Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Euros, Euros & more Euros

As time draws near for our Viva Italia trip - 40 days and counting - I have been consumed with Euros and exchange rates and the how and where's and why's of it all.

I'm exhausted and I have a headache

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I do ahead of time, will somehow be to either my advantage or disadvantage. Sometimes too much information is a bad thing...

All week-long I have been monitoring Euros. I've been checking the a.m. And p.m. Exchange rates for Wells Fargo, Travelex and eFX. All three are well respected online exchange companies. Wells Fargo seems to have the lowest exchange rate overall. The rates have roller coastered this week in line the stock market.
Unfortunately, shipping must be to the billing address on your credit card. This means that someone has to be home to sign for the money package. It can't be shipped to my office... Bummer
Travelex has locations in various parts of the country, sadly not here n Western NY
We do have two eFX exchanges here though. One at our Galleria Mall and another up in Niagara Falls

What I've decided to do, is watch the Euro market on Monday and Tuesday.
Then I'm going to go and purchase some Euros in person so we have funds to begin with.
Then I'm going to purchase a prepaid Euro card from Travelex and have it preloaded not with American funds but Euros. That way I won't have to be concerned with the exchange rates while traveling. The card is the Europe standard with a chip in it( no magnetic strip) and I'll also have a pin # to use with it. It will act as either a debit or credit card for purchases and ATM and there is NO FEE imposed by Travelex. Plus, if needed, I can reload the card online while traveling if I start to run short of spending $

Well, that's it for now --- time for another aspirin for my Euro-headache

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Mirthrindr2
Mouseketeer

Great information corky, it was very helpful for me since I to have been needing to start thinking about the same exact thing.

Sorry about the headache. Maybe next time it will be Vino induced making just a tad more justified. ;-)

Mirthrindr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
As time draws near for our Viva Italia trip - 40 days and counting - I have been consumed with Euros and exchange rates and the how and where's and why's of it all.

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I do ahead of time, will somehow be to either my advantage or disadvantage. Sometimes too much information is a bad thing...

All week-long I have been monitoring Euros. I've been checking the a.m. And p.m. Exchange rates for Wells Fargo, Travelex and eFX. All three are well respected online exchange companies. Wells Fargo seems to have the lowest exchange rate overall. The rates have roller coastered this week in line the stock market.
Unfortunately, shipping must be to the billing address on your credit card. This means that someone has to be home to sign for the money package. It can't be shipped to my office... Bummer
Travelex has locations in various parts of the country, sadly not here n Western NY
We do have two eFX exchanges here though. One at our Galleria Mall and another up in Niagara Falls

Then I'm going to go and purchase some Euros in person so we have funds to begin with.
Then I'm going to purchase a prepaid Euro card from Travelex and have it preloaded not with American funds but Euros. That way I won't have to be concerned with the exchange rates while traveling. The card is the Europe standard with a chip in it( no magnetic strip) and I'll also have a pin # to use with it. It will act as either a debit or credit card for purchases and ATM and there is NO FEE imposed by Travelex. Plus, if needed, I can reload the card online while traveling if I start to run short of spending $

The first time I went on an ABD to Europe, I wanted to get a few euros before hand and I got them through my bank and was able to pick them up at the local branch, it only took a day. I then used the ATM's in Europe, I knew I would be going back so I made sure I came home with some. I also use a credit card when there for most purchases, I got a Capital one Credit card just for travel outside of the US they don't charge Foreign transactions fees on their credit cards nor on ATM withdrawls (I have a bank account with them as well).
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
jjb52
Mouseketeer

Travelax Euro card

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post

I too have been watching the rates and we don't leave for three weeks. I had already investigated the prepaid Euro card from Travelex the last time I was at the airport and just today talked to friends that used one last month. They recommended it. I forgot to ask them and maybe you know-do you have to have cash to buy it? I have a gift card from my travel agent and does anyone know if I can use that to convert to the travelex preloaded Euro card? Do I need to have cash to buy it or will my debit card or credit card work? I am leaving for a short trip to California and thought I get the Euros at the airport as I arrive back home so I have them for Europe in three weeks. I have quit watching the exchange rate and have told myself it hasn't varied that much over the last month. Sure wish I bought some last year when I was on my IrelandABD-rate was really good then.
jjb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb52 View Post
I too have been watching the rates and we don't leave for three weeks. I had already investigated the prepaid Euro card from Travelex the last time I was at the airport and just today talked to friends that used one last month. They recommended it. I forgot to ask them and maybe you know-do you have to have cash to buy it? I have a gift card from my travel agent and does anyone know if I can use that to convert to the travelex preloaded Euro card? Do I need to have cash to buy it or will my debit card or credit card work? I am leaving for a short trip to California and thought I get the Euros at the airport as I arrive back home so I have them for Europe in three weeks. I have quit watching the exchange rate and have told myself it hasn't varied that much over the last month. Sure wish I bought some last year when I was on my IrelandABD-rate was really good then.
I'm not sure about the pre-loaded Euro card, but I know that if I would have used my credit card to purchase euros, it would have been considered a cash advance, with all the fees & higher interest rates that entails. I've also heard multiple times that the places at the airports have *THE* worst rates. You'd do much better to go to your bank, or AAA if you belong.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
jjb52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I'm not sure about the pre-loaded Euro card, but I know that if I would have used my credit card to purchase euros, it would have been considered a cash advance, with all the fees & higher interest rates that entails. I've also heard multiple times that the places at the airports have *THE* worst rates. You'd do much better to go to your bank, or AAA if you belong.

Sayhello
My bank has fees-$20 and shipping-$12.95 and I do not belong to AAA. Does anyone know if the Traxelex places at the airport have fees? They don't online according to their website:

"Travelex is committed to offering you the best price, commission-free, foreign currency in the United States - or we will refund the difference."

Thanks
jjb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
justaman
Earning My Ears

May I have some more, fees?

We came back from ABD Germany last month and handled things this way - before leaving we purchased some Euros from our local bank branch. It probably wasn't the best fx rate but it was convenient. Since we are shelling out major bucks for the tour we were not going to worry about a few Euros difference by shopping around.
We used the ATM in Germany to change some more money. It was easy and convenient and the bank offers you a reasonable rate. Everyone will charge you fees one way or another. We used a credit card (and pay an annual fee) that does not charge doing the fx per transaction for our larger purchases.
On a previous trip we used the American Express card which charged between 2 and 3% per transaction to do the fx. (which I knew about ahead of time)
Stopping off in London we used Travelex at the airport since we only had one night. Their offer was to waive the commission if you return to Travelex and convert the money (pounds in my case) back to your original currency (euro in this case).
Enjoy your trip!
justaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Money tips from Rick Steves

Don't get Euros or Pounds in the US, wait until you arrive and use your ATM card. For more tips see:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
Don't get Euros or Pounds in the US, wait until you arrive and use your ATM card. For more tips see:

-Paul
Some people prefer to show up in a foreign country with some of the local currency, and are willing to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind that gives them. If the ATM is down, or you have an issue with your card, you could be in big trouble.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

transfer fro

Quote:

-Paul
It is my personal experience that you should have some currency for the country you are visiting before you go, On my last ABD I arrived two days early and my car from the airport to the hotel never showed so I had to take a cab, I had some euros but wanted a few more as I didn't know what the cab ride would cost and I couldn't find an ATM in the airport, I would have had a hard time if I didn't have the Euros with me. I am not saying to get a lot but having some is a good idea.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:

-Paul
Lots of great information in the link. Thanks for posting.
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Marilee! I didn't realize you and Dino were doing this trip! I'm so excited for y'all. This trip is one of the ones on our (long) list for consideration next year. I can't wait to hear all about it. Have a super great awesome fantastic magical time!

PS: When we did Knights and Lights I order a couple hundred from our bank here and then used the ATMs in London and Paris and it worked out fine. I did the same thing you did, studied too hard for the test and ticked my brain off!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
OhioDisneyDavid
Earning My Ears

Euro Exchange

I have also been watching the rollercoaster markets and the Euro exchange. I will be heading to my DCL/ABD cruise add-on on 8/23.

I looked long and hard at the Travelex travel card because of the features that have been listed including PIN debit vs. signature debit, local currency and Visa convienence. The exchange rate that I was seeing for this card was less favorable than what I could get at my local bank.

Ultimately what I did was to use a combo of what was stated on several of the last posts. I got E210 from my local bank for roughly $300 so that I would have local currency when I arrive in Barcelona. This should get me set for some tips and street corner meals on the first day or two. When I need more cash I will go to my hotel area ATM (6 within a block) to get more with my bank ATM card, not at the airport. My purchases and nicer meals will be completed by using my Capital One credit card with no foreign exchange rates.

There are many options but I was most comfortable with my choice so that I don't get caught with too little or too much in the Euros. I can still make the travel purchases and use the Capital One. (Don't forget to call them and tell them you are making purchases outside the USA. Otherwise they will flag and likely deny them.)

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by OhioDisneyDavid; 08-15-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: edit content
OhioDisneyDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
corky441

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenogoddess View Post
Marilee! I didn't realize you and Dino were doing this trip! I'm so excited for y'all. This trip is one of the ones on our (long) list for consideration next year. I can't wait to hear all about it. Have a super great awesome fantastic magical time!

PS: When we did Knights and Lights I order a couple hundred from our bank here and then used the ATMs in London and Paris and it worked out fine. I did the same thing you did, studied too hard for the test and ticked my brain off!
Hi Lauren
We are getting so excited as the trip gets closer and closer every day. I promise to do a trip report when we get back.
Of course I can't begin to attain your level with scrapbook pages, but I will make sure to include lots of pictures

Im really anxious to see the dates and rates for next year's trips.
Greece is at the top of my list for sure

Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
corky441

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDisneyDavid View Post
I have also been watching the rollercoaster markets and the Euro exchange. I will be heading to my DCL/ABD cruise add-on on 8/23.

I looked long and hard at the Travelex travel card because of the features that have been listed including PIN debit vs. signature debit, local currency and Visa convienence. The exchange rate that I was seeing for this card was less favorable than what I could get at my local bank.

Ultimately what I did was to use a combo of what was stated on several of the last posts. I got E210 from my local bank for roughly $300 so that I would have local currency when I arrive in Barcelona. This should get me set for some tips and street corner meals on the first day or two. When I need more cash I will go to my hotel area ATM (6 within a block) to get more with my bank ATM card, not at the airport. My purchases and nicer meals will be
completed by using my Capital One credit card with no foreign exchange rates.
There are many options but I was most comfortable with my choice so that I
don't get caught with too little or too much in the Euros. I can still make the
travel purchases and use the Capital One. (Don't forget to call them and tell
them you are making purchases outside the USA. Otherwise they will flag and
likely deny them.)

Thanks,
Dave
I wish I had the Capital One c/c. That would make things easier. Since my cards will add the 3% foreign transaction fee to my purchases, I'm planning on using them only for a major purchase if one arises - like the leather jacket I'd like to pick up in Florence

I'm also pretending that the VAT is just an urban legend

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: