Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #256
sillylily
DIS Veteran

Just wandered over and found your journal, and read the whole thing in one sitting! You're doing an amazing job! I'm a relatively new runner, and your journal is just inspiring!

sillylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #257
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Thank you SillyLily! It is really nice to have someone post, too!

I tried stand-up paddleboarding for the first time last week on Thursday! It was super fun. I didn't fall into the water, so that is a good thing! Quite wobbly at times but I made it through! It was such a good workout for my legs - they were burning when I was done. Lots of little accessory muscles at work trying to keep balance.

I have had such a busy birth work week. Lots and lots of Mamas birthing. I managed to get in my scheduled 4k run yesterday after a few hours sleep after being up all night Friday through Saturday. I ran pretty slow, and walked the last km just because I wanted to go easy. I had been on my feet about 26 hours straight before I got some sleep, so my legs were a bit weary. Brisk walking was a nice treat.

This morning I am up nice and early for my running class run of 14k. I have never run this far! I am a bit nervous. Last week was 12k. I'm going to take it nice and easy and see what I can do. It is cool so far (16c/61f) but it will warm up. Just having a coffee. Had a breakfast of oatmeal and applesauce.

Not sure about the KT tape. I find the hill training very hard on my knees. Not sure if it helped or made it worse. Will use today for my long run and see how I feel later.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #258
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Update: 14k dooooooooooone! Knees feel much more comfortable! Having steak for dinner (yay!) then out to do 3 visits.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #259
Terapin
DIS Veteran

So happy! Hit 210 this morning which means that I have lost 60#! It has taken exactly 60 weeks. I'm feeling super good. I'd like to get down to about 185, so 25 more to go. Perhaps 175, but I think I will stop trying to lose weight at 185 and just see where my body goes.

Here are my updated measurements with loss from 8 weeks ago:
Waist: 37.0 (down 1")
Hips: 44.5 (down .5" and I don't carry much weight here so don't expect to see much more coming off here)
bust: 46.0 (down 1.5" - yay for regular size bras now!)

Total loss: 3" in 2 months. Total loss in 8 months: 20"!!!!

Today is a rest day - yay! Got some core in after my run. Will do upper body and more core today. Happy to rest my legs though: a little stiff and sore after my long run. I hope that as I up the mileage that doesn't get worse: as of yet I don't feel any worse after longer and longer runs. Suffice to say I am stiff enough to walk down stairs needing the handrail but it isn't over the top. I could walk down without the handrail, but I feel more comfortable with it. I kinda feel like you feel when you have been in bed sick for a few days: a little sore and a little stiff.

My knees are definitely better with the KT tape for my long runs. I think that it doesn't work for the hill training though.

Any way, happy to post a happy result!

Taking the kids to see Timothy Green with my sister and her kids. Debating popcorn or no popcorn. LOL

Copied this from another post I made because I thought it would be good for my journal:
My 14k run went well. I didn't have enough water so I needed to stop off for some water at a convenience store . I am a slow runner: it took me 2 hours in total, but it was a LSD and my longest run ever, so I am just happy I finished and felt good afterwards. I usually do my LSD at about 8:00/km but this was slow even for me. It was not a flat route, and there was a monster hill that I walked briskly. Mostly I did 10:1s but did take a few longer walk breaks to fuel up as I don't like running and eating goo. I want to run comfortable, not all dripping with goo and with my mouth all sugary.

I used about half a pack of Honey Stingers gel candy thingies, one PowerBar gel, and a Nuun tablet in my water. I had three running water bottles - I needed a fourth. So I stopped at the c-store and bought a vitamin water as a treat with only 3k left to go. Was gooooooood and cold. I think that I need to get some salt tablets for these longer runs, after I do some research, although everything that I ate/drank had sodium in it. My shirt and face and grossly, my running shorts, were all encrusted with salt stains when I was done. HOTNESS! I think I did a good job of the fuelling and hydration in the end because I had a decent pee when I got home that was light (TMI?) and felt pretty good. I am recognizing the signs of being in need of fuel on a run: a little foggy brained, and my muscles feel heavy, and I feel weary. Luckily I have had no stomach upset at all so far, except a wee bit after chugging some of that vitamin water crap.

I think I need a hydration pack as the kilometers creep up. More than 3 of those little water bottles feels clunky and heavy around my waist. Yay! More money spent on running gear! Ack!

Last edited by Terapin; 08-20-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #260
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

I just finished your whole journal and you are an inspiration! Can't wait to read more Carolynn! You rock!

Me (25)DF (33) *DF's Kids*:DSS12DSD11DSD10 DSS6
Met on the DIS, and going strong
Our Planning Journal

May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip
lyncecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #261
born2bird
Mouseketeer

Hello!

I read through your entire thread and wanted to congratulate you on your amazing progress. You truly are inspiring and I am so impressed by your determination. I know you will meet your Goofy goal in January. How can you not with all the hardwork you are putting in now? I will be doing the 1/2 marathon in Disney too with the goal of finishing and not dropping dead. I will be cheering for all of the full marathoners from the sidelines on Sunday. I am a novice runner and have only done 5Ks thus far. My first was in February--2 days post a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis--and I felt like a rockstar crossing the finish line. I am ramping up my training for the 1/2 marathon and am learning a lot reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your journey and all of the great running information.

Kim
born2bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #262
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncecelia View Post
I just finished your whole journal and you are an inspiration! Can't wait to read more Carolynn! You rock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bird View Post
Hello!

I read through your entire thread and wanted to congratulate you on your amazing progress. You truly are inspiring and I am so impressed by your determination. I know you will meet your Goofy goal in January. How can you not with all the hardwork you are putting in now? I will be doing the 1/2 marathon in Disney too with the goal of finishing and not dropping dead. I will be cheering for all of the full marathoners from the sidelines on Sunday. I am a novice runner and have only done 5Ks thus far. My first was in February--2 days post a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis--and I felt like a rockstar crossing the finish line. I am ramping up my training for the 1/2 marathon and am learning a lot reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your journey and all of the great running information.

Kim
Thanks gals! I appreciate the support, I really do.

Was happy with the rest day, and now I am feeling ready for the week! Today is a 4k tempo run and I need to do some core and upper body.

Tomorrow is 6 hills = 5k to and from the hill, and 6 reps of the 500m hill, up and down for a total of 11k. It is the hardest workout, man. 6 repeats is killer. Last two weeks I walked most of the 2.5k back to the Running Room store and I was FINE with that. LOL

Thursday is 6k of steady run.

Saturday is the Mud Hero 6k obstacle course mud run with a bunch of gals. Yay!

Sunday is 16k (gulp...) but I am scared because I won't be back in town to run it with my group. That is such a long run to do solo. How will I stay motivated?!?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #263
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

Had a great weekend! Didn't run Thursday as we decided to go camping/glamping a day early and the day was filled with packing, and then driving. I was proud of myself getting the kids all packed up myself, all the food, and then driving the RV 90 minutes away all by myself. It is a huge motorhome (41') and I had to back it out of our parking spot, and then get it parked and set up in our camping spot. All with three nattering kids chatting and fighting the whole time, as kids do!

Ran Friday instead, part trail and part road run. Wasn't my best run ever... I was able to preview some of the course for the mud run the next day. Got all excited. My sister joined me and we had a nice late campfire with us, and another friend and her family.

Saturday, we were excited to do the Mud Hero! It was a 6k obstacle/trail run/mud run. This is our before pic:

The race was a blast! So fun. We were all challenged physically, and it was a good workout. Didn't run all the running parts as it was a bit hilly and we were staying together and trying to have fun. We finished in a glacial 1:20:00.

I found the hoist-yourself-up-over-the-wall parts the toughest. I know that I need to improve my upper body strength now. Any of the scaling or climbing or slithering parts where I had to use both upper and lower were fine and I felt good and strong and capable, but the hoisting yourself up to chest level were hard for me. In one section there were three in a row and I did the first, and totally wrenched my left quad which was the pivot point as I brought myself up and over. It was a pretty bad pain. I skipped the other 2 and felt guilty about it, but I was super afraid that I had actually injured myself quite badly. It took about 10 minutes to settled down, and the next day I was quite sore. I think I made the right decision. After all, it wasn't as if there were zombies chasing me or anything! It wasn't against the rules to skip an obstacle, and I did the other 16 obstacles no problem.

I will post muddy pics when I get them from a friend. I didn't carry anything at all with me, so her DH took pics. I was muddy to my chin! We all vowed to do it again next year. We had named ourselves the Mother Muckers (sorry to anyone offended! (my 5 year old made me insert those!)

I was sore the next day (yesterday), especially in my abs and triceps. I had to go back on call at 11am so we got up early and packed up and raced back into town. I had to go straight to the hospital for a labouring gal and then another client paged in labour. I was at the hospital until 8pm, and then got paged by another client suffering a tragic late miscarriage. Needless to say, I didn't get my long run in.

Have some work to do this morning then planning to go out and do my 16k. So worried about my mental space running that long without my group. Eek.

That's my update. Weight is up a few pounds for reasons I don't understand (around 212-214 again), but I will work on it this week and keep trucking.

Have a great day!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #264
Terapin
DIS Veteran

More pics:

Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #265
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #266
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #267
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good evening!

Feeling good over here. Managed 22miles/35.5k this week. Yay!

Yesterday I went for my long slow run of 16k. EXCEPT that it started to rain. I though, ok, no problem. I don't mind a little rain. Then it really came down and I thought, I only have 6.5k left to go and I am on the way home. THEN it started to thunder and lightning overhead, and at that moment DH called and offered to pick me up. I ran the last .5k to make it 10k and gratefully climbed into the (dry) truck.

However, I was disappointed to not run the last 6k. I felt really good - like I could go on forever. I felt so strong and it was easy. Oh well.

Tonight I pushed myself and was happy to celebrate a negative split half of my 5k tempo run and I BEAT THE 35 MINUTE 5k mark!!!! My time was 34:57. I was so happy. I'm sure that for some fast runners that is so slow buy for me that was awesome and I am proud.

Weight is coming down a bit. Just seeing 211-212 these days. Want to see that 210 again, or below. It will come.

Anyway - happy with my tempo run tonight. I guess the hills are paying off. TOmorrow is 7k of hills with 5k warmup.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #268
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

Unfortunately I have missed two scheduled runs due to work. Going to make up one tonight. I missed Wednesday hills and my Thursday steady run. I will do the steady one tonight. 7k I believe. Tomorrow is another steady run and Sunday is 16k LSD.

Work has been crazy! I got called Wednesday morning and have basically been going since. I did sleep last night which was great! I had three clients birth within 20 hours, and had a full clinic day yesterday which saw me up at 6am and not home until 9pm last night. On 4 hours sleep and a very long day I just couldn't run. However I am well slept and eager to go tonight and all weekend.

My next race is a 5k in Yorkville, which is a boutique area of Toronto where there are fancy restaurants, high-end stores, and frequent celebrity sightings. The Toronto International Film Festival is also starting up around the same time, so it looks like fun and quite different from what I have done before. I am doing it with one of my dear client friends - she also did the Energizer Night Race with mr way back last September,ber. The medal looks amazing, and the Tshirt comes in a designer gym bag. I kinda signed up for the swag and the medal - LOL. The timing is nice because it is a year from my first 5k and I know I will do much better than the 48 minutes my first 5k took. Nice for a photo of the difference in me. It is Sept 9.

Then I am doing the Toronto Zoo Oasis 10k on Sept 14. I'm trying tonget my sister to sign up for this so she can get a better corral placement for the WDW half in January.

Then it is the Tower of Terror race 16k Sept 28!

Weight is sitting (ugh) at 212. Haven't been working on it too much this week other than to make smart food choices as I can. Not too much sugar, a little carbolicious this week, but good protein and fruits and veggies. My body doesn't not shed fat easily. Even with good kilometers on my feet and a busy lifestyle with good eating I struggle to shed weight. Oh well, gotta work with what you have! My body is pretty amazing in other ways so I gotta be grateful. Looking at some of the race photos I feel a little subconscious, especially of belly fat. I know I am working on it and have come far but I am judgmental of my own body. I hope to one day better appreciate the esthetics of my own body and face. I'm lucky to have a partner who thinks I am sexy and one of the best looking people around (ain't love grand?).

Well, my coffee is almost done and I have to get ready for another day of clinic and hose visits.

Hope you have a great day!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #269
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, I didn't do my run last night. I was sooooo tired. So I am going to extend my 5k scheduled run this morning and try to run back some of those lost kilometers. Work should ease up. Tomorrow is 16k.

Weight is up a bit - can't believe it is due to just 2 missed runs. I ate a lot of salty foods in the last few days and some pretty dense foods. Thought I was doing ok but apparently not. However, I am up to about 214 so it can't be just food - I didn't eat 6000 extra calories! I am mid-cycle, so maybe it is that, too. Anyways, will do my two long runs this weekend and re-weigh on Monday, and should see everything back down.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #270
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Got in 8.5k in the heat and humidity of a mid-day run! Now for a bath, some Breaking Bad S5 and a back-to-school trip to Costco.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: