Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Special Ed. info. on school/ town website?

The Story: I am an elementary special ed teacher in a small town. I work primarily in the regular ed classroom with the students and also take some kids out for specific reading services. Our town, like most, has a website. Administration wants all the teachers to update their websites. This is fine, except my colleagues and I don't know what to put on our sites. The classroom teachers generally update with what is happening in the class, homework etc... Since my students are included in the regular class, this would not work. The things administration has suggested instead violate confidentiality.

So, my question, what would you, as a parent, want to see on a special ed. teacher's website?

Thanks for any ideas!

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I would love to see information about the various techniques used. I know that only some of the techniques would be used for my child, but since we're in communication with each other being the team that we are, I'd likely know which ones so this would give me an opportunity to learn more about the techniques. It might also help open up further communication between parents and special ed teachers.

It might also be helpful to parents who are struggling to figure out how to get help for their kids if you had information about the evaluation process including how to ask for help in the first place. You'd be surprised how many parents are feeling lost and need help but don't know where to start.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I would love to see information about the various techniques used. I know that only some of the techniques would be used for my child, but since we're in communication with each other being the team that we are, I'd likely know which ones so this would give me an opportunity to learn more about the techniques. It might also help open up further communication between parents and special ed teachers.

It might also be helpful to parents who are struggling to figure out how to get help for their kids if you had information about the evaluation process including how to ask for help in the first place. You'd be surprised how many parents are feeling lost and need help but don't know where to start.
I only have a minute, but wanted to thank-you for your reply.

If any parent has had to wade through the internet to find some good sites, I'd love to know what you have found helpful. I'll look into seeing if I can post state/ federal law links, but I'm sure there are some other really great sites out there.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I'm sure you already do this, but in elementary here, a lot of teachers post links to educational games and sites, like Starfall and Boxer Math (those are ones I remember our older dd using). Also, since you teach reading, please share strategies, names of books for the kids to read at home that are especially helpful and entertaining (for instance, our younger dd is in SPED preschool and having trouble with rhyming, so I think of Dr Seuss books for that), activities, ideas for flash cards, homework, etc.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
I'm sure you already do this, but in elementary here, a lot of teachers post links to educational games and sites, like Starfall and Boxer Math (those are ones I remember our older dd using). Also, since you teach reading, please share strategies, names of books for the kids to read at home that are especially helpful and entertaining (for instance, our younger dd is in SPED preschool and having trouble with rhyming, so I think of Dr Seuss books for that), activities, ideas for flash cards, homework, etc.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I actually don't have any links on the website at the moment since the whole thing is under construction. I know the technology teacher has lots of educational game sites on her page so I will be sure to include them as well.

I knew I could count on the DIS to get those creative juices flowing.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

one more thing, again, I'm sure you've thought of this...but post teh homework on your website, even if the kids have to fill out an agenda already. If the kids misplace the agenda or notebook, the parents can look up the homework.

When older dd was younger, I really appreciated the teachers who kept their homework updated daily. Yes a child should be able to bring home their agenda....but from personal experience, it's surprising how often that DIDN'T happen!
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Thanks again for the answers, everyone! I've taken note and will run all the ideas by my colleagues. Hopefully, we can get something good going.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Eeyore5
Mouseketeer

I am a birth-2 special education teacher and our district wants everyone to have a web page too. My team (six of us) did one together. Is that an option for you? I have used some of the ideas other posters have shared. We also have a blog that our main page has a link to where we post articles on a variety of topics (many taken from other sources and re-posted with permission and credit given). We have addressed things like using cooking with your child as a learning experience and the importance of play. We post community events/resources. One resources is the county puts on a family fun night for children with special needs. Another is places to get food for up to half off. We also posted were to get a free Thanksgiving dinner. There are a couple parent support organizations that provide support groups and workshops. We post that information and links. We also put our contact information on the main page since it is hard to sort through the district's online directory. Especially if you remember your child's teacher's first name but not last.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore5 View Post
I am a birth-2 special education teacher and our district wants everyone to have a web page too. My team (six of us) did one together. Is that an option for you? I have used some of the ideas other posters have shared. We also have a blog that our main page has a link to where we post articles on a variety of topics (many taken from other sources and re-posted with permission and credit given). We have addressed things like using cooking with your child as a learning experience and the importance of play. We post community events/resources. One resources is the county puts on a family fun night for children with special needs. Another is places to get food for up to half off. We also posted were to get a free Thanksgiving dinner. There are a couple parent support organizations that provide support groups and workshops. We post that information and links. We also put our contact information on the main page since it is hard to sort through the district's online directory. Especially if you remember your child's teacher's first name but not last.
Thanks for the extra ideas - I'm adding them to my list. I especially like the idea about the community links.

We (there are four of us - servicing grades K-5 at the town's elementary school) technically have to have our own page. But, they can be the same. And, in fact, we thought it would make sense if they were the same since the grades that we work with change from year to year.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
brat
DIS Veteran

I also like skill builders that reinforce the help you offer in your classroom, links for websites that are helpful, and helpful tips.Maybe some artwork done by your students.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Thanks again for the replies.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: