Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoupons View Post
I can't wait for the Corn Palace. It has been over 30 years since I was there. I hope you post Pictures!
Yes we have pics of the Corn Palace, and some other places... If all goes well, I'll get an update done tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Did they win?

What would be the point in even having plans if you didn't have to change them?
As with all rec league sports at this level score is not kept and everyone wins... but our team won better then their team.

{forshadowing - on}
As for plans, agreed, and you'll see more evidence of just that as we continue our little excursion.
{forshadowing - off}

C'mon, I gotta try to keep people interested in this TR somehow.

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (6)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
middlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
So about 1:00 PM we head out on I-90 going west. The plan was to drive to Sioux Falls the first day without any sightseeing stops. This was fairly easily obtained as we were driving through Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Silly Flatlander, there's tons of stuff to do along I-90
  • State Street in Madison. It was the middle of the day in the middle of the summer, so the drunken debauchery would probably be at level acceptable to take a family with young kids. Probably.
  • Wisconsin Dells: Museum of Historic Torture Devices
  • La Crosse: World's largest 6 pack of beer.

I agree with you on Minnesota, though. There's nothing over there.
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Silly Flatlander, there's tons of stuff to do along I-90
  • State Street in Madison. It was the middle of the day in the middle of the summer, so the drunken debauchery would probably be at level acceptable to take a family with young kids. Probably.
  • Wisconsin Dells: Museum of Historic Torture Devices
  • La Crosse: World's largest 6 pack of beer.

I agree with you on Minnesota, though. There's nothing over there.
I will give you those mentioned items but:

1) We have taken the kids to "The Dells" and were afraid of a revolt if we stopped and then tried to load then back in the car.

2) DW and I have been to State Street in Madison on a Saturday afternoon pre-kids and we were concerned about the flashbacks.

3) I think DW was afraid of the same as #1 with me in LaCrosse.

As for calling me a "flat-lander" I would like to point out the following:

This is near where my friends and I would go camping when living in Canada, so don't be bringing no "flat-lander" my way.

Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
This is near where my friends and I would go camping when living in Canada, so don't be bringing no "flat-lander" my way.
You and Mark might have to let the whole nemesis thing slide... at least temporarily. Between this and the shirt Barry wore to meet Mark, it looks like he's trying to make this nemesis pairing a trio.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
You and Mark might have to let the whole nemesis thing slide... at least temporarily. Between this and the shirt Barry wore to meet Mark, it looks like he's trying to make this nemesis pairing a trio.
Oh no, we can't quite go there. See, Barry and I have this Illinois / Wisconsin love / hate thing going on, but I could never become his nemesis as he's a Cubs fan. So you see the conundrum there.

Now, Mark on the other hand.... he and I have this deep rooted hate that goes all the way back to 2010 where his "Blares Horn" went up against my badaba badaba badaba badaba, and we won the cup!

So, even though Barry and I don't always see eye to eye on most topics (outside of Disney and Dole Whips) any animosity that he directs to Mark is more than welcome. Something like the enemy of my enemy's enemy doesn't really bother me.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

The WORLD FAMOUS Corn Palace

So, as we last left our travelers they had just arrived into Sioux Falls, SD for a nice quiet night's sleep... and they actually got that. (I know we're all shocked at that one)

So morning comes as usual, right after night, and we get up and start packing up for our day of exciting sightseeing in South Dakota. "Great Faces. Great Places." according to their license plates, and as we all know these never lie.

SO we head downstairs for breakfast and the spread offered by the Springhill Suites was pretty good. They had your standards, bagels, cereal, yoghurt, etc. but they also had... wait for it.... BELGIAN WAFFLE MAKER. Now the reason for the fanfare here is that Shannon is the Waffle Princess. She loves her some waffles and as soon as she saw this, she had to have one. This typically wouldn't have been a problem except there was one family that provided a formidable foe.

{rant on}
So I don't want to go off on a rant or anything, but this one family of grown adults (parents and 2 adult children in their young 20s) strategically positioned themselves at the table right next to the waffle iron. Not an issue, but as there was only 1 waffle iron for everyone, they decided to cycle through all 4 family members and then after all 4 had their waffles, instead of asking if any of the other people hanging around the waffle iron if they were waiting to use it, family member #1 decides that this is a good time to go get his SECOND WAFFLE!!!!! So Shannon is about to go ballistic when my DW steps in and suggests that maybe some of the other guests might have a turn at getting some of the waffle goodness.
{rant off}

So anyway, after an extended breakfast, it was finally time to load up and head to the WORLD FAMOUS CORN PALACE in Mitchell, SD. After winding our way off the Interstate and into the quaint little town of Mitchell, we finally found ourselves in front of the Corn Palace.

Ok, so I know that this seems like a bit of a corny tourist attraction, (That's for you Barry) but I will say I was very impressed at first glance. The outside of the building was adorned by these murals that were made completely out of corn stalks, ears, etc.

So after checking out the murals around the sides, we decided to head on in and check out the inside where we found this quintessential photo op:

This was a little too close to home.

So inside the WORLD FAMOUS CORN PALACE I was a bit taken aback. There was a path that took you through the building and past pictures of all the years gone by as they change the murals each year, but then you get to the heart of the Corn Palace and find....... a flea market in the middle of a basketball court. I felt like I was in the middle of a Chevy Chase movie or something.

I will say that the girls loved every minute of the Corn Palace. They thought it was the most amazing thing ever. In fact as we were leaving and about to cross the street, Shannon tripped and scraped her hand a bit. She said that her hand stung a bit, but nothing could ruin this day, as this was the day we saw the Corn Palace. I guess I couldn't have said it better myself.

So before moving on from Mitchell and the WORLD FAMOUS CORN PALACE, we had to stop and get once last bit of "Corn Love".

Up next, we hit the Badlands.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #22
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Oh no, we can't quite go there. See, Barry and I have this Illinois / Wisconsin love / hate thing going on, but I could never become his nemesis as he's a Cubs fan. So you see the conundrum there.
I guess I understand the border rivalry thing. I'd have plenty of reason to make him, and apparently you, a nemesis though.

Quote:
So, even though Barry and I don't always see eye to eye on most topics (outside of Disney and Dole Whips) any animosity that he directs to Mark is more than welcome. Something like the enemy of my enemy's enemy doesn't really bother me.
I guess that makes sense in some weird, screwed up way.

Quote:
{rant on}
So I don't want to go off on a rant or anything, but this one family of grown adults (parents and 2 adult children in their young 20s) strategically positioned themselves at the table right next to the waffle iron. Not an issue, but as there was only 1 waffle iron for everyone, they decided to cycle through all 4 family members and then after all 4 had their waffles, instead of asking if any of the other people hanging around the waffle iron if they were waiting to use it, family member #1 decides that this is a good time to go get his SECOND WAFFLE!!!!! So Shannon is about to go ballistic when my DW steps in and suggests that maybe some of the other guests might have a turn at getting some of the waffle goodness.
{rant off}
Believe me, I understand. I spent more nights in hotels my first 4 1/2 years after college than I spent at home. The worst thing about the breakfast offerings tends to be the other guests. Things like you mentioned about hogging waffle makers, taking a whole frickin' tray of Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls to go, walking into the breakfast area with no shirt or shoes like they're just chilling at home... What happened to being resptectful of others and common decency?

Quote:
I will say that the girls loved every minute of the Corn Palace. They thought it was the most amazing thing ever. In fact as we were leaving and about to cross the street, Shannon tripped and scraped her hand a bit. She said that her hand stung a bit, but nothing could ruin this day, as this was the day we saw the Corn Palace. I guess I couldn't have said it better myself.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I fully endorse the celebration of corn and all things corn related! I'd be living in a cardboard box under an overpass if it weren't for that wonderful plant.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #23
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Shannon is the Waffle Princess.
That’s the kind of nickname that can stick with a person for life (hay… it might even make for a good Dis-Name)

Quote:
…except there was one family that provided a formidable foe.
Formidable indeed. I think that you’re allowed to rant here; nonsense of that caliber is far too common an occurrence amongst the general populous. There’s a whole lot of “ME” thinking that is driving much of the ranker these days.

Quote:

The WORLD FAMOUS CORN PALACE in Mitchell, SD
Cool!

Quote:
…but then you get to the heart of the Corn Palace and find....... a flea market in the middle of a basketball court.
W-a-i-t......a.......s-e-c-o-n-d… I thought you said this was in South Dakota?
It certainly sounds like the “South” that I know... but I ain’t so certain about the “Dakota” part based on that description.

Quote:

I will say that the girls loved every minute of the Corn Palace.
And that’s why we do this stuff!

Well… that and because we secretly want to see things like this for ourselves, but just don’t want to have to admit to such in front of other adults who are themselves trying not to admit that they thought it was actually pretty cool too, but none of us want to look uncool, and………………

Quote:
Up next, we hit the Badlands.
Looking forward!
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
I guess I understand the border rivalry thing. I'd have plenty of reason to make him, and apparently you, a nemesis though.
Yeah, as I've said before, I acquiesce when it comes to baseball trash talk, as I am after all a Cubs fan.

Quote:
I guess that makes sense in some weird, screwed up way.
It's the only way I know how to make sense. (weird and screwed up)

Quote:
Believe me, I understand. I spent more nights in hotels my first 4 1/2 years after college than I spent at home. The worst thing about the breakfast offerings tends to be the other guests. Things like you mentioned about hogging waffle makers, taking a whole frickin' tray of Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls to go, walking into the breakfast area with no shirt or shoes like they're just chilling at home... What happened to being resptectful of others and common decency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Formidable indeed. I think that you’re allowed to rant here; nonsense of that caliber is far too common an occurrence amongst the general populous. There’s a whole lot of “ME” thinking that is driving much of the ranker these days.

Wish I could right this wrong in the world, but all I can do is teach the 3 I'm raising to act properly... and smack those that don't.

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I fully endorse the celebration of corn and all things corn related! I'd be living in a cardboard box under an overpass if it weren't for that wonderful plant.
So, ears the deal. I thought that I'd add a kernel of knowledge about the corniest of all vegetables, Corn. If you treat it right it'll butter you up, or pop off in the most delicious manner. So in escense, all hail the king of corn!

Cob to your mother.

Quote:
That’s the kind of nickname that can stick with a person for life (hay… it might even make for a good Dis-Name)
Agreed, but she has already achieved Queen status in the area of Drama.

Quote:
W-a-i-t......a.......s-e-c-o-n-d… I thought you said this was in South Dakota?
It certainly sounds like the “South” that I know... but I ain’t so certain about the “Dakota” part based on that description.
Oh it was definately Dakota. Where else can you get a genuine pheasant pelt to hang.... somewhere?

Quote:
And that’s why we do this stuff!

Well… that and because we secretly want to see things like this for ourselves, but just don’t want to have to admit to such in front of other adults who are themselves trying not to admit that they thought it was actually pretty cool too, but none of us want to look uncool, and………………

Looking forward!
Couldn't have said it better myself.... as proof by my last entry.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

I'm ashamed to admit I had never, ever heard of the Corn Palace before. Is that wrong?
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #26
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I'm ashamed to admit I had never, ever heard of the Corn Palace before. Is that wrong?
Not wrong, just Oblivious.

Of course now that you have heard of it.... I know where the Oblivious clan is going on there next vacation.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #27
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
So, as we last left our travelers they had just arrived into Sioux Falls, SD for a nice quiet night's sleep... and they actually got that. (I know we're all shocked at that one)
Three kids in a hotel room and they all slept? I have a hard time getting that to happen with two.

Quote:
So morning comes as usual, right after night, and we get up and start packing up for our day of exciting sightseeing in South Dakota. "Great Faces. Great Places." according to their license plates, and as we all know these never lie.
Illinois License Plate: "Land of Lincoln". Even though he was born in Kentucky and grew up in Indiana.
Perhaps we should petition the Illinois DOT to switch to something a little closer to the truth: "Vote Early, Vote Often"

Quote:
{rant on}
{rant off}
Crack you knuckles as you ask them how they would look the rest of the day with waffle iron marks on their face. Trust me, you'll be next in line.

Quote:
Ok, so I know that this seems like a bit of a corny tourist attraction, (That's for you Barry) but I will say I was very impressed at first glance.
Well done, Brian. Well done indeed.

Quote:
In fact as we were leaving and about to cross the street, Shannon tripped and scraped her hand a bit. She said that her hand stung a bit, but nothing could ruin this day, as this was the day we saw the Corn Palace.
She doesn't get out much, does she?

Quote:
I guess I couldn't have said it better myself.
Nor do you, it appears...

Quote:
Yeah, as I've said before, I acquiesce when it comes to baseball trash talk, as I am after all a Cubs fan.

Quote:
So, ears the deal. I thought that I'd add a kernel of knowledge about the corniest of all vegetables, Corn. If you treat it right it'll butter you up, or pop off in the most delicious manner. So in escense, all hail the king of corn!

Cob to your mother.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Illinois License Plate: "Land of Lincoln". Even though he was born in Kentucky and grew up in Indiana.
Perhaps we should petition the Illinois DOT to switch to something a little closer to the truth: "Vote Early, Vote Often"

Well, they only have a select few non-corrupt politicians to choose from. Might as well just let them have this one.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #29
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Quote:

Well, they only have a select few non-corrupt politicians to choose from. Might as well just let them have this one.
Why do I feel like I'm getting from both sides.... oh yeah... WI... IN... that's why.

Another one I like is: "Illinois DOC: The official residence of retired Governors."

Or another: "Illinois, not quite as corrupt as New Jersey"

Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #30
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Buffalo Gap National Grassland and Badlands

So, having our fill of the Corn Palace and all that Mitchell, SD had to offer, we all packed up and drove a quick 200 miles west to the Buffalo Gap National Grassland.

Now you may ask yourself, "Self, why would one want to stop to see the Buffalo Gap National Grassland after driving 200 miles through un-claimed grasslands?" You may ask yourself that, unless you know that the Buffalo Gap National Grassland is an extra special grassland.

(is it wrong that I like to use the word grassland")

What's special about the Buffalo Gap National Grassland is this:

The badlands of South Dakota are very cool and unfortunately my pictures can't do it justice. What's amazing is that as you drive up to this outlook, it looks just like the prairie just goes on until you realize, whoops, there's a cliff there.

The way the badlands are created is a combination of weak stone structure and wind / water erosion. As the stone gets worn by the elements there are parts of the badlands that change by as much as a few inches each year.

We continued through the scenic drive until we got to the bottom of the drop where they had a park visitor center.

The girls had fun running around a bit and stretching there legs and we wanted to get a picture with the badlands in the background.

Of course if you've met our girls, you'd know that this just wasn't nearly up close and personal enough, so as we continued through the badlands scenic drive, we found a good opportunity to get personal with the badlands.

This was the view to the side of where the girls were climbing.

This is what remains of a river bed that once ran through here.

Up next.... Mt. Rushmore and when 7 o'clock doesn't mean 7 o'clock.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: