Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
saveaquarter
ready for my fifth trip!

Tangle Toys and Related Fidgets

Hey guys! I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with Tangle therapy toys (these bad boys, if you aren't) and how wonderful they are for anyone with sensory issues. My husband, who has Aspergers, is in love with them. His is in desperate need of replacing, and I was thinking of getting him something similar as well.

What sort of sensory fidget toys and activities do you guys have and use, either yourselves or with your children? I was also considering getting him a Hoberman sphere. I'd be very interested in hearing what you guys know about. Are there any concoctions we could make at home similar too oobleck (cornstarch and water) that he might enjoy playing with? I'm looking for ideas that deal with tactile stimulation. J has been very overloaded lately and anything to help him soothe is more than welcome.

He's been dying for "something to play with", but he also has Multiple Sclerosis, and his usual video games and computer games are a little beyond what his motor skills can handle during this flare. Even the Lego sets he got for Christmas are sitting idly and waiting for his dexterity to return. Anything fun, entertaining, and simple enough for his weak hands would be wonderful. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by saveaquarter; 01-09-2011 at 09:13 PM.
saveaquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

My DS and I are more into puzzels and gadgets, but they serve the same function (engaging the mind while supplying and requiring some coordinated fine motor physical activity)

bookwormde
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Cracker barrel sells 2 really cheap but awesome fidget toys, I'll see if I can find pictures. My son takes them on the bus every day.
http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/online...GJ9HGFX0AG80C8

I can't find the other one. My 19yo "typical" son can solve a Rubik's cube in about 10 seconds, has had 24 hour cubing marathons, and can solve one blind folded. Yea.......
Old 01-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
brat
DIS Veteran

Does he like Moon dough? or Moon sand?
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran

We like play doh and Model Magic. Model magic is a little harder to work with and forces you to really pull it apart or really squish it to do what you want.

Thera putty is awesome. At home and in OT we stick things (paper clip, penny, different sized beads, small blocks) into the theraputty and my son has to pull it out.

I wish I still had this OT kit we had, I'd send it to you but I all ready gave it away. It was called the Fine Motor Fun Deck by SuperDuper. It's small so you can take it with you places and my son really enjoyed the activities. His fine motor skills really improved with it.
ratlenhum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: