Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,208
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
The survery form is in the packet with the travel agreement that you have to sign and send back within 14 days. There's also a personal information sheet, flight information sheet, and a release to allow Disney to use your image. I consider ABD asking your permission to send you the survery a courtesy rather than an inconvenience. If you're not interested in providing feedback then they won't bother you. I think it's also an effort to make sure they send the survey to the right email address. I know Disney marketing has 3 different emails addresses for me and I'm probably not the only one.
Precisely!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,819
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDad View Post
SH: I haven't yet. I honestly didn't save all my trip files from last year (this was last summer). I'm not clear if you're saying clients received an e-mail asking if you'll sign up for e-mail? Or you're saying there was a form in the mail to be returned (in which case I'm quite sure we didn't keep it). But if I've understood correctly, ABD will ask for client feedback in exchange for adding your name to their e-mail marketing list.

I don't know this needs to be as complicated as we're making it out to be. Most successful companies--regardless of the service or product--ask "how'd we do?" Really.

And other successful companies don't condition interest in their customers' opinions based on their agreeing to be part of their marketing or research solicitations. Other companies ask without any quid pro quo. If ABD really cannot separate the Disney marketing arm from e-mail follow up, then send a paper survey. Phone call. Tweet. Or any of the other ways ABD's competitors have long since figured it out. I'm surprised that so many folks are suggesting it's the customers fault when ABD doesn't express interest in the client's experience.

All I expected is that ABD would ask--without making up preconditions or jumping through hoops. Not because ABD thinks it might be able to get more money through future solicitations. But because you actually care. Just ask.
There are legal issues that you havent considered.

ABD asked for your permission.

You overlooked it or decided not to grant it.

They have fulfilled their end of the business deal.

If you wanted to correspond with ABD, you should have given them legal permission to contact you.

If you have information or thoughts you'd like to share, feel free to share them.

I know you will find this hard to believe, but without your permission, your personal information isnt stored for advertising purposes.

As you mention "shared impressions"...ask if anyone in your group received a customer satisfaction survey.

Or emailed ABD advertising.

I'm guessing you will find that they have recieved surveys provided the gave permission and that havent received advertising emails.
__________________
DisneyKevin is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
KidDad
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18

Kevin: I understand as the moderator, you have a vested interest in this. My intent wasn't to offend you, and it's clear you're taking this to heart. I understand it's easy to throw around the "L" word (ABD didn't have "legal permission"), but that's not correct and simply shortcuts an open exchange of views.

The fact is (and you should check your facts)--it isn't illegal for ABD to request customer feedback by e-mail without a signed release by a client. A customer can, of course, always opt out of receiving unwanted e-mail--that's a common practice, and you've probably seen those with other e-mails you receive. And the suggestion that "they fulfilled their end of the business deal" is exactly the point I'm making. Most travel companies take into account customer feedback because they view the client experience as "the business". I understand your point that receiving solicitations is the "price" of being able to express one's opinion to ABD. I simply don't agree that's how it should be even if, as you state, that's how it is. My view is that ABD should ask for feedback because it's important--both to creating a better experience and valuing their clients, not based on what else they can extract from you in return. I get that you feel differently and it's nothing personal. But it's not just "business" either.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
There are legal issues that you havent considered.

ABD asked for your permission.

You overlooked it or decided not to grant it.

They have fulfilled their end of the business deal.

If you wanted to correspond with ABD, you should have given them legal permission to contact you.

If you have information or thoughts you'd like to share, feel free to share them.

I know you will find this hard to believe, but without your permission, your personal information isnt stored for advertising purposes.

As you mention "shared impressions"...ask if anyone in your group received a customer satisfaction survey.

Or emailed ABD advertising.

I'm guessing you will find that they have recieved surveys provided the gave permission and that havent received advertising emails.
KidDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #19
Tozzie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDad View Post
Kevin: I understand as the moderator, you have a vested interest in this. My intent wasn't to offend you, and it's clear you're taking this to heart. I understand it's easy to throw around the "L" word (ABD didn't have "legal permission"), but that's not correct and simply shortcuts an open exchange of views.

The fact is (and you should check your facts)--it isn't illegal for ABD to request customer feedback by e-mail without a signed release by a client. A customer can, of course, always opt out of receiving unwanted e-mail--that's a common practice, and you've probably seen those with other e-mails you receive. And the suggestion that "they fulfilled their end of the business deal" is exactly the point I'm making. Most travel companies take into account customer feedback because they view the client experience as "the business". I understand your point that receiving solicitations is the "price" of being able to express one's opinion to ABD. I simply don't agree that's how it should be even if, as you state, that's how it is. My view is that ABD should ask for feedback because it's important--both to creating a better experience and valuing their clients, not based on what else they can extract from you in return. I get that you feel differently and it's nothing personal. But it's not just "business" either.

You are making a lot of assumptions and it is a bit irritating. I have gotten a survey for each of my 3 ABD trips, yes I allow them to contact me with the survey and they are not trying to extract anything from you I have never received anything along the lines of Marketing from ABD through that email address the only other thing I got was a reqiuest to take a survey last year about possible itineraries which I was happy to take. If it irks you that much, which apparently it does, send ABD a letter and see what thier response is, I am sure you will be quite surprised.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,208
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDad View Post
Kevin: I understand as the moderator, you have a vested interest in this. My intent wasn't to offend you, and it's clear you're taking this to heart. I understand it's easy to throw around the "L" word (ABD didn't have "legal permission"), but that's not correct and simply shortcuts an open exchange of views.

The fact is (and you should check your facts)--it isn't illegal for ABD to request customer feedback by e-mail without a signed release by a client. A customer can, of course, always opt out of receiving unwanted e-mail--that's a common practice, and you've probably seen those with other e-mails you receive. And the suggestion that "they fulfilled their end of the business deal" is exactly the point I'm making. Most travel companies take into account customer feedback because they view the client experience as "the business". I understand your point that receiving solicitations is the "price" of being able to express one's opinion to ABD. I simply don't agree that's how it should be even if, as you state, that's how it is. My view is that ABD should ask for feedback because it's important--both to creating a better experience and valuing their clients, not based on what else they can extract from you in return. I get that you feel differently and it's nothing personal. But it's not just "business" either.
I'd like to ask that you back off from the "I know you're a Moderator..." stuff. Kevin is speaking based on his extensive personal experience with ABD, as am I. It's fine if you want to express your opinion, but making assumptions about others' motivations, and mis-quoting them (Kevin never said it was illegal for them to contact you. He expressed that ABD's policy is to get your legal approval before contacting you) is getting argumentative. If you can't behave nicely, I'll be forced to close this thread, and I'd really rather not have to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
You are making a lot of assumptions and it is a bit irritating. I have gotten a survey for each of my 3 ABD trips, yes I allow them to contact me with the survey and they are not trying to extract anything from you I have never received anything along the lines of Marketing from ABD through that email address the only other thing I got was a reqiuest to take a survey last year about possible itineraries which I was happy to take. If it irks you that much, which apparently it does, send ABD a letter and see what thier response is, I am sure you will be quite surprised.
I have to agree with Tozzie hear, both about the irritating assumptions, and the fact that ABD is asking permission to contact you, which you did not give them. Therefore you weren't contacted. I hardly find that ABD's fault, or see how it reflects badly on ABD.

I have never gotten marketing from ABD on the email address I gave them for the survey, only on the one I gave them on their website, which I gave them *ASKING* for marketing info. I think you need to step back, realize the lack of communication is your own doing, and contact ABD yourself if you want to give them feedback.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #21
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 708

But wait!

Setting aside the issues relating to feedback (and it has always been my impression that Disney is very interested in feedback--we were stopped at California Adventure to participate in a consumer survey, and sure enough got one--after I signed a permission doc--by email a few days later; we were part of a group of consumers surveyed about the Baltic Cruise--met every day on ship with a Disney rep about that! And we have done many surveys for ABD)...but I am interested in the guide issue. We did K and L with Eddie and another guide (not the same one complained about)--with no issues. Did the poster write to complain to Disney following the trip? Or tell Eddie? (I recall his asking me specifically for feedback while on the trip--as at that point we had gone on two other ABD). I read the trip report--does sound frustrating re misdirections or failing to get back to you re the location of a museum etc.

It has been my experience that Disney will bend over backwards to make something wrong right...and while no one has ever told me on the Disney end that they read these disboards, I have heard it second hand. So another forum.

So setting aside the PR stuff---what did the poster do to get his issues before Disney, and in turn what was the response?
WeLoveABD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,819
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDad View Post
Kevin: I understand as the moderator, you have a vested interest in this. My intent wasn't to offend you, and it's clear you're taking this to heart. I understand it's easy to throw around the "L" word (ABD didn't have "legal permission"), but that's not correct and simply shortcuts an open exchange of views.

The fact is (and you should check your facts)--it isn't illegal for ABD to request customer feedback by e-mail without a signed release by a client. A customer can, of course, always opt out of receiving unwanted e-mail--that's a common practice, and you've probably seen those with other e-mails you receive. And the suggestion that "they fulfilled their end of the business deal" is exactly the point I'm making. Most travel companies take into account customer feedback because they view the client experience as "the business". I understand your point that receiving solicitations is the "price" of being able to express one's opinion to ABD. I simply don't agree that's how it should be even if, as you state, that's how it is. My view is that ABD should ask for feedback because it's important--both to creating a better experience and valuing their clients, not based on what else they can extract from you in return. I get that you feel differently and it's nothing personal. But it's not just "business" either.
I should put your mind at ease and let you know that I'm not taking this to heart.

I just spent a whole day at the ABD offices in Anaheim and asked why ABD doesnt contact guests via email. It seems to me that this is a rather easy way to make sure that each and every guest gets this information.

I was told that ABD doesnt store your email of physical address for advertising or contact purposes. Disney / ABD legal doesnt allow it unless you give them permission to do so.

In fact,. ABD doesnt have many of their guests information as the guest booked through a travel agent who had all documentation sent to their office and disbursed the information from there.

As for the open exchange of views....well, that hasnt really happened here. After you posted your opinion, many others have tried to explain the situation to you and that doesnt seem to be enough to convince you.

You seem to be stuck in "ABD failed" mode and that's ok, but please understand that ABD does ask for feedback after each and every trip.....if you grant them permission.

And lastly....I have no vested interest as a moderator.

I do have an interest in making sure that accurate information is shared and that's all I'm doing.
__________________
DisneyKevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
KidDad
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18

My goal isn't to misquote anyone. Readers can decide for themselves whether Kevin's reference to "legal considerations" or "legal permission" suggested that there was a legal aspect. And by a "vested interest", I simply mean that the board moderators are more protective of ABD by virtue of being more committed and caring about it in a way someone who isn't a moderator might not.

I expressed my concern and criticism. I appreciate some of the non-defensive responses, some of which is well-taken. I'm surprised a moderator can close a thread simply because he or she gets "irritated" by a different view or interpretation, but I've said my piece. Others can use (or ignore) my experience as a data point for deciding whether to use ABD--I think my original trip review (separate post) was pretty complete and balanced. Thanks for making the Boards available.

Kind regards,

KidDad
KidDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,208
DISboards Moderator

From the DISboards guidelines:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm/

Quote:
4. NO FIGHTING/SARCASM While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction
Quote:
9. MODERATORS The DIS has a wonderful group of Moderators who have volunteered to assist our visitors and monitor the boards. Part of their responsibilities are ensuring that our guidelines are followed which may require that a thread is edited, deleted, closed or moved. If these decisions impact you, we ask that you respect them. Should you have any questions, please direct them to admin@wdwinfo.com. Any discussion about a Moderating decision that takes place on the boards could result in an infraction.
That's all I'm going to say about that.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,819
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDad View Post
My goal isn't to misquote anyone. Readers can decide for themselves whether Kevin's reference to "legal considerations" or "legal permission" suggested that there was a legal aspect. And by a "vested interest", I simply mean that the board moderators are more protective of ABD by virtue of being more committed and caring about it in a way someone who isn't a moderator might not.

I expressed my concern and criticism. I appreciate some of the non-defensive responses, some of which is well-taken. I'm surprised a moderator can close a thread simply because he or she gets "irritated" by a different view or interpretation, but I've said my piece. Others can use (or ignore) my experience as a data point for deciding whether to use ABD--I think my original trip review (separate post) was pretty complete and balanced. Thanks for making the Boards available.

Kind regards,

KidDad
Kiddad,

I think you should take a look around these boards before making the assumption that anyone is protective of ABD or any other aspect of Disney business.

In addition, I'm not sure where you got the idea that this thread was closed. You are welcome to have a different opinion and to voice that opinion, but you also must know that others are allowed to voice their opinion as well.

These boards are a place to share information. You posted inaccurate information and others have pointed that out to you. Whether this satisfies you are not is besides the point, but accurate information has been shared.

ABD sends out guest satisfaction surveys if you give them permission to contact you. Whether you agree with that policy or not is up to you.

And finally....the folks that run ABD shared the fact that that there are legal issues involved in ABD / Disney soliciting without your permission.

I'm not suggesting it or alluding to it. I'm stating it outright. ABD tells me that there are legal issues involved with them soliciting information via mail or email without your permission. If that's vague or ambiguous....let me know and I'll try and clarify it.
__________________
DisneyKevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #26
jemhao
Earning My Ears
 
jemhao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 22

Just wanted to express that I think it's awesome that this concern around guest feedback is so universally expressed. It's pretty evident by now that we all want to be heard, whether that be as a customer of ABD, or a member of disboards.
Only by KidDad bringing up this issue of guest feedback, and then everyone's response to it, did it become clear the exact route one must take to ensure that they receive a survey from ABD.
It is unfortunate that the tone changed from genuine concern to pointed accusations (on both sides). Regardless, the first page of this thread is very helpful. Glad we could get something out of it.
jemhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #27
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,646

I received my Southwest Splendors survery this morning.

Last edited by Bobo912; 07-19-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: I can't type :)
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,208
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
I received my Southwest Splendors survery thing morning.


Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #29
sssteele
DIS Veteran
 
sssteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,207

I hate to hear that you had issues with ABD since we have our 1st trip scheduled with them this fall. I hope and plan to have a great experience, learn new things, have a blast and make memories with new friends.

I, however, am the type to go "straight to the horses mouth', and would surely contact ABD with my comments, complaints and/or suggestions.
__________________
Sam & Joan

Last edited by sssteele; 07-19-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: color
sssteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #30
pmotto2222
Do you want to go to Disneyland today?
 
pmotto2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15

Just finished an ABD survey from the Alaskan adventure we had last week. Found it in my Spam folder.
pmotto2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.