Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
Aussieprincess
Mouseketeer

Your top WDW tip

I have been cruising the Dis boards a lot lately... heaps! and there is just SO much to take in! I was wondering if it would be possible for anyone reading who has some WDW experience to share with us your number 1 tip for our holiday?
Whether its a souvenir we can't miss, or a little known treasure somewhere, or a way of getting around a horrible experience...
We are staying at POFQ for 10 nights, and have MYW park hopper and deluxe dining.

Any help/hints/tips would be AMAZING!!!
Planning a 'Proper' trip to DLR for 2014
Aussieprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
travellingpineapple
Earning My Ears

the main tip i have to say is take everything in at YOUR pace..dont be afraid you won't see everything, you need to relax and take the amazing, beautiful, and magical sights in at a leisurely pace. Stop and smell the roses to say haha, explore the little beauties like the hotels and the lesser seen areas
travellingpineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
StitchSpawn
Florida Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingpineapple View Post
the main tip i have to say is take everything in at YOUR pace..dont be afraid you won't see everything, you need to relax and take the amazing, beautiful, and magical sights in at a leisurely pace. Stop and smell the roses to say haha, explore the little beauties like the hotels and the lesser seen areas
agreed

Orleans is a beautiful hotel. It's my favorite actually...

I would suggest when in Epcot, try to gt there at RD and get Soarin and Test Track FP's, but head over to World Showcase, right at 11am or when it opens. While it is very pretty at night, it's also busier in the afternoon. So, I would do the headlines in Epcot until World Showcase opens and a hang out there for lunch, then go back over to Futureworld in the afternoon.

Ride the Riverboat in MK. If you were able to come back sooner, I'd say skip it, but since you won't probably, it is a wonderful experience, with great views of MK.

Have fun at MNSSHP

And the I LOVE MK gift shops on Main Street. Main Street doesn't actually close unitl 45minutes after the park officially closes and that is the best time to go shopping there!
The HS gift shops are pretty nifty too I think.
StitchSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

take the boat from por to dtd.
go to por riverside and have a drink while watching bob jackson perform.

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
deakam
DIS Veteran

10 nights----you should be able to do everything---twice--but don't---like everyone else has said---go slow and look around. Enjoy everything. Interact with CMs and other guests. My number one tip on disney vacations is to always remember that you are on vacation, relax and have fun. And make sure you stop by the living seas in Epcot and visit with the manatees...they are magnificent.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
thestevied
DIS Veteran

I would say when you are at epcot do not miss the small coca cola shop, where you can also drink free coke. You get many samples from around the world. Some are pretty nasty but most are good. Plus its a small air conditioned shop, so when its really hot its nice to just get inside and cool off for a bit.
1st trip - July 1989 WDW, 2nd trip - Aug1993 WDW, 3rd trip - July 1997 Tokyo Disneyland, 4th trip - June 1999 WDW, 5th trip - Sept 2002 WDW, 6th trip - Sept 2003 WDW, 7th trip - Feb 2004 Euro Disney, 8th trip - Jan 2005 WDW, 9th trip - June 2005 WDW, 10th trip - Sept 2006 WDW, 11th trip - Sept 2007 WDW, 12th trip - Oct 2008 Disneyland, 13th trip - Sept 2009 WDW, 14th trip - Sept 2010 WDW AKL, 15th trip September 2011 - Dolphin resort, 16th trip - September 2013, Yacht Club, 17th trip - September 2014, Dolphin Resort

thestevied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 AM   #7
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

^ The israel one is pretty good.

You should always drink or eat - never starve yourself. It is not good for the blood sugar, nor is drinking too much water and not eating enough - can cause a severe electrolyte imbalance if you dont get some sugar, salt and other essential minerals.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Lisa D
DIS Veteran

Try to make the rope drop. It will allow you to see the headliners (or Fast Pass them) with little waiting, which will allow you to do everything else in a leisurely fashion.

Also take a break during the afternoon, especially if the weather is hot. Relax and return to the parks for dinner.
BWV 1998
BWV 1999
BWV 2001
BWV 2002
BWV/Disney Wonder 2003
BWV/Disney Wonder 2005
Disney Magic 2006
BWV/Hard Rock Hotel 2007
BWV 2008
Lisa D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
Aussieprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam View Post
10 nights----you should be able to do everything---twice--but don't---like everyone else has said---go slow and look around. .
We are also going to Seaworld, discovery cove, Universal and IOA! Alot to fit in! So excited though!
Planning a 'Proper' trip to DLR for 2014
Aussieprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
parrothead365
I'd rather have a kiss than a smoke
Dr. Said I have evil toes!
I like laundry as much as Tabasco enimas
I just hope I end up with the licking end of the dog under my nose

Go left. Most people will go to the right when entering the parks. So look to the left and the lines may be shorter. At MK jump on the train and go to the back of the park and work your way to the front.

"Phins to left...Phins to the right"

I'm an analog guy in a digital world

Proud Dad of a Shotokan Black Belt

We should all remember that the Freedom we ALL enjoy was NOT FREE....Thank a Veteran today!
parrothead365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingpineapple View Post
I second this opinion. You will never see everything, so decide what are the "must do's" and don't stress over getting everything done.

WDW is gorgeous, really take the time to look at all the wonderful details. One thing that always is magical to me is "Wishes" the fireworks show at Magic Kingdom. I can't wait to see it again.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

My advice is to plan....and I don't mean an hour-by-hour itinerary.

Make an overview itinerary of which park(s) you want to hit each day and plan your dining accordingly. It is super important for you to make your ADRs at 180 days out, especially because you are on DxDP.

That being said, it is okay to be spontaneous and change your so-called plan, just have those ADRs so you are able to enjoy all that DxDP offers.

Additionally, try to make rope drop as many days as possible and take advantage of the Fastpass system. I also recommend going back to your hotel to swim/nap each afternoon. We do that and we don't even have any kids! lol (We always feel bad for the people trudging around the park at 6pm, who have obviously been there since rope drop. When we see how miserable/hot/tired they look, we are grateful for our showers and changes of clothes. )

Also (as corny as it sounds) I would read a couple books about WDW... A book like "The Hidden Magic of WDW" will give you a little bit of a behind-the-scenes look at D-World, and will kind of give you a "heads up" for all the little details that are often overlooked. Knowing what to look for will open your eyes and you will see more details than you ever imagined...you will be blown away, I promise!

Have fun! You're going to have an amazing trip!
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

One of my favorite times in the parks is actually after closing.... no rushing to get to a ride... you can just relax and stroll around enjoying the atmosphere...

The crowds are gone and many shops are still open...
I especially enjoy the world showcase in Epcot and the front of park streets in HS.

An extra bonus is that the lines for the buses are gone too... saves lots of wait time and is very pleasant... ( this a really, really good thing at MK where everyone leaves right after Wishes...)

Last trip we saw the MK opening ceremony and the castle "Kiss goodnight" on the same day without leaving the park.. LOL

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Atchley
"Bedsheets? Who invited that kid?"

Take a day off just to relax or swim at the resort. That's a lot of parks you are going to do. We are going 10 days next year and planning on taking two days off for the pools and various other activities.

May 30/June 8 2013-AKVJune 6/9 2012-CBRJune 9/16 2012-VWLSept 4/11 2010-BLTSept 3/8 2009-PORJuly 17/25 2009-WLJuly 19/26 2008-WL July 15/22 2006-CBR July 20/26 2003-ASMo
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
Dr.Mickey
Mouseketeer

Here's a few of our personal favorites.

-If you need a break at the MK, take the boat launch to the Polynesian/Grand Floridian. This boat is an open air, historic (looking) boat that seats about 20 at the most. It is a much nicer ride than the Friendship boats around Epcot. The breeze is spectacular, and it is quite pleasant to just ride around the lake. Plus, there are plenty of nice drinks (if that's your thing) at the Poly.

-At counter service restaurants, eat lunch at 11:30 to 11:45 and eat dinner at 5:00 to 5:15. MUCH smaller crowds.

-Don't push it. I'm sure the Tour Guide folks would disagree, but here is our take on this. When I think about missing a few attractions, I realize that our vacation is much more likely to be ruined by tired, cranky kids and adults who ran ragged to get to one more ride. We each make a list of a few major rides that we will sell our souls to ride. After that, everything else is a bonus.

Tags
hints, magic, tips, tricks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: