Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #376
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that
 
brettcw23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 806

BTW...my wait list pulled through.
Got a week at BWV with Garden\Pool View. We are SUPER excited.
__________________
Brett
Me(38) DW(39) DD9 DD6
DVC Member March 2011
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #377
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 12,521

We are now in a 1 BR at OKW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
I tried to post a link here to a really useful DVC resale listing site, but it appears that that site has been banned by the powers that be here. So if you're interested, check in at the other place, and I'll post about it there.
Good link. I've went thru the TimeShare store - the sponsor here. They have been great to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
What does this mean exactly?


What is this behind the scene inventory that you speak of?

Yeah, seems like the obvious upside is cost. Both of my contracts are for September UY. I'd only buy resale if I could buy for the same UY. I'm kicking myself now for not being more aware of things. I had no idea we'd have issues finding resorts at the 7 month mark. I love out DVC rep, but he never said a word about resort availability.
You are already a customer, so maybe they wouldn't offer it to you. DVC has to keep a certain % of rooms un-booked for cash paying customers. If you are a new buyer and trying to get a room at BLT. And, you say, I would really buy 150 points from you at $150 per point, but I really want to get a room THIS DATE at BLT. While it would show booked for us, the new purchasing member would find a room open.

I have a September and a June UY. I use my June UY points in October and my Sept UY points in April and never have to worry about those banking/borrowing / holding points stuff. I do think Sept is the best UY for anyone with school age children, as worst case scenario, you have the entire summer to get a trip in before losing the points.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #378
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that
 
brettcw23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 806

Thank you for the explanation! For this trip I just used my banked points and 59 from our 2013 UT. So off the top of my head, I have 147 points left at BLT in 2013. We'll bank those bad boys and probably book a year out at BLT using our 2014 points (180). It's funny b\c we just booked for October 2013 and we're already mapping out the next stay!

We had done trips in March (2007), April (2010), end of Feb\March (2011), March (2012) then we switched to Fall (November 2012). I like the Fall better, but I was a fan of Spring just b\c of Winter weather and cabin fever in Pittsburgh!
__________________
Brett
Me(38) DW(39) DD9 DD6
DVC Member March 2011
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #379
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 12,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
Thank you for the explanation! For this trip I just used my banked points and 59 from our 2013 UT. So off the top of my head, I have 147 points left at BLT in 2013. We'll bank those bad boys and probably book a year out at BLT using our 2014 points (180). It's funny b\c we just booked for October 2013 and we're already mapping out the next stay!

We had done trips in March (2007), April (2010), end of Feb\March (2011), March (2012) then we switched to Fall (November 2012). I like the Fall better, but I was a fan of Spring just b\c of Winter weather and cabin fever in Pittsburgh!
Do you all do 1 BR each trip or take family with you? We can get by with the two trips a year if we do studios and rotate in a week every now and then at OKW for October trip and HHI for a Spring Break trip. We prefer HHI to WDW during Easter Week, but tried too late to get it this year.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #380
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that
 
brettcw23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 806

Anyone here do Vero Beach? DW and I are considering a long weekend there at the end of the summer. We're coming up on our 20 year anniversary.
__________________
Brett
Me(38) DW(39) DD9 DD6
DVC Member March 2011
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #381
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 12,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
Anyone here do Vero Beach? DW and I are considering a long weekend there at the end of the summer. We're coming up on our 20 year anniversary.
I guess your just getting comments from me. We really liked VBR. We did a split stay there one year for the weekend and then drove into WDW. We were thinking about going back there next year.

They have the feature pool with water slide, and next to it is a mini-golf that cost $2. (Never seen Disney prices that low). We had a blast on it. They also have a green space between the storm/ beach wall and the hotel. You can check out stuff and play there. I think we did croquet and another few games. Then, there is the beach access, and the hotel is right on the beach. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the Inn rooms had a really small balcony, and depending on the season, they wanted you to close the blinds so the turtles didn't get confused during birthing season and go to hotel instead of water.

There used to be a VBR chair thread (pass your chair from one DVC member to the next) or you can rent them on the beach. They have a couple restaurants there, although I only remember eating at the one on the ground floor, with a Donald and Goofy character breakfast in the swimsuits. We are Catholic and went to Mass in town (short drive) and ate at Ocean Grill one night. I had a Florida lobster which was good.

There are all the pool games, community hall, firepit and smores, etc like many of the other DVC resorts.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #382
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that
 
brettcw23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
I guess your just getting comments from me. We really liked VBR. We did a split stay there one year for the weekend and then drove into WDW. We were thinking about going back there next year.

They have the feature pool with water slide, and next to it is a mini-golf that cost $2. (Never seen Disney prices that low). We had a blast on it. They also have a green space between the storm/ beach wall and the hotel. You can check out stuff and play there. I think we did croquet and another few games. Then, there is the beach access, and the hotel is right on the beach. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the Inn rooms had a really small balcony, and depending on the season, they wanted you to close the blinds so the turtles didn't get confused during birthing season and go to hotel instead of water.

There used to be a VBR chair thread (pass your chair from one DVC member to the next) or you can rent them on the beach. They have a couple restaurants there, although I only remember eating at the one on the ground floor, with a Donald and Goofy character breakfast in the swimsuits. We are Catholic and went to Mass in town (short drive) and ate at Ocean Grill one night. I had a Florida lobster which was good.

There are all the pool games, community hall, firepit and smores, etc like many of the other DVC resorts.
LOL...aside from being the F&W snack guru, you apparently are my DISDad DVC mentor!

thanks for all the details. We figured we have points, we want to just chill in a beach-y sunny place, so decided the VBR sounded like a good option for a 3-4 day excursion sans kids.
__________________
Brett
Me(38) DW(39) DD9 DD6
DVC Member March 2011
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #383
NWDAD
DIS Veteran
 
NWDAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Do you all do 1 BR each trip or take family with you? We can get by with the two trips a year if we do studios and rotate in a week every now and then at OKW for October trip and HHI for a Spring Break trip. We prefer HHI to WDW during Easter Week, but tried too late to get it this year.
Now that DD is 11 we usually do a 1br for privecy.

Kevin.
__________________
DVC since 1997 - OKW, 2010 - BLT, 2012 - VGF
1st DCL Cruise Alaska Disney Wonder 5/24/2010
Fantasy 12/8/2012-Western, 12/15/2012-Eastern
Wonder 5/27/2013-Alaska
Magic 1/27/2014
Magic 11/12/2014-Southern
Magic 11/18/2014- SJ to PC repo
DIS Dad's Club Member 685
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #384
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 12,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDAD View Post
Now that DD is 11 we usually do a 1br for privecy.

Kevin.
That's my worry. Mine are just now 11 & 8. We had been doing two trips a year - either both to WDW or one to WDW and one to the beach (HHI or VBR). They were both in studios. With this one week in the 1 BR and having the extra privacy, space, washer/dryer - will we be able to go back to studios.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #385
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that
 
brettcw23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
That's my worry. Mine are just now 11 & 8. We had been doing two trips a year - either both to WDW or one to WDW and one to the beach (HHI or VBR). They were both in studios. With this one week in the 1 BR and having the extra privacy, space, washer/dryer - will we be able to go back to studios.
We've done 1BR and last trip was 2BR b\c we took my MIL. Since we normally only do 1x year, we are okay with using the points on a 1BR. I know a lot of people that have run into the "We need privacy for a kid." situation.
__________________
Brett
Me(38) DW(39) DD9 DD6
DVC Member March 2011
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #386
NWDAD
DIS Veteran
 
NWDAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
That's my worry. Mine are just now 11 & 8. We had been doing two trips a year - either both to WDW or one to WDW and one to the beach (HHI or VBR). They were both in studios. With this one week in the 1 BR and having the extra privacy, space, washer/dryer - will we be able to go back to studios.
Once you have the larger kitchen and in some the 2 bath it is hard to go back to a studio.

Kevin
__________________
DVC since 1997 - OKW, 2010 - BLT, 2012 - VGF
1st DCL Cruise Alaska Disney Wonder 5/24/2010
Fantasy 12/8/2012-Western, 12/15/2012-Eastern
Wonder 5/27/2013-Alaska
Magic 1/27/2014
Magic 11/12/2014-Southern
Magic 11/18/2014- SJ to PC repo
DIS Dad's Club Member 685
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #387
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 12,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDAD View Post
Once you have the larger kitchen and in some the 2 bath it is hard to go back to a studio.

Kevin
We did a 3 night holiday weekend trip at SSR. The 1 BR was amazing. I can only imagine the 2 bathroom would be even better. We managed to return to studios, and had 2 more years of two trips per. I guess that made it better. I'm thinking you will be right after this October trip.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #388
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 12,521

Did anyone do the last webcast and get the new print? I have the three prints now. Eventually, I'll get them framed and hung on the walls.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #389
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight
 
scott2997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,651

So I'm back to debating on jumping on a 200 pt DVC contract at BLT for use every other year.

If we used our points for a vacation in either March or April - what would be the best "Use Year" for the contract?

I'm looking a February UY contract.
__________________
Me DW DD6 DD4




Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1989
scott2997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #390
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 12,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
So I'm back to debating on jumping on a 200 pt DVC contract at BLT for use every other year.

If we used our points for a vacation in either March or April - what would be the best "Use Year" for the contract?

I'm looking a February UY contract.
February will work, if they have one. There are some months that do not have a UY. September would be the furthest back you want to go. Since you could bank at 7 months, that would be end of April. You have to cancel a reservation 30 days before the trip, otherwise the points go into a holding account that have to be used by the end of that original UY. Are you looking to buy a 200 point contract for a 400 point stay every other year?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.