Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Great! I've never heard of explode the code. Going to have to check into that. We are using handwriting without tears at OT. At home we are using Abeka DVD program and they have very specific rules about handwriting and start with cursive. My son lacks the motor coordination and the memory, but if we guide him and remind him about the formation of each step his handwriting is clearly legible. Without our guidance, it's really hard to read.
One part of the handwriting without tears curriculum that helped Luke a great deal were the sticks you get to form letters. We would use the sticks to form a letter, then let him take his thomas train and trace the letter, like a track. This helped him remember how to form the letter. We also used the roll a dough letters with playdoh snakes and forming letters this way. Both were really helpful. His writing (all straight letters) is great now, we are still working on curved letters but this is one area he has made large amounts of improvement in since begining to homeschool. He is still struggling greatly with letter and number recognition. Has nearly all uppercase letters down, but only a handfull of lowercase, and only numbers 1-3 consistent. When he left the public school, he had none of this though so I should feel like we have accomplished something but I definitely feel like we should be accomplishing more.
sl_underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #17
monkeysmamma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
He is still struggling greatly with letter and number recognition. Has nearly all uppercase letters down, but only a handfull of lowercase, and only numbers 1-3 consistent. When he left the public school, he had none of this though so I should feel like we have accomplished something but I definitely feel like we should be accomplishing more.
I'm dealing with the same thing with my 7 year old. It makes me second guess myself on a continual basis, but his therapists and the special ed teacher we meet with through school all think he's working to his full potential. I'm really not sure how to process that.
monkeysmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One part of the handwriting without tears curriculum that helped Luke a great deal were the sticks you get to form letters. We would use the sticks to form a letter, then let him take his thomas train and trace the letter, like a track. This helped him remember how to form the letter. We also used the roll a dough letters with playdoh snakes and forming letters this way. Both were really helpful. His writing (all straight letters) is great now, we are still working on curved letters but this is one area he has made large amounts of improvement in since begining to homeschool. He is still struggling greatly with letter and number recognition. Has nearly all uppercase letters down, but only a handfull of lowercase, and only numbers 1-3 consistent. When he left the public school, he had none of this though so I should feel like we have accomplished something but I definitely feel like we should be accomplishing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysmamma View Post
I'm dealing with the same thing with my 7 year old. It makes me second guess myself on a continual basis, but his therapists and the special ed teacher we meet with through school all think he's working to his full potential. I'm really not sure how to process that.
I voiced concern to my son's neurologist. My son can remember all kinds of facts about Star Wars or animals, but he has problem with name recognition. He is able to see a letter and say it's sound and read simple words. But often he is unable to write a letter if I say it verbally. Also he is often unable to say the name of the letter when he sees it visually.

The neurologist said doing each of those things require different parts of the brain. He also has trouble with name recall. The neuro said that it's almost as if his brain is a white board. If something else comes by, it wipes off that name, it is then gone from memory. He suggested repetition as key to helping him remember. Since he can memorize sentences better than names, Abeka has helped us quite a bit. (A says a as in apple a says, a, a, a)

I take pictures of people we meet. I try to make up phrases to help him remember their name, such as Curly Shirley, Quarter Quarter Kelly (she gave him quarters to play video games), etc. We view the pictures regularly and go over their names. If we skip for days or weeks, we have to start all over, because it's totally gone from his memory.

We had family from out of state visit us last summer. He was so out of his element since they stayed at our house, that he could not remember their names the entire time they were here. Finally by day 7 when they were heading home he remembered their name to say goodbye. I think knowing they were leaving relaxed him enough to remember.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

My son has the same problem. I think that might just be what gets me. He can recite scenes from star wars and toy story yet he cannot remember lots of other information. We will look into Abeka. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My son has the same problem. I think that might just be what gets me. He can recite scenes from star wars and toy story yet he cannot remember lots of other information. We will look into Abeka. Thanks.
He had to repeat kindergarten this year because of not knowing his numbers or letters (did Hartcourt Trophies the first time). From the constant repetition he is doing so much better. We are going to stick with Abeka for 1st grade too, because of that repetition. I know many NT kids complain about that repetition, and say it's boring. But my son actually seems to feel comfortable having those rules and applying them.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
brat
DIS Veteran

Foster son can do better with his hand writing IF he has a Star Wars sticker on

I am looking to see if I can find a Star Wars pencil topper to see if that helps him want to write more.For school he is allowed to keyboard(I still want him to be able to write a note that others can read without tech)so we work on it at home.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
Foster son can do better with his hand writing IF he has a Star Wars sticker on

I am looking to see if I can find a Star Wars pencil topper to see if that helps him want to write more.For school he is allowed to keyboard(I still want him to be able to write a note that others can read without tech)so we work on it at home.

Sticker on himself or his paper? Star Wars is definately a motivator for my son too.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Star wars is a huge motivator here to. Part of our ABA has been earning time for Lego star wars ds game. It has helped immensely with behavioral issues.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #24
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

Hi guys. Good to find this thread. I have been homeschooling for 9 years now but only recentlly got an ASD diagnosis for DS. He is in 5th grade. For a very long time I just figured "well this is the way we have to do things" but didn't get why. Now that I get why, not much has changed but at least I can explain it to others a little better. I get to add to the mix that he has ADHD, SPD and dysgraphia. What fun.

We do a lot of active learning and take many breaks for sensory activities. . I used HWOT for a long time but was not able to get the transition to lowercase letters. So, we are working very slowly on getting those letter formations down. Unfortunately the ideas we have been given like writing in shaving cream, using playdough etc, don't work because he won't touch that stuffl. I had given him a break from the eliptical letter practice as he was getting really irritated with it, so I have to get back to it.

For math, he seems to be clicking this year. He is still a couple of years behind because his recall used to be nil and building on a shaky foundation was not working. He is moving at a more typical rate this year so that is encouraging. I use Christian Light publications math books and then play LOTS of games for retention. I have a math games packet I got from Heppner's Legacy Homeschool that has tons of games that can be adapted to almost any level. Basically we do lots and lots of repetition and I try to do a majority that is easy for him and then a little bit of challenge. It makes for very slow progress but I need him to feel successful in it or he will just shut down on me.

I can throw just about any science or history at him and he just eats it up. I pretty much put together my own stuff there because I end of feeling guilty when I don't do so much of the packaged curriculums. I just don't feel like I need 12 books about oceans or Lewis and Clark to get the ideas across.

I am gonig to a homeschool convention next week and am a little baffled because I really haven't decided what I am doing for next year yet. I have a feeling I won't be buying much.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Welcome Disneymom3.

I'm sure you'll glean alot of good info from the homeschool convention, even if you don't buy anything, maybe you'll get some great ideas!

Handwriting is always a battle for me and my son. Unless, I am sitting with him and telling him step by step what to do. When we do that, his writing is beautiful.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #26
brat
DIS Veteran

For Foster son he does better with the sticker on the paper.

We are in the middle of travel by RV to WDW so he is not in public school right now.He is homeschooling with my other kids.

I made him up a handwritting workbook for the trip.I printed Star Wars chractors on each page.He loves it, he is willingly working on his writting.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #27
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
For Foster son he does better with the sticker on the paper.

We are in the middle of travel by RV to WDW so he is not in public school right now.He is homeschooling with my other kids.

I made him up a handwritting workbook for the trip.I printed Star Wars chractors on each page.He loves it, he is willingly working on his writting.
That's great! Anyway you can show what the paper looks like?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #28
brat
DIS Veteran

I will scan a page, either when we get home from our trip to WDW or when I get to Orlando.Boss has a scanner I can use at her Orlando office.

but I can describe it better

---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

On some of the pages I put a lightsaber pointing to light grey traceable letters
Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #29
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

That looks awesome. Luke would love something like this!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #30
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

I thought I would post some links that have been helpful for me. I don't homeschool my son, but I think all ASD moms have to 'supplement' their childrens education. I serve on our school districts special education parent advisory council and maintain the website. Here are some things I have found (and use).

http://www.dotolearn.com/
http://www.modelmekids.com/
http://www.autismshop.com/

For reading, my son responded really well to the LeapFrog videos 'Letter Factory', 'Talking Word Factory', and 'Code Word Factory'. He learns best with visual and auditory learning. It helped him learn some of the phonics rules through song. "When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking. O + A says O like in BOAT" (etc).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: