Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #76
nicpries
Mouseketeer

The last time I was at Disney World (2002) they were starting construction of EE. I have never rode it and was really looking forward to the experience with my upcoming trip in May.

Unfortuently I won't get the full affect. After reading the posts, I'm not sure if I even want to ride it.

Any suggestions?...

My boyfriend & I are real thrill seakers..

Having gone to Disney in 2002, I was only 12 years old and not up the roller coaster. I've rode on BTM & SM, but none of the others.

Any suggestions on must rides?
2011-CSR
nicpries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #77
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicpries View Post
The last time I was at Disney World (2002) they were starting construction of EE. I have never rode it and was really looking forward to the experience with my upcoming trip in May.

Unfortuently I won't get the full affect. After reading the posts, I'm not sure if I even want to ride it.

Any suggestions?...

My boyfriend & I are real thrill seakers..

Having gone to Disney in 2002, I was only 12 years old and not up the roller coaster. I've rode on BTM & SM, but none of the others.

Any suggestions on must rides?
Since you haven't ridden it before, you haven't any idea what would truly be missing. It's still a great ride.

I consider all attractions must-dos if you haven't done them before. After that, there are some you never need to do again.

Disney is not known as a thrill seekers destination. IMO, the list of "thrill" rides would be:

MK:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Stitch's Great Escape (I don't think it's great, but it meets certain criteria. It's predecessor, Alien Encounter, was far far better)

Epcot:
Test Track
Mission: SPACE
Soarin'

DHS:
Rock'n'roller Coaster
Tower of Terror

Animal Kingdom:
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Primeval Whirl (borderline, I don't really like it myself)

There are other attractions that are must-dos, like TSM, etc. but this is what I would classify as thrill rides.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #78
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Bolded to add emphasis.

The Disney Mountains is an AWESOME book, especially if you're a theme park junkie. It may be one of the best theme park books (up there with the Kurti 25th Anniversary WDW book that came out awhile back) I've ever read.
Wow! I just checked Amazon and it's $125 used and $175 new! That's pretty darn steep for a book that's listed (though not in stock) at Chapters for $25.
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #79
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingGrump View Post
Wow! I just checked Amazon and it's $125 used and $175 new! That's pretty darn steep for a book that's listed (though not in stock) at Chapters for $25.
I can't believe that its outta print this fast....usually you can get the disney press/ hyperion books for about ten years for not too much of a premium.

I'm thinking that Everest might be the reason they pulled it from print...there's no other reason - as books like these will sell to disney collectors for along time after their initial print.

I looked on ebay and its not up for sale there either. Though the original imagineering book (1995) is available for about $26.00...which is less than its jacket price.

Don't be surprise if one of the Disney Mountain books ends up on ebay in the next day or so...and if my bookshelf gets a little more space on it
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #80
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Bolded to add emphasis.

The Disney Mountains is an AWESOME book, especially if you're a theme park junkie. It may be one of the best theme park books (up there with the Kurti 25th Anniversary WDW book that came out awhile back) I've ever read.
I've actually never gotten around to getting this book (WDW -the first 25 years)...is it a good read for a themepark technophile?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #81
M-I-C-K-E-Y
DIS Veteran

Caissons can be repaired and/or reinforced. What they don't want to have to do is remove it completely - hugely expensive and possibly destabilizing to the surrounding areas (that reportedly have other caissons or foundations). It's much easier to make repairs when the structural load is removed; depending on the severity of this. It really depends in part how bad the cracking is and whether the Yeti also needs to be re-designed to avoid a future repeat, even with a repaired, replaced, or "beefed up" caisson.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the caisson isn't as bad as some have speculated. There is no way they would have continued to operate an attraction racing around that Yeti caisson (with the full weight load of the Yeti still upon it) if it was unstable to a huge degree. Safety folks...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #82
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingGrump View Post
Really? WOW, that's steep.

I picked it up when it came out a few years back for around $20. It's good..but it's not $100+ good! That's a higher price than "Since the World Began" (the Kurti book I mentioned previously)!

Wonder why it's so expensive!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #83
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I've actually never gotten around to getting this book (WDW -the first 25 years)...is it a good read for a themepark technophile?
It's hopelessly outdated, now. And it's not super technical.

But it gives a great historical account of how the park was built, it's history, etc. Lots of cool trivia (most of which Disneyfiles already know) and GREAT presentation.

It's not nearly as "technical" as something like Vinyl Leaves, but it's presented in pretty standard "coffee book" fashion. Lots of pictures and some good content.

Either just before or just after Bruce Gordon passed away, there was another book that came out called Walt Disney World: Then, Now, and Forever, also done with Jeff Kurtti (I think Jeff finished it after Bruce passed). It was available (I think) only in the parks and at Disney stores. I confess, I haven't laid hands on it, but I remember reading it was a spiritual successor to the 25th Anniversary book.

But looking around, that, too, looks out of print with ridiculously high prices.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #84
Minnie&Tink
Earning My Ears

When exactly did the Yeti break? The first and only time I have been on EE was in July 2009. Was it broken then? I'm not really a rollar coaster fan so I may have been to terrified to notice
Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #85
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Tink View Post
When exactly did the Yeti break? The first and only time I have been on EE was in July 2009. Was it broken then? I'm not really a rollar coaster fan so I may have been to terrified to notice
Definitely broken then. I don't know precisely when they turned it off completely, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a year. Possibly a lot less.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #86
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
however geeked you can get about the story...the fact it is a western runaway railroad is pretty tired, and the reality is that you spend 30 seconds going up a lift 3 times with 15 seconds of curves and dips in between is really choppy and makes a bad run....today, tomorrow, or in 1979.
I kinda agree with this one...I don't think any other amusement/theme park company in the world would get away with a coaster having 3 lift hills without being laughed at by enthusiasts, but Disney somehow did it.

Having said that I like Thunder Mountain, but it's a lot of waiting (and very loud lift hills, though Space Mountain is STILL no better in that regard)

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #87
smdigh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Definitely broken then. I don't know precisely when they turned it off completely, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a year. Possibly a lot less.
Can't seem to find when it broke anywhere. I do know it was still working in June 2007.
smdigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #88
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment632 View Post
TT is no longer the most expensive it's cousin Radiator Springs Racers will be 350 million.
Radiator Springs Racers looks amazing so far. Glad they are gobbling up the bland Anaheim skyline with the cool Cars background.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #89
wedance6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDad222 View Post
I was on the ride in January, without the Yeti. I'm not sure what people are complaining about, it's still the best coaster at WDW.
Yeah, I agree...I mean I've been on it in A<B< and C modes, and granted A was cool...It wasnt all that, you're going by very fast anyhow. My mom missed the Yeti alltogether, she didnt even notice it while riding....hahaha. She claims she just didnt look up, she was looking fwd.
AKL 9/07 AKL 5/03 POR 10/02
CBR 9/96 Offsite 3/91 CBR 6/90
Poly 7/80
wedance6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #90
wedance6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Tink View Post
It was in B mode, "ala disco/strobe" Nov. 2010, but the last time I notice it moving was in 2007
AKL 9/07 AKL 5/03 POR 10/02
CBR 9/96 Offsite 3/91 CBR 6/90
Poly 7/80
wedance6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: