Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Luv2CtheMouse
DIS Veteran

I have read all of them - it is like a car wreck - you shouldnt look, but you cant help it. The books are not that good. The writer has a weak style; he is no Rowling or Lewis. He makes note to one of the boys being "a black kid" a lot which I find annoying and also shows this kid to have horrible language and a terrible attitude. He pretty much describes him as ghetto, which I find offensive.
Luv2CtheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
tish9774
Mouseketeer

What??

They have the second book on mp3, which they aren't loaning out yet (not sure why they didn't get a book-who wants to listen to it?).[/QUOTE]

You must not have listened to a book read by Jim Dale! He reads all the Harry Potter books, as well as Peter and the Star catchers. The man is so amazing that you get totally lost in the books. He single handedly turned me into an audio book lover!
Back on topic, I started reading Kingdom Keepers to my daughter last night. The first few chapters are cute. We'll see how she feels by the end of the book.

Seriously, get an audio book read by Jim Dale (he even does Peter Pan and Around the World in 80 Days), you won't be sorry!
Tish
5/11 @ POFQ for Emily's 5th Birthday

12/11 @ POP and MVMCP

4/12 @ POR Royal Princess Room and Bryan's 40th
10/13 @ Art of Animation (Lion King) and MNSSHP with the Friedman boys!!!
tish9774 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
They have the second book on mp3, which they aren't loaning out yet (not sure why they didn't get a book-who wants to listen to it?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tish9774 View Post
You must not have listened to a book read by Jim Dale! He reads all the Harry Potter books, as well as Peter and the Star catchers. The man is so amazing that you get totally lost in the books. He single handedly turned me into an audio book lover!
Back on topic, I started reading Kingdom Keepers to my daughter last night. The first few chapters are cute. We'll see how she feels by the end of the book.

Seriously, get an audio book read by Jim Dale (he even does Peter Pan and Around the World in 80 Days), you won't be sorry!
Tish
I'm sorry, I like to read my books! Another annoying thing is they don't have the first one on mp3, so really what a waste.

Good news, I just requested them to purchase approx. a month ago and it looks like they are going to arrive soon. I already requested all of them so hopefully they come in soon.

I did notice some mistakes in the book, it was when they were in MK and only a certain # of children where there and they had one more/one less child than there should have been.

Also in the Starcatcher books, there was another mistake or they didn't tell us how more star stuff was added to the locket. In one book it was empty and the next it now contained some.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
familydisney
Mouseketeer

My sons and I are big fans...we are on the 2nd one now since they are hard to find in our library system. Sure, they aren't literary masterpieces, but they are wildly adventurous and entertaining. They appeal to boys as well as girls, which most book series don't.

In addition, there is a web site that has an interactive game plus forums, video games, etc. My kids were ecstatic to find it. They wanted to meet Ridley Pearson but it didn't work out. Apparently they are doing a Kingdom Keepers scavenger hunt type thing but only for big groups and schools in Florida...?

I definitely think your son will like the books, but they are a little creepy. My youngest held onto my arm a few times, but good triumphs and that's the main thing.

I personally didn't get any negative vibe about the CMs...well the ones who were human. I also don't see a negative slant put on Maybeck...the opposite. He's the cool guy, whereas Philby is the nerd and Finn is the "hero".

The books are not much more than entertainment and a way to live the Disney Magic at home while expanding Disney's audience. If you think about it, the major audience of the parks is pretty young. These are aimed at a young adult audience to make the parks still cool and hip instead of "just for little kids". Smart move, overall.
familydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #20
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

I wanted to like the books so much more than I did. I am a big reader, especially of YA lit and I thought this series was TERRIBLE. The writing is very weak and the book is littered with huge holes and errors. I just don't get the love for this series, it was very disappointing.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #21
glammadiva
DIS Veteran

I agree about the writing style and the mistakes. I thought I was the only one! However, the books are fun and I will never look at IASW in the same way again--lol!! I've read all 4 and am a grandmother.
glammadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #22
drinkme
DIS Veteran

I agree that the writing is horrible.

The reader for the audio book version of Kingdom Keepers is NO Jim Dale. I agree that Jim Dale is amazing. The audiobook reader for KK is about as bad as the writing...lol.
drinkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2CtheMouse View Post
The books are not that good. The writer has a weak style...
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
I wanted to like the books so much more than I did. I am a big reader, especially of YA lit and I thought this series was TERRIBLE. The writing is very weak and the book is littered with huge holes and errors. I just don't get the love for this series, it was very disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glammadiva View Post
I agree about the writing style and the mistakes. I thought I was the only one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
I agree that the writing is horrible.
They make a big deal about how much assistance the author had from Disney Cast Members...
but the errors... the SO obvious, major errors... are astounding for anyone familiar with even the basics of WDW.

One glaring miscue...
He makes a point of describing how the kids are riding the monorail to the Studios.
Are you KIDDING me?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
jodilinton
Mouseketeer

I have the series and I love it! I read everything that I can get my hands on that is Disney related!

jodilinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #25
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Yeah, there are mistakes, but it sure didn't keep me from reading all 4 of them.

They're fun to read, it is a fictional book, but the fact that it is set inside the parks and involves some of the popular Disney Villains, characters and rides makes it something worth reading. It always helps me out when I feel like I need a little Disney.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Yeah, there are mistakes, but it sure didn't keep me from reading all 4 of them.

They're fun to read, it is a fictional book, but the fact that it is set inside the parks and involves some of the popular Disney Villains, characters and rides makes it something worth reading. It always helps me out when I feel like I need a little Disney.
I don't mind any of the "artistic license" kind of fanciful plotting...
that's what makes the stories fun.

But, they need to fit within the real, known framework of the place we all know so well.

The big mistakes are simply the careless mistakes.
Like carefully, detailing the kids' turn-by-turn floating, splashing along in the water-trough trackways of Splash Mountain...
only to COMPLETELY IGNORE the all-important, "lift hill" before the big drop.
The author (Ridley Pearson) just didn't seem to know that it is there.
One of the absolutely most significant sections of Splash Mountain...
the huge, lump-in-your-throat build-up to the climax of the ride...
a great opportunity to build suspense in the book...
and Pearson just doesn't even acknowledge that the lift-hill is there.

Those kind of errors/omissions that nearly any of us here could have easily pointed out, and have been corrected (with so little trouble) by the author.

Poor quality editing.
A sign of sloppy writing
(or simply not caring enough to even ask someone who knows.)

If a news reporter had made any of the errors of geography or ride design in a report on WDW, we'd be all over her/him about it.

I feel the same about someone who makes the overt claim (spells it out in the promotion of the books) to have spent much time in the parks, gone behind-the-scenes with free-reign, and had the
help of many experienced CM's during the writing.

If it doesn't bother anyone else, that's cool.
I just found it so disappointing that Pearson appeared not to care.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
amym2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieeee View Post
Thanks for all the replies. My DS 10 is pretty mature and I think he should be okay with the scary stuff but I will warn him (of course, this may give him MORE reason to want to read them, lol!). If he reads this series and enjoys it, I will recommend the other series (Neverland/Starcatcher).
I only made it halfway through the first book, and I didn't really find it scary. It was creepy in the sense that it was making "The Happiest Place on Earth" not seem happy at all. I just couldn't deal with that!
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #28
wolf29
DIS Veteran

My kids and I have read the first 3 together and are awaiting the fourth. We find them very entertaining, especially being familiar with the places where the stories occur. I don't worry so much about the flaws, just enjoy the books.
wolf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #29
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I feel the same about someone who makes the overt claim (spells it out in the promotion of the books) to have spent much time in the parks, gone behind-the-scenes with free-reign, and had the
help of many experienced CM's during the writing.

If it doesn't bother anyone else, that's cool.
I just found it so disappointing that Pearson appeared not to care.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I still think they're a fun read though.

You're absolutely right though about some of these obvious mistakes. I just never really thought about from the standpoint that he made claims about the research and yet still managed to get the details wrong.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #30
DaniB
DIS Veteran

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes these books.

From a kid's point of view, yes I can see how they are exciting books.

From an adult's point of view (more to the point - mine), weak writing style, lack of attention to detail and yes - I didn't like his attitude towards CMs either.

I was so excited to find out about this series. But so let down after reading the 1st book. This could have been an amazing series! What a shame.

Sept 14-23, 2010 - 9 nights CSR 1st family vacation (w/ free DDP)
DaniB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: