Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
thelox714
Earning My Ears

Vegetable Gardening Anyone?

Hello to all,

I know there are many other forums for gardening but wondered how many people here on the DIS had their own vegetable gardens, regardless of size. I am only in my second season but enjoying every minute of it.

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants are just the tip of the iceberg. What are other DIS members growing out there?

Luis
thelox714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I don't grow veggies (pretty much just keep some orchids around) but if you ever go to Epcot you should check out the Behind the Seeds tour. It's an hour long guided walking tour of the greenhouses you see during the Living with the Land ride.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
mybestieismickey
DIS Veteran

We haven't planted yet, but will get to it in probably April. Our garden changes. This year we will likely do carrots, corn, green beans, green onions and tomatoes. We may try yellow onions again, but they didn't do too well last year and while our peas were great, we weren't too good about remembering to use them. Although my dog was more than happy to snack off the plant once she figured out what was there. Our goal this year is to be much better about using the produce. We garden box it, but we get lots of produce from our 6x6 box.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
thelox714
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
I don't grow veggies (pretty much just keep some orchids around) but if you ever go to Epcot you should check out the Behind the Seeds tour. It's an hour long guided walking tour of the greenhouses you see during the Living with the Land ride.
I love orchids. I think they are my favorite flower but they are not easy to care for and are too expensive to buy. I actually took that tour on our December trip and I loved it. Heck, I loved the boat ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybestieismickey View Post
We haven't planted yet, but will get to it in probably April. Our garden changes. This year we will likely do carrots, corn, green beans, green onions and tomatoes. We may try yellow onions again, but they didn't do too well last year and while our peas were great, we weren't too good about remembering to use them. Although my dog was more than happy to snack off the plant once she figured out what was there. Our goal this year is to be much better about using the produce. We garden box it, but we get lots of produce from our 6x6 box.
I haven't tried corn yet but I have tried yellow onions from seed and they are a hard bunch. I know I can buy the "sets" but I get more satisfaction from seeing it grow from something so small.

I tried growing snow peas last year and loved them but my issue was getting them into the house. I would drop one into my basket and eating one. I never really got much but they grew really well.

I'm lucky enough to have about 100 sq ft of actual garden space and much more room for as many containers as I please. I am looking into doing more vertical gardening to get more out of it.
thelox714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I grow mostly tomatoes and cucumbers. Even though I've lived in our present home for 18 years and tried, I cannot get asparagus to grow here. They are perennial, and I had a wonderful crops when we lived in NJ or PA, but here, no.

I have raspberry plants and they are easy to grow and very prolific.

I have a small herb garden, and I love fresh basil and parsley and I do grow onion sets. I haven't had luck with rosemary and thyme, but I'll try again. Celantro grows well, but I'm not crazy about it.

Bobbi

DH and I enjoyed the Behind the Seeds tour . I always go to F&G at Epcot.

bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I don't have a vegie patch but I grow my vegetables in amoung the flower beds. Whilst it doesn't look as pretty or neat, I find that I lose less crop to the insects this way.

My garden soil is sandy loam; so I've found that lettuce of all sorts grows well, cherry tomatoes (no luck with any other variety), zucchini and squash seem to thrive. Potatoes also grow wild in my garden.
I've had moderate success with corn, pumpkin and eggplant.
Little or no luck at all with beans, cucumber nor snow peas.

I've got a number of (small) fruit trees - apricot, cherry, apple, black currant and practically every type of popular citrus (orange, mandarin, cumquat, grapefruit, lemon and lime). We also have a smattering of strawberry plants that we use as border/edging plants as well.

Herbs also do reasonably well in my garden. I use them as border/edging plants so I have various varieties of thyme and oregano.

I'm Asian - so I also have a curry leaf plant, galangal, Vietnamese mint and kaffir lime in my garden as well.

Sadly, cilantro, basil, parsley, lemon grass either bolt to seed or die in my garden.

Last year, we were away a lot; so I've not put in any vegies. Because we had so much rain, the fruit trees all seem to be growing well; but with very little fruit. I'm very hopeful for a better crop this year...and more time to plant the veg. Unfortunately, that probably means less time on the Dis for me...

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Princess, you reminded me! Mint grows very well. I have spearmint and peppermint, lots of it! Your garden sound wonderful!

bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead
What ever ya do try it, you wont be disappointed

Hold on to your tiller posters.Give me another month here in FLA,that way I know no more freezing,and I'll start posting pictures of my garden!!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics
Better get back to my laughing place for cheese

Location: 1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home"resort The Boardwalk

It's still way too cold here in the Garden State for planting but I am starting to plan. I'd like to try some new grapes and plant more lavendar. I plant herbs in between the flowers and also in large pots on the deck for easy access when I'm cooking.

We have flower gardens both annual and perrenial. An ever growing/expanding vegetable gardens with tomatoes, peppers, squash, asparagus, pumpkins, cucumbers, onions, melons, lettuce, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, herbs and a mini vineyard with chardonnay grapes.
Looking forward to everyones pics and growing tips this season.

Here are links to my pics:
Click the sunflower pic for more from our edible gardens.

click the Disneyland rose for more from our flower gardens

DebšošS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

I get excited for gardenling after the first of the year because I have to start planning out what veggies I want to plant (we have a short growing season here)

I have been doing reserch for seeds that are perfect for colder shorter seasons and was able to order some of these. I hope they will grow easier than the generic brand seeds that you get from Home depot.

I will be able to plant brocolli, snow peas, carrots and lettus (these all do well here) in april and will have to wait on putting out tomatoes (roma--love fresh maranara) until late May early June depending on weather. I also will be planting summer squash (I like pattypan--they did great last year) and I'm going to try my hand at growing cantalopes (seeds especially for shorter season)and a Watermellon (created for shorter seasons) I can't wait.

I have established Herb Oregano plant that thrives and I usually plant sweet Basil(brought my basil plant in my strawberry pot inside over the winter and it's did great--yum fresh basil every week) and thinking about Rosemary.

I tried to plant asparagus with the dried roots (they didn't take) but from what I've read you can plant seeds in a section in your garde just devoted to the aparagus (so it won't be disturbed) and seeds tend to take better than the dried roots. Asparagus still takes up to 2 years to establish but can live and produce for up to 20 years once established.

We have Strawberry plants, raspberry plants, blueberries (male and female for pollenating) wild currents.
Hope everyones Garden is a Success this year--there's nothing better than fresh veggies from your own garden.

Last edited by SGMCO; 02-15-2011 at 11:54 AM.
SGMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #11
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

I had to post when I saw where the previous poster lived. I am also in Arvada. This will be my 2nd year gardening. Last year, the lettuce, carrots and zucchini did really well. Also, herbs and my cherry tomato plant. Not so much the Roma or the larger tomato plant. Actually, it's funny. I had one Roma, that the main stalk snapped in the wind. I was so disappointed. But I staked really tightly around the broken area, because I read that it could heal itself. But I bought a second one. The 2nd one did terrible. Produced 3 fruit, and all rotted at the bottom. The one with the broken stalk recovered, and I got about a dozen or so, but they were small. I tried cucumber, onions and corn, but I don't think I had enough fertilizer in their part of the garden because while they all grew, they were stunted. I waited too long to get the peas started, so I am looking forward to growing some this year.

This year, I have some containers that I actually got from Disney, leftover from Food & Wine. We got them here, because I had a bunch of stuff stored at my parents that we had to move, from FL to CO anyway. But I have a large pot that I plan on using for potatoes. And some smaller boxes that I will use for the lettuce this year, and probably the tomatoes.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
SGMCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopemax View Post
I had to post when I saw where the previous poster lived. I am also in Arvada. This will be my 2nd year gardening. Last year, the lettuce, carrots and zucchini did really well. Also, herbs and my cherry tomato plant. Not so much the Roma or the larger tomato plant. Actually, it's funny. I had one Roma, that the main stalk snapped in the wind. I was so disappointed. But I staked really tightly around the broken area, because I read that it could heal itself. But I bought a second one. The 2nd one did terrible. Produced 3 fruit, and all rotted at the bottom. The one with the broken stalk recovered, and I got about a dozen or so, but they were small. I tried cucumber, onions and corn, but I don't think I had enough fertilizer in their part of the garden because while they all grew, they were stunted. I waited too long to get the peas started, so I am looking forward to growing some this year.

This year, I have some containers that I actually got from Disney, leftover from Food & Wine. We got them here, because I had a bunch of stuff stored at my parents that we had to move, from FL to CO anyway. But I have a large pot that I plan on using for potatoes. And some smaller boxes that I will use for the lettuce this year, and probably the tomatoes.
Hi Neighbor We'll have to compare how our gardens turn out and what was a success.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Princess, you reminded me! Mint grows very well. I have spearmint and peppermint, lots of it! Your garden sound wonderful!
My garden is a mess at the moment. We've had so much rain that the weeds are taking over the flower beds. Murphy's Law. I figured it was going to be a year where the drought in Oz might break and thought to give the beds a chance to recover. So, I deliberately didn't plant any summer veg this year...and also we were going to be away.

I have wild cherry tomatoes growing and a heap of couch grass. I also turned around the other day and there is a complete pumpkin vine taking over one corner of the garden.

Whilst my list of fruit trees sounds impressive, they are really only about 1 - 1.2 m high at best. But I might see if I can get out this weekend, weed and then take some shots to show you.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

We are in the process of buying a house and I can not wait to see how the sun hits the back yard so I can start a very simple garden. This will be my first attempt so it's going to be a big learning experience. I will be going with the motto keep it simple stupid! I guess I should starting read about growing stuff in NJ!! We have wonderful farms around us but would really like to grow some stuff on my own.
shinysparklybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
SGMCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
We are in the process of buying a house and I can not wait to see how the sun hits the back yard so I can start a very simple garden. This will be my first attempt so it's going to be a big learning experience. I will be going with the motto keep it simple stupid! I guess I should starting read about growing stuff in NJ!! We have wonderful farms around us but would really like to grow some stuff on my own.
I'm sure your garden will turn out great! we all had to have a start in gardening and it's a learning experiance and each year you learn more and more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: