Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
shanab99
Earning My Ears

I agree-- pack an extra t-shirt for yourself. I spent the whole time in the line for Peter Pan thinking the woman behind me smelled like vomit. Then I looked down at my shirt and realized it was me LOL.

The nursing room at Epcot is also one big room. You can turn the rocker toward the wall so you can be quiet with your LO. I have a really cute memory of nursing in one of these rooms. There were 3 other moms there, and it was really quiet except for all 4 babies making little adorable gurgly, babbly sounds. It was just so cute that we moms all started laughing spontaneously.
shanab99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Ericandjenng
DVC--Bay Lake Tower & Hilton Head Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincessatheart View Post
a fan that clips on to the stroller. Many other parents asked us where we got the fan and baby was way more comfortable in the heat than we were!

And don't forget extra batteries! Some of these fans really drain batteries and they are way cheaper at your local store rather than buying them in WDW.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #18
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
The baby care centers are at the entrance to most of the parks and are not convent to use. The bathrooms all have changing tables.

The ONLY park with the Babycare center near the entrance is the Studios.

Epcot- between Future World and Mexico
MK-between Casey's and Crystal Palace
AK-between Pizzafari and the bridge to Africa
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
jessey35
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincessatheart View Post
We took our 4 month old last spring. The 2 biggest things we used to deal with the sun and heat are a ray shade from babies r us (super extra large shade that attaches to any stroller over the top of the existing shade) and a fan that clips on to the stroller. Many other parents asked us where we got the fan and baby was way more comfortable in the heat than we were!
I have to second this- the stroller fan was probably the best $15 we spent the entire week we were there last year with our 12 mth old.
Allowed my DD to rest comfortably in the stroller whether awake or napping. We had other parents stopping us in the parks every day asking where we found it- they were hoping we had bought in the World. Extra batteries are a must!

2nd best was the lightweight umbrella stroller(Maclaren) to bring instead of our travel system stroller. It was 8lbs and super easy to maneuver & fold. Also had mesh seat to help with the sweat factor. But I'd only recommend that for older babies- I'd stick with the larger stroller for a 3 mth old despite the hugeness of it.

The baby care centers were also a lifesaver, they were cool, air conditioned, & usually quiet!
jessey35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #20
roobug
Mouseketeer

We took our twins when they were 3 months. They were preemies so they were very small, but we still used our Mclearen umbrella stroller as opposed to the travel system stroller. It was great because it allowed more air around them, and we could put ice in ziplock bags into the pockets on the back and it helped keep them cool along with the fan, they actually never got hot when they where in the stroller. And when the top was down it helped keep anyone from touching the cute twins especially with the fan clipped on there - just no safe way to get into touch.

A life saver for us was earmuffs we got for them - they cut out the noise. Once they got used to them (we put them on them a few times at home so they could get used to having them on they are kind of bulky.) Anyway with the ear muffs on they could sleep through shows and parades made life so much nicer as a lot of the shows and movies are REALLY loud especially for a little guys ears.

We used a wrap carrier for whenever we went on rides - it kept people from touching the cute baby, and allowed us to have our hands free.

We loved the baby centers to nurse in the airconditioning, and also to allow a little time for them to get out and squirm. As I was nursing twins I would have one on the floor on a blanket at my feet while I nursed one and then switched. I saw a few other moms with singletons with their baby on the floor too. It made our day a nicer when I took at least one nursing session in the baby care center. Other times I nursed while waiting for shows or parades with a cover.

For eating we would put them in the wrap if we couldn't leave them in the stroller - The more crowded restaurants didn't allow the stroller in. The one thing is if you do bring the travel system at dinners you could put the carrier on the holder which would be nice, but IMO it isn't worth the bigger stroller, and less air around the baby during the day.
roobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
momto2js
DIS Veteran

We traveled when my youngest was 5 months but I found it to be completly exhusting!!!! My biggest tip is that you may need to get a mid day rest. The baby will likely sleep anywhere but YOU will be walking all day and then up a few times in the middle of the night. In our case, I didnt' realize how much the being up early to feed the baby before we left, being the last to bed becasue I had to feed the baby and then up 2X's more than the rest of the family really wore me down FAST. By the third day I was in tears ready to go home. After that, we forgot about RD, and I took a mid day nap and it made a HUGE difference.
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #22
mrsbicewdw
Passing Down the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanab99 View Post
I agree-- pack an extra t-shirt for yourself. I spent the whole time in the line for Peter Pan thinking the woman behind me smelled like vomit. Then I looked down at my shirt and realized it was me LOL.

The nursing room at Epcot is also one big room. You can turn the rocker toward the wall so you can be quiet with your LO. I have a really cute memory of nursing in one of these rooms. There were 3 other moms there, and it was really quiet except for all 4 babies making little adorable gurgly, babbly sounds. It was just so cute that we moms all started laughing spontaneously.
Too cute. I will have to bring an extra shirt for sure...I leak like crazy (sorry if TMI). I will have to use the baby care/nursing rooms in each park at least once...they sound nice. DS tends to get distracted if we nurse out and about anyway. And I am bringing a cover, but depending on the weather, I don't want him to sweat to death under it! I am okay with nursing w/o the cover...but then he wants to look at everything and not eat.

Just as a note to other moms - I know that most people use a cover when nursing, but in August or something...when you and baby my melt into a puddle with any extra cover on you...In Florida, you are protected by law to be able to nurse in any way you feel comfortable. If you are okay with nursing without a cover, feel free too. No one can tell you to stop, move, cover-up, etc. This is actually part of training at all theme parks (I worked at Disney and Universal).

Planning our first family DLR trip for Christmas 2015!

Too many WDW trips to count, growing up in Orlando does that!
mrsbicewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #23
NJR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbicewdw View Post
Tips for dining? We have made reservations for 6, since we have six adults. I plan on babywearing in the restaurants so that we are not a party of 7 due to bringing in the infant carseat from the stroller.
I hate to break it to you, but your party size is not dictated by the people in seats, but by the number of bodies - you really are a party of 7, even if you wear the baby. Hopefully the restaurants will still be able to accomodate you and that this will not cause you any grief.
NJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #24
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Too cute. I will have to bring an extra shirt for sure...I leak like crazy (sorry if TMI). I will have to use the baby care/nursing rooms in each park at least once...they sound nice. DS tends to get distracted if we nurse out and about anyway. And I am bringing a cover, but depending on the weather, I don't want him to sweat to death under it! I am okay with nursing w/o the cover...but then he wants to look at everything and not eat.

Just as a note to other moms - I know that most people use a cover when nursing, but in August or something...when you and baby my melt into a puddle with any extra cover on you...In Florida, you are protected by law to be able to nurse in any way you feel comfortable. If you are okay with nursing without a cover, feel free too. No one can tell you to stop, move, cover-up, etc. This is actually part of training at all theme parks (I worked at Disney and Universal).
Actually the law says "A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be,"

The bolded part is the part most people leave out and then want to argue.
I have seen women argue they be allowed into closed theaters and backstage areas citing "the law". Guests are not authorized to be in those areas.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
shanab99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I would LOVE to nurse w/o a cover. But I'm a bit modest, my babies are little squirming hellions and there is no way I can nurse them w/o giving some old lady an eyeful of nipple. If any other moms want to nurse w/o covers, though, it's all good. Just depends on what the mom is comfortable with!

I found Liberty Square to be the best place to watch the parades and be able to sit down and nurse. The Rose Garden was great for watching Wishes. Only prob is that it's not that easy to get out of the parks once you are done.

Last edited by shanab99; 03-10-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong!
shanab99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #26
mrsbicewdw
Passing Down the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
I hate to break it to you, but your party size is not dictated by the people in seats, but by the number of bodies - you really are a party of 7, even if you wear the baby. Hopefully the restaurants will still be able to accomodate you and that this will not cause you any grief.
I talked with the ADR cast members just to make sure of this, they said that as long as we do not bring in the stroller or carseat (which would take up a "seat") that he would not count towards the head count, since he won't take up a seat if he is snuggled on me in a carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Actually the law says "A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be,"

The bolded part is the part most people leave out and then want to argue.
I have seen women argue they be allowed into closed theaters and backstage areas citing "the law". Guests are not authorized to be in those areas.

Um...not to sound argumentative...but I know that I am not allowed in backstage areas to nurse.... That was not what was meant by my post. And I think we can safely assume that other moms on here are not going to try and waltz into a backstage area to nurse.

Planning our first family DLR trip for Christmas 2015!

Too many WDW trips to count, growing up in Orlando does that!
mrsbicewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #27
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Um...not to sound argumentative...but I know that I am not allowed in backstage areas to nurse.... That was not what was meant by my post. And I think we can safely assume that other moms on here are not going to try and waltz into a backstage area to nurse.
You would think that, but it happens. My point was that the law often gets misquoted, giving some the wrong impression.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #28
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I talked with the ADR cast members just to make sure of this, they said that as long as we do not bring in the stroller or carseat (which would take up a "seat") that he would not count towards the head count, since he won't take up a seat if he is snuggled on me in a carrier.
You may really want to double check that you were given correct information(sometimes CM's make mistakes), since everyone else is told that infants do count in the total.

"All children (including infants) must be counted as members of the party when making reservations even if the infant will be seated in a highchair, carrier, adult lap, not ordering a meal or eating off the adult plate. Incorrect party size numbers due to infants may delay seating time. See also "Dining with Children" for more information.

For parties of 6 or more, an 18% gratuity will be automatically added to the bill."

http://www.********************/wdw/...formation.html

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....s#post40179291

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....s#post39831877

I hope you have a great trip.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:59 AM   #29
tiffsix
Queen of the Castle

We went to Disney last Feb. when my daughter was 11 weeks old. It is a bit different than when you are going. It was cold. At that age, they sleep all the time and we decided to bring her car seat where she was comfortable sleeping and attached it to the double stroller. I hardly ever took her out, but she was comfortable sleeping in it, + it was cold. I don't think she went on a single ride. ha ha! It was also great to have the car seat, yes it is heavy & bulky, but it was great for restaurants. I have never been comfortable using a sling but other moms have had great success and love them so that would be a great option too.

my daughter was EBF. I breastfed her on a quiet bench or in one of the baby care centers which are really nice just not always convienant to where you are in the park. I didn't use a nursing cover, just brought along a blanket & covered myself up.

you are lucky to have a lot of extra hands going with you! Always helpful with kids!

I am a germophobe and I bring the travel clorox wipes with me. I wipe down the changing area before I even put my LO down on it (And I put a changing pad or blanket down too) I also use these on the plane, hotel room, restaurant high chairs. Just makes me feel better!

As for dining, like i mentioned, I carried my daughter in in her car seat. I would bring the stroller in too if my kids were sleeping in it. Disney is very accomodating! As for the number in your party, I wouldn't sweat it really. We have been to disney numerous times and sometimes central reservations got the number in our party wrong. They accomodate you. A little infant is not going to be room for concern. IMO.

Have a great trip!
Coronado Springs- Sept 2005
AKV - November 2007-Our 1st time Home!
BWV- Sept 2008 OKW May 2009
Disney Magic- May 2009
POP-Sept 2009 CBR March 2010
AKV Kidani- Oct 2010
GF- March 2011 BCV Oct 2011
Disney Dream- Oct 2011 BLT Jan 2012
Our family-Me-32 DH-35 Dylan-4 Calista-2 Winnie(14)& Casey(9)- our shih-tzus Our teams: NY Giants,NY Rangers,NY Mets,NY Knicks,Alabama Football(14 NATIONAL TITLES), St. John's Basketball
ROLL TIDE ROLL
tiffsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #30
dznystar
DIS Veteran

DH & I were both CMs too. And he worked for both Disney and Universal as well, but of course that was years ago. I've had both of my son's at the parks at very early ages. With my youngest, I had the travel system, but left the carseat part in the room. DS was comfy being able to stretch out with the stroller laid back. He was just under 3 mos for his first visit. I also had my Snugli carrier with me and that helped a lot. The baby centers are really nice. The one at EPCOT has a room with tv and rocking chairs and toys for some older ones, a changing table room, high chair room, a quiet room, and shop with some necessities.

As for table size. We have never included infants in dinner plans and we have always been able to bring the stroller in if needed.

For stroller stuff....get the mickey fan....don't know what I would do without it. We use it all the time. Also, there is a DISer "Dolly" that has a share file with printables for strollers.

Tags
baby, infant, wdw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: