Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #286
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedbytheMouse View Post
(Ten points if you even know what Prodigy is, kids.)
Good Lord, you make me feel old. (I was a group leader on the LGBT section of CompuServe in college...)

Quote:
Plus I have a big ole crush on Daniel Radcliffe. I'm allowed to. He's legal now. Don't judge.
Did you catch him in Equus or How to Succeed? (I saw both.) That kid is so damned talented.

Quote:
Part of why I started blogging was to reach out to others in the LGBT community with a love for the Mouse. I have met some really fascinating folks who shared my passion and I am hoping to meet even more through the DIS boards. I hope I haven't broken any rules yet. I can see that one must be mindful of what one says and does up in here. That's OK. I can keep it family friendly. When we meet up and have a drink or two, I'll let it fly! I look forward to getting to know some of you!
I'm a Mousophile, but my partner is not so much. (He doesn't mind going once a year or so, but isn't a HUGE fan like I am.) Our next trip to Orlando will be in October for Epcot Food & Wine. (We're going to San Diego in March and to Virginia Beach/Williamsburg in September for a wedding.)

We are also New Yorkers (last stop northbound on the #2!) and always happy to make new friends and meet up for drinks or dinner. We're both foodies and eat out in Manhattan often. I'm a physician at a medical school in the suburbs north of the city, and David is a bartender at a catering hall on Park Avenue. Shoot me a Private Message, and maybe we can meet up soon.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #287
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Dr. G, I want to go to Broadway shows and have drinks and dinner!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #288
DrGaellon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskellingtonsgirl View Post
Dr. G, I want to go to Broadway shows and have drinks and dinner!
Come visit! We have a very nice sleeper sofa... NYC Pride is June 24...
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #289
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
Come visit! We have a very nice sleeper sofa... NYC Pride is June 24...
A good family friend has promised to take DS to New York when he is a senior, but I don't think I am invited. I would love to fly out and see you guys, but all of my vacation time for this year is allocated. I will keep the offer in mind, though!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #290
MovedbytheMouse
Be gentle, y'all. I'm new round these parts.

Thank you for the lovely welcome, Dr. G! I am certainly lucky to have a man who's as big a fan as I am (cough*enabler*cough). We're big, dorky kids anyway, so it feels like being in the parks makes it socially acceptable for the time that we're there. It seems like the boards are smidge slow, but I'm sure there are some good times to be had around and about!

I actually did see Daniel in H2S. I was kind of amazed by him. And this was before I'd seen any of the Harry Potter films. I missed him (and his wand) in Equus, though. I think he's got quite a career ahead of him. Plus anyone who plays a year in a show on the Broadway without calling out gets a gold star in my book. Have you seen his interview with Susan Blackwell where he sorts her laundry? If not, get thee there now! It's brilliant!

We live in Astoria and for the most part are big ole stinkin' couch potatoes. Tom's actually been a good influence on me since he doesn't drink. My alcohol intake has slowed to a trickle, but the upside is it only takes two drinks to get tipsy! I've met up with a few other local Disney bloggers (at Earl of Sandwich, natch!) and it's been a blast to talk about Princess Tiana and the 64-65 New York World's Fair and other Disney miscellanea. I think NYC Mouse Meet-ups are in order! Especially since I probably won't be here terribly much longer!
MovedbytheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #291
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

Quote:

Our next trip to Orlando is just weeks away and we will also be visiting Universal in addition to Magic Kingdom and Epcot. It'll be my first time back at Universal since I went with my drama club back in high school and they still had the King Kong ride. I would get all excited because I thought that that was what New York was really like. Minus the giant ape. Tom and I finally broke down and watched all of the Harry Potter movies for the first time over the course of two weeks last month, so we are super stoked to go to the Wizarding World. Plus I have a big ole crush on Daniel Radcliffe. I'm allowed to. He's legal now. Don't judge.
Welcome to the boards! I am hitting WDW in 13 days!!! I went to Universal last year and if you like thrill rides, you will LOVE The Wizarding World. The ride in Hogwarts is truly amazing. I don't think there's anything else in the world like it. The Spiderman ride was the best and it's still great, but this ride surpasses it by miles.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #292
MovedbytheMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Welcome to the boards! I am hitting WDW in 13 days!!! I went to Universal last year and if you like thrill rides, you will LOVE The Wizarding World. The ride in Hogwarts is truly amazing. I don't think there's anything else in the world like it. The Spiderman ride was the best and it's still great, but this ride surpasses it by miles.
Well, nuts! We will be like two ships passing in the night...er...or something like that. Bottom line is we'll just miss each other! I have the sinking feeling that the Spiderman ride is still going to be closed for rehab. It's supposed to open back up in March, but they haven't announced a date. Considering we're going to be daring souls trying to conquer the highlights of both UO and IOA in one day, one less e-ticket is probably more of a blessing than a curse! Luckily the hubby and I are very good parkgoers with similar tastes (though I'll never convince him to ride Mission: Space again...not even the non-spinning version) and are visiting during the off-season. Thanks for riding on the welcome wagon!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #293
Chuckers

Quote:
Well, nuts! We will be like two ships passing in the night...er...or something like that. Bottom line is we'll just miss each other! I have the sinking feeling that the Spiderman ride is still going to be closed for rehab. It's supposed to open back up in March, but they haven't announced a date. Considering we're going to be daring souls trying to conquer the highlights of both UO and IOA in one day, one less e-ticket is probably more of a blessing than a curse! Luckily the hubby and I are very good parkgoers with similar tastes (though I'll never convince him to ride Mission: Space again...not even the non-spinning version) and are visiting during the off-season. Thanks for riding on the welcome wagon!
If it's not a crowded day, you can do both UO and IOA in one day.. Start in IOA and go directly to Harry Potter Land at rope drop.

I did the major rides in IO by noon and was in UO right after that. However, I made the mistake of riding the roller coaster in UO and when I got off, I thought I was going to die. I was sick to my stomach with a major migraine. I think it was because, being a big bear, I was packed in and couldn't breathe properly, but it killed the day for me and left shortly after that. I have been packed it to coasters before and have never gotten sick. So, it might be the coaster.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #294
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I feel like an impostor... or an intruder... or an imbecile... not sure which, but I'm here!

I'm single (hint hint), live in Palm Springs CA, and at my advanced age of 49, still have not been to a Disney park. Yes, you read that right. I've threatened to do it multiple times but my l-o-w child tolerance and my lack of finding anybody to go with me has caused me to back away every time. It's on the Bucket List... or maybe the Hyacinth Bucket List, not sure. I figure if I sign up here, the peer pressure will be too much for me to bear and I'll have to go just to get everyone off my back!

So have at it. Make fun of me mercilessly. Everyone else does!

I am not making fun of your Rah, you poor deprived soul. There are a number of adult fans of Disney theme parks. In fact, I recently started on a web site that is aimed specifically at adults called Disney For Grown-ups.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #295
DrGaellon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
I am not making fun of your Rah, you poor deprived soul. There are a number of adult fans of Disney theme parks. In fact, I recently started on a web site that is aimed specifically at adults called Disney For Grown-ups.
LINKLINKLINK! Gimme!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #296
DrGaellon

Quote:
We live in Astoria and for the most part are big ole stinkin' couch potatoes.
My best friend and his boyfriend are also in Astoria; we were there for New Year's.

Quote:
I think NYC Mouse Meet-ups are in order! Especially since I probably won't be here terribly much longer!
My sister is also planning to move down there no later than summer...
Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #297
DrGaellon

Quote:
we're going to be daring souls trying to conquer the highlights of both UO and IOA in one day, one less e-ticket is probably more of a blessing than a curse!
We did both parks in one day in June, the week following GayDays - so not exactly SLOW. (Though it was a Thursday, the first week of June, so not as busy as it COULD have been.) I don't think there's anything we wanted to see at Universal we skipped. I'm not a roller coaster rider - The Mummy is about as wild as I'll tolerate (though David did get me on both Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, which I'd never been brave enough to do before), so we skipped the monster coaster at UO (I forget the name).
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #298
Chuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
Put Disney For Grown-ups in my address bar and viola! I joined...great site!!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #299
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Considering we're going to be daring souls trying to conquer the highlights of both UO and IOA in one day, one less e-ticket is probably more of a blessing than a curse!
When I lived there, we would hit both parks in one day. There were a few less attractions then there are now, but it was still feasible.

I went back with some friends a couple years back and we did UO & IoA for four days. They took a lot of cigarette breaks. I don't know how else we didn't die of shear boredom.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #300
MovedbytheMouse

Phew! I feel much better about our two park/one day approach to Universal. It was looking from some of the other areas on this board like we were on a fool's mission. There are all of these folks saying that we needed at least a day per park. Thanks to my new squirrelfriends here for letting us know that it's doable!

The trip is so close that I'm getting a severe case of pre-Disney anxiety disorder (P-DAD?). My iPod is shuffling my all Disney mix, I'm listening to all of my park audio internet radio stations all day at work and spending even more time than usual on Disney-related websites. (Really, though I'll take any excuse to mentally escape from my job.) I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: