Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstammy824 View Post
Bumping back up to the top.

Another Question: We will be extending our trip into Paris after our ABD ends. Would it be easier to do some laundry in Munich or to just pack more? What should we expect to pay to wash and dry one load?
The hotel in Munich is on a main street, across from Old Town--and I don't recall a laundromat in that area. The hotel probably has a service,but I bet it is pretty expensive--we have found that the more expensive the hotel,the more you have to pay for things (like here--the cheaper hotels seem to offer free wifi, but the more expensive places charge).

As for wifi--there are plenty of coffee shops etc in the area, so I bet you can find a free hotspot; the only problem with that is that you are likely to get something in German!

At the Munich hotel, there were wifi booths on the first floor but I think there was a charge for that--and as another poster noted, there are charges for cable.

The hotel is just down the street from the Residenz--we didn't tour it as part of the ABD time, so did it on our own and it was definately worth it!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
zmanandshan
Mouseketeer

Hi MissTammy,

I have been to both Munich area and Heidelberg area more than a few times in the last few years, unfortunately for work, though. Heading back to Munich area in June (A day after I return from DW with the family). Munich is nice, as PP mentions Oktoberfest is not the best time to see Munich at its prime, esp last year during the 200th year anniversary. Local coworkers say most arent even Germans. I went during what my German colleagues call "Italian week" in 2009. It was fun, but was there last year but stayed away. Not sure how packed your days will be but if you are left to somewhat schedule your own events, check out Mikes Bike Tours. The owner was originally from the US and caters to English speaking tourists, and I know some folks who have done the tour and liked it, although I didnt due to the weather. Also, I have taken the Dauchau Concentration camp tour as it is close to the Munich airport where I rented the car. But I saw many tour buses coming in, so they obviously cater to large crowds too. It was extremely moving. You can choose a self-guided audio tour (English) which I did, which was 3.5 Euros, plus I think it was a 10 Euro deposit which you get back when your return it. A guided tour is also avail which you would go with a group, but they only do one or two tours per day in English.

As far as Heidleberg, I work in Mannheim which is a quick train ride away. Mannheim is an area where there is a lot of shopping, but prices are high (norm for pretty much all of Europe I found). Heidleberg castle is pretty cool. It's a somewhat challenging walk up to it, so wear comfortable shoes. It is free to walk up to it and around it, but there is a charge to enter the courtyard and into the open areas of the castle. They were doing some renovations on the castle so not all of it may be accessible. But its a beautiful view nonetheless. The city itself is really cool. A good variety of restaurants, pubs, etc. We went into a pub there that had a tree growing in the middle of it and did some sort of flaming shots. Went with a German colleague who knew the area. Most notable restaurant was where we were served the largest platter of meat I ever saw. Not sure what all of it was, but it was great. I can try to look back at my records if you are interested in the names of the restaurants. There are also many bars which legally sell absinthe, a high proof liquor which is rumored to have psychoactive properties. This appeared to be all the rave for younger tourists.

Either way, I know you will enjoy your time. I have found the local German folks in Bavarian region to be extremely polite, helpful and tolerant of us Americans. If you havent already, I'd suggest learning a few basic German phrases which is even more appreciated as it shows at least an attempt at respecting their culture. I went so far to start taking lessons on Rosetta Stone as I am there fairly often and enjoy it there so much.

Enjoy!!!

JUN 2011 Beach Club Villas
OCT 2010 Bay Lake Tower
MAY 2008 Wilderness Lodge
Offsite: FEB 2001, AUG 1998, MAY 1996, NOV 1987, NOV 1985, NOV 1983
zmanandshan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
Wilsonfamily4
DIS Veteran

Can I jump in on this?

We are planning on visiting Munich next August and I am just starting the planning. Is it fairly easy to get around Munich area without a car? Good public transportation? I have looked at getting a German Railpass but wasn't sue if just looking at local transportation around the city might be best.

THANK YOU
Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
zmanandshan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonfamily4 View Post
Can I jump in on this?

We are planning on visiting Munich next August and I am just starting the planning. Is it fairly easy to get around Munich area without a car? Good public transportation? I have looked at getting a German Railpass but wasn't sue if just looking at local transportation around the city might be best.

THANK YOU
Public transportation is good, esp within city limits. It still depends on where you want to go, though. If it is on a train route or main bus route, your good. Only reason why I rent a car is b/c my work site is in a smaller village and is not close to the rail station, plus taxis are pricey. Say on average 25-30 Euros in my particular region for about a 10 min taxi ride (no traffic). Weak US dollar doesnt help.

JUN 2011 Beach Club Villas
OCT 2010 Bay Lake Tower
MAY 2008 Wilderness Lodge
Offsite: FEB 2001, AUG 1998, MAY 1996, NOV 1987, NOV 1985, NOV 1983
zmanandshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
marcemch
Mouseketeer

About 10 years ago, I spent a few days in Munich by myself. I took the train from the airport, and stayed at a hotel near the train station (I walked there with a roller suitcase, but cabs were plentiful). When it was too far to walk (many places were close by), I used the subway, or booked tours from the hotel or the tour companies at the train station tourist bureau. I found it a very easy city to get around without a car. As with any foreign city though, it helps to study the subway routes in advance to have an idea where you would get on and off
marcemch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #21
minnie74
Mouseketeer

Bump..who's going????
minnie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #22
misstammy824
Mouseketeer

Bump
Nearing the 45 day mark!
misstammy824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
misstammy824
Mouseketeer

Bumping to the top. I know there were a couple of Disers going on the early June ABD trip. I would LOVE to hear details about the new hotel (Waldeck) and changes to the itinerary since Trendelberg is no longer listed. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #24
misstammy824
Mouseketeer

Bumpity Bump - One week for us! Anyone just return?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstammy824 View Post
Bumpity Bump - One week for us! Anyone just return?
Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #26
justaman
Earning My Ears

I am posting this from our room at the Kempinski Hotel-the wifi is free. In Heidelberg there was a small business center but I did notice a cafe w free wifi across the street on the way to Hauptstrasse.
In Schloss Waldeck (which will knock your socks off!) you could get 15 minutes free. You could buy packages starting from 5€ for an hour on up.
In Rothenburg at Eisenhut you can buy 60 minutes over 24 hours at 5€. Depending on your room location you could use it there or just in the lobby/bar.
As noted Kempinski has free wifi access (i might find out otherwise tomorrow when we checkout )
We enjoyed the Golden Lamb on Hauptstrasse in Heidelberg for lunch on our own.
There was an Italian place in Waldeck some families went to- we opted for the hotel seeing as it's been a few hundred years since the last time we stayed in a castle
Rothenburg had a great beer garden (Reichkussenmeister) that had great pizza (flamkuchen (sp?)) for our meals 5 minutes from the hotel.
In Munich we enjoyed an Italian place (vapiano) that is fun and tasty and just 10 minutes away.
Enjoy your trip!
justaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
misstammy824
Mouseketeer

Thank you, Justaman, for the wifi information. Have you had any difficulty using credit cards or ATM cards?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
justaman
Earning My Ears

No problem with the credit card or ATM (geldautomat) usage. I had already set the pin to 4 numbers before this trip. In Alsfeld you should have a little cash but there is no real time to shop.
The trip to Neuschwanstein (aka Sleeping Beauty castle) is really nice.
justaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #29
misstammy824
Mouseketeer

Can anyone tell me how long it took to receive you photo CD? I'm excited to get mine. This was a fantastic trip!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #30
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

We received the photo CD from our SWS trip this past Wednesday, which was exactly 3 weeks after we got home.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: