Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #61
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State
Gardening is a fun and rewarding hobby

It is very nice to see new gardeners posting here!
mommytotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #62
missesdisney
DIS Veteran

Loving the Disney friendly forum for the not so good gardener newbie!

Ok I have a canteloupe plant with a bazillion flowers for like 2 weeks. They are mostly open. I wanted to 'help' with pollination but I can't tell a boy flower from a girl flower OR they are all girl flowers. Anyone have pics of the two flowers for canteloupe?

Have now 4 pumpkin or gourd plants (I am not sure but they look like pumpkin leaves - I planted both last fall) but don't think any pollinated when we were on vacation. So I'm hoping for new flowers and to help that along too.

Thanks for tips!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #63
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Pamelaz those are beautiful veggies!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #64
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Harvested dill, onions and cucumbers yesterday.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #65
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State

I have some dill planted in my garden, and had planted it before, but not used it. Do you have any recipes to share in using dill?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #66
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I have some dill planted in my garden, and had planted it before, but not used it. Do you have any recipes to share in using dill?
I use the dill primarily in a cucumber salad, that is a Polish tradition. It's just cucumbers, sour cream, white vinegar, salt, dill, and maybe onions. The dill and onions are optional. My mother didn't use either, DH's mother used dill, so I've used it and have grown to like the flavor.

We peel and slice the cucumber and then add salt, and put something heavy over the cucumbers. The purpose is to drain lots of the water out of the cucumbers. After 1/2 hour or more or less, I squeeze whatever water I can, then add white vinegar, dill, sour cream to taste. Served chilled. It is a Polish dish and brings me back to my childhood.

I love to use my garden grown cucumbers, so for us, it's mostly a summer dish!

Bobbi
Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #67
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State

Thank you for the recipe Bobbi, sounds refreshing.

I was also thinking of adding dill to salmon, and then baking it. My sister uses it at times on her salmon as well so will ask her for her recipe.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #68
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

Quote:
Thank you for the recipe Bobbi, sounds refreshing.

I was also thinking of adding dill to salmon, and then baking it. My sister uses it at times on her salmon as well so will ask her for her recipe.
Oh yes, I use dill on my salmon, I just sprinkle it on as I broil it. DH likes a more spicy flavor, so I use a Cajun or blackened bought mix on his, and lemon and dill on mine.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #69
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State

Yum, I want some salmon right now.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #70
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

Quote:
Yum, I want some salmon right now.
We had some on Friday! DH had a hankering, and I was happy to oblige!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #71
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Nice harvest pictures everyone. They've certainly provided a great incentive for me to get back out there and start preparing my soil.

Spring is springing in Melbourne and I got out to weed my garden at the weekend. The area near where the banana plant is growing....took me 2 hours to clear away the wilderness that had sprung up over the winter. I swear....someone hit me next year if I don't get out in the garden and do some weeding during the winter months.

Oh well....only another 90% of the garden to weed.

And I have a picture of the bananas we've harvested. I'll post it when I load it up.

Salmon? Did someone mention salmon and dill?

Take some salmon cutlets and make a stuffing by crumbing some bread and mixing with toasted pine nuts, sultanas, DILL and parsley.

Debone the cutlet and 'truss' up the salmon with some kitchen twine. (I've obviously not de-boned the cutlet in the picture....I forgot!)

Stuff the middle with the stuffing and bake in an oven (180 C) for about 15 - 20 minutes.

I love salmon and dill together!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #72
mommytotwo
From the Aloha State

Yes, I mentioned about salmon, and dill. Looks yummy!

My kids, and I picked some basil just before school to give to one of the staff members. The smell of fresh basil-can't beat that.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #73
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

Quote:
Yes, I mentioned about salmon, and dill. Looks yummy!

My kids, and I picked some basil just before school to give to one of the staff members. The smell of fresh basil-can't beat that.
I use my basil on home made pizzas. The taste and fragrance is wonderful! We have homemade pizza often when the tomatoes ripen!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #74
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

This weekend is the first weekend in Spring for us that live downunder.... Most definitely time to think about vegetable gardening.

I've spent close on 3 hours in the garden yesterday and DH and I spent another 2 hours in the garden today. All we've done is pull up weeds. I figure I've cleared out 2/3 of the garden beds; and will probably spend another 3 hours next weekend doing more of the same.

How I wish I hadn't been so lazy over the winter months and gotten in there to keep the weeds under control.

Still....it was such a pleasure to feel the soil and to work with it again.

I'm going to get some Wettasoil, Blood and Bone, Dynamic Lifter and Organic Compost either later today or tomorrow to rejuvenate the soil.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #75
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

That sounds like a good plan, Princess! What sort of temps, have you had over the weekend. Here in Ohio, we went from 96F on Saturday and today, Monday, the high was only 70F, if it reached 70 at our house. We had a chilly day, but DH and DSon worked hard at chopping down an invasive honeysuckle. They got about 1/2 of it, and DS promises to come again and help DH finish.

We'll soon be putting our beds to rest for the winter!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: