Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board > United We Stand
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #16
Maddle
DIS Veteran

No one will think less of him or question his patriotism if he fulfills his commitment and then gets out. He has done more for his country his few years in uniform than most people ever will in a lifetime.

It is very common for officers to separate from the military around or before the halfway point once they have met the terms of their contract. A lot depends on the economy and the general job market.

It is a good idea to keep it to yourself and not discuss with neighbors or coworkers.

Good luck.

Maddle
Maddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Darcy View Post
Hi,
my husband is a 1st Lt. in the Marines. He signed an 8 year contract when he was commissioned 5 years ago. He also has a Master's degree in Civil Engineering and is working on his PhD in addition to his regular duty. He was deployed twice to Afghanistan before we were married but now he will be stateside for 3 years. He's about to be promoted to Captain.

Ok here's our dilemma. He was offered a position by a very large engineering firm with good salary, benefits and pension. Of course he couldn't accept because of his military contract, and he wouldn't leave anyway without fulfilling the contract even if he easily could. He loves the marines but I'm pregnant with our first child and he's re-thinking his future. The engineering company said to contact them when his contract is up and if he doesn't re-sign, they would still want him, especially because he'll have his PhD by then.

Do any of you know how common it is for officers to leave the military when their contract is up? I don't want to ask the people here as we live on base and i don't want anyone knowing that my husband is even thinking about possibly leaving. It would put him in an awkward situation with his command, as he commands 30 Marines and he thinks he would not be a good role model if they knew he was thinking of a career change.

Does anyone here have an opinion or advice about this? Thank you!
From experience, no, he will NOT be looked down upon....

Happens frequently as a matter of fact.....

He will be a "Former" Marine...there are no "Ex Marines" (except those who dishonor the Eagle, Globe and Anchor).

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
DisneyFed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
Theodore Hawkwood
Earning My Ears

Has your husband ever considered the USMC Reserve? It would allow him to maintain military benefits and some added income.

Also a lot of officers do leave after their initial commitments in both military services I've served in over the past nine years (Navy (eight years to include three as an officer) and Army (1 year + and still serving)) so it's not unusual.

Currently serving Army officer.
Theodore Hawkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
lookingforward
DIS Veteran

My husband was a USMC officer for 26 years. MOST junior officers leave before they serve 20 years. Your husband would only be thought of as a national hero, having served his country, fought in war, etc! There could never be anything negative said about him in my opinion!

Your decision about whether to stay for the "career" or leave and do other things in intensely personal. Many of his peers will choose to move on to civilian lives. You should talk to other wives because I think you would be surprised at how receptive they are to your concerns (which are most likely their concerns too). A life time career in the military is a huge sacrifice and needs to be fully considered. I loved moving around every three years but I was the second wife and only did it for ten years. For an officer to be successful they need to have a supportive family.

Good luck and thank you to your husband and to YOU!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
Rumpus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Darcy View Post
I'm concerned that when the time comes and if he does leave, he'll be called unpatriotic. He loves his country and has fought for it, his combat experience being defensive rather than offensive, though, due to his job in Afghanistan. Do you think he'll be harassed or looked down upon if he leaves?
He doesn't actually have to leave. He could join the Marine reserves. Of course he will probably be deployed at some point in the future but his job would be safe. If he likes the Marines, that is one way of staying. After 20 years he could retire from the reserves or elect to stay in. During that time he would go up in rank. But there is no shame in having served your country and taking a career path in another direction. Thank him for his service, no matter how long he plans to stay.
Rumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
Mrs. Darcy
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for the Marine reserve idea. He just got home last week and we haven't spoken much about those plans because we're having our first baby and that's been our main topic of conversation for the last week.

He loves the Marines, but the civilian job offer would work better for the kind of family life we want. And it's in the field he's been studying for for so long. And I just wanted to add that I didn't try to convince him to leave. It was his idea after a lot of thought. His grandmother threw that at me and I was shocked, she's such a nice lady but she seemed annoyed with me until my DH spoke up. She comes from a military family and is a very proud supporter of our troops. Thank you all for your advice and kindness!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: