. I try to always fly on one airline and belong to that airline's frequent flier program; it's a better way to earn miles than from a rewards credit card, especially on long international flights.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,658

Thanks, Pakey. I belong to all of the major airline rewards programs, but my dilemma is which card to get. I haven't been able to fly on a single airline since no one airline consistently has the best price or a schedule that will work. That's why I thought the Captial One card might be good, but I think I'm better off using my Amex and getting 3% cash back. I may try one of the airline cards and see if I can get enough miles for a free flight after I use it for a couple of years, especially if I can find one that waives the annual fee for the first year.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball
 
rlduvall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,572

Like you, I spent quite of bit of research on this issue and consistently read that Capital One was the best airline rewards card to get. Also, if you sign up now you will receive 25,000 bonus miles; that's equal to $250. in airfare. [I sound like an infomercial] You then earn 2 miles per every dollar spent and I believe they have bonus categories or vendors you can earn a little more. The only negative is the $59. a year annual fee - which is waived the first year.

You must have excellent credit - which sounds like isn't an issue at all.
__________________
rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
pjacobi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 834

CASH is king!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
Also, if you sign up now you will receive 25,000 bonus miles; that's equal to $250. in airfare.
There always seems to be some restriction on redeeming "miles" or "points" or "Disney Dollars" hidden in the fine print that limits how or when it can be used.

I prefer a card with CASH reward. That forces an honest valuation and there is no limit on how, when or what it can be used.


-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball
 
rlduvall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
There always seems to be some restriction on redeeming "miles" or "points" or "Disney Dollars" hidden in the fine print that limits how or when it can be used.

I prefer a card with CASH reward. That forces an honest valuation and there is no limit on how, when or what it can be used.


-Paul
Normally, I would agree with you and I still love and use my cash back only cards, too, but I researched this card for a long time before biting the bullet - no hidden agenda. Capitol One has one of the easiest reward programs to negotiate. There are multiple ways to redeem your points. In the 25,000 point example for instance, all you have to do is purchase a ticket for let's say $200. When you use your Capitol One card to buy the ticket, all you do is add two zeros (00) to the end of the cost of the airline ticket and that is how many points it uses, period, end of story. There are no black out dates or certain airlines you have to use at only certain times of the day.
__________________
rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Smuggs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 77

I use a Starwood AMEX for everything. That way I can use it for flights or hotels. I transfer points to my USAIR to redeem on Star Alliance partners. If I fly overseas, I prefer not to fly US carriers.
Smuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.
 
Pakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 20,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
Normally, I would agree with you and I still love and use my cash back only cards, too, but I researched this card for a long time before biting the bullet - no hidden agenda. Capitol One has one of the easiest reward programs to negotiate. There are multiple ways to redeem your points. In the 25,000 point example for instance, all you have to do is purchase a ticket for let's say $200. When you use your Capitol One card to buy the ticket, all you do is add two zeros (00) to the end of the cost of the airline ticket and that is how many points it uses, period, end of story. There are no black out dates or certain airlines you have to use at only certain times of the day.
Capital One is very easy. You can also redeem points for travel related items, not just airfare. I've actually twice redeemed points to pay my annual DVC dues.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.