Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Muppetmama
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22

Unhappy My Disappointment on the Wonder

Here is the problem in a nutshell: the Wonder is used to 3 and 4 night cruises. They are trying to stretch the activities and the CHARACTERS over 7 nights. It's not working.

I agree with everything in the good, bad and ugly Wonder post about lousy service, no clean linens, and the slow dinners. Add to that an overall dirty and poorly kept ship (I mean really when 5 kids a night have to pick different Karaoke CD's because they skip I think it's time to do something) with stained carpets and chipped furniture, a staff that is mainly new and not trained in Disney ways as far as I can tell, no characters at check-in and sign up-s for the tea party upon embarkation (which meant tickets were gone by 12:30). The number of kids and their behavior was a problem, but that's because kids were sailing free and the staff wasn't prepared. There was always a kid in the oceaneers club with an icepack for some injury. However, my main complaint was the characters.

When we sailed on the Magic in 2009 we were so impressed by the number of characters, their role in the kids' club activities, and how they would just stroll in to the kids club at various times to say hello. This did not happen on the Wonder. The character appearances for the first three days was goofy and pluto, pluto and goofy, goofy and pluto, and yeah finally mickey. Onboard were the fab 5, and chip and dale. These all had sailor outfits, tropical outfits and pirate outfits. Only Mickey had formal wear. There was also Daisy in a sailor outfit, Peter Pan, Hook, Jack Sparrow, Lilo and Stitch, and five princesses (Tiana, Ariel, Belle, Snow White, and Cinderella). That was it. On the Magic there was also Wendy, Smee, Alice, the Mad Hatter, Queen of Hearts, Dopey, Jojo, Aurora, Pinocchio, and Jiminy Cricket. The cruise director told me they "try to keep it fresh". I think that is an excuse to cover up for a lack of preparedness for seven day cruises.

On the Magic, Goofy stopped by the Lab to dance at the welcome aboard party. Not on the Wonder. On the Magic, Wendy stopped into the club to color with the kids. Not on the Wonder. In fact, Storytime with Belle was a horrible experience. She read her story so fast I couldn't even understand her. She led the kids up to the slide, and told them to slide down while she went down the stoars. Without waiting for half of them to return she finished her story and left. Now my daighter is crying and so am I. It was as if she couldn't give the kids 10 minutes of her time.

If you are sailing on the Wonder, and have never cruised Disney before, you will have a wonderful time. If you have sailed before, lower your expectations, because it isn't the same.
Muppetmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,476

We sail in 30+ days! I am so sorry for your experience...thanks for sharing, please if you can send a note to guest communications...I hope that Joel or whoever is in charge of concerns will read these experiences.

Many families make huge sacrifices to make these cruises happen...we would not be able to sail on Disney without kids sail free, but I hate to think that we get sub par service because the ship is not prepared. I know our cruise is one of the more packed ones, so I'm already gearing myself up for disappointments...but...when you read consistent quality issues even from huge Disney fans...it can not be overlooked. We had hoped to book the Fantasy for our 20th anniversary...but now, the world is looking a lot better....

Tara
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran
 
maria-fan-22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,322

Many times with the characters its due to them not having a CM that can be that character at a certain time. The Crew deserves their time off and expecting that they work all day long for 7day and then over again is ridiculous. Maybe YOU should have lowered your expectations. The characters you met were MORE than enough for most people. They can't have every character out all the time, it doesn't work that way. All of the Disney ships deserve a break in expectation because of all the new crew on each ship. The Wonder also deserves some because she is doing cruises that are longer then her normal routine. The characters are honestly the smallest reason for why I choose Disney. You listed many characters and that should be enough.

Everyone sailing on the Wonder, Have a GREAT cruise! It will be a special week!
__________________


I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Kailua's Belle
Mouseketeer
 
Kailua's Belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 416

Okay, all these negative reviews are really starting to worry me. I am nowhere near as critical as most people who take the time to post trip reports and reviews and usually take them with a big grain of salt. Heck, when we went to Disneyworld I was so worried about our dining spots but ended up loving everywhere we ate. I'm hoping that experience will hold true for our MR cruise next month.
__________________
Me DH DD18 DS9 DD8

Kailua's Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
MTmomma
DIS Veteran
 
MTmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
Many times with the characters its due to them not having a CM that can be that character at a certain time. The Crew deserves their time off and expecting that they work all day long for 7day and then over again is ridiculous. Maybe YOU should have lowered your expectations. The characters you met were MORE than enough for most people. They can't have every character out all the time, it doesn't work that way. All of the Disney ships deserve a break in expectation because of all the new crew on each ship. The Wonder also deserves some because she is doing cruises that are longer then her normal routine. The characters are honestly the smallest reason for why I choose Disney. You listed many characters and that should be enough.

Everyone sailing on the Wonder, Have a GREAT cruise! It will be a special week!
I am starting to get a little perturbed at how nit-picky people are coming across on this! Part of the charachters showing up? Yeah, it depends on wich CM are on board as to wich charachters they are able to bring out. About anyone can hide in a mickey suit, but the princesses? yeah they have to have a passing resemblance, and yeah people DO deserve breaks! It sounds like you were expecting "The World" and got "The State." Ease up a bit will ya?
__________________
Naomi (32) DS (10) Zazu
MTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
drparoo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 648

I simply don't understand (well, maybe I do) why at least three of these posters TODAY have said very similar things in almost exact styles of writing and all have had one or two posts. It's just odd.

Anyway, I'm sorry people had a bad Wonder cruise. For those of you who have cruises coming up but can't or won't cancel, the only thing you can do is have a great attitude and hope that it was a fluke. Worrying is not going to help.

Good and bad reviews are always welcome, but being 100% negative says something about the posters.
drparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
disney 2010
DIS Veteran
 
disney 2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB CANADA :)
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparoo View Post
I simply don't understand (well, maybe I do) why at least three of these posters TODAY have said very similar things in almost exact styles of writing and all have had one or two posts. It's just odd.

Anyway, I'm sorry people had a bad Wonder cruise. For those of you who have cruises coming up but can't or won't cancel, the only thing you can do is have a great attitude and hope that it was a fluke. Worrying is not going to help.

Good and bad reviews are always welcome, but being 100% negative says something about the posters.
Funny I also wondered why the posters giving bad reviews to the MR cruises had very few posts .....I'm just saying.......

We leave tomorrow for LA and we will have a WONDERful time!! no matter how many characters we see, how the is food etc.....we will relax and enjoy whatever comes our way
__________________
disney 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,476

I find it more disappointing that follow up posters take every opportunity to diminish the OP's opinion...even the points about it being their 1st post, there must be a conspiracy...OR could it be that they were so sorely disappointed in their experience that they finally had a reason to come here and post something...there are many many who use these boards for research and do not want to post or do not feel qualified to post...I look at all these reports as a community service...
If we want to get paranoid, I'd guess those diminishing the reports are either CM's or related to CM's and therefore taking on a defensive approach, but I won't commit to that stance, but it just shows you how ridiculous it can get.

I get what she's saying about the characters...even on our Med cruise we saw them all over the ship...many came in the teen club and annoyed my son, I'm sure he enjoyed it but he remembers many coming in there...to only see 3 the first 3 days is not typical...sure, it could be that they just missed them, but this poster sailed in 2009 and was comparing it to a previous experience...I find this very valuable...and I'm sorry so many can't thank you for your sharing your experience but yet tell you what should or should not be acceptable to you....


Tara
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
natyrg
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparoo View Post
I simply don't understand (well, maybe I do) why at least three of these posters TODAY have said very similar things in almost exact styles of writing and all have had one or two posts. It's just odd.

Anyway, I'm sorry people had a bad Wonder cruise. For those of you who have cruises coming up but can't or won't cancel, the only thing you can do is have a great attitude and hope that it was a fluke. Worrying is not going to help.

Good and bad reviews are always welcome, but being 100% negative says something about the posters.
yep, thinking the same here thanks for sharing that. We have our first trip as a family (in 10 years) in almost 3 weeks!!! Hope that for those people with bad reviews can send a letter directly to DCL so they can improve.
natyrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Lissame
DIS Veteran
 
Lissame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kelso, WA
Posts: 1,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparoo View Post
I simply don't understand (well, maybe I do) why at least three of these posters TODAY have said very similar things in almost exact styles of writing and all have had one or two posts. It's just odd.

Anyway, I'm sorry people had a bad Wonder cruise. For those of you who have cruises coming up but can't or won't cancel, the only thing you can do is have a great attitude and hope that it was a fluke. Worrying is not going to help.

Good and bad reviews are always welcome, but being 100% negative says something about the posters.
I absolutely agree. I have read other posts that said there were characters in the kids' clubs on the Wonder...so which one should I believe?

My kids are older and we've been to Disneyland a zillion times. Characters are not my #1 priority for a cruise. I really think that people complain much more than they praise in general...I've experienced it at the parks so many times.

I have posted before that I worked myself into a frenzy last summer before our family Disneyland trip because of a huge number of negative posts about crowds, decline in food quality, poor shows, etc at Disneyland. I was almost in tears not wanting to go on our trip because of the enormous number of negative posts about what was happening there.

Guess what? When we got there--it was an amazing time. With the thousand+ people on the cruise, the people who have negative things to say (especially when things are new) far outnumber the people who have a delightful time and bother to post about it.

From the negative Wonder posts about the food I've been reading I was expecting food like my kids' school cafeteria. Then I just read the first installment of Stinkerbe11's trip report, complete with photos of the buffet on the first day. The food looks awesome to me! Loads of fresh fruit, a whole thing of shrimp...I'm going to be in heaven!
Lissame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
disney 2010
DIS Veteran
 
disney 2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB CANADA :)
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
I find it more disappointing that follow up posters take every opportunity to diminish the OP's opinion...even the points about it being their 1st post, there must be a conspiracy...OR could it be that they were so sorely disappointed in their experience that they finally had a reason to come here and post something...there are many many who use these boards for research and do not want to post or do not feel qualified to post...I look at all these reports as a community service...
If we want to get paranoid, I'd guess those diminishing the reports are either CM's or related to CM's and therefore taking on a defensive approach, but I won't commit to that stance, but it just shows you how ridiculous it can get.

I get what she's saying about the characters...even on our Med cruise we saw them all over the ship...many came in the teen club and annoyed my son, I'm sure he enjoyed it but he remembers many coming in there...to only see 3 the first 3 days is not typical...sure, it could be that they just missed them, but this poster sailed in 2009 and was comparing it to a previous experience...I find this very valuable...and I'm sorry so many can't thank you for your sharing your experience but yet tell you what should or should not be acceptable to you....


Tara
I appreciate and respect everyone's opinions on the boards and when I saw the first MR ugly review with one or two posts my initial thought was that person must have been very unhappy to have never posted before and suddenly decided to share their disappointment.

When I saw that second MR negative post by a "newbie".....

Coincidence? Maybe....
__________________
disney 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney 2010 View Post
I appreciate and respect everyone's opinions on the boards and when I saw the first MR ugly review with one or two posts my initial thought was that person must have been very unhappy to have never posted before and suddenly decided to share their disappointment.

When I saw that second MR negative post by a "newbie".....

Coincidence? Maybe....
Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, I do always see the positive in most...but more that I am informed..I am sailing in 30 days...so I have been reading every cruise meet of each MR sailing...consistently, there are complaints across the board...when I was researching for Med cruises last year (same approach, subbing for meet threads) there were VERY few complaints..mostly related to weather which Disney can not control...these are completely service related so I tend to believe them and not hold to any conspiracy theories...follow the facts..they add up.

Tara
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
smb6
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,211

There has definately been a lot of negative reviews lately about all three ships....

I am looking forward to our very first cruise (ever) on the Wonder this May and while I know we will have a wonderful time, I do have concerns.....

Personally, I could care less about the characters. My kids will enjoy them some, but my kids will be more than happy just being on the ship.....
*With that said, I disagree with the poster that said we should lower our expectations because they have new staff. I respectfully disagree- the price tag was not lowered and I expect top notch service even if the long cruises are *new* to the Wonder and even if the staff is new.....

My biggest concern out of all the negative reviews is the dinners- I'm not worried about not liking the food despite that many people have said the food is bad, we are so NOT picky and I'm confident the food will be fine with us- but I am worried about incompetent servers and overly drawn out dinners... I want the correct food and served as quickly as possible..... No two hour dinners please....

We are a super easy going bunch, not picky, and super excited about the cruise- I have zero intentions of cancelling this cruise and I know we will have a great time. But I do not discredit the negative reviews. Especially when there are this many, there is likely some truth and validity to the complaints....
smb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran
 
maria-fan-22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb6 View Post

My biggest concern out of all the negative reviews is the dinners- I'm not worried about not liking the food despite that many people have said the food is bad, we are so NOT picky and I'm confident the food will be fine with us- but I am worried about incompetent servers and overly drawn out dinners... I want the correct food and served as quickly as possible..... No two hour dinners please....

We are a super easy going bunch, not picky, and super excited about the cruise- I have zero intentions of cancelling this cruise and I know we will have a great time. But I do not discredit the negative reviews. Especially when there are this many, there is likely some truth and validity to the complaints....
Dinners aboard Disney Cruise Line are generally slated to last AT LEAST 1.5 hours. If you have late seating(like ours) they may last 2hours. My family likes the slow paced dinners and I would assume that many other do to. So if you don't want 2 hour dinners, Pluto's is open on deck 9.

As for posts like this. I am sure that their cruise was NOT 100% negative like their review. I choose to only 100% believe posts that seem to post the whole story.
__________________


I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
rhinosbiggestfan
Mouseketeer
 
rhinosbiggestfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hogwarts: Ravenclaw tower
Posts: 374

We went on the second MR cruise and thought it was WONDERFUL. My brothers and sisters loved seeing the characters (as did I!)!--my littlest brother actually almost knocked over Mickey giving him a hug!
__________________
Once a PRINCESS, always a PRINCESS...

rhinosbiggestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters, mexican, mexico



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.