Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
CaptiveJustin
"If you can dream it, you can do it." "Don't forget, it all started with a dream, and a mouse." -Walt Disney

Talking When will the "Interactive" Mickey Mouse be in Appearance at WDW?

Hello My Disney Friends,

Has anybody heard of the "Interactive" Mickey Mouse? If you search: "Talking Mickey Mouse" on YouTube, you will find an actual real-life Mickey Mouse character talking, blinking, etc. It was in a beta test a few months back at Disneyland. Currently, we have the "Interactive" Mickey Mouse at "Dream Along With Mickey" at WDW, but not in appearance. Does anybody know when we will get the "Interactive" Mickey Mouse in appearance to be able to meet at Disney World? I have heard that the previous beta test at Disneyland was complete, should it be at WDW soon? I will be going on vacation to WDW during the first week of August and was hoping that I'd be able to meet the "Interactive" version of the Mickey Mouse character in person, because that would be really amazing! Any help would be greatly- appreciated!
-Thanks in advance!
(Your Pal) Justin
Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
MissMouseInTheHouse
Devoted to Disney

That would be so cool to meet a talking Mickey, although I do love the silent, masked Mickey I first met!

Yo ho, yo ho, a Pirate's Life for me!
Wishing for some Pixie Dust!
MissMouseInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

The video was awesome. I too thought this was something Disney would be rolling out fairly soon. Maybe there was a hitch in the beta test? If anyone knows the info would be much appreciated.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to mention that the Mickey in "Dream Along With Mickey" and "Magic Kingdom Welcome" is "Lip Synching Mickey" and not "Talking Mickey".

I haven't seen any info on when "Talking Mickey" might appear at WDW.
WEDWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
StitchSpawn
Florida Mouseketeer

I've heard if the interactive talking Mickey, but I don't know that Disney has any plans super soon to introduce him into our park. I wouldn't expect it anyways and when he does arrive, it won't be anounced until after he's there. He will probably only be there on occasion possibly too because I bet it's expensive to run that suit and pay someone to work it, take care of it. And if there are any bugs...."Hey there, kkkkkiiiiidddddooooooo........::dies out::."
Wouldn't that be upsetting for Mickey to DIE right in front of you,
StitchSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
CampbellScot
DIS Veteran

I hope interactive Donald will be next!!!

CampbellScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
StitchSpawn
Florida Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellScot View Post
I hope interactive Donald will be next!!!

Ya, Donald would be pretty cool.
StitchSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

The article HERE shows that Disney has been working on this technology since as at least 1994.

Many have said that the biggest obstacle keeping it from appearing in the parks regularly is finding a way to quiet the motors and servos.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
ben1993
DIS Veteran

I really love this innovation too, I can see it being a regular thing within the next 5 years. I'm surprised Tokyo Disney hasn't snatched it up already actually.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Florida Dreamin'
Mouseketeer

It looks cool and it's such a great idea, but when I watched the video it just looked so awkward. Looks almost as if Mickey was shy or something along those lines.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

250+ WDW Day Trips | 5 Disney Cruises | Disney Dream & Fantasy Pre- Inaugural
Florida Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
The article HERE shows that Disney has been working on this technology since as at least 1994.

Many have said that the biggest obstacle keeping it from appearing in the parks regularly is finding a way to quiet the motors and servos.
I would think that the biggest obstacle would be that once Mickey can talk, how do you explain why no one else can?

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I would think that the biggest obstacle would be that once Mickey can talk, how do you explain why no one else can?

Assuming you mean "explain to children", the same way parents have been doing it for years with the "non-face" characters.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

I agree with you this is one potential problem. The line between fuzz and face just got fuzzier (or is that facier?).

I assume also that a second, um, "helper" CM would have to be employed in the shadows to make this work.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
Assuming you mean "explain to children", the same way parents have been doing it for years with the "non-face" characters.
But it's different. When NOBODY (as in "non-face characters") talks, then you can do the generic comment about "they don't know all the languages of the world, so they use sign language" or "they're saving their voices for the show" or whatever. But when ONE character talks, and no one else does, then it's a different thing. Mickey still doesn't know all the languages of the world and only speaks in English, so why can't the other characters do that too? Mickey's in more shows than anyone else but he's talking, so why can't Minnie? Etc.

I would imagine that is one of the things that is being discussed in the "how and when do we roll this out" conversations.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But it's different. When NOBODY (as in "non-face characters") talks, then you can do the generic comment about "they don't know all the languages of the world, so they use sign language" or "they're saving their voices for the show" or whatever. But when ONE character talks, and no one else does, then it's a different thing. Mickey still doesn't know all the languages of the world and only speaks in English, so why can't the other characters do that too? Mickey's in more shows than anyone else but he's talking, so why can't Minnie? Etc.

I would imagine that is one of the things that is being discussed in the "how and when do we roll this out" conversations.

But you usually don't have to explain WHY characters talk. You just have to explain why they don't. Just because Minnie is "saving her voice/has laryngitis/etc" doesn't mean (talking) Mickey has the same problem.

Tags
character meetings, characters, magic kingdom, mickey mouse, walt disney world

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: