Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Power of 10 - DIS Events to Benefit GKTW
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #91
TSWJan78
DIS Veteran

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Hi Everyone,

Just clarifing that you should NOT but tickets from Cinema World online. You can buy tickets at the door which is why it is important that if you commit to a number than that is how many people you bring as there are only 215 seats. My goal is to fill all 215 so if something changes please let me know so we can open your seat up to someone else.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #92
linnell
DIS Veteran

I am actually staying at the coco key resort this weekend for a conference, I can let you know how it is when I get back on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninecrayons View Post
To those staying over, what hotels are you looking at?

I'm torn between staying at the Coco Key Resort or trying to stay slightly closer to Boston.

I'm also planning to visit Boston a bit, as well as the Adams National Historical site in Quincy so any place convenient to that would be awesome.

linnell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #93
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSWJan78 View Post
My goal is to fill all 215 so if something changes please let me know so we can open your seat up to someone else.
So that means we have to move all the way across the row filling in each and every seat?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #94
MelissaFromRI
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow , shining at the end of everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
So that means we have to move all the way across the row filling in each and every seat?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #95
tiggerplus5
Mouseketeer

Saima Park is a great idea. Best western Cocoa Key and the Sheraton have banquet facilities. A outdoor cookout does sound better on July 4th weekend. These are just some more ideas.

SeanPatrickscatering.com has a hot dog/hamburger cookout that is under $10. We've used Sean Patricks for other events at work and they are reasonable. The food is typical catering fare. We had turkey and lasagna around the holidays last year. Everyone was pleased with the food quality.

For big events at work, we've ordered subs from Subway. Another time, Boston Market gave us a great deal on a half of chicken, one side and cornbread because we were a nonprofit. Not sure what they would do for gktw.

I would not suggest cooking. We've done it for 100 and it was a lot of work! Imagine 200! I can offer the use of my grill but not at my house. I don't have the room and we only have one bathroom! But whatever the decision, I can definitely help.
1972-offsite-Holiday Inn -- 1979-DaysInn -- 1981-Fort Wilderness Trailers -- 1991-Fort Wilderness -- 1997-Carribean Beach -- 1999-offsite --2000- Indian Ridge Oaks vacation home--2001-Kissimmee vacation home-- 2004-Amerisuites -- 2006-Lindfields vacation villa--2008-Lindfields vacation villa --2009-Clermont vacation villa -- 2010-Pop Century --2011-Clermont vacation villa --2013--Sheraton Vistana Resort

tiggerplus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #96
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerplus5 View Post
Saima Park is a great idea. Best western Cocoa Key and the Sheraton have banquet facilities. A outdoor cookout does sound better on July 4th weekend. These are just some more ideas.

SeanPatrickscatering.com has a hot dog/hamburger cookout that is under $10. We've used Sean Patricks for other events at work and they are reasonable. The food is typical catering fare. We had turkey and lasagna around the holidays last year. Everyone was pleased with the food quality.

For big events at work, we've ordered subs from Subway. Another time, Boston Market gave us a great deal on a half of chicken, one side and cornbread because we were a nonprofit. Not sure what they would do for gktw.

I would not suggest cooking. We've done it for 100 and it was a lot of work! Imagine 200! I can offer the use of my grill but not at my house. I don't have the room and we only have one bathroom! But whatever the decision, I can definitely help.
I agree with no cooking! I like the idea of the catered hamburger/hot dog cookout. If that was available then everyone could bring something too and it would help keep the cost down. The gathering at a park will allow kids to run around, a place to set up the auction/raffle stuff and an opportunity to mingle. Also, I was wondering if we should prepay to make the day easier for Tara? This sounds like so much fun, I can't wait

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #97
3DisneyKids

I'm having an out-of-body experience
I'll have to experiment on DH's computer
I am so lovin' you right now

Count us in for 4 seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnell View Post
I am actually staying at the coco key resort this weekend for a conference, I can let you know how it is when I get back on Monday.

I definitely do NOT recommend this particular Cocoa Key. We were there about 8 weeks ago. Talk about dirty! Our room was DISGUSTING and it had clearly been cleaned. There were just stains on absolutely everything, and the furniture was trashed. We were there with several families, so we had 4 rooms in our party and each was equally gross. We had 12 kids with us, ranging in age from 2 - 12.

As for the water park...it was fine. Appropriate for kids aged 4-10ish. Our 12 year old (who is a water park enthusiast), got bored fairly quickly. None of the adults in our party went on any of the slides (and again, we all love water parks)...none of the slides seemed to be "adult friendly." Not due to size, but just due to the fact that there were no adults in the water...it just seemed "wrong" somehow. Some folks did the lazy river. In fact, even with the kids, the lazy river was the favorite thing there.

July should be considered off season and thus not so crowded. If it IS booked due to the holiday, I definitely recommend getting one of the private cabanas. They are nice, roomy, have flat screen tvs, and make a world of difference. The cheapest (and smallest) ones are $50 for the whole day and easily work for 2 families together.

3DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #98
BilltM
Dizfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
and no flash photography during the movie.

BILL
BilltM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 AM   #99
disney4dan
DIS Veteran

We are really looking forward to this, we'll be heading out to WDW one month later in August so we should be bouncing off the walls by July 2!

Regarding the cookout, I know that there are some local catering companies that actually have large charcoal BBQ pits made on customized trailers. I've not been to one recently, but they were pretty good.

The photos of Saima Park look nice - my grandmother would be proud as an "import" from the land of Finns, she tried to keep us up on our Finnish heritage. I mostly remember a few choice Finnish words that I picked up as a young kid that my parents didn't want me to repeat.

I would just like to remind folks if you are thinking of getting a hotel near Boston, they get CRAZY busy for the 4th of July. The festivities will be worth it, but plan accordingly.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #100
BilltM
Dizfan

Sorry John, but the geographic center of MA is in Rutland. Not Fitchburg. Just sayin ...

BILL
BilltM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #101
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilltM View Post
and no flash photography during the movie.
But don't put on your Opry' glasses until Goofy tells you!

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #102
ninecrayons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyKids View Post
Count us in for 4 seats!

I definitely do NOT recommend this particular Cocoa Key. We were there about 8 weeks ago. Talk about dirty! Our room was DISGUSTING and it had clearly been cleaned. There were just stains on absolutely everything, and the furniture was trashed. We were there with several families, so we had 4 rooms in our party and each was equally gross. We had 12 kids with us, ranging in age from 2 - 12.

As for the water park...it was fine. Appropriate for kids aged 4-10ish. Our 12 year old (who is a water park enthusiast), got bored fairly quickly. None of the adults in our party went on any of the slides (and again, we all love water parks)...none of the slides seemed to be "adult friendly." Not due to size, but just due to the fact that there were no adults in the water...it just seemed "wrong" somehow. Some folks did the lazy river. In fact, even with the kids, the lazy river was the favorite thing there.

July should be considered off season and thus not so crowded. If it IS booked due to the holiday, I definitely recommend getting one of the private cabanas. They are nice, roomy, have flat screen tvs, and make a world of difference. The cheapest (and smallest) ones are $50 for the whole day and easily work for 2 families together.
Thanks for the advice - DH gets a corporate rate at the Marriot, so I think I'm going to end up staying in Woburn. It's pretty much equidistant between Fitchburg and Quincy.

I'm so excited for this weekend! Not only am I excited for the meet, but I'm a total history nerd and cannot wait to tour the John Adams homestead!

"and then the world, / which is round and has only / the colors of these nine crayons" - Margaret Atwood

ninecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #103
TSWJan78
DIS Veteran

Burlington, Newton or Waltham are also good locations and straight shots to Fitchburg, Quincy, Concord and Boston with nice Marriotts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninecrayons View Post
Thanks for the advice - DH gets a corporate rate at the Marriot, so I think I'm going to end up staying in Woburn. It's pretty much equidistant between Fitchburg and Quincy.

I'm so excited for this weekend! Not only am I excited for the meet, but I'm a total history nerd and cannot wait to tour the John Adams homestead!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #104
TSWJan78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilltM View Post
Sorry John, but the geographic center of MA is in Rutland. Not Fitchburg. Just sayin ...
And Rutland really is the middle of nowhere!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #105
MelissaFromRI
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow , shining at the end of everyday

Please add me to the Talking about coming but not committed yet list.
If I'm able to make it , I'll either be a party of 2 or a party of 3 , depending on who wants to join me

Thanks for arranging this

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: