Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #46
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Christopher, excellent thread. Please make sure you talk about "the local crowd", the effect of So Cal residents on crowd levels, and block out days. Critical information, IMO.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #47
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Does anyone know if they still do the Candlelight Processional at Disneyland?

Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #48
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Does anyone know if they still do the Candlelight Processional at Disneyland?

Yes they do.

It is typically either the first or second weekend in December. This last year it was the first weekend. Performances are on both Saturday and Sunday evening.

They did try moving it from Town Square at the beginning of the '00s and placing it up in the Fantasyland Theatre (former Videopolis area) - a la Epcot, with pre-sales for dinner and such, but that didn't work well at all and it was moved back to Town Square. Dining reservations were dropped in '07 and it's been back to first come-first served type of seating and SRO for the past 3 years. Rumor has it they might try some sort of a reservation system again this year, but I can't confirm or deny that.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #49
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Yes they do.

It is typically either the first or second weekend in December. This last year it was the first weekend. Performances are on both Saturday and Sunday evening.

They did try moving it from Town Square at the beginning of the '00s and placing it up in the Fantasyland Theatre (former Videopolis area) - a la Epcot, with pre-sales for dinner and such, but that didn't work well at all and it was moved back to Town Square. Dining reservations were dropped in '07 and it's been back to first come-first served type of seating and SRO for the past 3 years. Rumor has it they might try some sort of a reservation system again this year, but I can't confirm or deny that.
Thank you, Oh Mighty DL Guru!

Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #50
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospopo5 View Post
For those who have not been to DL before and have only experienced WDW, go with an open mind! I am have a feeling that with Aulani now more folks will be stopping over there and it will become a new favorite for many.

I just hope that I can stay at the Grand Califronian again! I was able to stay there for work and only paid $95 a night which is dirt cheap but being right there will give you that Disney feeling for sure!

I cant wait to get back there soon!
I wanted to echo some of these thoughts. I was a little skeptical about DL, myself ("It's so small... look at the teeny, tiny castle..."), but having just returned, I am a convert.

In terms of rides at both parks:

Space Mountain: DL > WDW
IASW: DL > WDW (with a minor deduction for the Disney movie characters in the sets... just not crazy about that part)
PotC: DL > WDW
Haunted Mansion: DL=WDW. This feels like the most Apples to Oranges comparison, because the look of the rides is so different from the outside. The Mansion fits better in DL, but I think the fit and finish on the inside are better at MK.
ToT: DHS > CA. The Florida version gives you more of a "trip" through the ride.
TSMM: DHS>CA. I think you get less of the queue experience at CA, which would be fine if it meant less of a queue, but it doesn't.
Soarin': CA=Epcot. I keep hearing that the projection equipment at CA is better than that at Epcot, but it seemed the same to me.

And, California Screamin' at California Adventure and the Indiana Jones ride at DL have no equal in Florida. World of Color... well, I hope they are considering building a new gate in Florida to host this.

We got to stay at the Grand Californian in a room with a view of CA, and that, to me, is the new standard for a Theme Park View. I could have hit people in line for Soarin' Over California with a tennis ball thrown from my balcony. Despite my concerns over how small the whole DL complex was, it turned out to be plenty big to hold our attention for the time we were there. Entry into CA from the Grand Californian is even closer than entering Epcot via International Gateway from Beach Club, although the line for CA was huge for the CA extra hour day.

So, I'd say that even going in without an open mind, DL might surprise you quite pleasantly. I get it now.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #51
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

Less than 2 weeks until we hit the DLR. Staying at DLH for the first time since May 2010...so I will take lots of pictures of the remodel.
Pjimmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #52
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Bump.
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #53
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

We get there Monday afternoon. After we check in we're going to head to DL...crowds shouldn't be too bad the Monday after Thanksgiving. Tuesday is Blue Bayou inside Pirates of the Caribbean...always have to eat there. The restaurant is set up next to the early part of the ride and acts as part of the scenery as you start out in the New Orleans style / swamp beginning of the ride (one of the differences with the MK version).
Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #54
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjimmeyer View Post
We get there Monday afternoon. After we check in we're going to head to DL...crowds shouldn't be too bad the Monday after Thanksgiving. Tuesday is Blue Bayou inside Pirates of the Caribbean...always have to eat there. The restaurant is set up next to the early part of the ride and acts as part of the scenery as you start out in the New Orleans style / swamp beginning of the ride (one of the differences with the MK version).
Oh have fun! Wish I could be going myself...

Blue Bayou is the best. The atmosphere is so fabulous. I just love how the concept sketch that Dorothea Redmond did turned into such a fabulous reality. That southern plantation looks terrific. Oh and the food they serve on that veranda is pretty good too. Love, love, love those lanterns over head. BB was one of my dad's favorite places to eat when we would go as a family when I was a kid. So I ate there a LOT during my growing up years. Not as much as an adult (since I was paying), but it has been a special treat with my wife now and again. ENJOY IT!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #55
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

Heading back to DLR next week. This will be our first stay at the Grand Californian after many stays at DLRH. We reserved a park view room and requested a high floor. Looking forward to easy access to DCA. Going to do our normal Blue Bayou lunch and world of color dinner package. Since we are staying at the GCH for the first time thought it would also be a nice time to try Napa Rose restaurant there.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #56
stopher1

Oh that sounds so very cool.

Our very first stay at the Grand was a Downtown Disney view. It was neat to stand out on the balcony at night and people watch, and to leave the slider open and listen to the musical artists that set up and perform.

After that all of our stays have been in the DVC villas, with theme park views. You just can't beat the Grand for theme park proximity! Enjoy that private entrance to DCA!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #57
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

I think we have a new favorite hotel at Disneyland...Grand Californian has replaced DLH for us. Here is the view from our room balcony last week:

Busy crowds since it was the start of spring break season...but what a blast!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #58
gonecrusin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjimmeyer View Post
I think we have a new favorite hotel at Disneyland...Grand Californian has replaced DLH for us. Here is the view from our room balcony last week:

Busy crowds since it was the start of spring break season...but what a blast!
What size room and why was the room number?

I love to do laundry

DVC since 1994 (OKW & AKL & BLT & VGC)
1994-2010 too many to list
2011 AKV/DCL(Alaska)/AKV/OKW
2012 VGC Disneyland/DCL Fantasy
2013 DCL Magic EBTA (DCL #13) and London
2014 Aulani
2015 Magic EBTA (Northern route)
gonecrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #59
Pjimmeyer
1000th Happy Haunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrusin View Post
What size room and why was the room number?
Room 5246. It was a standard size room from what I understand...2 queen sized beds. Roomy but it didn't feel like it was quite up to Contemporary Resort standards as far as size.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #60
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
That is my plan for next summer. Graduation present to DD. Fly to CA., stay a couple of days at Disneyland then Hawaii. Spend a week there for the first and probably last time. For a while at least. By then, I should be diving again but even if I am not, DD will love to do it. DVC makes it semi-affordable. No room bills.
Wow that's amazing! My very first Disney encounter was my Graduation trip to DL! Never been the same since. And our DD graduates in 2013, so we were headed to Aulani for her trip! Great minds think alike!

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: