Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
mdvasquez
DVC Member

Sailing on Disney with a child who has food allergies

We are looking to sail with Disney this February. This will be our 11th cruise with them, however it will be our first since finding out this summer that my 7 yr old DD is allergic to gluten and all dairy. Has anyone sailed with Disney that has had food allergies, or a child with food allergies? How was it? Was it easy to get foods you could eat? How about the desserts? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Oct. 2003 - 2nd Halloween on the Magic - Western, March 2004 - 5 night W. Caribbean NCL, Oct. 2004 - 3rd Halloween on the Magic - Eastern, April 2005 - 9 night S.Caribbean NCL
Sept. 2006 - 10 night S.Caribbean on the Wonder, Dec. 18th, 2008 - 3 night Disney Wonder
April 10, 2010 - 14 night EBTA on the Magic, Jan 26,2010 - Disney Dream Maiden Voyage.Feb. 26, 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera on the Wonder, July 11, 2013 - 3 night Bahama on the Dream
mdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Aurora's Mommy
Because she's beautiful, when she's asleep!

I'm going to refer you to an article on another website:

http://www.passporter.com/articles/d...uten-free.html

WDW and DCL are some of the best ways to travel if you have food allergies. You should have no problems.

Denise
DCL - 2009 POP - 2008 DCL - 2006 WL - 2004Poly - 2002 BV - 2000 CBR - 1991 Offsite - 1987
Aurora's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
luvmykids
Mouseketeer

We went on the cruise with my son who is allergic to shell fish, fin fish, and tree nuts and my niece who is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts and they were wonderful. They were on top of everything and the kids always had a choice of what to eat.
luvmykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
mdvasquez
DVC Member

Thank you!!!!
Oct. 2003 - 2nd Halloween on the Magic - Western, March 2004 - 5 night W. Caribbean NCL, Oct. 2004 - 3rd Halloween on the Magic - Eastern, April 2005 - 9 night S.Caribbean NCL
Sept. 2006 - 10 night S.Caribbean on the Wonder, Dec. 18th, 2008 - 3 night Disney Wonder
April 10, 2010 - 14 night EBTA on the Magic, Jan 26,2010 - Disney Dream Maiden Voyage.Feb. 26, 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera on the Wonder, July 11, 2013 - 3 night Bahama on the Dream
mdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
cticret
Retired Navy

We've sailed four times with our DGS who is allergic to all nuts and shellfish, and DCL is outstanding. The head servers and servers have been on top of it from the first day. We've even had the chef come out and meet him and let him know that he won't have anything to worry about. They've also asked several times if he would like to pre-order for the next night's meal so they can make sure that everything is okay. You'll have no problems.

Joe Mimi Jonathan
Wonder 4/07, Wonder 8/09, Wonder 4/10, Dream 8/11
cticret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Cptjackandcrew
Mouseketeer

You should all look into NAET. My DD and I were allergic to LOTS of things and were cured through this process. I call the man who does it "the voodoo doctor" although "my life saver" is probably a better title.
Cptjackandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
tomspixie
Our friends got us hooked on the Tortuga Rum Liquer
We have an obnoxious number of points

OP...my 20yo DD has SEVERE Celiacs and DCL is the first place she has truly been able to eat!! They go out of their way to make sure she is safe...the food delicious and plentiful...and that she feels well cared for. She eats better onboard the Disney ships than anywhere else!!! Even the quick service pizza made sure to have GF pizza available to her!! They would see her and our 19yo go by and ask them if they needed her pizza yet. As long as you let them know, Guest Services, your dining room head server, your server and asst. server. Make sure you let quick service pizza know as well...either you order for your GS, or his mom or dad.

They will do great...ENJOY!!!

tomspixie
tomspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
kerrykerr
Mouseketeer

OP - We recently took our first vacation since our DD6 was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. The dining team was fantastic and the food was marvelous! First, make sure that DCL knows you have a guest with CD in your party before you leave. Once onboard, these are my tips:

1. Find your head server and request to see the first night's menu in advance of dinner so that you can pre-order your meal. (We didn't do this on the first day and the process of ordering took a little longer that first night.) Every dinner after that you will be given the next night's menu so that you can pre-order your meal.

2. Introduce yourself to the chef in charge of dining on the pool deck level. This person will walk you through all of the items available each day poolside and in the buffet. On our sailing, the chef made sure there were GF hot dog and hamburger buns brought up from the kitchen each day for us for lunch and if we told him we'd be up there for breakfast, he would prepare pancake batter for DD and thaw some GF donuts and muffins for her.

3. If your DD likes candy/chocolate (M&Ms maybe?) bring some from home because the concession items are not GF. They do have popcorn and M&Ms available for purchase, but they ran out of M&Ms early in the cruise.

4. Hot chocolate at the drink station contained an ingredient that put up a red flag for me. I can't remember what it was, but read the packet first.

Other info:

They had fresh baked (on-site) GF dinner rolls each night for us - warm! Yum! They were very good.

Dessert - Mickey ice cream bars are GF, but ask about the sprinkles. I saw a lot of them coming out with sprinkles poured on top - so be cautious. They had a dessert ready for us on the first night - a delicious hot brownie! After that, they said that if it was alright with us, the chef would make (from scratch) a different GF dessert each night of the cruise and it would be a surprise. What a luxury! They were all fantastic! Sometimes DD would turn her nose up at it, so I got to have two. She would then get a Mickey bar. They made everything from brownies, cakes, rice pudding, apple crisp... So good!

Oh, and they can make GF chicken tenders pretty easily. DD ended up having that for a few nights because she liked them so much. Also, it didn't hurt that they mentioned to her that Chef Mickey made them especially for her.

They can't send food with you on excursions, so pack some Larabars or something for those occasions.

I'm sure DCL will be equally as good with the dairy situation. If your DD is simply not tolerating dairy right now because she's newly diagnosed with CD, you may find that she will be able to consume it again by next year. Many people with celiac are able to re-introduce dairy after their intestine has healed from the damage the gluten caused.

You'll have a blast. Enjoy!

Last edited by kerrykerr; 10-16-2011 at 07:08 PM.
kerrykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
kerrykerr
Mouseketeer

I forgot to mention that the taco shells served by the pool were NOT GF, but the taco meat with beans, french fries, hamburger, and hotdog were safe. Check with the chef once you board though.

There was always lots of fresh fruit and veg available.
kerrykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
BigDisneyOE
DIS Veteran

I'm subscribing to this post as I'm the one with food allergies in our family (anything from the sea, pork, mangos and melons). In recent years we've always travelled independently and stayed in apartments so I can control what I eat, so the cruise line is new territory for me. I guess we'll have to ring DCL via Skype to let them know to add the food allergies to our reservation. I really don't want to end up hospitalized again as I've had something with a dot of something I can't tollerate in the food.

BigDisneyOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

I have a good friend who has 3 children and all of them with very severe allergies. They're diet consists of only gluten and dairy free foods. Needless to say she was very nervous about bringing them on vacation. However, after the cruise she told me that she has never had a better experience with dietary restrictions than at Disney. I know that you have to call the cruiseline ahead of time and let them know about your dietary needs. You should also let your server know again when you get on the cruise. My friend told me that the chef came out and discussed options with them and that they were very happy with the results. This is a lot coming from her, because she is VERY protective of her children and their allergies are so severe that one of them has to have an aid stay with him every day during school to make sure he doesn't come into contact with anything that he's allergic to. (I believe he's in 3rd grade now) Even though I have not personally experienced any dietary restrictions while at Disney or on a Disney Cruise, I have heard from others that there is no better place to be while having to deal with those kinds of issues. I know you'll have a great time and your needs will be taken care of. Just make absolutely sure that you let them know ahead of time AND when you go into the dining room for your meals.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
seemefli
Earning My Ears

Just a note about the dairy since so many great people have already posted info about CD for you (we also had fantastic service in regards to our children's allergies); my kids use Rice Dream on their cereal instead of milk so I packed our own tetra packs b/c it's not a common drink at all and I just assumed they wouldn't have anything like that on the boat. To my surprise, as soon as one of the CM at the buffet saw me with it, he immediately informed us that they carry that and we just had to ask!! It definitely pays to ask, he said they also have almond milk as well if your daughter's not allergic to nuts. Hope that helps!
seemefli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

They also have Rice Dream frozen dessert onboard. It's available in the main dining rooms. Not suitable for those with nut allergies, as it may contain traces, but perfect for dairy allergies! (I'm not sure if it is gluten-free... worth checking out.)

Gluten-free pasta is also available in the dining rooms by request, as are gluten/dairy-free waffles, pancakes, and chocolate cake desserts. Mmm...

Give DCL a call ahead and let them know of the allergies and any special requests you may have for people with allergies who are also very picky eaters (certain brand of milk, particular recipe, etc.) and they will do their best to accommodate. Be sure to check with the dining staff when you board the ship (at the dining changes/Palo reservation place) and confirm that they have your allergies on file.

Happy cruising!
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Juney
Mouseketeer

I know I'm coming in late, but I want to add just a few things.

My daughter is allergic to artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, artificial preservatives. Our cruise in Dec. '09 was amazing. There were three things in particular that happened that I want to share.

Each night we reviewed the menu for the following night and made choices with the help of the chef and our wait-staff. (If I couldn't find anything on the menu, they would try to do any special request. One night the menu didn't appeal to hear at all so they made her a steak and baked potato) When it came time for lunch at Castaway Cay, I couldn't come up with anything. I told our server Ï'd love it if she could just have chicken and fries like every other kid". He spoke to the chef and the next day someone delivered her plate to her on the island. The chicken was obviously hand breaded and the fries were obviously freshly cut potatoes. Wonderful service.

Second thing .. on our first night we called room service to see if there was any kind of snack she could have. We were told they didn't have anything in that kitchen. About 10 minutes someone called us back and said they had a mix for gluten-free, all-natural brownies (probably similar to the Cherrybrook Farms). Not only did they make her fresh brownies which aren't on the menu, but for each night of our cruise they delivered a batch of brownies to her at 10pm without us ever calling again.

Last thing .. I didn't realize until near the end of our cruise that the ships each have a special ällergy kitchen". It is in this galley that all allergy meals are made. I had placed her order the night before. When we sat down our server said the allergy chef had reviewed her order and there were items on her order that she couldn't have. The allergy chef had become familiar with her particular allergies and even after I ordered, he caught the mistake. I was THRILLED!

Anyway, we were so pleased we booked on board. I really appreciate being able to take a 7 day vacation and NOT worry about food. Amazing.
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

WOW!

That is amazing care on the behalf of your Chef and servers that they even took the time and care to double check your order for your Daughter!

DCL really did a great job for you and your Daughter!

5*'s to the Chef, Severs and BellBox CM's!

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: