Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
pjacobi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 834

Tips on Eurostar

Here are two other tour companies that provide tours of London and Paris:

http://www.goldentours.com/
http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk/train-tours.htm

If you want Eurostar tickets, books as far in advance to get the best possible prices at http://www.eurostar.com. Eurostar ticket prices increase dramatically as seats fill up, like airline tickets! If you are within 60 days of trip, check with tour companies that may have Eurostar "tour" packages cheeper than tickets available through the Eurostar site because they are trying to sell off a block of seats.


-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #17
blondietink
DIS Veteran
 
blondietink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western New York State
Posts: 1,723

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Stonehenge unless you can get a sunrise tour (or another tour) where you can actually walk among the stones. Since they built the fences, it really takes away the impact of the place, IMHO.
__________________
Barb
blondietink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
pjacobi
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 834

Avebury

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Stonehenge unless you can get a sunrise tour (or another tour) where you can actually walk among the stones. Since they built the fences, it really takes away the impact of the place, IMHO.
Yes, the fence at Stonehenge is a distraction.

Alternatively, to walk among the stones, I suggest a stop at Avebury Stone circle which is open at any time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

Mad Max provides van tours of both Stonehenge and Avebury from Bath.
http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/


-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
kristilew
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 1,841

ITA about the Museum Pass in Paris. This does get you to the front of the line, and covers so many places you'll want to see. Plus, we visited some places we never would have without it, such as a wonderful little museum about hospitals. we were able to do an extra stop each day since we could skip the lines, too.
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #20
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,555

We were in England last year. I think London and the environs is totally doable on your own. If you want to hook into a tour for transportation or other factors, many hotels have info on day trips and tours. Tons of options for tours in London or outside of town. And London itself is easy enough to get around. Even my dh -- who is a very nervous traveler -- felt we could have done London on our own.

Stonehenge was definitely on my bucket list and I'm glad I didn't let other people's angst over the fence make me decide not to go. The fence did not bother me in the slightest. And you can't see it in any of my photos. I think the key to Stonehenge is getting there early before the crowds. When we first got there, we were the only people there.

Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
NancyIL
DIS Veteran
 
NancyIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 23,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
Yes, the fence at Stonehenge is a distraction.

Alternatively, to walk among the stones, I suggest a stop at Avebury Stone circle which is open at any time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

Mad Max provides van tours of both Stonehenge and Avebury from Bath.
http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/


-Paul
I did the Mad Max tour from Bath last July, and it was great. I was expecting a BIG FENCE at Stonehenge. Instead, it was a little rope around the perimeter of the stones that I didn't find at all distracting. Avebury is much larger, but the stones are spread over such a large area that you'd need to view it from the air to see all of it.

I am sorry I'll just be passing through the UK as I change planes at Heathrow next May.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #22
*WDW*Groupie*
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TO Canada & Boca Raton FL
Posts: 187

We just completed the 11 night Med Cruise with the ABD add-on.

I can't say enough good things about ABD. They are first class all the way. Even the little details are taken care of -- like putting a bottle of soap in the restroom in Gozo because they didn't have any. I LOVE LOVE LOVED them always taking family photos - that was worth so much to me. And they could always make the kids smile (which I somehow cannot seem to do )!! Also, my dd made a great friend on the trip, which really helped get us through the intensive touring cities like Rome. My ds made a few great friends as well. We had such a great group of people traveling with us and we enjoyed seeing them every day. I have just mentioned a few little things ABD did - there is so so so much more they do on a grander scale. Although we had a great time touring Barcelona for 3 days on our own before the cruise, I really, really enjoyed having everything planned for us with ABD.

I definitely plan on doing an ABD adventure next year (I am anxiously awaiting the 2012 itineraries!). I will add 2 or 3 days before and after the trip so we can explore the cities on our own and see sights that ABD might not cover.

Also, I can't say enough good things about Dreams Unlimited Travel. First class organization. I will use them to book our trip next summer without a doubt.
__________________

*WDW*Groupie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,286
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WDW*Groupie* View Post
We just completed the 11 night Med Cruise with the ABD add-on.

I can't say enough good things about ABD. They are first class all the way. Even the little details are taken care of -- like putting a bottle of soap in the restroom in Gozo because they didn't have any. I LOVE LOVE LOVED them always taking family photos - that was worth so much to me. And they could always make the kids smile (which I somehow cannot seem to do )!! Also, my dd made a great friend on the trip, which really helped get us through the intensive touring cities like Rome. My ds made a few great friends as well. We had such a great group of people traveling with us and we enjoyed seeing them every day. I have just mentioned a few little things ABD did - there is so so so much more they do on a grander scale. Although we had a great time touring Barcelona for 3 days on our own before the cruise, I really, really enjoyed having everything planned for us with ABD.

I definitely plan on doing an ABD adventure next year (I am anxiously awaiting the 2012 itineraries!). I will add 2 or 3 days before and after the trip so we can explore the cities on our own and see sights that ABD might not cover.

Also, I can't say enough good things about Dreams Unlimited Travel. First class organization. I will use them to book our trip next summer without a doubt.
*WDW*Groupie*, I totally agree with what you say about ABD and the Med add-on! I'm so glad you enjoyed the trip, and are joining us in the anxious wait for next year's itineraries!

Will you be doing a report?

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #24
*WDW*Groupie*
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TO Canada & Boca Raton FL
Posts: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

Will you be doing a report?

Sayhello
If I could figure out how to post a picture and thought it might interest anyone, I would to it!

I'm still waiting for a few photos to arrive in the mail!!
__________________

*WDW*Groupie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.