Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #61
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Wyoming, and, well, Wyoming

So we finished up at Jewel Cave and made our way back to Wyoming where today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo). We figured we would make our way around Wyoming to setup for a better approach to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

So as we began our positioning route we figured we better gas up in case there "might" be a long stretch of road without any services. So we see a gas station right before we leave town and pull in to find:

Yes, you are not seeing things. Those are actual, functional analog dial gas pumps. Erika and I both looked at each other and said, we gotta take a picture of that, when's the last time you've seen a rotary dial gas pump, let alone filled up with one? Fortunately they had unleaded so we were good.

So all gassed up and ready to go we, well, went. We drove, and drove, had lunch, and drove some more.

Here is some of the amazing scenery we saw going through Wyoming:

Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty". So we continue on a little more and came across this place:

http://lds.org/placestovisit/eng/his...-historic-site

Now, they had put together a very nice site with some amazing scenery, but I will say there were 2 things that gave Erika some pause:

1) In the Woman's bathroom there was a sign that said "Please do not wash hair and feet in sinks."

2) There was a woman who was very insistent on us seeing the movie and having the kids pull us in a handcart.

I will say I appreciate the history here and the conditions where the children had to pull the carts, but our 3 girls are all under 8 and I'm no starving pilgrim. I don't quite think that the best thing would be for our girls to pull me in a cart.

It was very picturesque there and I did read up on the history of this location after our trip and I have a lot more respect for what they were commemorating at this spot. Here are some of the pics:

Shannon also found a plaque commemorating a woman who's name was Elizabeth (Shannon's middle name) and she wanted a picture with this famous Elizabeth.

Mary wanted to show her excitement

So after we left the hand cart site, we headed on to Lander, WY where we were staying for the night.

Coming up next, The Best Burger in the World.... and some National Parks.

Me (40) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (9) DD (6)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
middlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #62
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
So we finished up at Jewel Cave and made our way back to Wyoming where today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo). We figured we would make our way around Wyoming to setup for a better approach to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
Did you start demanding that Erika give you directions using only "Port" and "Starboard?" I would have.

Quote:
Wow. Where do you swipe your credit card?

On a related note: remember when your gas choices were Regular and Unleaded. Now Unleaded has become Regular, in addition to Super and Premium? No wonder gas prices are so high - it's all spent on marketing and changing the signs at gas stations.

Quote:
That looks very pretty country. Did the girls enjoy it or were they just watching movies?

Quote:
Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty".
No way. There's NO WAY that ever happened. That's just a bit that you see recycled in TV and movies. No child has ever said they had to go to the bathroom right after a rest stop.

Mine don't even give me the courtesy of getting 1/2 mile down the road. They say it just as I pass the exit, so we can watch the rest area zoom by out the window.

Quote:

I will say I appreciate the history here and the conditions where the children had to pull the carts, but our 3 girls are all under 8 and I'm no starving pilgrim. I don't quite think that the best thing would be for our girls to pull me in a cart.
Did they provide whips? Maybe those would add a little motivation for the girls to pull harder.
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #63
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
So we finished up at Jewel Cave and made our way back to Wyoming where today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo).
Oooooo… fancy talk.

Quote:
So all gassed up and ready to go we, well, went. We drove, and drove, had lunch, and drove some more.
It’s Kansas all over again (but with much better scenery)

Quote:
Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty". So we continue on a little more and came across this place:
Ahhhhh… kids. Ya’ gott’s love ‘em.

No, really… you gott’a, ‘cause if we didn’t, it’s guaranteed that by sundown on just about any given day, one of us would be pushing up daisies.

Quote:
Cool. Proof that everyplace is interesting… if you can take the time to find out why.

Quote:
1) In the Woman's bathroom there was a sign that said "Please do not wash hair and feet in sinks."
Just those two restrictions?

“Everything” else was fair game?

Oh that opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

Quote:
2) There was a woman who was very insistent on us seeing the movie and having the kids pull us in a handcart.
Don’t think she gets to see very many actually people… she just want y’all to keep her company for a bit.

Quote:
…I'm no starving pilgrim.
Your Honor… I’d like to plead the fifth

Quote:
Well it looks like you got your priorities in order.

Gorgeous pictures! I really would love to be able to take a similar drive through this country some day.
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #64
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Wow. Did you pump it yourself, or did a guy come out and do it for you and then wash your windows? I bet they had pay phones that took quarters, too. Or was there a switchboard?

Quote:
Looks nice to me. Of course, I'm from Delaware, elevation 2. So everything looks exotic to me.

Quote:
Finally as we passed a rest area, (literally less than 0.5 miles past) one of the kids pipes up with the "I gotta go potty".
Here's what I think of your exotic scenery! Oops, wrong TR.

Quote:
I assume anything else is fair game?

Quote:
Oooh, burgers!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #65
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post

Great minds...
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #66
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Brian. The Wyoming scenery you posted is beautiful.

I'd be a little hesitant myself going in a bathroom that says don't wash hair or feet ins ink.

I remember the days they used to pump your gas, check your oil and clean your windows.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #67
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Wow. Where do you swipe your credit card?
Believe it or not, you actually had to go inside the store to pay. Crazy, I know.

Quote:
That looks very pretty country. Did the girls enjoy it or were they just watching movies?
Actually the kids were very impressed with the scenery. This is where Shannon stated that "Every time I look out my window I can't believe this is the same country." This was a very proud moment for Erika and I knowing that they were appreciating what we were able to show them. Of course Mary at the same time exclaimed, "I just passed the boss on level XX!" so we were brought back to reality pretty quick.

Quote:
No way. There's NO WAY that ever happened. That's just a bit that you see recycled in TV and movies. No child has ever said they had to go to the bathroom right after a rest stop.
OK, you're right. This was a fabrication.

Quote:
Mine don't even give me the courtesy of getting 1/2 mile down the road. They say it just as I pass the exit, so we can watch the rest area zoom by out the window.
This was more like what happened.

Quote:
Did they provide whips? Maybe those would add a little motivation for the girls to pull harder.
We didn't ask, as we were afraid of the answer.

Quote:
It’s Kansas all over again (but with much better scenery)
Not quite Kansas as I wasn't to the point of wanting to poke my eyes out just for a difference in view.

Quote:
Ahhhhh… kids. Ya’ gott’s love ‘em.

No, really… you gott’a, ‘cause if we didn’t, it’s guaranteed that by sundown on just about any given day, one of us would be pushing up daisies.
You too?

Quote:
Cool. Proof that everyplace is interesting… if you can take the time to find out why.
I agree, as this was on the detour part of the trip we weren't prepared for this bit of history, otherwise I might (stress might) have introduced the concept of the Oregon Trail to the girls so that they could have put this place into perspective.

Quote:
Don’t think she gets to see very many actually people… she just want y’all to keep her company for a bit.
I think you may be on to something here. Either that or she was looking for a new "sister wife".

Quote:
Gorgeous pictures! I really would love to be able to take a similar drive through this country some day.
I highly recommend a drive through this part of the country. It truly is breath taking scenery and I find it to be very calming compared to the hustle and bustle of city living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Wow. Did you pump it yourself, or did a guy come out and do it for you and then wash your windows? I bet they had pay phones that took quarters, too. Or was there a switchboard?
No switchboard, but I think the payphone only cost a dime.

Quote:
Looks nice to me. Of course, I'm from Delaware, elevation 2. So everything looks exotic to me.
Oh, look, a mole hill. Quick kids, get out the climbing equipment.

Quote:
Here's what I think of your exotic scenery! Oops, wrong TR.
Having a family of all girls, this joke is lost on them.

Quote:

Oh that opens up a whole lot of possibilities.
I don't even want to think about that.

Quote:
I assume anything else is fair game?
See above comment to Goofy.

Quote:
Great minds...
My family has a similar experssion, "Great minds think alike, but small minds seldom differ." You pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Brian. The Wyoming scenery you posted is beautiful.

I'd be a little hesitant myself going in a bathroom that says don't wash hair or feet ins ink.

I remember the days they used to pump your gas, check your oil and clean your windows.
Thanks Kat! I still find myself replaying some of the scenery when I need a mental vacation at work. As for the bathroom, that is something I'm trying to mentally block out.

Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #68
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:

My family has a similar experssion, "Great minds think alike, but small minds seldom differ." You pick.

Yah… but what about the demented minds?
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #69
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
So you'd feel better if the sign said "Go ahead and wash you hair and feet in the sink. That's cool with us"?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #70
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
today was just a "positioning" day (ooh, that sounds like cruise lingo).
I don't know if it is cruise lingo or not, but it definitely makes you sound like you're organized and doing something important.

Quote:
We figured we would make our way around Wyoming to setup for a better approach to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
Now you sound like you're using pilot talk. Do you have one of those amphibious flying vans?

Quote:
Wouldn't be a road trip if it didn't happen that way.

Quote:
She must not be used to seeing visitors...

Quote:
Can't wait to find out about the best burger in the world... unless you're being sarcastic and if that's the case I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Last edited by afwdwfan; 09-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #71
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I don't know if it is cruise lingo or not, but it definitely makes you sound like you're organized and doing something important.
Wow, I may use this logic next time to sound SMRTER.

Quote:
Now you sound like you're using pilot talk. Do you have one of those amphibious flying vans?
I wish that was the case, but no I don't have a FreezinRafiki Super-Mini-Van-inator.

Quote:
Wouldn't be a road trip if it didn't happen that way.

Quote:
She must not be used to seeing visitors...

Quote:
Can't wait to find out about the best burger in the world... unless you're being sarcasting and if that's the case I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
Don't worry, this was not a sarcastic teaser, this time....

Old 09-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #72
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Will I see another update BEFORE I leave for Disney in ten days?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #73
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
You realize you're asking this question about a DIS Dad's trip report, right???
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #74
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh yes, I know. I've dealt with Emma'sdad and that's nice....trust me I know how slow these men are!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #75
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh yes, I know. I've dealt with Emma'sdad and that's nice....trust me I know how slow these men are!
Wow, I'm named in some esteemed company there.

As for an update, I'm hoping to get one done tonight. (Note, hoping not promising)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: