Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Homeschooling with ASD

This is a thread to discuss curriculums, planning, strategies, etc for homeschooling a special needs child with ASD.

We've discovered that there are a few of us who either are homeschooling this year or will be next school year. Rather than high jack existing threads, this is to begin a new one related to homeschooling and the challenges that homeschooling with ASD can bring, and how to overcome those challenges.
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
lucigo
DIS Veteran

I am not currently homeschooling, however I am preparing to in the future so hope you don't mind if I lurk!
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Thanks for setting up this thread, while we will likely not we have to go this route (although you never know for sure) I am looking forward to everyones experiance (and expertise) to share with parents that do.

bookwormde
Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Kat77
Now if I could just remember how to spell and how not to write in run on sentences....

We homeschooled last year. Right now we are very happy with DS10's placement but we never know what the future holds, especially with the education budget cuts going on (worried). I'd love to hear what others are up to.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
happily single
Left foot first!

Can anyone share with me any tricks, hints or suggestions for teaching my ds12 PPD/MR to learn to read? He is currently in the Sixth grade, but "reading" at a Grade 1 level (on a good day).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
happily single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
monkeysmamma
Earning My Ears

Signing up to see where this thread goes.

I'm HS'ing my 10 and 7 year old sons, both of whom have autism and other health issues. Academically, my 10 year old is close to age level, but my 7 year old is significantly delayed. Behaviorally though, the little guy is a lot easier than his big brother.
monkeysmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
I am not currently homeschooling, however I am preparing to in the future so hope you don't mind if I lurk!
Us too. I'm the other 1/2 of koolaidmoms. We are regulars on the behavior challenge thread. DS is 7 with Aspergers and in 2nd grade. He will be homeschooled next year. I'm sure koolaidmoms will be on here with updates as we begin our journey. We also have an NT 10 yo DD. She will stay in school for next year, for now, we are leaving it up to her.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Last summer we signed up for Time4Learning.com and used it just to keep DS7 from getting rusty and so that I could see how he might do with me as a teacher. I really liked the structure of a computer based program. My typical DD16 homeschooled for a semester in 9th grade using Florida's web based program and it went well, she just missed the social interaction.

So basically what I have learned so far is that I would like to use a computer based school program, and that we have to have lots of social opportunities on the side!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
brat
DIS Veteran

We homeschool our kids but ASD Foster kid is in public school, we plan to homeschool him next year if he is still with us.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome! I spent a long time in preparation to homeschooling. Tossed the idea around for years before we acted on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
Thanks for setting up this thread, while we will likely not we have to go this route (although you never know for sure) I am looking forward to everyones experiance (and expertise) to share with parents that do.

bookwormde
Welcome! I'm sure you will have lots of wisdom to share with us as well. I have learned so much about ASD from you, and that knowledge has really helped me understand my child better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat77 View Post
We homeschooled last year. Right now we are very happy with DS10's placement but we never know what the future holds, especially with the education budget cuts going on (worried). I'd love to hear what others are up to.
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happily single View Post
Can anyone share with me any tricks, hints or suggestions for teaching my ds12 PPD/MR to learn to read? He is currently in the Sixth grade, but "reading" at a Grade 1 level (on a good day).
Welcome! I was told that my son would learn best if we used a phonics based system and classical education phonograms because learning this way has specific rules, and there really isn't any whole word memorization. My son loves rules, thinks in black and white and doesn't like when rules have gray areas. Learning why oo says "eww" in zoo stays in his memory better for some reason than memorizing sight words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysmamma View Post
Signing up to see where this thread goes.

I'm HS'ing my 10 and 7 year old sons, both of whom have autism and other health issues. Academically, my 10 year old is close to age level, but my 7 year old is significantly delayed. Behaviorally though, the little guy is a lot easier than his big brother.
Welcome! What curriculums are you using? What adjustments, special considerations, and accomodations have you made at home for learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G'sMama View Post
Us too. I'm the other 1/2 of koolaidmoms. We are regulars on the behavior challenge thread. DS is 7 with Aspergers and in 2nd grade. He will be homeschooled next year. I'm sure koolaidmoms will be on here with updates as we begin our journey. We also have an NT 10 yo DD. She will stay in school for next year, for now, we are leaving it up to her.
Welcome other half! Exciting time for preparations!

Quote:
Last summer we signed up for Time4Learning.com and used it just to keep DS7 from getting rusty and so that I could see how he might do with me as a teacher. I really liked the structure of a computer based program. My typical DD16 homeschooled for a semester in 9th grade using Florida's web based program and it went well, she just missed the social interaction.

So basically what I have learned so far is that I would like to use a computer based school program, and that we have to have lots of social opportunities on the side!
Welcome! My NT 17 year old is using a computer based curriculum and he loves it! We are using a DVD curriculum for our 6 year old. He is repeating kindergarten because he forgot EVERYTHING he had learned in kindergarten after he had a grand mal seizure last summer. Now he is doing really well and we will continue working over summer. He even forgets new material learned on a Friday over a weekend, so we usually review a little on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
We homeschool our kids but ASD Foster kid is in public school, we plan to homeschool him next year if he is still with us.
Welcome!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Thinking of some things and techniques that have helped my son keep focused on school work.

- He uses a balance disc as a seat cushion. This allows him to keep his feet on the floor and rock, without tipping over a chair.

- We keep his work table empty. Anything on it distracts him, even a pencil.

- He insists that everything needs to be orderly. He has a pencil box where he keeps his crayons, pencils, erasers, sharperner, etc. He occasionally needs to check on the box to make sure nobody touched his things and moved them out of place.

- He will rarely ask for an attention break, but we can usually tell when he needs one. If he is over stimulated, the attention break will be to rest on the couch, or the Wilbarger Brushing. If he needs stimulation then the attention break might be spent bouncing a basket ball, running, jumping, doing the infinity walk, etc. Attention breaks are kept to 2 to 3 minutes. The need for attention breaks range from every 10 minutes some days to every couple of hours other days.

- chewing gum is a tool that helps my son keep focus sometimes.

- sometimes he needs a goal to work for because he needs motivation. Maybe a snack, or a few minutes spent on his area of hyperfocus once he completes the task, a sticker, etc.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
monkeysmamma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Welcome! What curriculums are you using? What adjustments, special considerations, and accomodations have you made at home for learning?
We've pieced together curricula from work books, online programs, and age level guides. I get a lot of advice and suggestions from their therapists and the special ed teachers we work with through the school district. Explode the Code and Handwriting Without Tears have been great for my ODS, while YDS is still at a preschooler level.

I think that's the biggest adjustment to wrap our brains around. The boys learn at their own pace and it's important not to get frustrated or discouraged. We incorporate all kinds of sensory breaks into the schedule and go with the flow so to speak. There are some days where they just can't focus. I spend some time on the scheduled work, but if it's clear that it's not working, then we move on to something else. Keeping everybody upbeat and motivated is key to making progress and not going crazy.
monkeysmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysmamma View Post
We've pieced together curricula from work books, online programs, and age level guides. I get a lot of advice and suggestions from their therapists and the special ed teachers we work with through the school district. Explode the Code and Handwriting Without Tears have been great for my ODS, while YDS is still at a preschooler level.

I think that's the biggest adjustment to wrap our brains around. The boys learn at their own pace and it's important not to get frustrated or discouraged. We incorporate all kinds of sensory breaks into the schedule and go with the flow so to speak. There are some days where they just can't focus. I spend some time on the scheduled work, but if it's clear that it's not working, then we move on to something else. Keeping everybody upbeat and motivated is key to making progress and not going crazy.
Great! I've never heard of explode the code. Going to have to check into that. We are using handwriting without tears at OT. At home we are using Abeka DVD program and they have very specific rules about handwriting and start with cursive. My son lacks the motor coordination and the memory, but if we guide him and remind him about the formation of each step his handwriting is clearly legible. Without our guidance, it's really hard to read.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

We also homeschool our kids, including ds 7 who has autism. He has been homeschooled for the past two years and while he is making some progress, it is slow. Makes it hard sometimes to feel good about homeschooling. I know in school, things were awful, but I definitely worry about my ability to teach him. Could use lots of support! We are currently using handwriting without tears pre-k- nearly done with this book, Math U See Primer- only about 1/4 the way through and a whole lot of hands on activities and learning. I would love to hear how others have faced learning challenges. I am currently learning ABA therapy so I can impliment it at home, but I am fairly new to the world of Autism. Two years seems long at times, but I still feel like I am learning new things everyday and I do not know nearly enough!
sl_underwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: