Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #106
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

I dined with an Imagineer on Monday and the yeti debate popped up and she stated rather confidently that "yes, were working on that" and gave a chuckle. yeti in full motion coming 2012, hopefully...

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #107
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
I dined with an Imagineer on Monday and the yeti debate popped up and she stated rather confidently that "yes, were working on that" and gave a chuckle. yeti in full motion coming 2012, hopefully...
I'll believe it when I see it.
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #108
The_Duke_Knows
Earning My Ears

I know who to blame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I think that this is permanent. There's just no way to get that thing operational - if the reports are correct - because it has a bad structural design.

I don't see anyway you can feasibly fix a bad structure unless you peel the mountain and track back and basically spend two years redoing the foundation - which will NEVER happen.

This is fastly becoming the biggest mechanical failure in the history of WDI...and that's with doozies like test track and rocket rods on the books.
Thanks Joe Rhode!!!

It took you 3 trips to Nepal with like 20+ people to do what you should've done IN ONE TRIP, costing too much money to do a good job designing the ride... Wasn't that your job?
The_Duke_Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #109
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Duke_Knows View Post
Thanks Joe Rhode!!!

It took you 3 trips to Nepal with like 20+ people to do what you should've done IN ONE TRIP, costing too much money to do a good job designing the ride... Wasn't that your job?
to be fair, i suspect he's more look and feel rather than structural engineer isnt he? so its other people letting him down.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #110
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
to be fair, i suspect he's more look and feel rather than structural engineer isnt he? so its other people letting him down.
yeah...but he sure seems to be a goofball that is moody and is fighting the wrong battles in light of the operation at disney these days.

He should be all for the systems and engineering techniques that will yield popular attractions at this juncture...not fighting to maintain extensive details that do not show on a balance sheet.

Im not saying sell your soul...but the only way to keep money flowing into WDI is to produce hit attractions and shows...and if that means research and design needs to take a little of a back seat for awhile until the track record is improved and they get a little more discretionary cash to work with - so be it.

The best examples i can think of are the tower and splash mountain...

Would management greenlight a splash mountain type project or tower of terror right now if they were new and innovative? no
Could WDI pull it off if they did have the time and money to do it? no

so therein lies the problem. The future lies in the past: they have to get back to building expensive things that nobody else would bother too...that's the bottomline.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #111
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
yeah...but he sure seems to be a goofball that is moody and is fighting the wrong battles in light of the operation at disney these days.

He should be all for the systems and engineering techniques that will yield popular attractions at this juncture...not fighting to maintain extensive details that do not show on a balance sheet.

Im not saying sell your soul...but the only way to keep money flowing into WDI is to produce hit attractions and shows...and if that means research and design needs to take a little of a back seat for awhile until the track record is improved and they get a little more discretionary cash to work with - so be it.

The best examples i can think of are the tower and splash mountain...

Would management greenlight a splash mountain type project or tower of terror right now if they were new and innovative? no
Could WDI pull it off if they did have the time and money to do it? no

so therein lies the problem. The future lies in the past: they have to get back to building expensive things that nobody else would bother too...that's the bottomline.
Another problem is that WDI is bandwagoning on innovation, and not even in the right spot! Currently they're "innovating" with CGI, bringing us the "lovely" laugh floor, and other grand crowd control money shredders. I mean sure, its a good show, but that's it, good. I wasn't really wowed by it. They're following the innovation of others as well themselves (i.e. Turtle Talk with Crush was already using that tech, they just updated it) and they're just going in circles.

Here is Universal, competition at the gate, with honestly what I feel is THE most innovative and immersive attraction I have ever been on. Given they have other issues, WDI needs to step up their game and really bring us something BIG. Fantasyland expansion? Ok, cool. Sure a few new rides, a new restaurant, those used to be little things for Disney.

WDI's innovation is falling and I'm not sure if its due to Disney's budgeting and money hoarding or if its just that they're focusing in the wrong places but in recent years I've been both impressed and disappointed, the latter of which should not be present in a Disney park.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #112
Creekmore23
Earning My Ears

sad
Creekmore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #113
Walleandeva2011
Senior Wilderness Explorer. The wilderness must be explored..caca ROAR!

well my wife would love this as she hates when it jumps out at her...haha. Makes me take the inside seat b/c of that
Walleandeva2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #114
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Did I miss a posting??? I was at EE today and the Yeti is up and running!!! Missed him.

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #115
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
Did I miss a posting??? I was at EE today and the Yeti is up and running!!! Missed him.
You mean like it originally was? If that's the case it's a major change in I'm sure many others will be posting the same information. We can only hope.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #116
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey
You mean like it originally was? If that's the case it's a major change in I'm sure many others will be posting the same information. We can only hope.
I'm sure its still disco yeti

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #117
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
Well to be honest I was up in front on most rides so take that into the mix but last times I was there it was dark and he was either gone or covered... yesterday he looked lit up and I thought his arm moved too like the old days... hope someone else has better eyes.

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #118
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
Well to be honest I was up in front on most rides so take that into the mix but last times I was there it was dark and he was either gone or covered... yesterday he looked lit up and I thought his arm moved too like the old days... hope someone else has better eyes.
disco yeti...

he wasn't moving....you were.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #119
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

The yeti is broken permanently. Is infrastructure is integrated into the ride system itself.

Fixing him would require shutting down the ride for a long time .

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #120
AUDramaQueen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603

I was there Oct 13 and thought he moved too. I actually shouted to my bf after we passed it"hey they got the yeti working!" So you're not the only one who's crazy.

Perhaps the strobe light threw us off...
First trip in Dec 1983 | Aug, 1991 - Offsite | May, 1992 - Offsite | Nov, 1996 - Caribbean Beach | May, 1997 - Boardwalk | July, 2004 - Offsite | May, 2005 - Old Key West | Oct, 2006 - Old Key West | Feb, 2007 - Offsite |May, 2007 - Caribbean Beach | Dec, 2009 - Polynesian | Oct, 2010 - Bonnet Creek (Yes, I know - Offsite) | Dec, 2010 - All Star Sports | March, 2011 - All Star Music | July, 2011 - All Star Movies | Nov, 2011- Port Orleans Riverside| Oct, 2012 - Bonnet Creek | March, 2013 - Art of Animation | March, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside | Oct, 2014, Yacht Club

Last edited by AUDramaQueen; 10-24-2012 at 08:15 AM.
AUDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: