Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I have wild cherry tomatoes growing and a heap of couch grass. I also turned around the other day and there is a complete pumpkin vine taking over one corner of the garden.

Most of the tomatoes that I get are volunteers, and last fall, I had 3 small, but perfect pumpkins growing under them. The pumpkins may have come from the compost heap.

I must have had old seed, but finally after my second planting, I have parsley and basil germinating. I'll put them in the garden when it warms up. I love fresh basil and parsley!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
Noah
Easy, Direct, and Simple

Calfornia

Here in California, I am growing Nasturtium, Radishes, Kale, Collard Greens, Potato, Mint, and Tomato. My only problem is that the caterpillars kept eating the Kale and now it's the aphids.

I'm going to read a book to find out the best solution.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
tinkergrumpybuns
Mouseketeer

Had a back yard garden for years, even added a trio of ducks for bugging and "fertilizing". Of course best to keep them out of garden until established! I use raised beds.
Cukes, try making a half hoop over the raised bed ( mine are 4"x12") I staple the coated wire with the bigger rectangles to the edges and put a few stakes thru center so they don't sway in wind. I grow the cukes over them. Under I put stuff like lettuce what likes it cool so I can grown in heat of summer and reach under the hoop to pick hanging cukes!
For fast crop, try bok choi. Only plant a few at a time and keep adding as you pick.

I keep one area for herbs, the ducks run thru and it smells like stuffing, so I told them to knock it off! 8)
tinkergrumpybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #19
CustomCartoonChecks
CustomCartoonChecks

I like growing tomatoes, because there are so many varieties that can be used in so many different dishes from salads to soups. I grow various herbs, green beans, and just last year I started banana peppers. I will try out more red, orange and green peppers this year, as they are pretty easy to grow and are very flavorful. I grow spinach, also, because it is way more flavorful from the garden than from the local store (but it goes pretty quickly).
CustomCartoonChecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #20
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Started talking about the garden with my mom today, we plant at her house because she has more usable acreage.
The rhubarb is starting to sprout, they look fabulous already.
We typically plant yellow squash, pumpkin, hubbard squash, tomatoes (grape, cherry and beefsteak), corn, green beans, and cucumbers. And DD grows sunflowers, those do really well.

we've tried green peppers but they don't take well.

I have a huge front yard and I'm considering digging up the majority of it for a garden, A) so I can have more fresh veggies, and B) so I don't have to cut it!

I'd like to try potatoes this year, sweet potatoes and red potatoes.

Our school's head of maintenance is starting a community garden this year at the school. We have big plans! We will be doing ground plantings and roof top gardens. Hopefully we can get plenty of people to help out over summer.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #21
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

As previously threatened...er......promised. Pictures of my fruit and vegie gardening.

When I open my front door, this is the view I normally see. This summer, all we've had is rain, rain and more rain...so this rain is pretty normal too.

That area around the Japanese maple looks sad at the moment, but in spring, the Echium is in bloom.

To the left of that area, I have a weeping mulberry and a grapefruit. I have Salvia as an underplant, Snow in Summer, oregano and thyme as groundcover and border edging there.

I have hibiscus and buddleja bushes growing around the corner for flower power.

The grapefruit is doing well.

Here's that wild pumpkin, with my 1600L water tank kinda in the back ground.

Beneath my bedroom window, I have 3 lavender bushes that are in serious need of a cutback. The rains have been kind to them this year.

Looking to the right of my front porch is the duo apple 'tree'. It has granny smith on it in the picture. The golden delicious side of the duo didn't do so well this year. There is a lemon verbena on this side of the house as well. I love the smell and on a balmy night, I sometimes go out and crush the leaves for the smell.

My house and my son's 'house'. No prizes for guessing which is which. The cherry tree sits on this side as well...I think I seriously placed it in the wrong spot (the tree, not the cubby). This bed also has a chinese money tree that is incredibly prolific no matter how hard I cut it back. I also have a delightful yellow daisy bush in this bed. The border consists of seaside daisies. This is one of the beds that lettuce grows really well in.

(Yes, I have 2kW of solar panels on my roof)

On the right side of the Japenese maple, I have a very sad camellia (not in shot), a cumquat and the lime.

My limes get stolen a lot, but there is more than enough to keep me happy.

The lemon sits on the other side of the front gate (the lime on the other).

We don't suffer from scurvy in my household!

The garden bed on that side of the house looks like this. I tend to grow cukes and zucchini in this bed; and use lettuce as an edging plant. It usually works well.

Potato plants grow wild and mix about with the rose geranium under the lemon.

The orange is reasonable this year; but the poor gardenia is not coping well. Come to think of it, gardenia does not do well at all in my garden.

This is the Asian side of the house, down the side behind the cubby. The banana actually has fruit this year, the kaffir lime has heaps of gall wasp, you can see the galangal growing out and the taller bush at the back is the curry leaf plant. I use strawberry for the edge here. There is a taller tree right at the very back. It is a jacaranda and I love the purple hues in Spring.

The fence side is all English plants - azeleas and camellias. The interesting plant here is a soap plant groundcover (the green leaves) that you soak the flowers in water overnight for a soapy liquid that you can use.

On the other side of the gate is an area just wide enough for a small table and a very basic fish bath. That bath was in the house when we bought it. It is exceedingly small; but the goldfish are happy there!

This is the back of the house. I have a little fernery area and am constantly amazed that the ferns are alive!

The cherry tomato self seeded in the recycling bin that I've used as a vegetable potting container this year.

They were delicious!

My backyard is very small; and dominated by the apricot tree. Apricots were good last year; but way too much rain this year.

This back bed is a mess. DH started putting roses in there...everyone of them has died, except for the Lincoln rose. It has a lovely scent and I'm waiting for it to fall over. I have a couple of asparagus crowns, a grapevine and a couple of chilean guava shrubs that live in this mess. None of them very productive.

I have an olive tree on the other side of that bed. Olives are looking halfway decent this year. The jacaranda sits on the other side of the olive.

I have an Italian lavender bush and a rosemary; both about 0.5 meters high and they grow under the jacaranda.

That's the extent of my garden. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

ps. Deb MickeyEars....Not sure if you remember but we met last year at the DisMeet organised by TinkinLouisian at SAB. Nice to cross paths again.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 03-19-2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Adding more clarity around plantings.
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #22
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I'm so jealous of all your fruit trees!!! I would love to have fruit trees here.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

I'd love fruit trees too, but I have no idea what they'd do. There is a cherry tree the birds get. I hear you can grow blueberries if you plant directly in a bale of peat moss, and use rain water (our water is too alkaline).

But I've started! Sort of. Last week, I bought the peat moss, today it was the compost and the potato and onion starters. And I bought some seeds. I went outside and started cleaning up all the dead stuff that has blown everywhere. This week, I will continue clean up, and get the soil amendments in the main garden and set up my new boxes and potato pot. I'm anxious to start planting the lettuce and peas. April, is just around the corner.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #24
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
I'm so jealous of all your fruit trees!!! I would love to have fruit trees here.
When we moved into the house, we didn't have fruit trees. The previous owner had geraniums all over the garden and it was more of a traditional cottage garden.

Is your climate suitable for fruit trees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopemax View Post
I'd love fruit trees too, but I have no idea what they'd do. There is a cherry tree the birds get. I hear you can grow blueberries if you plant directly in a bale of peat moss, and use rain water (our water is too alkaline).

But I've started! Sort of. Last week, I bought the peat moss, today it was the compost and the potato and onion starters. And I bought some seeds. I went outside and started cleaning up all the dead stuff that has blown everywhere. This week, I will continue clean up, and get the soil amendments in the main garden and set up my new boxes and potato pot. I'm anxious to start planting the lettuce and peas. April, is just around the corner.
I've tried growing blueberries twice in different locations of my garden. Like the gardenias, the blueberries pretty much die. I've got some Chilean guava "shrubs" (for want a of better word) and they aren't dying; but they aren't blossoming either. They were better this year because of all the rain we have had....but I'm going to need to try the peat moss on them to see if it works.

It's autumn over here....time to clean up, prune and keep the weeds down.

On the other hand, it's the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show this weekend. I'm hoping to go on Saturday morning. Maybe I'll get some ideas for winter vegies.

If I go, I'll probably take my camera to take some shots of the display gardens. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll happily post the pictures (assuming that I get there!).

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #25
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

You have a lovely garden, Princess...lots of variety.

Today I planted some vegetable seeds indoors. I do have parsley germinated that I'll transplant once the weather gets warmer. We have huge snowflakes coming down right now.

Bobbi

PS. I've had blueberry bushes. However, as soon as there's even a hint of color, the robins would eat them. I tried covering with a net and caught a robin's wing. The birds do not bother the raspberries, thank heavens!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 AM   #26
PrincessInOz
in

Thanks Bobbi! More snow???

I can't wait to hear about all your vegies and plantings in your spring/summer. My garden is heading towards hibernation.

Do you know what sort of soil your garden has? I love the thought of having blueberries but they never seem to work out in mine. My soil is a bit on the acidic side and sandy....supposedly perfect conditions for the bluebs; but I guess there must be something else needed....

Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #27
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks Bobbi! More snow???

I can't wait to hear about all your vegies and plantings in your spring/summer. My garden is heading towards hibernation.

Do you know what sort of soil your garden has? I love the thought of having blueberries but they never seem to work out in mine. My soil is a bit on the acidic side and sandy....supposedly perfect conditions for the bluebs; but I guess there must be something else needed....
Sandy and acidic is the sort of soil that blueberries are supposed to need. We grew the blueberries in PA and our soil was not sandy, but the bushes did thrive.

None of the snow we had yesterday stuck, so today our roads are clear for my commute!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #28
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

I planted today!

Potatoes in my giant pot from Disney, peas in one of the boxes I brought from Disney, onions and the first batch of lettuce in the main bed.

It's been so incredibly dry in CO this spring, I've been watering the bed all last week, trying to get the moisture meter to register as something other than dry. I think, I've got it, but I'm going to have to watch it like a hawk. I think I under-watered last year, and I don't want to start out at a disadvantage.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #29
Noah
Easy, Direct, and Simple

Rain

Because we've had a lot of rain in CA in the last few months, our garden is thriving. My forst time to harvest broccoli and what a joy they are.

I love the picture of the lemons blooming on the previous post.

When I have a chance, I will start reading my new veggie gardening book. Hopefully it willl teach me some trick with the aphids.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #30
tnkr mom
DIS Veteran

So excited, just taking a break here in PA from cleaning up our garden mess! Beautiful day FINALLY! Rain is coming tomorrow!

We have 5 raised beds one for herbs and lettuces
one various tomoatoes - lots of grape & big ones!
one for peppers - green, banana & hots!
one has strawberries, lemon balm and mint - pretty but WiLd ! By the time mint & balm are big berries are gone!!( great pollinator and easy keeping.
one for zucchini & yellow squash - even tried brussel spouts last year - looked cool-kids didn't like!

Every year I talk about going bigger and BIGGER! I love the "jam it in there to prevent the weeds" method, LOL!
Off Property 80's - All Star Music 90's, Wilderness Lodge '04 - PO Riverside '05, Rosen Center 1/06, All Star Sports 8/06, Animal Kingdom Lodge 3/07, Pop Century 10/08 for MNSSHP; DD March 09 Cheerleading @ Univ Trip, April 2009 DD Senior Class Trip Grad Night! And Lots and Lots of Trips to the Most Magical Place On Earth!
* Always looking for a deal to go back! *
tnkr mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: