Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #31
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

It would be nice to have the original Yeti back.....even if he has to spend time at the Yeti hospital for a while.

I have seen the original and it was amazing.

I would LOVE to read the threads from all of the excited WDW guests when the Yeti returns to his former-fierce self.

Fingers crossed!
Donut23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #32
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Is there actually any evidence that the Yeti is not functioning because the foundation can not take the force?

Has Disney said this? Does anyone have pictures of stress fractures?
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #33
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Is there actually any evidence that the Yeti is not functioning because the foundation can not take the force?

Easy there, Cochese...

You think its an elaborate conspiracy theory? The damn thing doesn't work...and the mousies screwed this one up. that's kinda the end of the discussion...even with no pictures.

Whatever is going on...obviously its a major structural or mechanical issue - because its not like they are "choosing" to let the thing sit dormant for 5 years. She ain't working and its major.

How do i know? because it woulda been fixed by now if it was minor...obviously its more than computer programming or a nights worth of maintenance here...
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #34
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Easy there, Cochese...

You think its an elaborate conspiracy theory? The damn thing doesn't work...and the mousies screwed this one up. that's kinda the end of the discussion...even with no pictures.

Whatever is going on...obviously its a major structural or mechanical issue - because its not like they are "choosing" to let the thing sit dormant for 5 years. She ain't working and its major.

How do i know? because it woulda been fixed by now if it was minor...obviously its more than computer programming or a nights worth of maintenance here...
While I agree that the Yeti has major problems they may not be as bad as many fear mongers tell you they are. While we know that excessive stress during its movement caused it to have problems the problems made quite likely be limited to the Yeti itself and not to the actual support structure it sits on. Using modern electronics and materials it seems likely that the weight of the structure and controls for the Yeti can be reduced significantly while also making it stronger. Another option could be making it bend down and reach for the car instead of lunging at it. This could reduce the weight of what is moving by approximately 50%. Combining some of these changes I feel could definitely return EE to its original Glory.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #35
david balliet
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I was there the day it broke-- the cast member mantra was as i recall that he is getting old and he broke his back.
david balliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #36
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by david balliet View Post
I was there the day it broke-- the cast member mantra was as i recall that he is getting old and he broke his back.
Broke Back (on a) Mountain?

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #37
ktrex
Former Kilimanjaro Safaris Driver!

I don't remember where I read/heard this, but I believe the fix they are working on now is pretty much attaching rods to the yeti to move it similarly to a puppet. This takes the movement force off the foundation and still allows the yeti to move.

Follow my journey to become a Disney Professional Intern!
ktrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #38
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Easy there, Cochese...

Over and over again people say things about the foundation breaking or being broken. Why?

They say that to fix it the whole mountain has to come down to pore a new slab of concrete.

That is can't operate as fast or with as much movement before because the foundation can't take the stress.

But nobody has any proof that I've ever seen that there is a problem with the foundation. Only speculation and heresay. Over and over again the same unproven reasoning.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #39
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Over and over again people say things about the foundation breaking or being broken. Why?

They say that to fix it the whole mountain has to come down to pore a new slab of concrete.

That is can't operate as fast or with as much movement before because the foundation can't take the stress.

But nobody has any proof that I've ever seen that there is a problem with the foundation. Only speculation and heresay. Over and over again the same unproven reasoning.
what does it matter if it is "heresay"

at some point perception becomes reality.

The FACT is that it hasn't worked for five years...you can make excuses and come up with all the angles you want...but at the end of the day private santiago is dead...and dawson and downey killed him. these are the facts of the case...and they are indisputable.

errr...mighta gone off the tracks there a little...but you get the point. Why hasn't it worked for five years?
Not enough rainy days to fix it? budget cuts and no money for wrenches? an elaborate piece of metal that takes 5 years to fabricate?

It doesn't matter. As napoleon said "the truth is but a lie that everyone believes"
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #40
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:

I believe the Imagineers themselves have made reference to the problems with the "foundation" (I was not under the impression that meant a slab, but the structure on which the Yeti sits...), and that they didn't have a good solution to it (to replace the structure would require significant downtime). That's how we also learned about how it was built with the three separate structures - from the Imagineers.

[I personally have not spoken with Imagineers about it, but I do know several who have]

Beyond that, it is the most reliable information we have that fits with the facts. Other hypotheses are welcome should you like to come up with one.

Regardless, WHAT DOES IT MATTER?!? If it was easy to fix it would have been fixed years ago.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #41
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I believe the Imagineers themselves have made reference to the problems with the "foundation" (I was not under the impression that meant a slab, but the structure on which the Yeti sits...), and that they didn't have a good solution to it (to replace the structure would require significant downtime). That's how we also learned about how it was built with the three separate structures - from the Imagineers.

[I personally have not spoken with Imagineers about it, but I do know several who have]

Beyond that, it is the most reliable information we have that fits with the facts. Other hypotheses are welcome should you like to come up with one.

Regardless, WHAT DOES IT MATTER?!? If it was easy to fix it would have been fixed years ago.
Like you, I was under the impression that it was the structure not the slab that was damaged. This was because last time this subject came up, someone said they would need to take the side off the mountain to fix the problem
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #42
ktrex
Former Kilimanjaro Safaris Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
Like you, I was under the impression that it was the structure not the slab that was damaged. This was because last time this subject came up, someone said they would need to take the side off the mountain to fix the problem
Keep in mind that they can't just 'take the side off the mountain'. The mountain, track, and Yeti were all implemented simultaneously, and they can't just remove one aspect. In order to "remove" the yeti, or even take her out to work on her foundation, the entire top or outside of the mountain and the track must be removed.

Follow my journey to become a Disney Professional Intern!
ktrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #43
ajseagles3
DVC Member

tt aside--i hope they can fix the yeti
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #44
DisneyDad222
Earning My Ears

I was on the ride in January, without the Yeti. I'm not sure what people are complaining about, it's still the best coaster at WDW.
DisneyDad222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #45
nytimez
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDad222 View Post
I was on the ride in January, without the Yeti. I'm not sure what people are complaining about, it's still the best coaster at WDW.
That's not saying much... not exactly a place known for its coasters. And I'd disagree in any case -- because Rock n Roller Coaster is far better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: