Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #91
4tinkerbe
DIS Veteran

Wink it'll be back

IMO I can't see disney letting the yeti go away permanently. There was just too much money and time put into this to blow it off. They know that they've already wooed the crowds (including me, this is my favorite ride) and that a *yeti* ride would be pointless without a *yeti*. Unless they change the theme, but that wouldn't make since either after the mini yeti museum in the wait line and all the yeti merchandise. I imagine that Disney has been working on it after hours and they will eventually get back our yeti friend even if it takes a few months. If they can build a yeti, they can fix it.

4tinkerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #92
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

I rode about three weeks ago and got the yeti/strobe presentation.
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #93
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tinkerbe View Post
IMO I can't see disney letting the yeti go away permanently. There was just too much money and time put into this to blow it off. They know that they've already wooed the crowds (including me, this is my favorite ride) and that a *yeti* ride would be pointless without a *yeti*. Unless they change the theme, but that wouldn't make since either after the mini yeti museum in the wait line and all the yeti merchandise. I imagine that Disney has been working on it after hours and they will eventually get back our yeti friend even if it takes a few months. If they can build a yeti, they can fix it.
Money that is spent is spent. Nothing can get it back. If the ride continues to have long lines why spend more money?

On that note I have never been on the ride in A mode. Would love to see it. I hope they can and do fix it.

BUt if it is going to to cost an extreme amount of money and have little return with guests at the turnstile I can not see todays Disney sinking a lot of money into it. If it is a minimal amount of money then they may fix it.

What I can see is if a fix is possible keep the Yeti covered. Then if attendence falls at the park they can fix it and have a whole marketing campaingn saying "the Yeti has returned" much the same with with the different itterations of tower of terror.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #94
NoLineOntheHorizon
Mouseketeer

The yeti is just a myth...folklore...legend. those pulled up train tracks were not actually done by the yeti...I won't believe it until I see him/her with my own eyes!!
NoLineOntheHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #95
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post
BUt if it is going to to cost an extreme amount of money and have little return with guests at the turnstile I can not see todays Disney sinking a lot of money into it. If it is a minimal amount of money then they may fix it.
That's just the thing. Today's Disney literally cannot understand why you would spend money to fix something like that, with very little return and which many guests don't seem to much notice or care about.

But elements like an A-mode Yeti are what (used to) separate Disney from its theme park neighbors - attention to detail and maintaining its own standards. "Bad Show" didn't used to be considered "good enough show" if it would save a buck.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #96
NoLineOntheHorizon
Mouseketeer

Agreed.
I am hopeful they are "trying" to swing back the other (old) way.
NoLineOntheHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #97
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post
That's just the thing. Today's Disney literally cannot understand why you would spend money to fix something like that, with very little return and which many guests don't seem to much notice or care about.

But elements like an A-mode Yeti are what (used to) separate Disney from its theme park neighbors - attention to detail and maintaining its own standards. "Bad Show" didn't used to be considered "good enough show" if it would save a buck.
Bullseye!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #98
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post

Agreed, I hope I am wrong and they are fixing it.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #99
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Hard to compare when you never saw the original..

Sigh...wait and see
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #100
Goofy45
WDW Freak

Today, May 27, 2011, I rode Everest, expecting to see the yeti covered up, but he wasn't. He was uncovered, the strobe light was on him, but he wasn't moving. I don't know why he was uncovered if they are working on him, unless it's just for Star Wars Weekend.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #101
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I duuno...all reports of them working on it to have it work in some sort of at least 1/2A mode seemed to have dried up. Either it wasn't really happening, or they couldn't make it work.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #102
wasabi girl
Mouseketeer
I can't get in the shower if the shower curtain is already wet

I don't usually post here but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I rode EE in A mode, and it was great. Not an extreme coaster by any means, but great story, theme, atmosphere, the yeti effect at the end, was like icing on the cake. Just made it better (had to love the little boy who told his mom after getting off, "I liked the monkey waving good-bye!"), but anyway. At some point Disney is going to have to figure out that it takes money to make money. There is a reason we go to Disney rather than Six Flags or Universal or whatever. Even as it is, it's still better, for now. If they keep making short sighted, profit is the only god, type decisions, maybe it won't be better for long. Once upon a time Disney was innovative and spent lots of money on ideas, eventually it paid off. Of course they are a business and businesses need to generate profit, but they also have to keep to their corporate mission and go the extra mile in pleasing their guests. Maybe that will mean not cheaping out and doing things correctly, rather than cheaply, and fixing it if it's broke. I love Disney, I always have a great time when I go, but it would be nice if I didn't keep noticing things that used to be or could be better, including the Yeti.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #103
scauzilloc1121
Mouseketeer

I just rode EE Sunday, June 5th and the Yeti was there uncovered but in strobe mode. Still a great ride. The lines are long and everyone enjoys the ride. To me that must mean Disney did something right or the lines would be short and no one would want to ride. Word of mouth happens fast when you are at a theme park. personally I like the ride, love the reverse part of the coaster and love the theming. I am a coaster enthusiast and have ridden over 50 different coasters throughout the U.S. and Disney has some great ones for the age group they are trying to cater to.
scauzilloc1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #104
britneyacacia3
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone
I'm new to This forum
it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in
britneyacacia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #105
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

EE with the moving Yeti is definitely a different ride than without it. We rode when it first opened DD11 was 6 then. She was terrified and wouldn't ride again because "the yeti touched my head!" She was sure the swiping claws hit her head

We've talked her into riding it since then and she still doesn't like it... because it goes backwards- no mention of the yeti.
Goofygirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: