Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #316
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post

Thanks for your reply. I love replies.
I do too! Sometimes it gets quiet on here and we feel like we are talking to ourselves.

I remember reading your journal way back when. You've made alot of progress and continue building on that progress. Excellent work! You should be proud!
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #317
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well did minor damage with the Hallowe'en candy. Back to regular life now - must resist! Off to hot yoga shortly. I am enjoying my hot yoga cross-training - so much easier to get in than biking. I am enjoying feeling a little sore in the upper body and abs (just where I need it).

Feeling some very minor plantar fascitis in my left foot. Have had it before, and much, much worse. Knee is feeling better each day. I almost have shaken the cold completely - it has been almost a month! It stayed in my lungs, at the bases, for two weeks now. Each day I cough less and have less mucus. Everyone I know has had the cold and it is so resilient sticking around in everybody's chest.

Tomorrow is a quick run and then hot yoga Saturday, and then EEK! Sunday!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #318
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
SuperHappyFunTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #319
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHappyFunTimes View Post
Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Thank you - slowly on the mend!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #320
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I did it!

Second half-marathon in the bag! I did really well: 9.5 minutes off my time from three weeks ago.

I felt a lot of apprehension doing this race, perhaps because I knew what to expect and how hard it is. My knee was feeling tons better, like 90-95% better and it was PURE JOY to run without my stride being all messed up and to just run and not constantly think about my knee.

It was near freezing this morning, and indeed snow was falling as we left. None accumulated on the ground, but there it was! Overcast, windy and cold.

DH drove me up and we got there in good time. Parking was in a field adjacent to the club house (it was on a posh gold club - I ran a 5 miler at this golf course in the summer). It was a good walk in. Managed to get to the bathroom a few times before we started. I got to the start line with one of the pacers from my running group and we were off. But, oops! I forgot to set intervals on my watch. Too late.

The first part of the course was through a residential neighbourhood. That went well, and DH met me at about 4.5k and ran with me for 100 meters or so. That was really great.

I decided to forgo intervals and only walked through water stations which were every 3k. I kept this up until about 12k and then added a few one-minute of stretches of walking throughout the rest of the course, but overall pretty much stuck to the 3k, which is about a 22:1 ratio.

The course is considered fair to advanced as it is hilly. Quite remote and not much in the way of crowds cheering people on. There were only runners and the water table folks. The route was rolling country hills.

DH drove up to a corner of the route and saw me at 17k. He said I looked really strong. Good thing, as the hilliest section was still to come. I got major cramps in this hills in my calves. Like almost full charleyhorse cramps. Walking didn't help, so I took a salt tablet and kept running.

Finally saw the sign for 19k and knew I was going to finish close to my hopeful time. The last km was a slog, but I got through and was DONE! My official time was 2:47:31. My first HM was 2:56:56 so a nice improvement!

I felt pretty good after I was done - tired, oh so tired, but good. I took one gel and one pack of Honey Stingers, and two salt/electrolyte tablets. I was still pretty salty after this run, even with the cold weather, and my hands got a bit swollen on this run. I'm getting to know myself well, and can start to diagnose what is going on with me. Nausea? Need calories. Headache? Need water. Muscle cramps, feeling foggy, swelling hands? Ned electrolytes.

My knee held up pretty well. Uncomfortable at times, but nothing more than mildly painful in some moments. Sitting here now they are stiff and a bit sore. The first few steps I take after sitting down make me look elderly!

I felt like I did good on the fluids on this race. Took a small cup at each of the 6 water stations. Didn't have to use the porta potties, but didn't feel dehydrated. Able to pee within 90 minutes of the race and it was light. Sorry if TMI but could be useful to someone...

Saw a few friends in the clubhouse and then partook of the buffet lunch which was nice. They had bananas and water, but also make-your-own sandwiches with nice filling, tropical fruit, salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, and sweets. I treated myself to a Coke. Yum.

It was a cold walk to the car. My sweaty bits were so cold! The walk was an uphill hike and I whinged loudly to DH the whole way and gave him a running commentary of what was aching at any particular time. I'm not sure why I felt it necessary, but it helped me to verbalize

My car has lovely heated seats which I fell in love with on the way home all over again. Got home and headed straight into a hot bath. I've been lounging around all afternoon since. My DH did a great job of sherpa-ing my things during the race, and taking care of me afterwards.

#2 done and won!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #321
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Congrats on your awesome PR! Sounds like a great race!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #322
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Great job! Keep rockin it'! Sounds like you may be PR'ing a few consecutive races as you gain confidence with each one.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #323
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Thank you!

Last edited by Terapin; 11-05-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #324
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Awesome job!!! Sounds like you found your groove.
SuperHappyFunTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #325
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Since Sunday's HM I have done a quick 3k run with my LTR group, and I am going to hot yoga tonight. I had some pretty good muscle tenderness in my medial quad (felt like someone kicked me there!) and feeling better today. I should run today but my yoga month pass runs out tomorrow and I cannot go to yoga tomorrow. So tonight I go to yoga, and if I can, a quick run tomorrow late after work or early morning.

Today my shoes arrived!!! I'm not sure if I mentioned but after my first HM I found out that I won a contest that I had entered through the virtual race bag!
I won 4 pairs of Skechers shoes! I got to pick one pair from their website, and they sent me a pair of GoRun, GoRunRide, and GoBionics! I asked that they send me purple, black, or pink shoes and I got my request! I have size 11.5 feet (so big!) so I was worried that they wouldn't fit, but the size 11s they sent (their largest size) fit really well!

Here are the pics of my contest spoilings:

The GoRuns:

The shoes I picked for work:

The GoBionics:

The GoRunRides:

Winning shoes is a funny prize for me because my whole life I have avoided shoes because they rarely fit, and it is frustrating for me to find women's shoes that fit. Sometimes I buy men's but it isn't good for the ego. So as a teenager I started wearing Doc Martens, and then Birkenstocks, now flip flops and sandals, and mostly men's running shoes. But getting gifted *4* pairs of shoes practically doubles my shoe wardrobe and it is so fun! Going to put 2 pairs away for later, and wear the black workshoes and tan Bionics as regular out and about shoes now.

I don't think I am going to start running in any of these shoes right now as I don't want to condition my feet this close to marathon weekend to new shoes. Ironically I also have a pair of super expensive Bioms I got on a great sale that I haven't started with, either, and a very gently pair of Newtons that are only about 5% worn out.

I guess I am good for shoes, other than my foundation shoes that I use as my long run shoes which I will stick with! I usually run with Saucony Guides - they have held up super well for me (250miles and counting!) Only mild wear and tear present, but I am cycling them out with an identical new pair to break in for my marathon weekend races.

Anyhow, yay for winning a contest! Such purty shoes! And so light!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #326
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

I ran in a short time with Skechers GoRun and still wear them all the time just around town. I couldn't continue running in them though because I had an achilles injury and they seemed to aggravate it. I started running in Newtons while I was nursing the achilles injury and fell in love with them. Now, I won't run in anything else!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #327
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

Spent a good 60-70 minutes this morning working out my running schedule through to a March HM. Got the good news that I am pacing a HM clinic starting next week. I am the designated back-of-the-packer! I'm excited because:

1) I don't have to pay to take the course again (I was going to sign up again)
2) I get a nice coupon for the store.
3) One of my running friends H signed up for her first HM clinic
4) The instructor is super awesome and coaches for Team in Training and people say great things about her
5) It will force me to stay on my pacing!

I am still pacing the Learn to Run group for another 3 weeks - making my schedule very complicated AND trying to hybridize the HM group schedule into one I can use to get as ready as I can for the WDW Full. Whew.

I consulted the Jeff Galloway Goofy Training schedule and the Marathon for Mortals guide, as well as the Running Room schedule to make a hybrid.

I will only get up to 20 miles in my schedule, and only have 3 runs longer than 13 miles, but I don't think I can raise the mileage much more without risking injury, again.

Going to also commit to cross training twice a week, with 2 medium runs, one hill/speed work day, and one long slow run a week. Mondays are my new rest day.

I am getting tired looking at my schedule and those long runs are really scaring the crap out of me.

My old coach recommended getting out for 5-6 hours hiking and running on the trail at least once. I am on call for one of my scheduled long runs so might choose to do that run that way so I can stay closer to my car in case of being called out. He suggested I have 2 or so friends meet me for various parts of the run to keep it fresh and to keep myself going. Big inhale of breath.

Anyhow, glad to have it worked out. Happy to be joining the clinic as a pacer.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #328
Terapin
DIS Veteran

30 minutes cardio done as my cross training today.

My admin called and asked what I wanted on the lunch order. Instead of green curry on rice or noodles and veg I opted for a much lower carb and fat lunch of:
-green mango salad
-lemongrass soup
-fresh rolls with tofu and peanut sauce

For breakfast I had two lattes at home, plus 3 eggs and green salsa.

Recommitting to day to weight loss and my new schedule. Have rested well from my HM 5 days ago (one short run so far) and starting this weekend I am ramping back up again to the push for WDW Marathon weekend. Woo hoo!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #329
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I did get in some good running this weekend but it was not pretty. I forgot that I needed to meet my LTR group on Sunday, but also needed to do a long run. I was up in the night Friday all night, so Saturday I was bagged.

Sunday I did 3.5k with the LTR group in the morning, and then headed up for a longer run with my sister. We planned to do 14k. We met my friend H after 4k, and with it being an out and back along the waterfront, she would do 6k with us. It was a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. Unfortunately I started to get very sore around 9k. It was awful! Like everything hurt from my toes, to my feet, to my arches, to my calves, to my quads, all the way to my shoulders! I walked for a couple of minutes, but that kinda sucked too. Dropped H back at her car and tried to walk it out. Did some shorter intervals and bagged out at 13k. Was disappointed but I hurt like nothing else.

?new shoes
?two runs in one day
?old age
?sleep deprivation of three nights up in the last 6 prior
?late in the day

I dunno, but it was a sucky run.

Went out Monday for a quick run with the LTR and was fine. Just 2.5k. Tonight I have 3k with them, and heading to hot yoga in a few minutes for my CT. Tomorrow is 3k with my HM group so at a more challenging pace, and Saturday is 16k, Sunday is 7k.

I'm a few pounds heavier than my nadir. Shoot. Working on it and eating well. I don't know why. Had lots of salty foods yesterday which may account for some of it.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #330
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Mornin'! Had a good run last night with the first class of the HM group. I was introduced as the pacer and I could see some folks from my last class where I was a participant going, "Huh, Pacer? Slow girl? What the..." You volunteer and you will be picked! There is a very nice store discount that comes with the pacing, and also that the class is free! I stuck to the back of the pack and we did a 4k steady (so about 30 minutes just running, no intervals). I don't love the no intervals.

I also forgot my Ventolin. I think I may have forgotten to ever mention that I am an asthmatic/chronic bronchitis. I take mostly Ventolin and also another med. I have been asthmatic since I was a baby. I could switch to other meds but I am very psychologically dependant on Ventolin as it really is the only thing that gives me near-instant relief. I cannot stand to be tight in the chest or wheezy as I have had some very traumatic asthma attacks where even Ventolin didn't work and those are scary crazy. I've actually collapsed from an asthma attack, but luckily I was in the ER. Since I stopped smoking 15 years ago (um, DUH!!!! ) it has been much better. Cold air is a trigger, as is coming in from the cold to a warm room, dust, pet dander, strong smells, and sometimes exercise. As a child I was tested for cystic fibrosis twice as it was pretty severe. Getting older has really improved my asthma and I don't react nearly as strongly to allergens.

During running I often get a bit short of breath within the first kilometer and have to do a lot of coughing as my lungs get cleaned out. I usually use my inhaler 1-2 times during a run, but it is usually just very mild chest tightness that starts be feeling a bit panicky so I give in and use my Ventolin to avoid it getting worse.

Last night I forgot my Ventolin and it was cold out. Much of the run I was tight-chested, and coming into the warm store afterwards I was downright wheezy. After a few minutes it subsided however, and I was fine.

I am waiting to get called to a birth as the second midwife. I wanted to go to yoga this morning (kinda) but now I am just waiting by my pager. The kids are home on a PA day and my mom is coming over later to fetch them to hang out with her. The house is a royal mess - oh well.

A new Running Room store is opening to the east of me and they are having a 5k run on November 28. It even comes with a medal - so I signed up for that! I signed up for a Santa Shuffle 5k with my LTR group. This is their graduation run. It is December 1st. These will be races 14 & 15 for 2012 I believe and medals 12 & 13! I bought a shadowbox to display them all in once I do that last run.

I also signed up for my first race of 2013 - the Chilli Half Marathon in March. Comes with a nice jacket!

Happy to be signed up for these new events!

My 5 year-old asked me to post these:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: