Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports > California & the West Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Welp I know I haven't posted in a LONG time on this thread but a lot has changed since I last posted and since mom is paying for this trip and this is the ONLY trip she is taking with the grandkids this year we are still ON!

We are leaving in 2 weeks and we can't wait. At this point my dad is now going with us for part of the trip and as of now he will be leaving us in Portland although my mom said he might stay till Seattle but not sure. I have a feeling though since we already have the plane ticket for Portland he will probably go ahead and go then.

But anyway we are leaving on Sunday July 17th and heading to Crater lake as I stated and staying at the Lodge.

Then getting up bright and early the next morning and driving up through Bend, probably stopping for lunch in Bend and then going up through 97 to 26 and stopping at Timberline to show the lodge to the girls and then on in to Hood River and staying there for the night. We will be at 2 different hotels now because we added dad at the last minute and our orig hotel was booked. Then next day up 84 and onto the old historic hwy 30 and seeing the falls and then into Portland that night at dinner to celebrate dad's birthday at the Rheinlander.

Staying in Vancouver that night and then up bright and early and a stop at Voodoo donuts!! and then on to the zoo to meet up with Laurie and family. Then poking around portland the rest of the day and not sure about dinner that night but have to drop dad off at the airport (if he decides to leave that day) and then one more night in Vancouver.

Then early Thur heading up 5 and taking a detour to Mt. St. Helens visitor center and then up to Seattle.

Friday will be spent exploring Seattle and meeting up with another disney friend and then dinner at our favorite place Anthony's on the pier.

Saturday taking the Bremerton Ferry across and start heading down the coast.

As I mentioned earlier we want to stop in Astoria, Tillamook, Cannon Beach, and prob some other fun spots along the way, Newport, Florence to see the Seals etc and then once we cross the border I want to take the girls to Klammath and the big trees before we cross back over to 5 and head home.

So I will for sure come back and relate our journey when I get back!

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
mommaU4

The one who started it - DIS ladies do DLR
Well, I never said I wasn't insane. I just don't want them thinking that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post

So I will for sure come back and relate our journey when I get back!
I can't wait to hear all about it and see the pics!! Take me with you!! Especially to Voodoo donuts. LOL I've wanted to go there since I saw it on tv a few years ago!
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Well we are back from our trip and it pretty much went as I mentioned. The only difference is my dad stayed with us the entire trip.

I probably won't post pics because I took over 300 and just posting the 80 I posted to FB took almost an hour LOL and having to upload them to phtobucket then post them here is a major pain and I will be the first to admit I am too lazy LOL.

But anyway on day one we were up bright and early and headed out. Our first stop was in Corning CA at the Olive plant. We all love olives and I bought a bottle of garlic stuffed olives and mom bought some garlic ones and some cheese stuffed olives as well as some marionberry vinegar YUM!

We then drove on and stopped in Shasta for lunch. Our first and consistent experience the rest of the trip was clouds and fog around all the mountains. We could not see the top of Mt. Shasta at all. It was a beautiful clear day EXCEPT around the mountain. This became the theme of the trip. We had lunch at the black bear diner which was fun and good but it had a LONG wait. Very popular place!

We were then off once again and took a detour off 5 up 97 through Klammath Falls so that my dad could show the girls where he grew up. We went through there and then showed them Midland where he lived and his parents owned an old country store back in the 40's. We then headed up to Crater Lake and once again found a bunch of fog and even some leftover snow on the ground!

That was our first stop for the night and we got settled in and then walked around a bit and explored. Unfortunately it was pretty overcast and dark and the lake was not in it's usual splendor nor were the cute little chipmunks out. Also we had missed the last ranger talk for the evening and it was WAY too cold to sit out on the rocking chairs on the porch and overlook the lake.

We had a nice dinner at the dinning room though and turned in for the night. The next morning we had breakfast there as well and headed out as it was raining. We headed up 97 and had heard about some lava fields and I had been to some years ago so we decided to stop at those when we arrived in Bend. We found a few and unfortunately the ones we stopped at were not the ones I had been to in years past. They were neat however and mom and the girls and I took a hike on the trail. It was pretty interesting and then we took off.

We then had lunch in Bend with MORE rain. We headed up 97 again and then onto 26 and in to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. This is the famed lodge where they filmed the exteriors for the shinning. It is a beautiful lodge and it was fun to explore although again the mountain was enshrined in clouds.

We then headed down the mountain and in to Hood River where we stayed at a great hotel right on the water. We got checked in and then had dinner at their restaurant on the water. Another GREAT day!

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: