Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
mousemere
Planning a Disneymoon!

Red face Honeymoon Resort Advice?

Hey y'all! So I've posted here before, and I've been so torn about our honeymoon at WDW. Right now, we're booked for the second week in September at Port Orleans Riverside. However, my FH just got a new (and better!) job, and I think we're ready to splurge and go ahead and stay somewhere a little nicer. I know we won't be in the room *that* much but it is our honeymoon after all. I don't want it to feel like the Super 8 Motel when we come in from a night out or an afternoon at the parks.

So here's what I'm thinking - I think I want to stay somewhere neither of us has stayed before.

I'm between:

1) The contemporary - it seems like they've updated this place a lot and it gives me a very "adult" feel, like sort of akin to a Westin or another nice hotel. Anybody like the Contemporary? Hate it?

2) The Boardwalk Inn - I like that it has some Disney flair to it, and the proximity to the nightlife like Jelly Rolls and ESPN. However, the pool clown sort of scares me (not gonna lie) and I'm wondering if it's overrun with kids. Obviously we're going on a Disneymoon and we love kids, but I would like just a tad more "adult" feel when we're not at the Magic Kingdom.

3) Animal Kingdom Lodge - know pretty much zero about this but the animal viewing seems cool. Worth it? Nice romantic place? Is the transportation enough to provoke violence?

4) Polynesian - I stayed there as a small kid and I just LOVE the Poly. My only concern is that they don't have king beds unless you get a suite (which we're not ready to spring for). Is the rest of the resort's ambience worth it?

Just looking for some votes, some comments, and some input from some of y'all who have stayed at these places. What would do you do if it was YOUR honeymoon this September?

Thanks in advance!!
mousemere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

From your list, the only one I've stayed at is the Poly and it was lovely. Being able to watch Wishes from the beach is a definite plus in my book, and the transportation options are really good.

Have you considered the Wilderness Lodge? As much as I loved the Poly, the WL is a very close second. Plus it has a hot tub which the Poly does not have.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
pezaddict231
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Of the resorts you picked I would vote for BWI. We love going to Jellyrolls and the new rooms look amazing. There are lots of dining options around too.

We've stayed at AKL and it is very romantic and it is amazing to see the animals. I didn't find the transportation that bad, it was before Kidani was open, but it is less convenient for meals. Another benefit is rates are lower than the other choices, so that is more money for dinners/activities/etc.

Some thoughts on the others you have, the CR doesn't really appeal to me, I did stay there before the new rooms and I didn't care for it. The new rooms do look really nice and the location is great. Best MK view of any resort. If you do stay here I'd stay in the Main Building. I stayed in a Garden wing and felt really out of the loop.

The Poly is a gorgeous resort, but very very popular with families, so if you want less kids around this may not be the place for you. Benefits are transportation options and great theming.

My personal favorite, and where we stayed for our wedding, is the Grand Floridian. Love the location near MK and being on the monorail. Lots of great dining right in your hotel. Just love everything about it.

I'd look through pictures and see which resorts appeal most to you.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

We love AKL! I wish we could afford to stay there every time. It's definately a deluxe with great restaurants, views and scenery.

On the other hand we love POFQ (neighbor to POR)! That is our favorite resort within our price range. We find it romantic at night as well as relaxing. The boat to DTD is perfect.

If you can afford the upgrade - go for it. If it's going to put you in a tight place and have a cut in other ways - pass on it. It's your honeymoon. You'll really enjoy anywhere you stay (even a Super 8).

Best Wishes!
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boardwalk, contemporary, honeymoon, polynesian, resorts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: