Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
purse lady
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. My co-workers and I have scheduled a pillow making night. Those that can't sew will cut and iron and hopefully learn to sew! I would like to this a few times a year. This is the perfect way for us to spend some 'fun' time together and while making a difference.
purse lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purse lady View Post
Thanks everyone. My co-workers and I have scheduled a pillow making night. Those that can't sew will cut and iron and hopefully learn to sew! I would like to this a few times a year. This is the perfect way for us to spend some 'fun' time together and while making a difference.
I think the pillow making night is a great idea. I've made a few and it seems like an "assembly line" would be a good idea so you're not always jumping from sewing machine to cutting table to ironing board.

I posted these on the disboutique board, but I'll post them here, too, hopefully to inspire someone to try it.

First set (it makes four at a time)

The second and third sets

Happy sewing!

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
purse lady
Earning My Ears

Hi Ellenbenny,

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm not sure I'll have a chance to test this before my work get together this week so your pictures match the pictures in my head so I feel better about that. Of course, now you have to spill the beans and tell me where you got that Mickey comic fabric. Pretty please?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Ellenbenny,

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm not sure I'll have a chance to test this before my work get together this week so your pictures match the pictures in my head so I feel better about that. Of course, now you have to spill the beans and tell me where you got that Mickey comic fabric. Pretty please?
I'm not Ellen but the fabric came from Joann's. I live in Georgia and looked at the 3 around me and never found any though. I am pretty sure that if you live near Ellen, hers is now out too since she grabbed me some! Love the dis and all the friends I have met on here!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
purse lady
Earning My Ears

Thanks Jessica,

I frequent my local Joann's and have never seen it but it's a small one. I'm gonna search online. You're lucky to get some. I think I have scrapbook paper like that.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
scrapbooksellman
Mouseketeer

Has anyone here ever volunteered at GKTW?

I am so excited by making these pillowcases. I think the girls night is a great idea. After I make some, maybe my girl scouts could help too.
scrapbooksellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #22
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

I sent my first pillowcases to GKTW

Last week I sent my first set of pillowcases to GKTW.

I thought I'd post them here as a reminder to sewers that they're easy and currently needed.

Each yard of fabric makes four pillows so I made ten sets, which is 40 pillows. I see that Joann's has the flannel on sale this coming Saturday, April 30 for $2.49 a yeard. Stock up!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #23
WendyBirdGirl
The Real Life Wendy-Bird

Thank you so much for posting this! I can't wait to try it. If it's a success, I'll be posting an entry about it in my blog as well!

"Seize the moment; Let your fantasies and dreams set sail."
WendyBirdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
purse lady
Earning My Ears

Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to say thanks for the info about the Mickey fabric. I bought some online but not as much as I wanted. We visited relatives out of state for Easter and they have a big Joann's near them. Since I knew the fabric came from there I checked it out and found it there! I was so excited to get what I wanted. Thanks for giving me the info I needed to get it .
Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #25
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to say thanks for the info about the Mickey fabric. I bought some online but not as much as I wanted. We visited relatives out of state for Easter and they have a big Joann's near them. Since I knew the fabric came from there I checked it out and found it there! I was so excited to get what I wanted. Thanks for giving me the info I needed to get it .
Thanks!
Sure thing! I am so glad you were able to get some!! It is the cutest fabric I have seen in a while!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #26
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman View Post
Has anyone here ever volunteered at GKTW?
I volunteer there a couple times a week.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Volunteering at GKTW is on my bucket list. At the present time I live in New York and would have to fly, rent a car, and pay for a hotel (food too, but I eat anyway so that's not an additional expense). I figure for what it would cost to volunteer there for a week they'd be better off if I sent them the money it would cost me. I haven't given up the idea. Some day.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #28
purse lady
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my co-workers and I made 23 pillows last-was supposed to be 24 but we had an oopsy!
I think it went really well but ran into the early morning hours.
We were together about 5 1/2 hrs but I can't really say that was how long it took to make the pillows. We watched recaps of the royal wedding, had alot of conversation, swapped sewing tips etc. There were 4 of us, only two experienced sewers but we did the assembly line technique which helped. Yes we could've moved faster but what we lacked in speed was gained in numbers. Also having the set time to do this was a big factor also. If I were doing this alone at home I may have not even started the pillows and surely what've quit before I did. Honestly, we could've gotten this done much quicker but I'm really happy that I had a good time with friends, FINALLY saw a project thru to the end in a timely manner, and did something nice for someone else.
Thanks for bringing the project to my attention, instructions and tutorials , and helping me locate that great Mickey fabric. You guys are GREAT!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #29
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

23 is a ton and super fun with friends/co-workers!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #30
scrapbooksellman
Mouseketeer

Volunteering there is on my bucket list too! I am trying to figure out a way to make it happen. I live in Maryland so it does invlove a plane tickets. My Aunt lives in Olrando so I may not need hotel or car.

I bought fabric this weekend, hope to sew next weekend.
scrapbooksellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: