Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #31
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDr. View Post
Expect for you of course, Phil! You, I am sure, are a fabulous doctor!
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #32
DisDr.
Caution: Doors Open Automagically Toward You

I agree, but the mental image of you smacking around some poor fmg is priceless!
DIS Dad's Club Member #475 DISDads Facebook Group Member

DisDr. is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
DisDr.
Caution: Doors Open Automagically Toward You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
WTFt (What The French toast)?

I didn't even know there was a Dis Dad's thead.

I'll even rant about a Disney related rant.

The Disney Store in our local mall is closing because the Mall wants to change something or other. So now we don't even have a place to go take the kid when we're in the dang mall to distract her.

BelAir Mall.
I'm with you. At least there is still the outlet in Gulfport!
DIS Dad's Club Member #475 DISDads Facebook Group Member

DisDr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #34
unclescrooge_0707
I'M ON THE RIGHT!!!
DDC 418

Reposted from the main thread.

Aaand I'm back.

*AFTER* an epiphany.(sp? I really don't know)

I went to work softball game. I was late because my DS8 had baseball practice that went late. I arrived at softball at 6:18 for a 6:00 game. Yes, I was late. My team is up to bat when I arrive, and "The Skip" says, "Oh, we don't need you. You're too late to play." you, skip!

Man, I was p*ssed. With 4 kids, and a DW that starts teaching evenings in June, I'm only up to play in 4 of the 12 games anyway, and I'm told to leave. That sucks.

Then I consider the facts: I'm 32 with 4 little ones. 2 guys are OLDER than me with kids that are younger than mine (but fewer of them). The remaining 6 girls and 7 guys are single 20-somethings. So, aside from softball, I don't have anything In common with my teammates.
(*Extrapalating out, I don't have anything in common with my work-mates, either)

Then, my epiphany: Growing up, I didn't look like my dad or mom or brother (see my TR for photos) and had to have my own children so someone would look like me. At work, nothing in common with anyone my age, and the Older associates naturally have older children.

So, why am I upset that I don't have things in common with people that don't have the things I have? A DW that still likes me and has a PhD, 4 munchkins, and 5 trips to WDW under my belt. I really shouldn't be! THEY should be jealous of ME, not the other way around. Now I feel better. Thanks for listening.
unclescrooge_0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #35
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescrooge_0707 View Post

Aaand I'm back.

I went to work softball game. I was late because my DS8 had baseball practice that went late. I arrived at softball at 6:18 for a 6:00 game. Yes, I was late. My team is up to bat when I arrive, and "The Skip" says, "Oh, we don't need you. You're too late to play." you, skip!

Man, I was p*ssed. With 4 kids, and a DW that starts teaching evenings in June, I'm only up to play in 4 of the 12 games anyway, and I'm told to leave. That sucks.

Then I consider the facts: I'm 32 with 4 little ones. 2 guys are OLDER than me with kids that are younger than mine (but fewer of them). The remaining 6 girls and 7 guys are single 20-somethings. So, aside from softball, I don't have anything In common with my teammates.
(*Extrapalating out, I don't have anything in common with my work-mates, either)

Then, my epiphany: Growing up, I didn't look like my dad or mom or brother (see my TR for photos) and had to have my own children so someone would look like me. At work, nothing in common with anyone my age, and the Older associates naturally have older children.

So, why am I upset that I don't have things in common with people that don't have the things I have? A DW that still likes me and has a PhD, 4 munchkins, and 5 trips to WDW under my belt. I really shouldn't be! THEY should be jealous of ME, not the other way around. Now I feel better. Thanks for listening.
Heaven forbid you put your family before others...

Maybe they are jealous....Rock on!

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #36
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Ok, time for my first rant.

We've been getting some better weather and have started working ground getting ready to plant corn. There's a lady who owns some ground that we farm on share. She provides the ground, we provide labor and equipment, we pay half the seed/fertilizer/chemicals and she pays half, then we get half the grain and she gets half.

Her daughter walks into the office where my MOM works and tells HER (not my dad who actually farms the ground) that she doesn't want any fertilizer or chemicals used on the farm and wants us to raise organic corn and soybeans.

At this point, all the inputs are bought (fertilizer, seed, chemicals). I'm literally getting ready to pull into that field with a cultivator when we find out this information. It is too late to get manure on the field in place of fertilizer, so essentially, if we farm that field organically, she and dad will lose money. I don't think she understands that you can't change an entire farming operation in 1 day, and there is NO MARKET for organic corn and soybeans. It is just going to go in the same pile as all the other grain... so a more expensive production technique that produces a yield drag and has no income benefit. Wanna guess why there is virtually nobody doing organic grain??????

Dad is going to try to talk her out of it, but at this point don't know what will happen. He doesn't want to put $100/acre worth of seed in the ground when you can't take care of it properly.

By the way, I've never heard my dad say Peanut Butter and Beverly as much as he was yesterday afternoon.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #37
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescrooge_0707 View Post

Aaand I'm back.

You've got your priorities straight, don't worry about them. I play softball in a rec league and it just annoys the crap out of me how seriously some people take it. My skip yelled at me last week for swinging at a ball... it is rec league softball! I don't play so I can hold a bat on my shoulder and walk to first base. The only reason I play is because I want to swing the bat and if I can reach the ball, I will!!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #38
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Ok, time for my first rant.

We've been getting some better weather and have started working ground getting ready to plant corn. There's a lady who owns some ground that we farm on share. She provides the ground, we provide labor and equipment, we pay half the seed/fertilizer/chemicals and she pays half, then we get half the grain and she gets half.

Her daughter walks into the office where my MOM works and tells HER (not my dad who actually farms the ground) that she doesn't want any fertilizer or chemicals used on the farm and wants us to raise organic corn and soybeans.

At this point, all the inputs are bought (fertilizer, seed, chemicals). I'm literally getting ready to pull into that field with a cultivator when we find out this information. It is too late to get manure on the field in place of fertilizer, so essentially, if we farm that field organically, she and dad will lose money. I don't think she understands that you can't change an entire farming operation in 1 day, and there is NO MARKET for organic corn and soybeans. It is just going to go in the same pile as all the other grain... so a more expensive production technique that produces a yield drag and has no income benefit. Wanna guess why there is virtually nobody doing organic grain??????

Dad is going to try to talk her out of it, but at this point don't know what will happen. He doesn't want to put $100/acre worth of seed in the ground when you can't take care of it properly.

By the way, I've never heard my dad say Peanut Butter and Beverly as much as he was yesterday afternoon.
Ummm... Maybe I missed something... but this was the daughter saying this. Are her parents in on this, too? (I'm assuming the parents are still around). Anyway... definitely sounds like a peanut buttery situation. Just curious... would she have any legal grounds to keep you from going ahead with what was planned? (I know very little about farming)
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Emma's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
WTFt (What The French toast)?
Fella's I think we have a new candidate to join the ranks of Peanut Butter and Beverly.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #40
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Ummm... Maybe I missed something... but this was the daughter saying this. Are her parents in on this, too? (I'm assuming the parents are still around). Anyway... definitely sounds like a peanut buttery situation. Just curious... would she have any legal grounds to keep you from going ahead with what was planned? (I know very little about farming)
It is the daughter. Her dad passed away a year ago and he used to run the farm. He actually understood how things work. The farm belongs to the mom now, but the daughter runs her life (and she isn't incapable of thinking and acting for herself, she just doesn't put up a fight). Legally, I have no idea. If it was a cash rent, they'd have no leg to stand on, but with a crop share, they pay part of the inputs and get part of the income, so they technically have as much say on that as we do. A little more notice would be fantastic though. I'm hoping dad can talk to her today and get something settled out, but really it's a late spring and our priority is getting seed in the ground right now, not dealing with her BS. We farm the ground all around that farm, so we'd hate to lose it, but that might be the best option if it comes down to it.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #41
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

Guh! I hate it when I say something live on the air that sounded funnier and made a lot more sense in my head.

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #42
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Lurkey View Post
Guh! I hate it when I say something live on the air that sounded funnier and made a lot more sense in my head.

TL
Could always test it here first?
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #43
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Lurkey View Post

TL
I hate it whenever I do it, and I do it all the time.

Cinderella's Fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #44
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
Could always test it here first?
Unfortunately, I doubt they would let me pause the show, come here to try out my come back, and then resume...and they might figure out what I was doing if I went to commercial everytime I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
I hate it whenever I do it, and I do it all the time.
In front of thousands of listeners?

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #45
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
It is the daughter. Her dad passed away a year ago and he used to run the farm. He actually understood how things work. The farm belongs to the mom now, but the daughter runs her life (and she isn't incapable of thinking and acting for herself, she just doesn't put up a fight). Legally, I have no idea. If it was a cash rent, they'd have no leg to stand on, but with a crop share, they pay part of the inputs and get part of the income, so they technically have as much say on that as we do. A little more notice would be fantastic though. I'm hoping dad can talk to her today and get something settled out, but really it's a late spring and our priority is getting seed in the ground right now, not dealing with her BS. We farm the ground all around that farm, so we'd hate to lose it, but that might be the best option if it comes down to it.
That sounds like a royal pain in the rear... Sorry you have to deal with that. Always the worst when people take stands on things they really have no clue about.

Tags
beverly, not a thumb, peanut butter, rant

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: