Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #211
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

I actually did get in the pool but it was LATE at night. Mostly just to enjoy the warm against the cooler weather. The thing that was nice about the pool at night was if you stood in the middle, you could see a small wave roam across the pool from the right to the left where it pooled a little more where most folks would just rest their feet. I can't tell you how relaxing that was. When I go on the Dream later this year, I plan on posting a pic of the week since it would be more relevant to us.

Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Hi everyone.

I haven't been checking in here much - been busy with life.

We are getting read to cruise on the Norwegian Epic in a few days, very excited about that. Will be interesting to see how it compares to DCL.

And as schimj says... we are KEEPING the nice weather
I'm really curious about your experience. I know my family was thinking about trying them out. Their slides looked interesting. lol. I know that the service will likely be lacking but that is a moot point for some. Have a great trip!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #212
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

It seems like being on a Disney cruise is like going to the parks. No matter how many times you go, there's something more to see and do on your next visit!
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #213
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
I did not go in the pool on PVC 2.0, but I did sit in the hot tub once.
The pool looks odd. Three lap lanes and on either side it looks like it is only a few inches deep. What are you supposed to do in that very shallow area?
I like to sit in the shallow area with a book.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #214
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaks View Post
I'm really curious about your experience. I know my family was thinking about trying them out. Their slides looked interesting. lol. I know that the service will likely be lacking but that is a moot point for some. Have a great trip!
Wondering why you think service will be lacking. Reviews I've read on cruise critic about the Epic have been great on service. Is it just cause you think Disney has way above average service? It is typically good but I have also had some of our worst service issues on DCL as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #215
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wondering why you think service will be lacking. Reviews I've read on cruise critic about the Epic have been great on service. Is it just cause you think Disney has way above average service? It is typically good but I have also had some of our worst service issues on DCL as well.
I've sailed on 5 cruise lines, and the most mediocre dining room servers I had were on 2 of my 3 Disney cruises.

I've never used a cruise ship pool or hot tub. I'll occasionally break out the swimsuit for a beach day, but swimming isn't high on my list of things to do on vacation.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #216
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

I really enjoy reading comments from people about other cruises. I am glad that I am either not really picky or maybe I do not have extremely high standards. I think I would enjoy any service on any cruise.

My first cruise (and only cruise before PCC 2.0) was in around 15 years ago. It was on the Vasco de Gama / Seawind Crown. Yes, it had two names.
It was originally a Portuguese ocean liner that started sailing in 1961. Later turned into a "hotel" cruise ship.

My mother, uncle and I cruised together. They chose it because of the itinerary. We went to Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, and St. Lucia. My mother had been on several other cruises, she said it was a dump, way past its prime. I didn't know any better, I thought it was fabulous! I had seen picturs of the mega-ships that did not look like ships at all. I really liked the classic lines of Vasco de Gama / Seawind Crown and the teak everywhere. It is what I thought a ship would belike. It even had a chapel. Not a multi-pupose auditorium. A real chapel with stained glass windows and the captain did vow renewals.

Any way, I am really looking forward to the Fantasy. And any other cruise that might come my way.

Last edited by mainegal; 04-22-2011 at 09:00 AM.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #217
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
I really enjoy reading comments from people about othe rcruises. I am gald that I am either not really picky or maybe I do not have extremely high standards. I think I would enjoy any service on any cruise.
I'm not that fussy about food or service on a cruise ship. However, many people proclaim how much better the service is on a Disney ship, and that just hasn't been my experience on 2 out of 3 cruises. We had excellent dining room servers on our first Wonder cruise in Jan. 2008, but a lot of times getting good servers is pure luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #218
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

Just some observations based on the current conversations...

The DCL pools are heated. This is an undervalued fact - we recently sailed on the Wonder to Mexican Riviera. It was mid-March - and while our time in Mexico was nice and toasty, at sea was not necessarily warm. But my daughter insisted that swimming must be done - and she did not want to go alone! So, I did my parental duty and went with her. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the water temperature was. Had it been a warm day, I suspect the water would have been too hot.

As for service - I've had great service on many vessels. These boards in particular tend to elevate Disney's service standards to godlike and untouchable standards. While many of the CM's are quite good - in my experience, other lines do just as good a job. Don't get me wrong - there IS a Disney difference - but they don't hold the patent on good service to the exclusion of other lines! I've enjoyed wonderful people on Royal Caribbean, Princess, and <shock!> Carnival

And since we are giving weather reports - sunny and 85 today in North Texas. Sadly the wind is returning, giving fuel to the raging wildfires. We could use some extra rain please - and limited wind!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #219
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Hey everyone. Since we are talking about service....on the Wonder I was very satisfied. Our room steward was outstanding...we couldn't have asked for more....the dining room servers did their job...and did it well....

As for our weather...it's chilly today....but it's suppose to be in the 80s all next week.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy Easter.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #220
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphscott View Post
Just some observations based on the current conversations....

As for service - I've had great service on many vessels. These boards in particular tend to elevate Disney's service standards to godlike and untouchable standards. While many of the CM's are quite good - in my experience, other lines do just as good a job. Don't get me wrong - there IS a Disney difference - but they don't hold the patent on good service to the exclusion of other lines! I've enjoyed wonderful people on Royal Caribbean, Princess, and <shock!> Carnival
I couldn't agree more!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #221
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Anytime I don't have to do the cooking and cleaning ......

So, I guess I'm not tooo picky.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #222
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvlprof View Post
anytime i don't have to do the cooking and cleaning ......

So, i guess i'm not tooo picky.
yes!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #223
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvlprof View Post
Anytime I don't have to do the cooking and cleaning ......

So, I guess I'm not tooo picky.
I am with you there!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #224
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Quote:
I almost didn't write that part considering there is a bias on these boards. If my trip had stayed like the first two days were I don't think I would ever travel on DCL again. That said, things got turned around pretty quickly to make a big enough impression for me to book 2 more. The reason I think DCL could have an advantage is the fact the same server/*** server for your entire stay. I have read mixed reviews about NCL/RCCL but still like to keep an open mind. Especially since we all know that the other lines are cheaper.

I would have posted sooner, but St Louis got hit pretty hard last night by a tornado. I was driving into our station when it landed right on top of where I was driving. What is amazing is that my station is 2 1/2 miles away and it was sustained some damage. I had a couple of the guys ask me why I didn't take pictures while I was on the road. I told them that the power lines where exploding and the poles weer leaning from one side of the road to the other. I kept thinking I was going to be stuck if the lines fell which they didn't. I think the only reason my truck wasn't blown off the road is the road I was on was about 12 feet lower than the dike that was shielding it from the tornado. Its amazing seeing the damage now that one in ST Louis died. Is it cruise time yet?!h
Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #225
mainegal
DIS Veteran

WOW! Scary tornados. Glad you are okay.
I find tornados much scarier than winter blizzards.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: