Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Oh a new chicken parm dish at PH? Hope its still there in Sept, that has to be new!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
DLo
DIS Veteran

great start! we didn't do character meals our first several trips because one of my ds didn't like the masked characters either. Now that he has finally out grown it , we love going even though now they may be a little to old (my younger ds is 13 - he still likes going) We have only eaten at CP for dinner or lunch and enjoy it. Want to try breakfast so I can try that french toast. it looks amazing!
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
DLo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
Disneyfreak616
DIS Veteran

I'm here and I can't wait for more reviews!

WDW Commando #141
WDW (on-site only): 2001: POFQ/ 2010: AKL-Jambo House/ 2011: YC Club Level, POFQ, CSR & AKL-Jambo House (DVC!)/ 2012: SSR (x2), BWV (x2), AKV- Kidani Village & BLT/ 2013: AoA, POLY & AKV- Jambo House/ 2014: CBR, VWL, BCV & GRAND FLORIDIAN VILLAS!
DL: 2009: Fairfield Inn Marriot/ 2010: Camelot Inn/ 2013: Carousel Inn

Completed Trip Reports:

The Frump Takes Over the World: Food Edition! A DR with Extra Magic!A Frump's TR: "Me Gusta Epic Mealtime! Stop Thinking My Thoughts: I'm Five."

"I Don't Wanna Meet Mickey In a Frumpin' Poncho!"
"SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! It Builds Character and Strength!" A July 2011 TR!

Disneyfreak616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
RachaelRol
DIS Veteran

Subbing!!! Good job so far

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2756582
RachaelRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
kimgof
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! Can't wait to read more. We will be doing Akesrshus this trip for lunch ....curious to see what you think of it.

Halloween'04 ASSports,Aug '06 POR, Sept '08 POR, Aug '09 Poly,Aug '11Poly&HRH,Aug '14 POP&HRH
DS(19) DS(13): DD(11) me & DH
kimgof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Thank you all so much for the encouragement! The idea of writing dining reviews is a little intimidating to me... I don't feel like I'm a very eloquent writer, and I know my pictures pale in comparison to many I see on there, but I still hope they're helpful.

Day 3 will be coming tomorrow, I'm almost done writing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2two View Post
Looking forward to reading your reviews! We're going in June with our almost 3 y/o DD and almost 2 y/o DD and have a lot of ADRs for places you're reviewing I just upgraded to deluxe, so I need to make a couple more ADRs...
Wow, that'll be fun! And a great idea while they're free - isn't that the best!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Count me in! I had the hardest time when I brought our 2 nieces to WDW...I learned that they filled up on a big buffet breakfast as they both love all breakfast foods but lunch and dinner were a nightmare!

And BTW, I love vanilla ice cream too
Hmm, that's so frustrating that it was hard to do lunch and dinner! Tiredness for our family definitely plays in, though. It's hard to be little and tired! And that vanilla ice cream... I just don't get it. I love it ON my other desserts, but only by itself if we're at McDonalds and that's all they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Oh a new chicken parm dish at PH? Hope its still there in Sept, that has to be new!
I'm glad I wasn't crazy thinking that! I seriously almost ordered pizza just "out of habit," but then we saw the chicken parm and figured it was worth a shot. And we're glad we did. I hope they keep it, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo View Post
great start! we didn't do character meals our first several trips because one of my ds didn't like the masked characters either. Now that he has finally out grown it , we love going even though now they may be a little to old (my younger ds is 13 - he still likes going) We have only eaten at CP for dinner or lunch and enjoy it. Want to try breakfast so I can try that french toast. it looks amazing!
I'm glad we're not the only one with that issue! And I'm SO SO thankful for all the princess meals - I'm sure for moms of boys it may not be as great, but for us it really helps "break" our kids into the idea of characters. We still try the regular characters, in hopes that it'll get better, and it does by the end of our vacation... maybe one day it will by the first day or two. What did you think of CP for lunch and dinner? I'd love to try it again!

We are so blessed! Trip to WDW in the 80s courtesy of Make-A-Wish, two trips in the 90s thanks to youth group and a band trip, then a trip in 2004 with DH - what started the trend. Another short trip in 2005, a trip to DisneyLand in 2008 with our DD1, another trip to WDW in 2008 with DD1, trip in 2010 with DD1 and DD2, and just another in February 2011 with DD1 and DD2. It's been amazing!

DH, me, and our two beautiful girls (5 and 3)

Our dining report from our February 2011 trip
MommytoaSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #22
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Day 3 - Donald's Safari Breakfast and DTD Rainforest Cafe

Day 3

We went to Animal Kingdom for morning EMH. Since we weren’t going to be eating our big breakfast for awhile (ADR at 10:10), we took our quick breakfasts with us… milks, kasha bars, and clementines. By 9:15, though, our girls were a little hungry, so we used a snack credit and got apple slices with caramel dip – they think it’s such a treat. Seriously, the gobbled them up!

It turned out to be a very good thing we had the apples… our breakfast was at

Donald’s Safari Breakfast at Tusker House

We arrived at 9:55 to checkin, and were told it would be a 20 minute wait PAST our reservation time because they were backed up. Pretty annoying, especially since they tell you to get to restaurants 15 minutes BEFORE your ADR time – and we did. This was our family’s 3rd time at the restaurant, though, so I’m hoping this was just a one-time issue. We waited out at the tables outside, got our sunblock on since it was warming up, and then DH took the girls to look around. We were finally called after 10:30 and walked up to where you take your picture with Donald – who was just stepping out for a break. Bummer. We knew that there would be issues with the characters anyway for our family, though, so we asked if we had to take the picture – since the purchase is not included in your meal price and we knew we wouldn’t buy them, it didn’t seem worth it to wait and have our kids freak out anyway, so they said we could just skip it and go on in. Perfect idea.

We sat down at our table and no characters were close… Mickey and Goofy were further away, but not close enough to cause distress so both DD’s were just aware of their presence. Our waitress brought out our “jungle juice” or whatever it’s called – it’s very tasty – and then took our other drink orders. DH and I needed coffee. I think our girls just stuck to the juice. We also asked about the order of characters, and realized it would be a little while before they got to our table, so we went to get our breakfast. I like that Tusker House has a wide variety of options available. The food was good, too, although I think we slightly preferred the food at Crystal Palace (we hadn’t expected that)… well for me, it was mostly the fruit options. There were some good melon choices at Tusker House, but I was hoping to find more strawberries. My plate is below – I got a cheese blintz with apple topping (very yummy!), scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, a vegetable quiche, and bacon. I enjoyed my breakfast! Oh, and I forgot to take a picture of it, but I went back up and found a chocolate croissant, too… that was excellent.

DH got his favorites – Mickey waffles (but no chocolate), eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon… and in his words, “yeah, it was all good!” (and I again apologize for the blurry pic)

Our girls both had a Mickey waffle with fruit and bites from our plates. No picture of those because by the time it was on our plate, everything was cut up and ready to be eaten. They ended up just waving by Mickey, but when Daisy came by (a favorite of our girls), both of our girls sat with us and had us ask her to sign their autograph books. They did the same for Goofy, who they wouldn’t look at, but closed their eyes while he signed their books. It was an improvement.

The food was tasty – like I said before, I think we preferred Crystal Palace, but it wasn’t that Tusker House was bad. We also had the longer wait, and that put us on a sour note, so who knows. We’d give it an 8/10 for the whole experience (with the wait), but 9/10 for the food.

Since we ate breakfast so late, we ended up not being hungry for quite awhile – we got a little hungry around 3pm, but not enough for a full lunch, so we decided to use some snack credits. We were somewhere near the Festival of the Lion King and there was a place with soft serve icecream treats. DH and I both got a waffle cone, and DD1 wanted a strawberry shortcake (DD2 was napping in the stroller). That thing was HUGE! She absolutely loved it (and told me it was okay for our “lunch” since it had strawberries ), and thankfully DD2 woke up in time to finish it up.

We left Animal Kingdom after 4, headed back to our resort to change, and headed over to Downtown Disney for dinner at

Rainforest Café

We had signed up for their Safari Club at a recent visit to a RC in New Jersey, so we had that card, plus the $10 new member voucher, plus a gift card, so we were excited to hit it up. We didn’t have a reservation because we had the Safari Club, which we showed at the front, then went and stood in the line (I think they were resetting for the dinner crowd) for about 10 minutes, and got seated. It worked well!

We chose the free appetizer for our Safari Club perk and got the cheese sticks because it was what we could all easily agree on. They were hot, fresh, and gooey – our DD2 had a hard time figuring out how to get the stringing cheese in her mouth. Sorry, though, no pic. DH and I each got the China Island Chicken Salad – oh my goodness, it was so yummy! Huge portion, and I couldn’t finish all of mine, but I loved it.

Our girls split the mini turkey sliders – it was two small buns with some turkey and a piece of American cheese on each, and came with a side – both girls wanted applesauce, so we ordered a second so they could each have one. Both of our kids enjoyed it, even if it looked a little plain to me.

The food at RC was really good, but it was also REALLY expensive. I guess it’s similar in price to other Disney TS restaurants, but our bill came to $50-some before our voucher & gift card. That’s a lot for dinner! It added up easily with our higher-priced salads ($17 each?!?), pretty pricey kid’s meal ($7 for the meal plus $2 for each milk and another $1 or 2 for the extra applesauce). And we got the appetizer for free! Without a gift card, I’m not sure we’d go there again, but it was certainly worth the value we actually spent.

For food and ambiance, I’d give Rainforest Café a 10/10. With the cost, I’d drop it down to 9/10.

We are so blessed! Trip to WDW in the 80s courtesy of Make-A-Wish, two trips in the 90s thanks to youth group and a band trip, then a trip in 2004 with DH - what started the trend. Another short trip in 2005, a trip to DisneyLand in 2008 with our DD1, another trip to WDW in 2008 with DD1, trip in 2010 with DD1 and DD2, and just another in February 2011 with DD1 and DD2. It's been amazing!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #23
sushibite
Earning My Ears

The food looks delicious. I am definitely subscribing to this thread.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
sahm2two
Mouseketeer

Great reviews! I really enjoy reading about what your DDs like/eat. We've got Cinderella's table booked for breakfast on our 1st day, I'm crossing my fingers that they like the characters! Do the characters do a good job of judging if the kid is scared?

Looking forward to reading the rest of the reviews
sahm2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #25
Dimples1973ca
Mouseketeer

Fantastic Reviews! Thanks for sharing.

Dimples1973ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #26
GinnyBear's_mom
I say we start with dessert & go backwards; its been a backwards kind of day

We'll be eating at Akershus for the first time in October with our 2 year old, can't wait to see how you and your girls like it!

August '13 Sheraton Vistana Villages| October '11 FWR Cabins| August '09 offsite|July '09 offsite |July '07 CSR| March '95 DL| June '83 Poly
GinnyBear's_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
minushka72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoaSweetie View Post
Thank you all so much for the encouragement! The idea of writing dining reviews is a little intimidating to me... I don't feel like I'm a very eloquent writer, and I know my pictures pale in comparison to many I see on there, but I still hope they're helpful.

I'm glad I wasn't crazy thinking that! I seriously almost ordered pizza just "out of habit," but then we saw the chicken parm and figured it was worth a shot. And we're glad we did. I hope they keep it, too!

Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews. I have a 4 year old and 1 year old so this is especially great. I had the chicken parm at Pinocchio's in September and it was really good. Mine came with orzo instead of regular pasta though which I thought was a nice difference. Your pic looks like it was ziti when you got it? I loved the sauce and thought the chicken was very tasty for CS. Will definately be getting it again if we eat there in May.
minushka72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

Great reviews soo far! I'm in!
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #29
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2two View Post
Great reviews! I really enjoy reading about what your DDs like/eat. We've got Cinderella's table booked for breakfast on our 1st day, I'm crossing my fingers that they like the characters! Do the characters do a good job of judging if the kid is scared?

Looking forward to reading the rest of the reviews
I think that most of the characters can tell... the masked characters sometimes might not see what's going on (not their fault that it's probably hard to see in there!), or they've occasionally tried to be silly with us if they don't know not to (like Goofy or Tigger - it's just part of their character), but once they've realized that our girls are too scared, they totally back off - maybe try a wave to see if they can ease them in, but if we need to we can totally tell them that we just can't do it then and they're fine with it. I'm sure they see that ALL the time. For the regular characters, I've found the same thing - if our girls don't know a character well, they don't have a big desire to interact, and the characters can sense the shyness and usually act accordingly. I keep hoping that after this many trips, we'd no longer have issues, but if the characters were too much to handle, we just wouldn't do the meals for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minushka72 View Post
Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews. I have a 4 year old and 1 year old so this is especially great. I had the chicken parm at Pinocchio's in September and it was really good. Mine came with orzo instead of regular pasta though which I thought was a nice difference. Your pic looks like it was ziti when you got it? I loved the sauce and thought the chicken was very tasty for CS. Will definately be getting it again if we eat there in May.
That's so interesting! Our pasta definitely wasn't orzo, but it wasn't ziti or penne, either... I don't know the names of all the pasta shapes, but it was some sort of twisted shape, maybe rolled up tubes or something? All I know is that it was tasty, held the sauce well, and had a fun texture. Maybe they switch it up depending on cost?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
jamiesmom07
Mouseketeer

I'm along for the ride. What wonderful informative reviews!! Thank you!
Nov.25-Dec.3 2011 - POFQ
April 2010 - POR
April 2003 - All Star Movies
jamiesmom07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: