Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
trikefam
Earning My Ears

Leaving Items to Be Signed on the Ship

Hello all. My travel agent was telling me that on the Disney ships you could leave an item (like a pillowcase or photo mat) to be signed by the characters and then pick it up at the end of the cruise. I was wondering if anyone has in fact done this and how many items we could leave. I'd really like to leave 2 pillowcases (one for each child) and a photo mat for me. Is this too many items? Would we need to provide a fabric pen/marker with our pillowcases? Where do we leave the items?

We are cruising two weeks from today on the 3/24/11 Disney Dream! We can't wait!

Thank you for any help!
trikefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
JennLK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikefam View Post
Hello all. My travel agent was telling me that on the Disney ships you could leave an item (like a pillowcase or photo mat) to be signed by the characters and then pick it up at the end of the cruise. I was wondering if anyone has in fact done this and how many items we could leave. I'd really like to leave 2 pillowcases (one for each child) and a photo mat for me. Is this too many items? Would we need to provide a fabric pen/marker with our pillowcases? Where do we leave the items?

We are cruising two weeks from today on the 3/24/11 Disney Dream! We can't wait!

Thank you for any help!
No that should be fine. Put them all together in a bag with your room # and name on it - with sharpies in the colors you want the signatures - and drop off to guest services your first night on the ship. If there are character preferences let them know as well. A cm dropped off the signed photomats to my room on the last night !

Cruise: Fantasy 8/14 * MSC Divina 4/14 * Norwegian Breakaway 1/14 * Magic 11/13 * Fantasy 9/12 * Dream 1/12 * Dream 2/11
WDW: Off-site (Bonnet Creek) 01/13 and 11/11 SSR 1/11 and CSR/CBR 12/06-1/07
JennLK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
kthomas618
Mouseketeer

I haven't done this, but my sister i law did and it worked out great!

Kathy

Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Wonder 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Magic Transatlantic WB 2010 and 2011
Disneyland 1970, 1974, 1982, 2010
Disney World way too many to count
kthomas618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
blessedmomofboys
Mouseketeer

I left 3 photomats with guest services along with 2 sharpies on the first day. Our stateroom host dropped them back in our room on the last evening.

John, Heather, Carter (5), Preston (3), and Liam (2)

blessedmomofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

I'm hoping it will be OK for me to leave a birthday card to be signed. I've only heard of photo mats & pillowcases getting signed, so I don't know. DD will be having her 16th birthday while on the cruise.
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Im sure that would be fine too! I left an 11x14 mat to be signed with 8 sharpies in different colors and they made certain to even mark how many sharpies I had. There was no issue or question, he knew exactly what I wanted and they have a form they fill out. The mat was delivered back to my stateroom around 8pm on the last night and looks great with a pic from shutters on my wall.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
trikefam
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm really excited about seeing how our items turn out!

~Rachel
trikefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
MouseLovinMom
Mouseketeer

I'd also recommend writing your name and stateroom number right on the bag containing your items and sharpies (we used one of those big ziplocs), that way if the small form Guest Services attaches to your things gets separated they'll still be identifiable. Enjoy! Our signed photo mat is my favorite souvenir of all time.

PS...Don't forget to tell them which way you would like the mat oriented for the signatures.
MouseLovinMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

On Our December Cruise my wife and I each bought the BIG blank Vinylmation figures and left them to be signed.

I have a Red one and DW has a yellow one - they were signed by all the characters and dropped in our room on the last night of the cruise.

We have them in our offices at work and we each get tons of comments on them!

Definitely leave something of quality with clear instructions and provide your own color specific/coordinating sharpie markers. You will get your markers back!

We left a few colors that would look good on each - we got all of them back.

We left a $5.00 tip in each box. I hope it was appreciated by the CM- because we definitely appreciated not having to wait in line to get them signed!
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
tdizzle
Mouseketeer

Tip:

I read this suggestion on another thread here, include a bag of candy with your stuff to be signed as a thank you to the CM's taking care of your request. Of course you don't HAVE to, they'll do it anyway but I'm sure it's appreciated. Everybody likes a treat!!!
tdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Goofygoof
Earning My Ears

great idea , taht would make such a lovely souvenir
Goofygoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
KAZPRINCESS
Mouseketeer

In answer to how many things you can get signed, I asked the same question on another thread - Answer came back 1 per person in cabin.

Karen

Counting the days until 2 weeks at the Beach Club.

KAZPRINCESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
awatt
My pontoon boat is like a floating patio!

Re the mats- what size photo do you put in the mat 6 x 8 or 5 x 7 etc?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
I'm hoping it will be OK for me to leave a birthday card to be signed. I've only heard of photo mats & pillowcases getting signed, so I don't know. DD will be having her 16th birthday while on the cruise.
I tried to do this on the PC repo in 2008 for DD. Her birthday was two days after we got off the ship so was hoping to surprise her with this special keepsake. There was an issue with it being a copyrighted item and the characters could not sign it because it would be an endorsement of that company I think is how it was explained to me. You could make a card on your own without anything on it except maybe happy birthday with a sticky note on it asking them to sign inside. You could then add decoration to the front after you get it back -- or attach the signed paper to the inside of a card you have.

I was also told that if a child has a birthday on the actual cruise they will get a card signed by the characters on that day. This was told to me by a CM in the lab so I don't know if they do this for the teens but you might want to ask about this. They already have the list of birthdays and room numbers.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I tried to do this on the PC repo in 2008 for DD. Her birthday was two days after we got off the ship so was hoping to surprise her with this special keepsake. There was an issue with it being a copyrighted item and the characters could not sign it because it would be an endorsement of that company I think is how it was explained to me. You could make a card on your own without anything on it except maybe happy birthday with a sticky note on it asking them to sign inside. You could then add decoration to the front after you get it back -- or attach the signed paper to the inside of a card you have.

I was also told that if a child has a birthday on the actual cruise they will get a card signed by the characters on that day. This was told to me by a CM in the lab so I don't know if they do this for the teens but you might want to ask about this. They already have the list of birthdays and room numbers.

What if the card is a Hallmark Disney card? I found a few Disney themed birthday cards at the Hallmark store.
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, disney cruise line, disney dream, items signed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: